Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market 2020 Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭hometruths

fliball123 wrote: »
    It will without a doubt but when it comes to mortgages the option that would impact on them most when leveraging inflation or deflation would be by using interest rates and I cannot see them touched for a long time and when they are going up it will be very very slowly. Its all to do with timing and with a pandemic ongoing right now it is not the time to be bringing up interest rates

Again I am in agreement with you - the money printing and QE will have some effect for sure, whether that is deflationary or inflationary remains to be seen.

Consider both in theory in an Irish property context (so I don't fall foul of the no global macro discussion mod warning!).

If it is deflationary prices will fall, as will wages, unemployment will rise etc and it will spiral until CBs can get a handle on the deflation.

But how will they do that? They have no room to drop interest rates further without going negative?

And if it is inflationary, sure property prices will rise, as will the cost of living whilst wages will not keep pace in real terms. This will disproportionately affect the poorest and our housing crisis will get worse.

How will we fight inflation? Very difficult to do it without increasing interest rates. If CBs refuse to increase interest rates, or raise them too slowly, we'll end up with hyperinflation.

Which brings me back to Bass Reeves repeated point. Be careful what you wish for.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭BEdS_83

fliball123 wrote: »
    I said there is feck all decent supply you can buy a load of properties in the back a$$ of Leitrim if you want or a shed in Dublin for 250k. Supply is down 10% on myhome anyways within 3 months. Before covid there was a selection of over 21k properties today its about 18.5k.

As for banks I have just yesterday got the mortgage I want and proceeding with buying at asking and I am selling and I have got an over of 9k over the asking so it looks like banks are open for business. Remember they are getting money at nearly 0 interest rates off the ECB it would be a good move for them to be lending especially non first time buyers who have at least 20% deposit meaning a 20% drop in house prices and someone is forced to sell they are still breaking even on top of interest being paid.

All of the properties above the only 2 that matter are supply and demand if a person cant afford a house he or she must either rent or go homeless (where they can still get a hous) which means supply stays the same as in thats one less house for others so have.

I have said this before the left leaning nature of this country as in "everyone is entitled to a house" means a lot of property that should be for sale is set aside for those on the dole and then you have right right leaning nature of giving vulture funds the economic basis to come in and buy full apartment blocks that dont even hit the market.

Currently if you had the cash say 250k you could buy a 3 bed in Clondalkin which current has a ROI of 10% give it to the government for 20 years at a rate of 85% of the ROI you would after tax (on the higher tax rate) clear over 200k and still have a property that most likely after 20 years have gone up in value. That is why REITS and vulture funds are snapping things up they would not get the same return and backed by a government for 20 years + ..So if you had money and you were an invester would you chance the stock market or look at this and go ok good government backed returns

If this was a race and it was just people in Ireland buying and selling then prices would come down a lot more than they could but as you can see the race is rigged

this is a good example of what you said, initial price there was something around 580, and then 560 you could see 540 few months ago and even 530 as the prints showed, so what happened?
    did the market set the price? as people were not buying?
    no, REIT went there and bought what was left there, 8,257,500.00 and I am pretty sure that they didn't even pay 500k for each house, now? they are renting them out at 2775 for the 4 bed and 3115 the 5 bed option..

• Site Banned Posts: 149 ✭✭Iceman29

"Bank of Ireland to cut 1,400 jobs as Covid-19 drives €937m loans charge"

For the people who are saying its doomsday stuff, these are actual headlines and real world situations. All it is is copy and paste. If you don't like the news, complain to them.

All I'm trying to do is put up things that are actually happening... unlike others who are just talking about how little of an effect this Covid will have on the economy and housing market without any evidence .

If you cant see whats coming down the line, god help you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭combat14

Bank of Ireland said on Wednesday it will cut 1,400 jobs in the coming years to rein in costs as the lender posted a loss for the first half of the year after taking a €937 million charge to cover an expected spike in bad debts resulting from the coronavirus crisis

Group warns full-year loan-loss charge is expected to fall between €1.1bn and €1.3bn

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/bank-of-ireland-to-cut-1-400-jobs-as-covid-19-drives-937m-loans-charge-1.4322469?mode=amp

looks like the banks are starting to look a bit wobbly already and we are only barely 6 months into this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Sinn Fein were going to use the tax on banks to build 100k homes.

:D

• Advertisement

combat14 wrote: »
    Bank of Ireland said on Wednesday it will cut 1,400 jobs in the coming years to rein in costs as the lender posted a loss for the first half of the year after taking a €937 million charge to cover an expected spike in bad debts resulting from the coronavirus crisis

Group warns full-year loan-loss charge is expected to fall between €1.1bn and €1.3bn

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/bank-of-ireland-to-cut-1-400-jobs-as-covid-19-drives-937m-loans-charge-1.4322469?mode=amp

looks like the banks are starting to look a bit wobbly already and we are only barely 6 months into this

Careful now, providing evidence gets you labelled as a doomsayer around here Combat.

Some people just don't want to listen

• Registered Users Posts: 19,702 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Iceman29 wrote: »
    "Bank of Ireland to cut 1,400 jobs as Covid-19 drives €937m loans charge"

For the people who are saying its doomsday stuff, these are actual headlines and real world situations. All it is is copy and paste. If you don't like the news, complain to them.

All I'm trying to do is put up things that are actually happening... unlike others who are just talking about how little of an effect this Covid will have on the economy and housing market without any evidence .

If you cant see whats coming down the line, god help you

im still not sure what point you are making, what exactly are you getting at?

House prices are going to fall by huge amounts? Maybe, but despite your protests it hasnt happened yet.

also if you read the BOI statement its a voluntary redundancy scheme over the next few years, it likely would have come anyway, most that will take it will be approaching retirement and wont be backfilled,

but that wont suit your narrative.

god help us indeed :rolleyes:

Careful now, providing evidence gets you labelled as a doomsayer around here Combat.

whatever you do, dont actually read the statement. just the headline :pac:

People seem to think that its low paid workers who are losing their jobs.

But its middle class jobs that are being lost as well. Like in the banks,airlines,hotel management etc

Also anybody who was on contract work and looking for new work is seeing huge cuts in their hourly rate. We have an ever increasing national debt plus we have to pay the EU 15billion over the next few years.

House prices will fall significantly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭Aron722

Banks are still giving out mortgages , not only if you have a solid job, friend of my parents son is an pilot only in the business 2 years and has got a mortgage by themselves.

I wouldn't call that a very secure job at the moment and dont no what the future holds for them after paying over 100k for training

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mr Hindley

BEdS_83 wrote: »
    one thing that I read here, and it does make sense for me now, is the fact that people are accepting to live in a NE home rather that wait and bet against the market, I started to save the deposit in 2018, in 2019 I started to look around for house, prices seemed me pretty much impossible for my AIP, 2020 is here, lockdown almost over, prices are still impossible the same and the REIT that I live just sent me this year increase..
    I guess I would be one of those people that I find a house just lock that up, live there and didn't carry about market as long as I'm managing to pay the mortgage, it's sad to say that I know, but getting almost at 37 leaves me worried about if I'm waiting too much.. =/

sorry about the whining

It's not crazy thinking. I'm moving back to Ireland after 25 years in the UK, 18 years of being a home-owner, and while it feels very wrong to go from owning back to renting, I'm wondering if I should rent for a year rather than rush to buy now, given the huge uncertainty about what might happen.

However, I'm also pondering going ahead and buying something, but cut back my planned spend significantly, with a smaller mortgage and leaving myself some cash reserves; accept something that will do for a few years, and scout out something that needs mild but not major fixing up, as those properties do seem to be sitting there without bids and might(?) represent a bargain. As someone commented above, properties that need any kind of work - even just new carpets and kitchen units - seem to get relatively ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Cyrus wrote: »

House prices are going to fall by huge amounts? Maybe, but despite your protests it hasnt happened yet.

also if you read the BOI statement its a voluntary redundancy scheme over the next few years, it likely would have come anyway, most that will take it will be approaching retirement and wont be backfilled,

Lol

They had planned for the 1.3bn deficit all along?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,826 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

People seem to think that its low paid workers who are losing their jobs.

But its middle class jobs that are being lost as well. Like in the banks,airlines,hotel management etc

Also anybody who was on contract work and looking for new work is seeing huge cuts in their hourly rate. We have an ever increasing national debt plus we have to pay the EU 15billion over the next few years.

House prices will fall significantly.

rising public debt has rarely caused major recessions, its been primarily rising private dept that has caused most problems, as we seen only a few years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Breaking News: Renters expecting prices to fall so they can all get a property for 10 quid. Meanwhile, homeowners say prices will rise by 10pc a year in bad recession.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    rising public debt has rarely caused major recessions, its been primarily rising private dept that has caused most problems, as we seen only a few years ago

And has private debt been rising or falling?

Lol

They had planned for the 1.3bn deficit all along?

Lol? are we in a teenage girl group chat?

anything else you want to attribute to me that i didnt say?

combat14 wrote: »

According to some on here the banks are in rude health compared to 2008 and that is why we won't see a repeat of 2008.

It's not a financial crisis apparently, it's a healthcare crisis. This time it is different.

Very little thought seems to have been given to how quickly a healthcare crisis that shuts down the global economy can become a financial crisis.

schmittel wrote: »
    And has private debt been rising or falling?

id imagine is rapidly falling, and we seen this the last time also, as soon as the private sectors ability to produce money or credit, significantly falls, and the likelihood of an increase in defaults and non performing loans occurs, the financial sector wobbles. rising public debt is a red herring, governments have the ability to create long term bonds, which can be pushed out for many decades, without it having significant negative effects on economies, in fact, if used correctly, can be a life safer and a lifeline to falling economies, i.e. in current situations, its largely a good thing, and nothing much to worry about

According to some on here the banks are in rude health compared to 2008 and that is why we won't see a repeat of 2008.

It's not a financial crisis apparently, it's a healthcare crisis. This time it is different.

Very little thought seems to have been given to how quickly a healthcare crisis that shuts down the global economy can become a financial crisis.

they are in much better shape than they were in 2008, im sure they could do without this but they can survive it.

i dont doubt the new CEO of BOI was waiting for an opportunity to cut headcount either, and this is that opportunity.

HaHaHa this is more of it. A fairy tale answer for everything. Where is you're evidence that will prove that it'll mostly be taken by people heading out the door anyway.

Any healthy place I've worked never offered "Voluntary redundancies " but a few unhealthy places I've working in have.....then, unfortunately they weren't voluntary and people let go.

But you must be right this time, I'm sure they were going to get rid of 1400 people just randomly.....haha

• Advertisement

HaHaHa this is more of it. A fairy tale answer for everything. Where is you're evidence that will prove that it'll mostly be taken by people heading out the door anyway.

Any healthy place I've worked never offered "Voluntary redundancies " but a few unhealthy places I've working in have.....then, unfortunately they weren't voluntary and people let go.

But you must be right this time, I'm sure they were going to get rid of 1400 people just randomly.....haha

Think about it, if you have a few years left are you more or less likely to take a voluntary redunancy package? and why the inverted commas?

I would suggest, that cutting headcount has been on the cards since the new CEO was appointed, this is an opportune time to announce it.

and i dont deal in fairy tales, just facts, you are the one projecting your beliefs in how things will turn out, i am just dealing with the actual facts available. But you arent that interested in that for some reason.

id imagine is rapidly falling, and we seen this the last time also, as soon as the private sectors ability to produce money or credit, significantly falls, and the likelihood of an increase in defaults and non performing loans occurs, the financial sector wobbles. rising public debt is a red herring, governments have the ability to create long term bonds, which can be pushed out for many decades, without it having significant negative effects on economies, in fact, if used correctly, can be a life safer and a lifeline to falling economies, i.e. in current situations, its largely a good thing, and nothing much to worry about

It seems like most people think levels of private debt are currently lower than they were in 07/08.

I posted this in the last thread in response to a number of banks are better capitalised, CB lending limits, all fine on that front comments, but I got no response from any of the posters who say private debt is not a problem. I'll make the point again:

The idea that all is well because this time high levels of debt are not a problem is a recurring theme on this thread, and like a lot of the other recurring themes, does not really stand up to scrutiny.

Whilst a pandemic is not a financial crisis caused by debt, locking down economies will inevitably trigger a recessionary environment where debt repayments come under pressure.

Which can quite quickly become a financial crisis caused by debt.

The global economy is drowning in debt, way more so than in 2008. Anybody who thinks Ireland is different because our CB imposed income limits on Paddy's mortgage has their head stuck in the sand.

Private Debt to GDP in Ireland increased from 257.2 percent in 2007 to 374.1 percent in 2018.

Screenshot-2020-06-10-at-09-35-18.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

I worked in BOI last summer and it was obvious that management wanted to cut overheads considerably. I was earning 40K + essentially doing sweet f all. They needed a serious cull, imo. That being said, any increase in unemployment has the potential to rattle consumer confidence which will obviously have a negative impact on the economy.

It seems like most people think levels of private debt are currently lower than they were in 07/08.

I posted this in the last thread in response to a number of banks are better capitalised, CB lending limits, all fine on that front comments, but I got no response from any of the posters who say private debt is not a problem. I'll make the point again:

The idea that all is well because this time high levels of debt are not a problem is a recurring theme on this thread, and like a lot of the other recurring themes, does not really stand up to scrutiny.

Whilst a pandemic is not a financial crisis caused by debt, locking down economies will inevitably trigger a recessionary environment where debt repayments come under pressure.

The global economy is drowning in debt, way more so than in 2008. Anybody who thinks Ireland is different because our CB imposed income limits on Paddy's mortgage has their head stuck in the sand.

Private Debt to GDP in Ireland increased from 257.2 percent in 2007 to 374.1 percent in 2018.

Screenshot-2020-06-10-at-09-35-18.png

apologies, i meant the demand of private debt will be rapidly falling, otherwise i completely agree with you, but it is important to note that the amount of private debt has been rapidly falling in ireland, since the last crash, as debts having being serviced

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    I worked in BOI last summer and it was obvious that management wanted to cut overheads considerably. I was earning 40K + essentially doing sweet f all. They needed a serious cull, imo.

id imagine AIB is the same to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

id imagine AIB is the same to be honest.

AIB have very little else to outsource at this stage.

apologies, i meant the demand of private debt will be rapidly falling, otherwise i completely agree with you, but it is important to note that the amount of private debt has been rapidly falling in ireland, since the last crash, as debts having being serviced

I am not sure the demand for private debt will be rapidly falling - all those taking mortgage payment breaks is demand for new debt. And whilst they might not wish to take on further debt a lot of businesses will face the stark choice of whether to increase borrowings or close down.

Or are you just talking about in a private mortgage context that the demand will be rapidly falling?

Re private debt having rapidly fallen since the last crash, where are you getting those figures from? Most stats I have seen indicate the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

When we speak about private debt, we normally think about Private Household debt, which has fallen significantly.
    Overall Private Debt, yes it has increased, since many multinationals moved their balance sheets to Ireland, most significant I think it was Apple in 2015.

522164.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

And for every opportunity lost there is one gained.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/new-lender-enters-the-market-mortgage-default-risks-and-italian-market-woes-1.3513066

• Advertisement

100,000 mortgages with BOI are on a Covid break till Sep.

Not many will be able to resume payments in Sep.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement