Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Irish media hysteria

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

You simply don’t understand the grave reality, and that’s fine. Denial is often a coping mechanism also.

Oh but i do. I've already explained to you but you chose to ignore- your "grave reality" isn't remotely concerning to me as I've been following the stats. To repeat again I'm not stopping you from reacting the way you see appropriate or stopping you take whatever measures you feel you need to protect yourself. I only wish you'd stop trying to get me to think the same. The stats don't lie and I've long since concluded it's not something that warrants hysteria

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Markx

Thoughts are that the original post is confused and lacks focus. The fourth section is particularly weak.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Ignorance is also a thing!

As is blind hysteria. You want that then knock yourself out. Just leave those of us that aren't interested in pissing ourselves daily alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

road_high wrote:
    Oh but i do. I've already explained to you but you chose to ignore- your "grave reality" isn't remotely concerning to me as I've been following the stats. To repeat again I'm not stopping you from reacting the way you see appropriate or stopping you take whatever measures you feel you need to protect yourself. I only wish you'd stop trying to get me to think the same. The stats don't lie and I've long since concluded it's not something that warrants hysteria

Maybe your analysis has caused you to under react to the situation?

road_high wrote:
    As is blind hysteria. You want that then knock yourself out. Just leave those of us that aren't interested in pissing ourselves daily alone.

Pissing ourselves?

• Advertisement

GazzaL wrote: »
    Not really. Lots of talk about holidays, the weather, football, restaurants/pubs, work, etc.

In a work context Covid 19 virtually never comes up anymore. We are all too busy and focused on the many tasks in hand- it doesn't pay any bills fretting over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

I think we've been very quick to forget the near-apocalyptic scenes in Italy just a few months ago. Doctors having to play god, deciding who lives and dies because there weren't enough ventilators for everyone who needed them.

Thank f*** we didn't have that here, it was heartbreaking to watch even from a distance. But because it didn't happen here, the abundance of caution the government is taking is seen as 'hysteria' by some.

road_high wrote:
    In a work context Covid 19 virtually never comes up anymore. We are all too busy and focused on the many tasks in hand- it doesn't pay any bills fretting over it.

What about those that find themselves outta work because of this?

Maybe your analysis has caused you to under react to the situation?

Why would i need to react in any way other than the way I've detailed?

road_high wrote:
    Why would i need to react in any way other than the way I've detailed?

Maybe you're misinterpreting your analysis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,147 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

KiKi III wrote: »
    I think we've been very quick to forget the near-apocalyptic scenes in Italy just a few months ago. Doctors having to play god, deciding who lives and dies because there weren't enough ventilators for everyone who needed them.

Thank f*** we didn't have that here, it was heartbreaking to watch even from a distance. But because it didn't happen here, the abundance of caution the government is taking is seen as 'hysteria' by some.

Ah tbf some of them were saying "its only a flu" in the middle of the Italy situation. They are hardly gunna have educated themselves since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

Poor attempt OP.

What about those that find themselves outta work because of this?

Well making a daily song and dance about it isn't going to help them then is it? I've posted at length about the self inflicted harm the hysteria has caused to people's livelihoods and they have my full support and empathy- because it could be any of us depending on what industry we work in.

pjohnson wrote:
    Ah tbf some of them were saying "its only a flu" in the middle of the Italy situation. They are hardly gunna have educated themselves since.

Some still saying it, probably educated in the don uni

road_high wrote:
    Well making a daily song and dance about it isn't going to help them then is it? I've posted at length about the self inflicted harm the hysteria has caused to people's livelihoods and they have my full support and empathy- because it could be any of us depending on what industry we work in.

Self inflicted harm?

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Thoughts?
    I hate posts that end with "thoughts?"

Thoughts? I hate posts that end with "thoughts?"

Thank God I've no brain, thoughts only wreck your head

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

road_high wrote: »

That's not my experience at all. Everyone in work talks about it constantly.

You wouldn't happen to be an employer, would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

There is definitely something to be said for scaling back your time spent reading/watching news imo. I was one of those at the start scouring every article. I still hop on boards (obviously) and I check in on rte.ie in the evening just to stay informed. But yeah my mental health probably would be worse now if I hadn't accepted that while I can control some things (wear a mask, good hygiene, social distancing...), others are out of my control and, while I need to be aware of what is going on I also need to not become obsessed with it.

road_high wrote:
    Well i never asked you to talk to me, did I? If you're looking for an echo chamber of virtue signalling I'm sure you'll find it. You can tell each other how marvellous you are and saving lives etc etc. doing whatever it is you're doing

Are you okay, you sound a little bitter, you're with friends, it's okay

• Advertisement

ShooterSF wrote:
    There is definitely something to be said for scaling back your time spent reading/watching news imo. I was one of those at the start scouring every article. I still hop on boards (obviously) and I check in on rte.ie in the evening just to stay informed. But yeah my mental health probably would be worse now if I hadn't accepted that while I can control some things (wear a mask, good hygiene, social distancing...), others are out of my control and, while I need to be aware of what is going on I also need to not become obsessed with it.

No harm in keeping up to date, it's an incredibly interesting thing to follow, but if its affecting your well being, walk away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭eggy81

No one in my work talks about it unless something big like this wknd or tge times the beaches were getting packed occurs. I don't even consider the chance of getting infected any more in work because we have decent mitigating controls in place and neved need to get close to another worker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Some of the nonsense being spouted here is genuinely worrying.

The key thing that needs to happen to avoid the types of scenes from Italy happening here is that people need to constantly change and de risk their behaviour (social distance, use masks, meet outdoors etc).

Changing people's behaviour is really f***ing tough. Ask any marketer, social scientist or economist. It can be close to impossible in many cases. At a minimum it tends to involve relentless repetition.

Things like daily press conferences, daily numbers, media reports etc are tools to try and keep people acting in a safer way than they otherwise would.

Criticising using those tools, and telling people to "just start living their lives" ranks up there with some of the stupidest comments I've seem on the internet in recent times. Genuinely f***ing stupid.

padser wrote:
    Changing people's behaviour is really f***ing tough. Ask any marketer, social scientist or economist. It can be close to impossible in many cases. At a minimum it tends to involve relentless repetition.

Surely marketer's would be the bestest, those cnuts have been bullsh1tting us forever, and we ve lapped it up

gabeeg wrote: »
    That's not my experience at all. Everyone in work talks about it constantly.

You wouldn't happen to be an employer, would you?

No, not an employer. Back in the spring it was a topic of conversation but life moved on as it does. Depends on the work environment and situation I guess. if you were very public facing like in a large store then it would be omnipresent.
    I guess it helps some people talking about it, there's some kind of reassurance or solidarity for them in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,140 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I don't understand why some people are so obsessed withe the media. They talk about everything thats their job, most people just ignore them. Nobody is living in fear because of them talking about covid. They trigger cetain snowflakes who then asume everyone is as angry as them but thats not the case. Live your life ignore the newspapers and the radio.

road_high wrote:
    No, not an employer. Back in the spring it was a topic of conversation but life moved on as it does. Depends on the work environment and situation I guess. if you were very public facing like in a large store then it would be omnipresent. I guess it helps some people talking about it, there's some kind of reassurance or solidarity for them in that.

Err emm, this is probably the most significant global event since ww2, we re still knee deep in it!

Err emm, this is probably the most significant global event since ww2, we re still knee deep in it!

That's great. But life goes on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

road_high wrote: »
    No, not an employer. Back in the spring it was a topic of conversation but life moved on as it does. Depends on the work environment and situation I guess. if you were very public facing like in a large store then it would be omnipresent.
    I guess it helps some people talking about it, there's some kind of reassurance or solidarity for them in that.

I'm not being funny, but it could just be you.

• Advertisement

road_high wrote:
    That's great. But life goes on

Life went on during the war also, but it was dramatically changed, during and after, we re currently probably experiencing something similar, things could in fact change dramatically for us all after this one

Advertisement