Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XX-26,644 in ROI (1,772 deaths) 6,064 in NI (556 deaths) (08/08)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I wonder what the threshold is for a local lockdown? They must be close surely

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Meat processing plants were always a big source of infection.
    I think it was back in May/June that it was already reported there were well over 1000 infections (thankfully 0 deaths and only a handful hospitalised- source https://www.farmersjournal.ie/15-meat-factories-under-active-investigation-550323).

That was overshadowed at the time by the high rate of infection and death in Nursing homes but it has always been an issue, just highlighted now.

I have worked in meat plants before. I'm not surprised they are a big source of infection. You basically stand in the same spot for hours on end in cold, damp, non-ventilated spaces breathing the same air and often right beside several colleagues.

And thats the price people pay for cheap steaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,355 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

The timeline posted in the press release states that the HSE got involved August 1st and have been testing since then

I'll expect over 100, anything under will be good then

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Will Kildare, Laois and Offaly be removed from the Green List?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

where did the first case in these _recent_ meat factories outbreaks come from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

feargale wrote: »
    Will Kildare, Laois and Offaly be removed from the Green List?
    They've never been on my green list that's for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Workers in the factories have been taking paracetamol to mask a rise in their temperatures to trick the thermometers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭landofthetree

So basically a second lockdown is now possible

Also how can we can get away without a full lockdown from Nov to Feb in the cold damp weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,307 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

majcos wrote: »
    Factors thought to allow virus to survive longer

Cold and damp
    Lack of sunlight

Factors that enhance spread

Close proximity of workers
    Talking loudly/ shouting over machinery
    I am really not sure about the cold and damp, lack of sunlight statement. It is spreading pretty rapidly still in countries that are the opposite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭seanb85

About time Government introduced a full sick pay scheme to last through the pandemic, last thing people need to worry about is losing their income if they fall ill.

• Advertisement

:D:D:D:D:D

Remind you of anywhere???

Now you say it, we had a dry and fairly sunny run through April and May and in to June...suddenly it becomes humid and overcast and we get a surge....hmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 28,127 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

fritzelly wrote: »
    I'll expect over 100, anything under will be good then

This thing compounds at a rate of knots. If it's 100 tomorrow it's 200 or 400 the following Friday.
    Just to remind everyone the Schools closed with 47 cases in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Polar101

Stheno wrote: »
    Quick, close all access to Dublin :D leave the culchies to deal with it

Build a wall around Roscommon, so they'll be protected from the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,355 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

This thing compounds at a rate of knots. If it's 100 tomorrow it's 200 or 400 the following Friday.
    Just to remind everyone the Schools closed with 47 cases in total.

More worrying that many of them showing no symptoms - are they visiting local shops...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

The demonisation of Dublin reminds me of London. Everyone thought the epicentre would be there. And many thought the same of Dublin.

Bu lo and behold neither theory held through. Outbreaks in Manchester, Yorkshire etc. and now outbreaks in Kildare, Laois and Offaly.

A few joke comments I wouldn’t class as demonisation. But in fairness it was very much heavily centred in Dublin and London as they are larger populations and the largest travel hubs in each country. Who knows, maybe it has run it’s course in capitals/large cities (Dublin, London, Paris, Madrid, NY) and the new smaller waves or bumps are regional.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭brookers

Workers in the factories have been taking paracetamol to mask a rise in their temperatures to trick the thermometers

Janey is that true

• Registered Users Posts: 85,666 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

where did the first case in these _recent_ meat factories outbreaks come from?

I'm curious about that too

Polar101 wrote: »
    Build a wall around Roscommon, so they'll be protected from the rest of us.

They will be grand, who wants to go there:p

2 additional outbreaks at factories in Kildare town & Timahoe is all they said. No names

I heard the one in Kildare town is the Kildare Chilling Company

• Registered Users Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭normanoffside

And thats the price people pay for cheap steaks.

Yes, but it should be noted that it's generally a much younger demographic and less of a problem (0 Deaths from over 1000 infections back in June), the key is to isolate these cases and stop them passing it on to the more vulnerable.

The only way that can be done is by catching it at source, tracking and tracing, and Isolating the infected.

I know all about the risks of meat plants as my dad is over 70 and was still working in a meat plant up until March.
    Thankfully we convinced him to give it up at that point and he hasn't been in to work since.

• Advertisement

Now you say it, we had a dry and fairly sunny run through April and May and in to June...suddenly it becomes humid and overcast and we get a surge....hmmmm

I don't think it's the weather just Leo's decision to not curtail inward travel is to blame at the moment.

The weather will come into play after the first weekend in September.

I heard the one in Kildare town is the Kildare Chilling Company

Brady's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Do you think Dublin will become the new New York.
    They got it first, hit hardest now implementing checkpoints and 10K fines for flouters.
    M50 exits will get a bit busier if so.

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1291031788731674625?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 85,666 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Fceking Hell

• Registered Users Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

And you 'know' this because...????

Brady's.
    Yeah Bradys with cases too. They are based in Timohoe

• Registered Users Posts: 32,307 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    And you 'know' this because...????
    They don't....and if they do it's probably a friend of a friend of a friend on facebook said it....or sent it on whatsapp....

fritzelly wrote: »
    More worrying that many of them showing no symptoms - are they visiting local shops...

I assume so but I've nothing to back that up with. I think people mean self isolation is keep a low profile, wear a mask not stay at home under all circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

We can't trust people to do the right thing. It's unfortunate some people are so greedy.

Everyone of us has a responsibility to get this virus under control. I see it as a civil duty to do my bit and keeping close contacts down, maintaining social distancing, practicing hygiene. Stay at home within Ireland. Every one of us has a responsibility going forward.

I do have a confession to make. I got a high temperature last week. I was getting readings of:

These readings were out of the ordinary for me. I was taking daily temperature readings since March. I knew something wasn't right with this. I did get a fright originally thinking covid but I thought chances of covid is probably slim. I have a tooth that's giving me trouble and my gut instinct told me the high readings was dental related and I was right. I wasn't going to self isolate in my room. I needed a dentist. It's an abscess. Self isolation in my room thinking this was virus wasn't going to help me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Operations report is out

12 in hospital, up from 9
    5 in icu, down 1
    1 ventilated, no change.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement