Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to just do nothing for the next 5 years.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Yurt! wrote: »
    I'm sure the rank and file of FG would appreciate being called an arbitrary shadowy subset

I couldn't really care less what they would or would not appreciate, it is an apt description of any political party membership. And why anyone would push for what is essentially by definition the most hardcore element of a party's support to select the leader of the country instead of public representatives who you can lobby and engage with is beyond me.

Bowie wrote: »
    This is payments for people who's industry or company is closed during a pandemic.
    You're thinking of Social Welfare. Heather is picking on the arts because everyone but multinationals and banks, who get a dig out are spongers. It's nasty FG spin.

Try reading the link I’ve posted from Citizens Advice.

The Arts aren’t the only sector affected nor are FG the only party in power.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I couldn't really care less what they would or would not appreciate, it is an apt description of any political party membership. And why anyone would push for what is essentially by definition the most hardcore element of a party's support to select the leader of the country instead of public representatives who you can lobby and engage with is beyond me.

This is very simple. The members of Dáil Eireann elect the Taoiseach, not anyone else.

Comparing the rank and file of a political party to a shadowy untrustworthy cabal and a "hardcore element" is a curious way to view things.

But hey, Leo the brave is a sacred cow among many contributors here. You're welcome to your line of thought, I don't share it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Think Heather is after stepping on a land mine there, yet another unforced error from FG. Her constituency Monaghan is the centre of country and western music in Ireland and now she has got the King of Country music Mike Denver openly criticizing her with a lot of other musicians like Brian Kennedy lining up behind him.

Given that it is currently silly season she had better hope that Joe Duffy doesnt go rabble rousing on this topic in the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,160 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Yurt! wrote: »
    This is very simple. The members of Dáil Eireann elect the Taoiseach, not anyone else.

Comparing the rank and file of a political party to a shadowy untrustworthy cabal and a "hardcore element" is a curious way to view things.

But hey, Leo the brave is a sacred cow among many contributors here. You're welcome to your line of thought, I don't share it.

The shadowy figures up on the windswept hills amongst the furze a and heather probably don’t share it either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Try reading the link I’ve posted from Citizens Advice.

The Arts aren’t the only sector affected nor are FG the only party in power.

And what if you have a job? Quit and then look for something else in another field? I can see a Chef bagging shopping with the sixteen year olds or an insurer for the film industry quitting to work remotely as an admin...

And what if you have a job? Quit and then look for something else in another field? I can see a Chef bagging shopping with the sixteen year olds or an insurer for the film industry quitting to work remotely as an admin...

If you have a job, you’re not unemployed.

If you have a job, you’re not unemployed.

You're going in circles here. HH was saying people in the Arts should consider up skilling/changing career. People on PUP aren't necessarily unemployed. That's why there are those payments separate to SW.

You're going in circles here. HH was saying people in the Arts should consider up skilling/changing career. People on PUP aren't necessarily unemployed. That's why there are those payments separate to SW.

Please read the following copied from Citizens Advice especially the bit underlined.

“ Rules
    Employees, self-employed people, students and part-time workers can apply for the COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment. Both EEA and non-EEA workers qualify.

To qualify for the COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment, you must:

Be aged between 18 and 66
    Live in the Republic of Ireland
    Have been in employment or self-employment immediately before Friday 13 March 2020. If you work shifts, short time or other atypical work patterns you must have been in employment on or after 6 March 2020.
    Have lost your job or be temporarily laid off from work or asked to stay at home from work due to the COVID-19 public health emergency
    Be self-employed and your trading income has ceased due to the COVID-19 public health emergency or your trading income has collapsed to the extent that you are available to take up other full-time employment. You do not need to de-register as self-employed to get a payment.
    Be genuinely seeking work
    Not be getting any income from employment”

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/covid19_pandemic_unemployment_payment.html

The shadowy figures up on the windswept hills amongst the furze a and heather probably don’t share it either.

I'm sorry, I don't speak Farsi

• Advertisement

Please read the following copied from Citizens Advice especially the bit underlined.

“ Rules
    Employees, self-employed people, students and part-time workers can apply for the COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment. Both EEA and non-EEA workers qualify.

To qualify for the COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment, you must:

Be aged between 18 and 66
    Live in the Republic of Ireland
    Have been in employment or self-employment immediately before Friday 13 March 2020. If you work shifts, short time or other atypical work patterns you must have been in employment on or after 6 March 2020.
    Have lost your job or be temporarily laid off from work or asked to stay at home from work due to the COVID-19 public health emergency
    Be self-employed and your trading income has ceased due to the COVID-19 public health emergency or your trading income has collapsed to the extent that you are available to take up other full-time employment. You do not need to de-register as self-employed to get a payment.
    Be genuinely seeking work
    Not be getting any income from employment”

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/covid19_pandemic_unemployment_payment.html
    If your employer has decided to close their business and temporarily lay you off and cannot pay you, you can apply for the new COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment.
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/unemployment_and_redundancy/redundancy/lay_off_short_time_working_and_redundancy.html#l54799
    You can apply for the COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment if you:

...or
    have been temporarily laid off due to the COVID-19 pandemic and..
    https://www.gov.ie/en/service/be74d3-covid-19-pandemic-unemployment-payment/

Why would someone temporarily laid off seek another job? What would the employers do for qualified and experienced staff once reopened?

Heather Humphreys suggested that anyone working within the arts should look for work elsewhere.
    It's about attacking people in jobs not deemed important by HH. Fresh from using PUP recipients as scapegoat over some travelling sees moved on to people in the arts.
    The covid payments are there to support sections of the public during Covid. They should not be attacked for receiving them.

If you can find a quote for citizens Information or Gov.ie refuting HH said what she said go ahead and post it.

Why would someone temporarily laid off seek another job? What would the employers do for qualified and experienced staff once reopened?

Heather Humphreys suggested that anyone working within the arts should look for work elsewhere.
    It's about attacking people in jobs not deemed important by HH. Fresh from using PUP recipients as scapegoat over some travelling sees moved on to people in the arts.
    The covid payments are there to support sections of the public during Covid. They should not be attacked for receiving them.

If you can find a quote for citizens Information or Gov.ie refuting HH said what she said go ahead and post it.

You will find that the link I provided is the more up to date than yours.

You will find that the link I provided is the more up to date than yours.

My comment, if you can remember pertained to HH's ignorance towards the entertainment/Arts industry. It's not sensible or practical for an entire industry to give up or quit their jobs and look elsewhere. It's HH/FG looking to scapegoat yet another group.

My comment, if you can remember pertained to HH's ignorance towards the entertainment/Arts industry. It's not sensible or practical for an entire industry to give up or quit their jobs and look elsewhere. It's HH/FG looking to scapegoat yet another group.

I think that you’ll find that she said “some” not “all”

“ She said a ‘realistic’ policy was needed due to the pandemic as ‘some jobs will not come back and there is no point in waiting for the never never.
    ‘It is best that we help people to reskill, retrain and look at other jobs they can take up.’”

Musicians, actors etc., won’t be alone. Same applies to bar staff, airline staff, etc. Thousands needing to reassess their lifestyle.

I think that you’ll find that she said “some” not “all”

“ She said a ‘realistic’ policy was needed due to the pandemic as ‘some jobs will not come back and there is no point in waiting for the never never.
    ‘It is best that we help people to reskill, retrain and look at other jobs they can take up.’”

Musicians, actors etc., won’t be alone. Same applies to bar staff, airline staff, etc. Thousands needing to reassess their lifestyle.

She showed a lack of understanding but more likely was looking to do what FG do best, **** on a section of society to try look good.

She showed a lack of understanding but more likely was looking to do what FG do best, **** on a section of society to try look good.

Do you expect the govt. to pay everybody.?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Do you expect the govt. to pay everybody.?

The magical money trees, Brendan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Lots of babyish commentary. Even if you hate HH FF/FG, the covid threat is real And it is not going away. The government cant just decree it over. Childish whinging such as claiming someone is "against entertainment" is ridiculous.

Plus it looks as if this is not going to stop soon. Sitting and crying is futile. The government can only do so much. If it is coming for you; move. Those who adapt quickest will do best. Those who sit still because they are an artist and HH "hates entertainment" better grow up quickly

The magical money trees, Brendan.

Of course John.... the go-to plant in the world of the Bullhorn Brigade.

Yeh... make no effort and expect the govt to bail you out.

Now there are genuine people out there but the gamers and non triers and their fellow travelers have all day to swamp the social media platforms to try to break the State, as Cullinane said.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,273 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Truthvader wrote: »
    Lots of babyish commentary. Even if you hate HH FF/FG, the covid threat is real And it is not going away. The government cant just decree it over. Childish whinging such as claiming someone is "against entertainment" is ridiculous.

Plus it looks as if this is not going to stop soon. Sitting and crying is futile. The government can only do so much. If it is coming for you; move. Those who adapt quickest will do best. Those who sit still because they are an artist and HH "hates entertainment" better grow up quickly

Not a 'very real' threat in a pub I just passed not 5 minutes ago in an east coast tourist town. Rocking it out...people mingling..not a staff member or a bite of food to be seen.
    Can't help suspecting the big tourist/chain pubs have been looked after here...the small single owner left in limbo to struggle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Not a 'very real' threat in a pub I just passed not 5 minutes ago in an east coast tourist town. Rocking it out...people mingling..not a staff member or a bite of food to be seen.
    Can't help suspecting the big tourist/chain pubs have been looked after here...the small single owner left in limbo to struggle.

Er..... Thats just illegal

• Registered Users Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Truthvader wrote: »
    Er..... Thats just illegal

He was just passing but seen all those details.

Just passing like.

I’ll take things that didn’t happen for 20, Bob.

Thinking HH has made a balls of her tenure so far isn't hate. She might be sound outside of work.
    I do think she should up skill...but for her current job.

Thinking HH has made a balls of her tenure so far isn't hate. She might be sound outside of work.
    I do think she should up skill...but for her current job.

Upskill is all one word, dude. Just saying.

Upskill is all one word, dude. Just saying.

I'm off to the burns ward. Well played... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Stop talking shyte, HH is a deeply conservative minister who disproves of entertainment in General, trying to conflate it with the tinfoil hat wearers is typical FG, Leo is yesterday's man,bringing up his name to get him attention is quite sad.

'Disproves of entertainment in general'

Go on.... elaborate us on that one..:P:P

What entertainment does she disapprove of and can you post some evidence to the fact as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I hoped you reported it, or did you just post it here on boards and not report it..... :rolleyes:

, dude.

Johnny Dudebro strikes again.

DUDE

• Advertisement

So, it’s really FG you have a problem with.

There are thousands of people who are relying on the Covid payment. Are you suggesting that we continue paying it forever and ever just because they’re unwilling to upskill? Or is it just those employed in the Arts that deserve our generosity?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement