Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

The Irish media hysteria

  • #1
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭ RunningFlyer


    Forgive me for starting a thread if one already exists - I’ve read so many different threads and posts I’ve probably missed the obvious however...

    It seems everyone is waiting daily for the 6pm figures to find out the latest cases and deaths situation. It’s scary to see how every single media outlet in this country is putting all their attention on this (yes, gloom sells). Not just RTE, but the other stations and every single paper has the latest on the front page in some form or another.

    Contrast this to European media - search any of the national news channels or newspapers and you’ll find its never (usually) the top story. They are over the initial panic and are I guess realise they are in for the long haul with this virus.

    People here are only obsessed with three things; deaths, cases and the “R” number. I’m not a Statistician or epidemiologist but a few weeks ago when there was concern and hype raised over the R number increasing beyond 1 on the basis of 20 odd cases or so made me completely lose faith in the strategy of the government/NPHET. 10mins reading about R numbers will prove it’s not an effective measurement with low numbers yet this was peddled across the media.

    The fear-mongering of the Irish media is seriously starting to affect the mental health of the population - I’m sure everyone has witnessed it on a personal level either themselves or their friends/family. If you’re get stressed I highly recommend deleting the news apps, distract yourself around 6pm when you know the figures will be released, and try enjoy the last of the long days and sunshine because if the current media narrative continues, it’s going to be a miserable winter.

    Ireland needs to evolve from our sheepish culture and learn to think outside the box and make our own opinions of matters. The media need to tone down the hysteria and the government need to realise this virus is here to stay so have to start making some difficult decisions against the ultra-conservative NPHET advice to safeguard the country.

    Thoughts?


«13456719

Comments



  • Forgive me for starting a thread if one already exists - I’ve read so many different threads and posts I’ve probably missed the obvious however...

    It seems everyone is waiting daily for the 6pm figures to find out the latest cases and deaths situation. It’s scary to see how every single media outlet in this country is putting all their attention on this (yes, gloom sells). Not just RTE, but the other stations and every single paper has the latest on the front page in some form or another.

    Contrast this to European media - search any of the national news channels or newspapers and you’ll find its never (usually) the top story. They are over the initial panic and are I guess realise they are in for the long haul with this virus.

    People here are only obsessed with three things; deaths, cases and the “R” number. I’m not a Statistician or epidemiologist but a few weeks ago when there was concern and hype raised over the R number increasing beyond 1 on the basis of 20 odd cases or so made me completely lose faith in the strategy of the government/NPHET. 10mins reading about R numbers will prove it’s not an effective measurement with low numbers yet this was peddled across the media.

    The fear-mongering of the Irish media is seriously starting to affect the mental health of the population - I’m sure everyone has witnessed it on a personal level either themselves or their friends/family. If you’re get stressed I highly recommend deleting the news apps, distract yourself around 6pm when you know the figures will be released, and try enjoy the last of the long days and sunshine because if the current media narrative continues, it’s going to be a miserable winter.

    Ireland needs to evolve from our sheepish culture and learn to think outside the box and make our own opinions of matters. The media need to tone down the hysteria and the government need to realise this virus is here to stay so have to start making some difficult decisions against the ultra-conservative NPHET advice to safeguard the country.

    Thoughts?

    I’m not




  • Forgive me for starting a thread if one already exists - I’ve read so many different threads and posts I’ve probably missed the obvious however...

    It seems everyone is waiting daily for the 6pm figures to find out the latest cases and deaths situation. It’s scary to see how every single media outlet in this country is putting all their attention on this (yes, gloom sells). Not just RTE, but the other stations and every single paper has the latest on the front page in some form or another.

    Contrast this to European media - search any of the national news channels or newspapers and you’ll find its never (usually) the top story. They are over the initial panic and are I guess realise they are in for the long haul with this virus.

    People here are only obsessed with three things; deaths, cases and the “R” number. I’m not a Statistician or epidemiologist but a few weeks ago when there was concern and hype raised over the R number increasing beyond 1 on the basis of 20 odd cases or so made me completely lose faith in the strategy of the government/NPHET. 10mins reading about R numbers will prove it’s not an effective measurement with low numbers yet this was peddled across the media.

    The fear-mongering of the Irish media is seriously starting to affect the mental health of the population - I’m sure everyone has witnessed it on a personal level either themselves or their friends/family. If you’re get stressed I highly recommend deleting the news apps, distract yourself around 6pm when you know the figures will be released, and try enjoy the last of the long days and sunshine because if the current media narrative continues, it’s going to be a miserable winter.

    Ireland needs to evolve from our sheepish culture and learn to think outside the box and make our own opinions of matters. The media need to tone down the hysteria and the government need to realise this virus is here to stay so have to start making some difficult decisions against the ultra-conservative NPHET advice to safeguard the country.

    Thoughts?

    I radio is the worst. Literally non stop covid ****e.




  • There are people who are afraid to step outside their front door because they've been watching and listening to non-stop COVID news. It's frightening.

    On the other hand, I know a lot of people who've almost stopped watching the news because it's the same old ****e, different day...




  • I agree. It's like whenever there's a storm alert it turns out to be a breeze.




  • Shocker that 1 in 100 year global pandemic is main news story......


  • Advertisement


  • GazzaL wrote: »
    There are people who are afraid to step outside their front door because they've been watching and listening to non-stop COVID news. It's frightening.

    On the other hand, I know a lot of people who've almost stopped watching the news because it's the same old ****e, different day...

    You mean people who doesn't give a sh1t right. Been your attitude over multiple threads. At least you can enjoy your freedom of posting. For OP wow, starting another pointless thread to inform rest of the population that virus is basically not here and everyone is living in fear. Guess what cautious people are not living in fear, they take precautions and keep on with life. Fear mongering are they?




  • xhomelezz wrote: »
    You mean people who doesn't give a sh1t right. Been your attitude over multiple threads. At least you can enjoy your freedom of posting. For OP wow, starting another pointless thread to inform rest of the population that virus is basically not here and everyone is living in fear. Guess what cautious people are not living in fear, they take precautions and keep on with life. Fear mongering are they?

    I’m not denying the virus is here at all, my point is the media has been overboard with this. Fair enough when the outbreak started but the fact there is still such a level of hysteria is my point.

    And yes, I am cautious also and most of my close circle are and have been from the start. I have also been abroad since this started and seen how much better other countries are dealing with things and enforcement.

    On the subject, whilst abroad I was in a pub that a staff member subsequently tested positive the night I stopped by for 2 drinks - was informed by a relative as it was in the local news. Wasn’t concerned about potentially receiving a phone call for contact tracing as all the bar’s precautions were a lot stricter than what I have witnessed locally with my €9 meal pints.

    The sooner people feel confident to get on with living with this thing the better. I am just fed up of hearing friends and family constantly bring up the daily figures!

    Cheers




  • GazzaL wrote: »
    There are people who are afraid to step outside their front door because they've been watching and listening to non-stop COVID news. It's frightening.

    On the other hand, I know a lot of people who've almost stopped watching the news because it's the same old ****e, different day...

    I’ve stopped watching rte. Or following stupid idiot politicians on Facebook. Not good for mental health daily immersing yourself in this mindless panic




  • dere34 wrote: »
    I agree. It's like whenever there's a storm alert it turns out to be a breeze.



    Ireland to be battered by storm, reality = a leaf blew off a tree in my garden.




  • Media is algorithm click bait driven these days.


  • Advertisement


  • sydthebeat wrote:
    Shocker that 1 in 100 year global pandemic is main news story......


    I think it's fcuking disgraceful, there was a cat stuck up a tree today in my neighbourhood, not one fcuking journalist turned up, absolutely disgraceful stuff!




  • eggy81 wrote: »
    I radio is the worst. Literally non stop covid ****e.



    I remember back in March at the start of this, some i radio DJ asking a guy who rang in to do a quiz. she asks him what he was up to. he says ah staying in, keeping the head down. she says good man, we have to all stay in. the country wasnt even in a lockdown at that stage and you were better off out walking on the beach or going fishing or whatever, not hiding in your house. I havent listened to that station since march as they never stopped going on about it, literally no other news item was talked about.




  • A lot of you are nowhere near scared enough. Ostensibly at least.

    As for the OPs assessment that the global pandemic is rarely the top story across the rest of Europe, well that's demonstrably false.
    I mean, of course it's regularly the ****ing top story.




  • My brother and I resumed bickering over Brexit a week ago.




  • splinter65 wrote:
    My brother and I resumed bickering over Brexit a week ago.


    That clusterfcuk!




  • gabeeg wrote: »
    A lot of you are nowhere near scared enough. Ostensibly at least.

    As for the OPs assessment that the global pandemic is rarely there top story across the rest of Europe, well that's demonstrably false.
    I mean, of course it's regularly the ****ing top story.

    Nah. Ya can keep your fear thanks. Ive seen the stats. Not remotely scared because There’s nothing to scare me personally. If it scares you then stay at home etc I’m not stopping you or impinging on that in anyway
    Enjoy the fear and misery- each to their own




  • Before the pandemic most of our media seemed to be obsessed with world news and Trump - I don't see the problem reporting this and I think it should be kept top story if cases reflect that. It had fallen off the top of the news for a little while - What's wrong with being informed?




  • gabeeg wrote: »
    A lot of you are nowhere near scared enough. Ostensibly at least.

    As for the OPs assessment that the global pandemic is rarely the top story across the rest of Europe, well that's demonstrably false.
    I mean, of course it's regularly the ****ing top story.

    Yes, of course it’s in the news worldwide, but it seems no other country is so obsessed with the daily figures to the extent of Ireland.

    Unfortunately a large number of Irish people have fallen victim to the scaremongering and are afraid to *try* get on with their lives.

    The near-daily press conferences and updates should be curtailed. It seems such a waste of time to have a press conference on daily figures with terrible journalistic questions. If they used that extra hour to sit down and try figure out a strategy without worrying what the public might think, it would be a lot more effective than playing to the media.




  • road_high wrote: »
    Nah. Ya can keep your fear thanks. Ive seen the stats. Not remotely scared because There’s nothing to scare me personally. If it scares you then stay at home etc I’m not stopping you or impinging on that in anyway
    Enjoy the fear and misery- each to their own


    You simply don’t understand the grave reality, and that’s fine. Denial is often a coping mechanism also.




  • You simply don’t understand the grave reality, and that’s fine. Denial is often a coping mechanism also.


    Ignorance is also a thing!


  • Advertisement


  • Yes, of course it’s in the news worldwide, but it seems no other country is so obsessed with the daily figures to the extent of Ireland.

    Unfortunately a large number of Irish people have fallen victim to the scaremongering and are afraid to *try* get on with their lives.

    The near-daily press conferences and updates should be curtailed. It seems such a waste of time to have a press conference on daily figures with terrible journalistic questions. If they used that extra hour to sit down and try figure out a strategy without worrying what the public might think, it would be a lot more effective than playing to the media.

    It’s all anybody is talking about almost everywhere. Your post is drivelling gibberish.




  • It’s all anybody is talking about almost everywhere. Your post is drivelling gibberish.

    Not really. Lots of talk about holidays, the weather, football, restaurants/pubs, work, etc.




  • Good to see this clown getting lashed out of it in the responses.

    https://twitter.com/Michael_O_Regan/status/1291784696121167872?s=20




  • Pretzill wrote: »
    Before the pandemic most of our media seemed to be obsessed with world news and Trump - I don't see the problem reporting this and I think it should be kept top story if cases reflect that. It had fallen off the top of the news for a little while - What's wrong with being informed?

    The difference is no-ones confidence (to leave house/socialise/shop etc) was severely affected with the Trump/Brexit coverage.




  • road_high wrote: »
    Nah. Ya can keep your fear thanks. Ive seen the stats. Not remotely scared because There’s nothing to scare me personally. If it scares you then stay at home etc I’m not stopping you or impinging on that in anyway
    Enjoy the fear and misery- each to their own

    My bad. I assumed I was talking with people that had some friends, family and vital organs.




  • Cliche buzz words regularly seen on FB and the Journal comments Section;

    See, i knew it (when cases are high after a previously cluster).
    And sure the airport's are open. (When said non travel cluster is published).
    Why aren't we on lockdown. (When more case's are reported then the previous day).
    Sure there not even testing, Martina was waiting age's (when cases are reported lower).
    Them Cxxts getting €350 a week ( when a working family with a life get laid off due to government closing the business).
    We need to close up till we get a vaccine. (Tom on long term Jobseekers).




  • Forgive me for starting a thread if one already exists - I’ve read so many different threads and posts I’ve probably missed the obvious however...

    It seems everyone is waiting daily for the 6pm figures to find out the latest cases and deaths situation. It’s scary to see how every single media outlet in this country is putting all their attention on this (yes, gloom sells). Not just RTE, but the other stations and every single paper has the latest on the front page in some form or another.

    Contrast this to European media - search any of the national news channels or newspapers and you’ll find its never (usually) the top story. They are over the initial panic and are I guess realise they are in for the long haul with this virus.

    People here are only obsessed with three things; deaths, cases and the “R” number. I’m not a Statistician or epidemiologist but a few weeks ago when there was concern and hype raised over the R number increasing beyond 1 on the basis of 20 odd cases or so made me completely lose faith in the strategy of the government/NPHET. 10mins reading about R numbers will prove it’s not an effective measurement with low numbers yet this was peddled across the media.

    The fear-mongering of the Irish media is seriously starting to affect the mental health of the population - I’m sure everyone has witnessed it on a personal level either themselves or their friends/family. If you’re get stressed I highly recommend deleting the news apps, distract yourself around 6pm when you know the figures will be released, and try enjoy the last of the long days and sunshine because if the current media narrative continues, it’s going to be a miserable winter.

    Ireland needs to evolve from our sheepish culture and learn to think outside the box and make our own opinions of matters. The media need to tone down the hysteria and the government need to realise this virus is here to stay so have to start making some difficult decisions against the ultra-conservative NPHET advice to safeguard the country.

    Thoughts?

    It would be helpful if people would do what they are asked to do... wear a ****ING mask.




  • Limpy wrote: »
    Cliche buzz words regularly seen on FB and the Journal comments Section;

    See, i knew it (when cases are high after a previously cluster).
    And sure the airport's are open. (When said non travel cluster is published).
    Why aren't we on lockdown. (When more case's are reported then the previous day).
    Sure there not even testing, Martina was waiting age's (when cases are reported lower).
    Them Cxxts getting €350 a week ( when a working family with a life get laid off due to government closing the business).
    We need to close up till we get a vaccine. (Tom on long term Jobseekers).



    Or teachers or some karen who is a housewife.




  • road_high wrote: »
    Nah. Ya can keep your fear thanks. Ive seen the stats. Not remotely scared because There’s nothing to scare me personally. If it scares you then stay at home etc I’m not stopping you or impinging on that in anyway
    Enjoy the fear and misery- each to their own

    I think the issue is that you’re not seeing potential bigger picture here.

    So you say **** it stay at home if scared, and plenty will. But the virus itself aside, as rolling lockdowns continue to pop up with little notice, businesses will struggle to prep for potential breaks in operations. A restaurant in Kildare took a €4,000 delivery Friday morning, now it’s all going to go to waste. Plenty of other businesses currently shored up on life support.

    Consumer confidence falls, especially in travel. The vast majority realised travel abroad was risky, so we had staycations to look forward to. Now that they can be culled with an hours notice, so why would you book one? Some will, but confidence is gone with others.

    Then you’ve got so many other considerations. Every industry taking a hit with many knock on effects, but outside business you’ve got issues with mental health, interrupted education, mobility issues in cocooning elderly, missed cancer diagnosis, etc.

    This thing is an absolute cluster**** that will effect everyone. Whether you trace the blame to the virus or the reaction to the virus, it doesn’t matter. I’m sure you’ll write this off as scaremongering, but we’re five months into this and if you compare it to tangling headphones into your pocket, we haven’t even started to unravel them yet. And that’s the hard part. The slog back to normality is a long one.


  • Advertisement


  • I've never waited for the 6pm news on covid, and pay little attention to the figures etc. Others have quoted them to me but I don't see the point.

    I work in a high risk area and wear ppe always. It just didn't start with the virus so it's nothing new.

    Don't have rte TV but have given up on the radio. The constant comments about the virus, the never ending ads from the HSE telling us what to do etc has just bored me stiff.

    I wash my hands, I wear my mask, I adhered to the restrictions as they occurred.


Advertisement