Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XX-26,644 in ROI (1,772 deaths) 6,064 in NI (556 deaths) (08/08)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭highdef

ricero wrote: »
    Outbreak in Kildare in a famous ham making factory I heard from a friend of mine there today.

I concur

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    As a culchie living in Dublin I concur:pac:

same here :)

Though I was born in the Rotunda, so I'm possibly a "REAL"Dub

• Registered Users Posts: 85,664 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Special advice has been issued for Kildare, Laois and Offaly on gov.ie and is being updated tomorrow.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/7b237-special-advice-for-those-living-in-kildare-laois-and-offaly-thursday-6-august-2020/

Not Wexford which is high too?

Stheno wrote: »
    Quick, close all access to Dublin :D leave the culchies to deal with it

It’s clearly a Leinster problem now. We didn’t shut off Dublin in time and these are the consequences.

Anyone got the dynamite for the bridge in Banagher?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Not Wexford which is high too?
    Wexford has had less than 20 cases in the last week as far as i know

• Advertisement

Even lower incidence in Cork. It is time to re-declare the capital. Long time coming.

The people's real capital ;) now we just to keep our meat factories under control

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Boggles wrote: »
    Doctor Glynn said they will not allow this continue and will take action.

Couple of weeks of national restrictions before the schools open?

Or shutting down meat factories?

Steak will be the new toilet paper.

Either way I'm off to the butcher.

You called it.
    AUSTRALIA should brace for a national food shortage as coronavirus lockdown restrictions devastate abattoirs in Victoria,
    a major supermarket has warned.

Meatworks in Victoria is being forced to reduce their production by a third from 11.59pm on Friday under the state's Stage 4 lockdown.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/5750849/australia-faces-food-shortages-after-coronavirus-lockdown-hits-supermarket-supplies-and-abattoirs/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭briany

Stheno wrote: »
    Quick, close all access to Dublin :D leave the culchies to deal with it

Seems like Covid's really beyond the pale now.

briany wrote: »
    Seems like Covid's really beyond the pale now.
    kildare's virtually the same thing :P

• Registered Users Posts: 39,689 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Even lower incidence in Cork. It is time to re-declare the capital. Long time coming.

Better late than never.

• Advertisement

Never posted this today as I was busy and don't wanna break my streak so :D

Analysis of cases as of midnight Tuesday 4th August - 26,303 cases (+48)

Healthcare Workers +2
    Clusters +3
    Cases associated with clusters +20

Age Range Affected
    0-4 +5
    5-14 +5
    15-24 +11
    25-34 +10
    35-44 +7
    45-54 +5
    55-64 +3
    65-74 No Change
    75-84 +1
    85+ +1

Cases by County
    Carlow +1
    Cork +2
    Donegal +5
    Dublin +9
    Kildare +10
    Limerick +3
    Louth +1
    Meath +3
    Offaly +3
    Sligo +2
    Tipperary +1
    Wexford +11
    Wicklow +1
    Wexford has had less than 20 cases in the last week as far as i know

:confused:

up 11?

kildare's virtually the same thing :P

And Laois and Offaly - Kings County and Queens county

• Registered Users Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Meat processing plants were always a big source of infection.
    I think it was back in May/June that it was already reported there were well over 1000 infections (thankfully 0 deaths and only a handful hospitalised- source https://www.farmersjournal.ie/15-meat-factories-under-active-investigation-550323).

That was overshadowed at the time by the high rate of infection and death in Nursing homes but it has always been an issue, just highlighted now.

I have worked in meat plants before. I'm not surprised they are a big source of infection. You basically stand in the same spot for hours on end in cold, damp, non-ventilated spaces breathing the same air and often right beside several colleagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,355 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Beatty said on twitter a few minutes ago 80 cases notified from the Timahoe plant.

https://twitter.com/ShaneBeattyNews/status/1291463388430827521?s=19

So looking very likely way over 100 cases tomorrow then

:confused:

up 11?
    Yes? Wexford had 223 on 25th July, it now has 235.

fritzelly wrote: »
    Not necessarily no, likely the vast majority of these were already included. Only 40 are waiting for tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭majcos

We never saw this level of infection at meat factories during the peak.
    We did. It was just less obvious as there were cases everywhere. Article from May.

https://www.thejournal.ie/clusters-meat-processing-plants-covid19-5094624-May2020/

Not my usual source for information but quickest I could find on a google search!

Yes? Wexford had 223 on 25th July, it now has 235.

Not meat factory, halting site?

Not meat factory, halting site?
    Based on rumours on the wexford forum yes

• Registered Users Posts: 28,127 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

And Laois and Offaly - Kings County and Queens county

Could the blue blood be working against them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Meat processing plants were always a big source of infection.
    I think it was back in May/June that it was already reported there were well over 1000 infections (thankfully 0 deaths and only a handful hospitalised- source https://www.farmersjournal.ie/15-meat-factories-under-active-investigation-550323).

That was overshadowed at the time by the high rate of infection and death in Nursing homes but it has always been an issue, just highlighted now.

I have worked in meat plants before. I'm not surprised they are a big source of infection. You basically stand in the same spot for hours on end in cold, damp, non-ventilated spaces breathing the same air and often right beside several colleagues.

I've heard that the temp in a meat plant is perfect for Covid transmission.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The demonisation of Dublin reminds me of London. Everyone thought the epicentre would be there. And many thought the same of Dublin.

Bu lo and behold neither theory held through. Outbreaks in Manchester, Yorkshire etc. and now outbreaks in Kildare, Laois and Offaly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Was 60 to come when they did the press conference for tomorrow. Could well have had some reported in todays numbers or more notified to them later this evening

Yes , rereading it the report is unclear as to whether the numbers for the factory are already in the announced figures over the last few days or whether some are or none are

Well we will know in the next few days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭seanb85

Not necessarily no, likely the vast majority of these were already included. Only 40 are waiting for tests.

There's a suggestion some of the testing was conducted by a private testing operation, and the positives are known about but haven't been through official channels yet, so a lot will be included in the figures tomorrow.

The demonisation of Dublin reminds me of London. Everyone thought the epicentre would be there. And many thought the same of Dublin.

Bu lo and behold neither theory held through. Outbreaks in Manchester, Yorkshire etc. and now outbreaks in Kildare, Laois and Offaly.
    Demonisation of Dublin... Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭majcos

What in God's name is going on in the meat factories? There are plenty of sectors where people normally work at close quarters that have managed to avoid this horror show. Are the cool temperatures offering a breeding ground for the virus?
    Factors thought to allow virus to survive longer

Cold and damp
    Lack of sunlight

Factors that enhance spread

Close proximity of workers
    Talking loudly/ shouting over machinery

• Registered Users Posts: 17,355 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

That tweet infers they are new positives today

That tweet infers they are new positives today
    The timeline posted in the press release states that the HSE got involved August 1st and have been testing since then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I thought the body language of Glynn was stark tonight, almost shook. He got caught up in his train of thought more than once. The conference was delayed twice aswell, to me the optics of that are not good. Maybe they were aware the news of the 80 cases at Timahoe would break tonight and were trying to figure out the best message.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,127 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

majcos wrote: »
    Factors thought to allow virus to survive longer

Cold and damp
    Lack of sunlight

:D:D:D:D:D

Remind you of anywhere???

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement