Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

I enjoyed that post on the hodinkee travel clock. I also have since read Hodinkees COO's statement on the subject.
    The thing for me with hodinkee is it's a bit like when war correspondent Joe Galloway puts down the camera and picks up a rifle in the la Drang valley, no longer a reporter but part of the story.

Hodinkee did this article on a humble seiko 5, the SNKL23 and transformed it into something made out of unobtainium. Seiko could only get 75 bucks for it, hodinkee blesses it and it shoots up in demand and price.Thats a magical power in business,every brand wants that.

So my hat is off to them for pulling the travel clock off, a master stroke. Though they may have revealed that in the watch and clock world, the emperor sometimes has no clothes.

On a related note, Doxa released a batch of watches with 30 year old Valjoux 7734 chronograph movements.All sold. Seems fair game as a new movement in an old watch is a legitimate repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Not sure if this belongs here..... Or anywhere other than left inside my head really.

I've a bit of an itch to scratch and want to pick up a grand seiko. I've had the idea of buying one for years but always picked up other bits and pieces instead. I think I'm now ready to buy one.

So I can't really come down strongly on hi beat or spring drive, and I think happy with either really. I probably have a preference for the hibeat as I don't like the power reserve on the spring drive (but I could live with it).

I would like the spring drive snowflake, but don't want a titanium watch...

I would like some of the high beat GMTs but many are over 14mm thick and some seem slightly blingy,

I ordered a hibeat GMT (SBGH281G) a few days ago but the seller then wasn't able to fulfil the order, even though they still have it advertised..... Anyway, even on reflection, I'm not 100% sure about that watch as the dial doesn't seem to have the sort of intricacies that a grand seiko ought to....

I do like some of the watches very much, but nearly always one's that can't be obtained.

I'm also slightly put off by the fact that there's currently 115 grand seiko models advertised on the seiko website... It all just seems a bit scattergun, and something like 20 or more "special editions" released every year...

Anyway, I'm just ranting.. I want to buy a grand seiko, ideally an "iconic" one (but not titanium) or if a special edition it would need to be particularly nice...

Anyone any thoughts or suggestions??

I know the obvious answer is just to buy 3 or 4 of them but unfortunately that's not an option

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Have you seen them in the flesh/tried them on? I think that's going to be your only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

OldBean wrote: »
    Have you seen them in the flesh/tried them on? I think that's going to be your only option.

Yes I've seen the more ubiquitous ones in Weirs alright, but they don't tend to carry the more obscure ones, which is fair enough.

I guess of my thoughts are more general than specific, is buying some special edition 2020 model a bad idea, when trying to sell it (if!) it could be an extremely niche thing, whereas something like the snowflake I guess is somewhat more recognised, and maybe sought after

• Registered Users Posts: 19,891 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

anyone seen this?

has to be worth a go!

kit is £74 from aliexpress

https://youtu.be/P_qzAERr9oc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,506 ✭✭✭micks_address

Spotted the jlc on adverts this morning and wondered how long it would be before a certain someone was on it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭893bet

Just kicking the tyres of another pretty watch that ultimately I don’t really want.

893bet wrote: »
    Just kicking the tyres of another pretty watch that ultimately I don’t really want.

is it good value? I would have thought it ticked a lot of boxes for you... i got some weird adverts notifications about your skyfall... are you selling?

is it good value? I would have thought it ticked a lot of boxes for you... i got some weird adverts notifications about your skyfall... are you selling?

Relisted it so to remove previous selling price. Was willing to offer in trade and puts me at a disadvantage if a previous selling price is available.

Don’t think we will do a deal. It’s a loose watch with no box or papers so need a big move on price. My trade options are not of interest to seller and I think there is too much between us for cash price to be able to do a deal.

ultra thins need to be tried on, i had one and cant say i liked it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,252 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Cyrus wrote: »
    anyone seen this?

has to be worth a go!

kit is £74 from aliexpress

https://youtu.be/P_qzAERr9oc

I ordered it ages ago. Just checked, 9th June,height of covid. Still hasn't arrived

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

So i'm about to buy another watch now the DJ is gone, and while i was going to get an AP Royal Oak Dual Time, i've come back to the idea of the rose gold Yacht Master on the oyster flex bracelet (116655) too. What are the opinions here on those, is there a reason i shouldn't get one over the other? Or anything that will help me decide because i'm completely torn.

What else is in the collection? You got a BLNR recently also?

I think the rose gold yacht is lovely but I think it needs to complement a collection rather than be the main piece in it. The AP is a lot more versatile IMO.

I think the rose gold yacht is lovely but I think it needs to complement a collection rather than be the main piece in it. The AP is a lot more versatile IMO.

I have the BLNR, an Aquaracer I never wear, an Apple Watch which I only wear in work and an f91w for when I need something that I can afford to break.

Whatever I get will be actually what I’ll probably wear most because it’ll be on a rubber strap.

Time wrote: »
    So i'm about to buy another watch now the DJ is gone, and while i was going to get an AP Royal Oak Dual Time, i've come back to the idea of the rose gold Yacht Master on the oyster flex bracelet (116655) too. What are the opinions here on those, is there a reason i shouldn't get one over the other? Or anything that will help me decide because i'm completely torn.

Mind me asking what the dj sold for ?

I’d go for the ap over the yacht master personally , but I’m not into rose gold . I also think when things calm down the ap is a more desirable watch the yacht master is just on the Rolex rising tide in terms of popularity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭scwazrh

an Aquaracer I never wear,

Is there a reason you don’t wear it ? Never seems to be any love for Tag on forums

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I’d nearly say the opposite. The RO finishing is such a big part of the appeal, and they just seem incredibly delicate as regards marking. You’d wouldn’t want to be the type to bothered by scratches with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,252 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Royal Oak all the way. Some people hate them, but it's distinct and you don't see many. The YM is just another rolex, the RO is a conversation piece, one of the most famous pieces from one of the big 3. Go with the RO if you can, this shouldn't be up for debate :pac:

Thanks for the comments so far everyone, think my heart was saying AP RO and my head was saying YM. Partially due to the fact that the servicing costs are absurd on AP, and i think the YM will hold it's better in the long run. But i think if i get the YM i'll always wonder "what if" whereas with the AP i won't think the same about the YM. When i get sick of the BLNR i'll be halfway to the YM if i still want it by then anyway.
    I’d go for the ap over the yacht master personally , but I’m not into rose gold . I also think when things calm down the ap is a more desirable watch the yacht master is just on the Rolex rising tide in terms of popularity.

AP are on their own rise at the moment too, and funnily enough i was looking at the rose gold RO too as a middle of the road solution between the two but that's a black rather than a blue dial.
    scwazrh wrote: »
    Is there a reason you don’t wear it ? Never seems to be any love for Tag on forums

It's S/S with a silver dial, its quite a boring watch IMO there's no contrast at all. It's basically the TAG version of that awful silver dial yacht master that nobody wants even with the Rolex bubble we have at the moment.
    I’d nearly say the opposite. The RO finishing is such a big part of the appeal, and they just seem incredibly delicate as regards marking. You’d wouldn’t want to be the type to bothered by scratches with them.

I'm not bothered about scratches tbh, watches are made to be worn and they can always be restored if i want in the future.
    Cienciano wrote: »
    Royal Oak all the way. Some people hate them, but it's distinct and you don't see many. The YM is just another rolex, the RO is a conversation piece, one of the most famous pieces from one of the big 3. Go with the RO if you can, this shouldn't be up for debate :pac:

For me that's actually part of the appeal, its a real "if you know you know" watch.
    OmegaGene wrote: »
    AP wins hands down for me and it s a wiser investment but you have to buy what makes you happy

I'm not so concerned about resale value, as long as i'm not losing 10k the second i walk out the door. The YM is actually less than retail now, while the AP is above retail by a few thousand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Can I make a recommendation for a 'bits & pieces' box?

Saw these in Tiger a few weeks ago and although they sell crap from the far east masquerading as Danish design I bought one for €1.50 (down from normal €3) and now I'm sorry I didn't buy two.

522045.JPG

They're sold as 'lunch boxes' and come in a couple of different colours.

522046.JPG

Ideal for storing spare watch straps etc. The simple wide elastic band with the grooved wood cover means once you close the box it won't spill open if dropped.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Biscuit tin with the plastic trays left in for the biscuits does the job here:p

522059.jpg

Needless to say Mrs. b loves it when I pull a perfectly good empty biscuit tin out of the bin:eek:.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

i think the YM will hold it's better in the long run.

i disagree to be honest but who knows!

i disagree to be honest but who knows!

I am not sure either will hold value! Both are very rare in comparison to any of the hot Rolex....but low demand which is the issue. Same as my VC....one of only two available in the world barely a sniff (Irish market is too small a factor also). Demand is what counts more than anything.

There is another AP on the forum. Ye won’t see it for a while though. I know “someone” who has been deep in negotiations on a few of them over the last few weeks and also finally closed the deal on one also this week.

Had the two of them gotten together they may have gotten a bulk discount........

• Registered Users Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'm anxiously awaiting the delivery of my Astronaut from its service and refurb in the US.

It's been in the postal system since the 27/7 and hasn't updated since the 1/8 :(
    I am relearning what patience means...

I got an email from the service guy yesterday asking me to keep an eye out for an "extra" watch too!
    He is missing an Accutron that he now thinks he may have packed and shipped with mine! :eek:

Free watches! :pac:

No seriously though, no I'm doubly anxious about the stupid delay!
    Would hate to think of someone not knowing where their watch is and it being stuck in limbo with mine.

If the watch is in with mine it'll be returned same day, although I might well take a wristie or 2 of it on and them both together.

In other news, Weir's and insta think I'm far richer than I am...
    :(
    Got served an add for the Patek exhibition that really makes me feel like a broke ass pleb, with its "invite only"!

I could totally get an invite! If I wanted one, I just don't want one, really!
    :P

I am not sure either will hold value! Both are very rare in comparison to any of the hot Rolex....but low demand which is the issue. Same as my VC....one of only two available in the world barely a sniff (Irish market is too small a factor also). Demand is what counts more than anything.

There is another AP on the forum. Ye won’t see it for a while though. I know “someone” who has been deep in negotiations on a few of them over the last few weeks and also finally closed the deal on one also this week.

Had the two of them gotten together they may have gotten a bulk discount........

i thought maybe his absence would have calmed down the watch buying frenzy :p

• Registered Users Posts: 65,085 ✭✭✭✭unkel

banie01 wrote: »
    In other news, Weir's and insta think I'm far richer than I am...
    :(

Insta has inside info that BTC is mooning :pac:

On a Rolex No-Date sub, the ceramic one 114060?
    Is there a dimple, divot, halo around the dial centre?
    I don't know how else to describe it, it's like the motte of motte and bailey or ringfort but incredibly subtle and only visible in certain light and angle.

I was looking at one yesterday belonging to a friend, and it caught me as both odd, and surprisingly eye-catching in certain lights.
    Inky black and then the dimple dazzles a bit.
    Thing is, it struck me as an "imperfection".

Is that a sign of a fake?
    Or am I overthinking a lovely watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,085 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Where did your friend buy the watch? :p

I have one on order (waiting list) from Weir's. If you can wait another 12-18 months or so, I'd be happy to come over to you to compare the watches :)

unkel wrote: »
    Where did your friend buy the watch? :p

I have one on order (waiting list) from Weir's. If you can wait another 12-18 months or so, I'd be happy to come over to you to compare the watches :)

He has it a while, I would assume AD he travels a lot and spends quite a bit time in ME and SEA.
    Works in petroleum, and I am certain it's not a fake but being a pleb on actual luxury SS Rolex I honestly have no clue

The watch is lovely, it felt and looked the same as the one I'd handled in Keane's but the dial in Keane's struck me as inky black, the blackness gave depth to the watch.

My friends one, exact same but sunlight seems to sparkle the dial and the ring effect just really drew my eye and made me curious.

I don't want to throw a comment out even jokingly on its authenticity ;)

Just to add, I haven't seen him in @18months and yesterday was our 1st meet up in a while.
    Hence the scant history.

• Advertisement

I've been wanting to try an explorer size watch for a while and came across this.. I've nothing at this size so be interesting to see how it wears. Not a huge investment.. probably be a few weeks as coming from the US

DSCF4359.jpg

Could be a while before arrives

Parts list:
    36mm oyster-style case, screw down back & crown, with 20mm lugs
    Seiko NH35 movement
    Namoki explorer dial
    Namoki mercedes hands
    GS Thin-Tite acrylic crystal
    20-16mm jubilee bracelet

Advertisement