Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

steven087 wrote: »
    Thanks no ill be booking it in a couple of weeks.. Just trying to see what bikes I can insure. Going looking a 2003 suzuki sv650s at weekend

Are you buying a bike before your IBT? How will you get it home if so?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Definitely doesn't appear to lack power although maybe 90hp might be a bit much for a true beginner and from reviews it drinks petrol and needs to be filled every 100 miles.

Personally I would look for a bike that is is a little bit less powerful and ideally from a safety point of view one that has ABS.

I quite like the look of the SV 650 and even versions of the bandit from 2000 onwards.

I think you're looking at the wrong model bike. CBF600 is around the same performance as the SV, slightly higher HP and lower torque figures. MPG is very similar but bear in mind there's around 2-3 litres difference in the tank size in the CBFs favour. While neither have great build quality the CBF is slightly better and the motor is buttery smooth, very easy bike to ride. Anyway, its up to you but I've had both and I wouldn't have an SV again with the CBF as an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭steven087

Are you buying a bike before your IBT? How will you get it home if so?

In a trailer to get it home if I buy

zubair wrote: »
    I think you're looking at the wrong model bike. CBF600 is around the same performance as the SV, slightly higher HP and lower torque figures. MPG is very similar but bear in mind there's around 2-3 litres difference in the tank size in the CBFs favour. While neither have great build quality the CBF is slightly better and the motor is buttery smooth, very easy bike to ride. Anyway, its up to you but I've had both and I wouldn't have an SV again with the CBF as an option.

Sorry about that turns out I got the CBF600 confused with the CBF600 Hornet. The first does look like an excellent beginner bike.

On a slightly unrated note, are modulating headlights legal in this country?

steven087 wrote: »
    In a trailer to get it home if I buy

Perfect, best of luck with the purchase. :)

• Advertisement

Right here my IBT story, finished up early a few mins ago. Didn’t get the A Licence Learner Permit. Didn’t feel like it was happening for me so the instructor said which I appreciate his honesty. So defo not moving up to the Fazer today so that was a blow but I took it on the chin and the next option was to get competent on the 125 and came back after the break and things started kicking into gear and I done a hell of a lot better, rode around the business park and then out onto the roads. So certified for a 125cc and he helps the hours to complete the IBT on a 600 for the A licence which I thought was pretty sound out. So from zero experience this morning to a couple of hours now and some road time, limited but I wasn’t phased in the roads at all. So if I’m to give anyone advise it’s don’t buy a bike until you know your skill level practically not ego wise. It’s a very different story, no harm doing it the right way. I now look forward to getting on the road and learning the basics I’m proud of how I’ve done today from a skill I’ve never done before.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭robbie_63

Fair play for posting on here, that must have been a bit of a kick to not get the A Permit,

So do you have to do another day IBT to get the A Permit?

TobinIT wrote: »
    Fair play for posting on here, that must have been a bit of a kick to not get the A Permit,

So do you have to do another day IBT to get the A Permit?

It was but I’m not too proud to help open others eyes to the realities of biking, I rather be safe driving within my limits then my ego taking a dent. No we finished early so the instructor said the time saved we’ll use in the future to get the A done. Super sound when he didn’t have to.

It was the same with me, I didn't feel comfortable on the 600cc so stepped down to a 125cc. In some ways I feel it's better prepared me for stepping up to an A class bike.

Plus you can get some pretty fun 125s such as the Honda MSX/Grom and the monkey. Plus think of the fuel savings approximately 2.5 litres per 100km.

I presume if you get your full A1 license and then do module 5 you don't have to go for another driving test?

At then end of the day if it makes you safer rider then its all worth it,

Its the first time I've heard someone not getting the A Permit, maybe some instructors are more thorough than others

• Advertisement

It was the same with me, I didn't feel comfortable on the 600cc so stepped down to a 125cc. In some ways I feel it's better prepared me for stepping up to an A class bike.

Plus you can get some pretty fun 125s such as the Honda MSX/Grom and the monkey. Plus think of the fuel savings approximately 2.5 litres per 100km.

I presume if you get your full A1 license and then do module 5 you don't have to go for another driving test?

Yes the instructor said he’s most fun times were with his friends in their 125’s the instructor was great, he doesn’t want to waste your money or time too. Some ppl can’t take someone’s honesty but he’s the pro not me. Once I do Module 5 I’ll have the A licence as a learner permit. Only the full test after that.

TobinIT wrote: »
    At then end of the day if it makes you safer rider then its all worth it,

Its the first time I've heard someone not getting the A Permit, maybe some instructors are more thorough than others

He is very honest and he’s had ppl who he said couldn’t handle the 125, I appreciate him not wanting to earn another half day fee and giving me the chance. The best ones want you to learn right or not at all. It’s a warning to everyone it’s not a guarantee. If you go for a full test or any course it doesn’t mean cause you pay yourself guaranteed to pass. The guy in the Harley shop advised me a few weeks ago to ride within your limits and that’s so true after today.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,356 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

On a slightly unrated note, are modulating headlights legal in this country?

No. Totally anti-social but popular in the States with complete eejits. Although there are fcukwits here who ride around on main beam and won't dip even when following another bike :mad:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

One YouTube channel that I've come across that is useful for beginner and even experienced riders is this one.

https://www.youtube.com/c/DanDanTheFireman

He goes through videos of accidents and then explains what went wrong in the situation and what the rider in the video could have done better.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭happy cookie

Right here my IBT story, finished up early a few mins ago. Didn’t get the A Licence Learner Permit. Didn’t feel like it was happening for me so the instructor said which I appreciate his honesty. So defo not moving up to the Fazer today so that was a blow but I took it on the chin and the next option was to get competent on the 125 and came back after the break and things started kicking into gear and I done a hell of a lot better, rode around the business park and then out onto the roads. So certified for a 125cc and he helps the hours to complete the IBT on a 600 for the A licence which I thought was pretty sound out. So from zero experience this morning to a couple of hours now and some road time, limited but I wasn’t phased in the roads at all. So if I’m to give anyone advise it’s don’t buy a bike until you know your skill level practically not ego wise. It’s a very different story, no harm doing it the right way. I now look forward to getting on the road and learning the basics I’m proud of how I’ve done today from a skill I’ve never done before.

Thanks for sharing this! my own instructor was explaining it when I spoke to him on the phone to organise the IBT and that's another reason why I was reluctant to tick the A permit or stay at A2. My permit arrived yesterday with all levels ticked even though I only ticked A2 and A. That must be why!!! Thing is I had a 125 years ago for about a year but never took the test. I'm hoping things will come back to me and I'll manage at least the A2.... but we'll see.

What's your plan so? are you getting a second hand 125 for a few months and then when you get more comfy with it go for the module 5 to upgrade instead of doing the A1 test?

Oh, and huge congrats on getting it done, @banana, you can now go out on 2 wheels, let the fun begin!!

Thanks for sharing this! my own instructor was explaining it when I spoke to him on the phone to organise the IBT and that's another reason why I was reluctant to tick the A permit or stay at A2. My permit arrived yesterday with all levels ticked even though I only ticked A2 and A. That must be why!!! Thing is I had a 125 years ago for about a year but never took the test. I'm hoping things will come back to me and I'll manage at least the A2.... but we'll see.

What's your plan so? are you getting a second hand 125 for a few months and then when you get more comfy with it go for the module 5 to upgrade instead of doing the A1 test?

If you have A then that means everything else is automatically ticked.

He is very honest and he’s had ppl who he said couldn’t handle the 125, I appreciate him not wanting to earn another half day fee and giving me the chance. The best ones want you to learn right or not at all. It’s a warning to everyone it’s not a guarantee. If you go for a full test or any course it doesn’t mean cause you pay yourself guaranteed to pass. The guy in the Harley shop advised me a few weeks ago to ride within your limits and that’s so true after today.

So did yiu get an A2 or A1?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

You're doing it right and fair play to the instructor.

I was lucky to have had my fathers Varadero to learn the basics on just doing circle of the houses in 1st/2nd gear before I even had a leaner permit. If I was a complete beginner I wouldn't have made it up to a 600cc over the weekend doing the IBT.

You have the hard part done now so you'll be flying going forward :)

So did yiu get an A2 or A1?

A1 :)

• Advertisement

That’s it and there’s nothing wrong with going to your own limit. My plan is to get a second hand 125cc and learn over the next 4/6 months and if all goes well I’ll go back for the A licence in the Fazer. Won’t go for the full test until I’m A certified. End of the month I’ll be purchasing. Any stellar 125’s to get the party started?

If you have A then that means everything else is automatically ticked.

OMG, yes! now that you say it I realise what kind of Homer moment I just had... 'doh!:D

A1 :)

Ah pity you didn't get the A2. You won't take that long to be ready for an A2. Get something cheap and cheerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Hey Banana its just a stepping stone
    All about getting hours in the saddle now pick yourself up a bike and get out there :-)
    J

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Right here my IBT story,

Thanks for the report. I didn't even realise you could fail to get your A licence but I guess it makes sense and as you said fair play to the instructor for his honesty. If anything learning on a 125 will no doubt help you progress faster as it's lighter and more manoeuvrable. Best of luck and enjoy the open road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Strange i felt the opposite.

IBT was first time on bike. Struggled on the 125 but felt more comfortable on the 600. Maybe being over 6'4 was the issue :pac:

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Thanks for the report. I didn't even realise you could fail to get your A licence but I guess it makes sense and as you said fair play to the instructor for his honesty. If anything learning on a 125 will no doubt help you progress faster as it's lighter and more manoeuvrable. Best of luck and enjoy the open road.

I don’t see it as failing I see it as the next step, I started with zero experience this morning and I’ve been on a bike for a couple of hours. It is possible with the right instructors who look after people not the quick buck. Agreed the 125 is definitely the way to progress, I’ll be happy out if I can grab a nice cruiser in the 125cc realm. The reality is the instructor isn’t obliged to give you a cert but may take much quicker then I did but overall a cool experience to build on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I don’t see it as failing I see it as the next step, I started with zero experience this morning and I’ve been on a bike for a couple of hours. It is possible with the right instructors who look after people not the quick buck. Agreed the 125 is definitely the way to progress, I’ll be happy out if I can grab a nice cruiser in the 125cc realm. The reality is the instructor isn’t obliged to give you a cert but may take much quicker then I did but overall a cool experience to build on.

Apologies a poor choice of words no offence intended. :o As with most things I guess, experience is the best teacher. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,356 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You'd be better off doing another IBT day now and getting the A2 or A, instead of buying a 125 you'll be wanting to trade up in a very short time.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

You'd be better off doing another IBT day now and getting the A2 or A, instead of buying a 125 you'll be wanting to trade up in a very short time.

I would have thought the same, even to get another full day of practice on a bike would help

Seems a bit of waste to go to the bother of buying and insuring a 125 only to outgrow it in a few months once you get used to it

I suppose it depends on the person, as you mentioned you had never been on a bike before the ibt course.

Advertisement