Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

You'd be better off doing another IBT day now and getting the A2 or A, instead of buying a 125 you'll be wanting to trade up in a very short time.

This is good advice.

I disagree that getting a 125cc is a waste of time, you'll still be able to learn the valuable lessons of clutch control and changing gears then when you are ready to step up to a bigger bike the only real thing that is different is the weight and acceleration.

And it's definitely true 125cc bikes don't have a lot of power and you'll be lucky to get over 100kph but that's not necessarily a bad thing if you are a complete begginer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

I disagree that getting a 125cc is a waste of time, you'll still be able to learn the valuable lessons of clutch control and changing gears then when you are ready to step up to a bigger bike the only real thing that is different is the weight and acceleration.

And it's definitely true 125cc bikes don't have a lot of power and you'll be lucky to get over 100kph but that's not necessarily a bad thing if you are a complete begginer.

The man is one of the best riders in the country and I appreciate he put my safety first and I’d rather out ride a 125 then be unsure on a bigger bike. There was a valid point on the bigger bike size suited another rider but I went with the professional advice at the time and “back” the time, coming back in say 4/6 months of having road experience I’ll be ready to go and not have to pay extra money too. I felt like a completely different rider after the break in fairness. Think when he said I won’t be on the Fazer it kicked my ass into “Let’s nail this great” I did find it fun and not any issues once I was out on the road. I’m not going to be needing more then 100kph anyway as I can’t go on motorways I’m not that type of rider that has a Need For Speed. Safety & Enjoyment come first. Walk before I can run. I appreciate all the advice :D

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Strange i felt the opposite.

IBT was first time on bike. Struggled on the 125 but felt more comfortable on the 600. Maybe being over 6'4 was the issue :pac:

Funny you say that, my boots were thick and I couldn’t get my foot under the gear before the break so I changed to a slimmer boot and my confidence grew hugely, it was a big obstacle I could switch gears quicker and I was nailing breaking no issues either. Loads went right the more I assess how the IBT went after the morning break. Can’t wait to get a bike and get out there to learn the basics and build confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,748 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

I'd agree with this not being a bad thing.

I've been riding most days since doing the IBT and only went over 100KPH once, on the N81 before Blessington coming from Hollywood ... I seem to be comfortable enough around the 80/90kph mark but over 100kph I tend to be feeling a wee bit nervous.

I went on a hike at the weekend, and drove the bike... 90 minutes there and back which would only be 45 in the car along the motorway.... And i was happier with the 90!! :D

• Advertisement

I'd agree with this not being a bad thing.

I've been riding most days since doing the IBT and only went over 100KPH once, on the N81 before Blessington coming from Hollywood ... I seem to be comfortable enough around the 80/90kph mark but over 100kph I tend to be feeling a wee bit nervous.

I went on a hike at the weekend, and drove the bike... 90 minutes there and back which would only be 45 in the car along the motorway.... And i was happier with the 90!! :D
    Agreed on that, I was happy doing 80 and that whole load of wind on my chest, this will be a fun Autumn/Winter lol might add a screen to a purchase and o can still get a cruiser, looking at a nice Maurader atm. Don’t going to blow my budget, in fact I’ll be cutting it in half and saving the other half. I’ve to get new gloves after my eBay one turned my hands blue with the Dye ffs lol :) All positive here today, I’ve a lot more knowledge then this time yesterday and confident to get on a bike and drive it home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Out of curiosity I had a look to see what 125cc offers and this is a cool looking bike imo. A pair of drag bars and nicer mirrors it'd be really nice. Obviously there's the grom and monkeys but you look a bit silly on them as a grown man. I'm sure the quality is all kinds of terrible but I guess a 125cc has a certain life span either way.

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/new-wk-scrambler-125-finance-available/22815189?campaign=14

50198233611_5102000fc0_z.jpg

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Out of curiosity I had a look to see what 125cc offers and this is a cool looking bike imo. A pair of drag bars and nicer mirrors it'd be really nice. Obviously there's the grom and monkeys but you look a bit silly on them as a grown man. I'm sure the quality is all kinds of terrible but I guess a 125cc has a certain life span either way.

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/new-wk-scrambler-125-finance-available/22815189?campaign=14

50198233611_5102000fc0_z.jpg

It’s a cool little machine, priced above what I’m going to pay for a bike I’m planning on only having a few months but if u can get an older version cheaper it’s defo an option. Few nice bikes around on that cc not the bear bikes but it’s all part of the next step. If you find anymore pop them up in case I miss any, I’ll be purchasing by the end of this month either way.

I used to see a keeway cruiser which I think is a 125 parked at work.

zubair wrote: »

Funny you say that, I’ve just been looking at one and my friend had one before n said their great to get started on the cruiser side. I like how they look, there’s one on sale with all the extras on it for a decent price. Windshield Bags Crash bars etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭dubal2008

https://youtu.be/2kS_MUJxDw0

Follow these guys on Youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Cheers Flash, looks nice looks wise anyways. Deffo worth a viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭goblin59

zubair wrote: »

wasn't this was it?

https://www.adverts.ie/car/motorbikes/other-motorbikes/2019-keeway-k-light/18931547

goblin59 wrote: »

Ye, that looks like the same style but googling it there and for another 400 you can have a new one. definitely haggling territory.

I'd really consider Hotbacks point though and maybe have an honest call with your instructor and see what he thinks about getting you on an A or A2 after another session. Would save a whole lot of faffing. You'll honestly be ready to move on after a few miles on a 125. I wouldn't be talking yourself out of it, just see what he says.

I know with the whole virus situation travel isn't recommended at the moment but if you were willing to travel you would have vastly more choice and in my opinion better value shipping a bike over from the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭robbie_63

I know with the whole virus situation travel isn't recommended at the moment but if you were willing to travel you would have fastly more choice and in my opinion better value shipping a bike over from the UK.

The selection in the UK is a lot better and prices seem to be cheaper too

Are there any couriers \ companies that would check a bike out and ship it over for you?

TobinIT wrote: »
    The selection in the UK is a lot better and prices seem to be cheaper too

Are there any couriers \ companies that would check a bike out and ship it over for you?

I bought my bike from suffolk motors and then they had it delivered to Holyhead for me.

There are couriers that do runs to Ireland though

goblin59 wrote: »
    I bought my bike from suffolk motors and then they had it delivered to Holyhead for me.

There are couriers that do runs to Ireland though

That's a handy option, did you get anyone to check it out mechanically beforehand?

I've bought all my cars in the UK as the selection and value is so much better

• Advertisement

With buying a bike it's always a good idea to to check it out in person and sit on it to see how it feels.

As for a courier I've heard good things about this crowd.

https://m.facebook.com/jimhogan.westport

TobinIT wrote: »
    That's a handy option, did you get anyone to check it out mechanically beforehand?

I've bought all my cars in the UK as the selection and value is so much better

had videos sent to me by the owner of the shop.
    there was a full service history as well from the previous owner, who had all the work done in a BMW dealership.

I've just organised to get Ted's Trucking to do a pick up and drop off here at a reasonable rate, also easy to check previous MOT in UK

dubal2008 wrote: »
    I've just organised to get Ted's Trucking to do a pick up and drop off here at a reasonable rate, also easy to check previous MOT in UK

Do you mind me asking was it expensive?

TonbinIT Just PM'd you

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

You'd be better off doing another IBT day now and getting the A2 or A, instead of buying a 125 you'll be wanting to trade up in a very short time.

I'd back this too. I know you're full of beans and a 125 seems like its absolutely fine, you don't need more, no need for speed, etc etc but a 125 is underpowered and you'd fare better getting at least a 250cc. I'd still recommend a 400 or 500, you'd be shocked how quickly you hit your ceiling of entertainment with a smaller bike even as a beginner.

Should you really be worried about "entertainment" when you are first starting off? A 125 can still do the speed limit on everything except motorways. I'm still of the opinion that no matter what your age it is perfectly acceptable to learn on a 125.

Should you really be worried about "entertainment" when you are first starting off? A 125 can still do the speed limit on everything except motorways. I'm still of the opinion that no matter what your age it is perfectly acceptable to learn on a 125.
    I'd back this too. I know you're full of beans and a 125 seems like its absolutely fine, you don't need more, no need for speed, etc etc but a 125 is underpowered and you'd fare better getting at least a 250cc. I'd still recommend a 400 or 500, you'd be shocked how quickly you hit your ceiling of entertainment with a smaller bike even as a beginner.

If I can get a few months on the road it’ll be much better then trying to do the A again after only being advised to get a few months on the road on a 125, I want to be 100% ready to nail the A when I go back. There’s plenty of really good 125’s out there and I’ve no issue starting from the bottom whatsoever. I get the “entertainment” part for sure but safety is paramount for me do if I hot that ceiling that means I’m doing it safely and I’m learning well. I know once I was out in the road I was doing really well, it felt natural. For the moment it’sa night step from 125 to 600 so I will go the 125 route and see where that takes me. I agree no matter what age you are a 125cc is fine, they wouldn’t exist otherwise. Looking forward to the adventures soon :D

Also remember that buying a bike here in Ireland you will not be down to much if you sell it in a years time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Suzuki GZ125cc cruiser €499 might be worth a punt https://www.facebook.com/1008279152640523/posts/2056261734508921/

Advertisement