Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

troyzer wrote: »
    Lads,

I can't see my Wee-Strom anywhere on the RSA approved motorcycles list.

Has anyone had any trouble doing a test on one?

https://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/Driving-Test-Vehicles---Motorcycles/

I just checked the log book and the power to weight ratio is only 0.23KW/KG. It needs to be 0.25 to qualify as an A.

But to be an A2 it can't exceed 0.20KW/KG.

Baffling. Looks like I'll have to borrow a bike, bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭happy cookie

Lads,

https://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/Driving-Test-Vehicles---Motorcycles/

Interesting, didn't know there was a list. I'm planning on getting myself a Honda CMX500 and it's not on the list either. Could it be that the list is out of date? I know the version of the Honda I want has been in production from 2017 only... and same applies to my husband's CB650R.
    Maybe if you ring RSA to enquire about it? Or you maybe could hire one of your IBT bike instructor for the day of the test...

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭happy cookie

I just checked the log book and the power to weight ratio is only 0.23KW/KG. It needs to be 0.25 to qualify as an A.

But to be an A2 it can't exceed 0.20KW/KG.

Baffling. Looks like I'll have to borrow a bike, bollocks.

That explains..... but both the ones I've in mind should qualify according to the ratio: just estimated the Rebel at 0.17 for an A2 and the CB650 should be ok for an A, and neither are on the list

That explains..... but both the ones I've in mind should qualify according to the ratio: just estimated the Rebel at 0.17 for an A2 and the CB650 should be ok for an A, and neither are on the list

I rang my IBT guy. So the power/weight ratio doesn't apply unless it's an electric bike.

The problem is that the V-Strom has a listed power of 49kW. Which is below the 50kW threshold.

My bike is a UK import (VRTing it at the weekend) and the V5 (British logbook) says it has a power output of 51kW.

So that's where the confusion lies. My V5 might be wrong. But it should be copied directly into the logbook. In which case, a tester can't refuse me.

So strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭dubal2008

• Advertisement

dubal2008 wrote: »

They don't go by the logbook? Sounds like something I could easily challenge if the tester handed me an A2 certificate of competency at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

Lads,

Cheers that’s good to have, once IBT sorted I’ll have to rent a bike as I’m looking to get a cruiser myself but once I’m riding well I don’t mind paying to rent the bike and lessons cause it’s a lifetime licence once you get the full licence.

They don't go by the logbook? Sounds like something I could easily challenge if the tester handed me an A2 certificate of competency at the end.

Would you really take the risk after passing it for tester to say nope you’ve to do the full test on a A approved bike?

Would you really take the risk after passing it for tester to say nope you’ve to do the full test on a A approved bike?

I wouldn't see it as a risk. My logbook says it's an A class bike.

There's no way I wouldn't win an appeal.

I wouldn't see it as a risk. My logbook says it's an A class bike.

There's no way I wouldn't win an appeal.

Ahhh I see, it’s worth asking them before your test though.

• Advertisement

Ahhh I see, it’s worth asking them before your test though.

I agree. I'm going to wait until I see what the logbook says. Then I'll ring the RSA and ask.

Surely your instructor will give you that info?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

The tester will tell you at the start what you're testing for, not at the end. I don't see it being an issue though.

That said, the bike does not fit the requirements for either category. maybe someone who has one will let you know what they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭goblin59

If you have an official document with proof of the engine power that should be proof enough.
    The owners cert should be enough as its meant to give the output of the bike.

Print off the factory specs if you have too.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭sm3ar

Is this rack monokey or monolock?

sm3ar wrote: »

that looks like the Monokey case.
    I've the same on my BMW.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭sm3ar

goblin59 wrote: »
    that looks like the Monokey case.
    I've the same on my BMW.

After looking now and it looks extremely like this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭enrique66_35

sm3ar wrote: »

Monolock, the rail across the back is the indicator. Monokey racks have two hooks and no rail there.

Anyone do their IBT in wet conditions or really gusty ones? Weather due to clear from 2moro onwards luckily but interested to find out riders exist the experience . Cheers :D

Anyone do their IBT in wet conditions or really gusty ones? Weather due to clear from 2moro onwards luckily but interested to find out riders exist the experience . Cheers :D

I did mine in really frosty weather. It was fine, your instructor will make sure you're not dangerous.

• Advertisement

Did mine years ago in the middle of winter in the pitch black. You'll be grand. don't over think it. You won't be pushing the limits enough on an IBT for the rain to make any difference.

Cool thanks, looking forward to learning a new skill :D I totally trust the guy already, I have the fundamental awareness and maturity in built already just the mechanics of the bike and confidence to build. I personally want to keep learning and get to the highest level possible over the next few years.

Do I need to add category A to my learner permit before doing my IBT?

At the moment I only have categories AM and A1 listed.

I've attached a picture of the back of my permit to make things clearer.

Do I need to add category A to my learner permit before doing my IBT?

At the moment I only have categories AM and A1 listed.

I've attached a picture of the back of my permit to make things clearer.

Only if you want to complete an IBT and ride something in the A2 or A category.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭steven087

Anyone in here own a suzuki sv650s
    First time bike on learner permit
    28 years off age
    Should insurance be a problem
    Any one any info on them bikes
    . Was looking to get a cbr600 but they won't quote me unless I have a years experience. Cheers..

steven087 wrote: »
    Anyone in here own a suzuki sv650s
    First time bike on learner permit
    28 years off age
    Should insurance be a problem
    Any one any info on them bikes
    . Was looking to get a cbr600 but they won't quote me unless I have a years experience. Cheers..

they use that bike in ISM for beginners. Really nice bike to use.
    Have you your IBT yet?
    Check with Principal insurance as well for a quote. I had to call them

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭steven087

goblin59 wrote: »
    they use that bike in ISM for beginners. Really nice bike to use.
    Have you your IBT yet?
    Check with Principal insurance as well for a quote. I had to call them

Thanks no ill be booking it in a couple of weeks.. Just trying to see what bikes I can insure. Going looking a 2003 suzuki sv650s at weekend

Thanks no ill be booking it in a couple of weeks.. Just trying to see what bikes I can insure. Going looking a 2003 suzuki sv650s at weekend

if it has ABS that will definitely lower the quote.

Check out a Cbf600, better bike imo.

• Advertisement

zubair wrote: »
    Check out a Cbf600, better bike imo.

Definitely doesn't appear to lack power although maybe 90hp might be a bit much for a true beginner and from reviews it drinks petrol and needs to be filled every 100 miles.

Personally I would look for a bike that is is a little bit less powerful and ideally from a safety point of view one that has ABS.

I quite like the look of the SV 650 and even versions of the bandit from 2000 onwards.

Advertisement