Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insufferable beer snobs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭saabsaab

A few publican acquaintances of mine. It’s also mentioned in the wonderful Beamish & Crawford book, there was a coopers strike in both Cork breweries in 1901 which prevented the Brewers getting their product out, Guinness moved in and never looked back.
    Both Murphy’s and Beamish has to allow their tied houses sell Guinness from the mid 60’s onwards as they were losing trade to non tied houses such was the demand for Guinness.

Maybe in some pubs but I doubt it overall. Interesting if there were any stats on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Dark Czech beer is the only beer worth talking about.

How do people.look forward to a Heineken?

I really dislike Heineken on draft. If it was all that was available, Id probably go without. If I was offered it from a cold bottle Id happily drink it though. I realise that probably makes no sense.

Edit: actually the same probably applies with Bulmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

saabsaab wrote: »
    Maybe in some pubs but I doubt it overall. Interesting if there were any stats on that.

Go into any pub in the City with.the exception of Callinans and count the number of Guinness taps v Murphy’s Taps.
    One publican I know who has a very busy daytime drinking pub reckons he’s only keeping Murphy’s for a few pensioners, he’d get rid if he could.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭LeBash

All these craft beers are all fine and whatever but Jesus H the next morning is an absolute lottery in what state you're going to wake up in.

I was in a place about 9 months ago that is trying to be super trendy but all the old heads who used to drink in the pub before it was done up, who are not trendy but still tied to that piece of ground as a watering hole were still there. I asked for a Heineken and the look I got back, followed by a massive "tut" and an explanation of why they don't sell it, followed by a run of beers they had and a break down of their flavours etc, etc. Now I'm a f*cking gentleman, so i politely allowed him ramble for about 40 seconds but couldn't take it anymore. I just said "OK, I havent a clue what to try, too much info to take in, can I just have a larger that has plenty of flow on the tap tonight".

2 pints that night, next day I feel like I woke up in the middle of my own autopsy, had to leg it to the jax, monster seedy headache,.......go to brush my teeth and as soon as the brush touched my tongue I blew chunks in the sink because I got a hit of the residual taste.

Im all for small businesses but i know the effects of Heineken. I know I can have 6 pints a little bit to eat and I can function at 75% the next day. Occasionally operating at 75% for a day is fine. I dont want 2 pints and feeling like I was on a 10 day session ever. Not even if my goal the next day is to get from bed to couch to kitchen table, to couch, to bed.

So as they say on dragons den "for that reason.....im out" on the whole craft beers gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭clsmooth

LeBash wrote: »
    All these craft beers are all fine and whatever but Jesus H the next morning is an absolute lottery in what state you're going to wake up in.

I was in a place about 9 months ago that is trying to be super trendy but all the old heads who used to drink in the pub before it was done up, who are not trendy but still tied to that piece of ground as a watering hole were still there. I asked for a Heineken and the look I got back, followed by a massive "tut" and an explanation of why they don't sell it, followed by a run of beers they had and a break down of their flavours etc, etc. Now I'm a f*cking gentleman, so i politely allowed him ramble for about 40 seconds but couldn't take it anymore. I just said "OK, I havent a clue what to try, too much info to take in, can I just have a larger that has plenty of flow on the tap tonight".

2 pints that night, next day I feel like I woke up in the middle of my own autopsy, had to leg it to the jax, monster seedy headache,.......go to brush my teeth and as soon as the brush touched my tongue I blew chunks in the sink because I got a hit of the residual taste.

Im all for small businesses but i know the effects of Heineken. I know I can have 6 pints a little bit to eat and I can function at 75% the next day. Occasionally operating at 75% for a day is fine. I dont want 2 pints and feeling like I was on a 10 day session ever. Not even if my goal the next day is to get from bed to couch to kitchen table, to couch, to bed.

So as they say on dragons den "for that reason.....im out" on the whole craft beers gig.

Rookie mistake. First thing with craft beer, check the ABV before ordering one. Might have been a double or even a triple IPA you were given 😵

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

I drink Smithwicks and have done for 44 years (I am 60)
    When I go for a pint ,I want a pint not a liquid dessert.
    I don't want something with a rich taste of chocolate ,coffee and a hint of blackberry and as for the aftertaste of vanilla they can shove it
    I like the food in the Porterhouse and in the Market bar but its food and 2 pints and I am out of there.
    An increasing number of hip pubs not serving Guinness and Smithwicks these days
    Wont be getting any of my cash

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

brisan wrote: »
    I drink Smithwicks and have done for 44 years (I am 60)
    When I go for a pint ,I want a pint not a liquid dessert.
    I don't want something with a rich taste of chocolate ,coffee and a hint of blackberry and as for the aftertaste of vanilla they can shove it
    I like the food in the Porterhouse and in the Market bar but its food and 2 pints and I am out of there.
    Wont be getting any of my cash

Smithwicks is coloured water

Do you drink Heino in the rugby club with Tristan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Had a can of whiplash IPA last week. Immediately took me back to 2000, when I was drinking breo and everyone said it tasted like ****e. It's exactly the same taste.

Craft beer is nothing but expensive homebrew.

No actually I despise rugby as it happens, anything else you'd care to level at me?

• Advertisement

Hoboo wrote: »
    Had a can of whiplash IPA last week. Immediately took me back to 2000, when I was drinking breo and everyone said it tasted like ****e. It's exactly the same taste.

Craft beer is nothing but expensive homebrew.

Wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

Both are like dirty dishwater :D:D
    Wrong

Not exactly, a lot of the craft breweries would have started off as homebrew operations

LeBash wrote: »

Those ‘Largers’ can be deadly alright.

A large bottle of Smithwicks is one of the drinks of the Gods, only beaten by Macardles.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Majority of pubs not selling Smithwicks are doing so as they have a semi-exclusive supply deal with Heineken Ireland that lets them sell Guinness but otherwise only Heineken Ireland products.

So you'll see Heineken, Murphys, maybe Beamish, Murphys Red, Birra Moretti, Tiger, Fosters, Applemans Cider, Cute Hoor IPA etc but no Smithwicks, Carlsberg, Bulmers, Budweiser, or anything by any other provider at all be they a huge firm or the smallest craft supplier.

Not even vaguely "hip"; just business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

"Americans" = 5 of them?

L1011 wrote: »
    Majority of pubs not selling Smithwicks are doing so as they have a semi-exclusive supply deal with Heineken Ireland that lets them sell Guinness but otherwise only Heineken Ireland products.

So you'll see Heineken, Murphys, maybe Beamish, Murphys Red, Birra Moretti, Tiger, Fosters, Applemans Cider, Cute Hoor IPA etc but no Smithwicks, Carlsberg, Bulmers, Budweiser, or anything by any other provider at all be they a huge firm or the smallest craft supplier.

Not even vaguely "hip"; just business.
    I would reckon over 90% of pubs in Dublin sell Smithwicks and nearly 99% of pubs outside of Dublin sell it
    There is a reason its still being brewed 300 years later .
    I doubt if Many off the hip beers with a vanilla and chocolate aftertaste will last that long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

Drinking in general is for life's losers.

Injecting heroin is where it's at.

I shot up 8 times this morning alone.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I would reckon over 90% of pubs in Dublin sell Smithwicks and nearly 99% of pubs outside of Dublin sell it
    There is a reason its still being brewed 300 years later .
    I doubt if Many off the hip beers with a vanilla and chocolate aftertaste will last that long

You've completely missed the point there.

The majority of pubs that don't sell it aren't doing it because of whatever you think "hip" is, they're doing it for business reasons only. Take a look at the taps - if its all Heineken Ireland, its that deal they've made.

L1011 wrote: »
    You've completely missed the point there.

The majority of pubs that don't sell it aren't doing it because of whatever you think "hip" is, they're doing it for business reasons only. Take a look at the taps - if its all Heineken Ireland, its that deal they've made.
    The business reasons why 99% of pubs sell Smithwicks is because after 300 years the demand is still there.
    If these craft brew pubs were allowed sell Smithwicks they would
    My local sells all the normal beers and a few craft beers.
    the vast majority of pubs in Dublin are the same
    The pubs that are tied to a brewery are obviously getting cheaper beer and not passing on the savings to customers.
    I would hate to see us going like England where the vast majority of pubs are tied houses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

The business reasons why 99% of pubs sell Smithwicks is because after 300 years the demand is still there.
    If these craft brew pubs were allowed sell Smithwicks they would
    My local sells all the normal beers and a few craft beers.
    the vast majority of pubs in Dublin are the same
    The pubs that are tied to a brewery are obviously getting cheaper beer and not passing on the savings to customers.
    I would hate to see us going like England where the vast majority of pubs are tied houses

Craft pubs wouldn't serve Smithwicks, they will all have their own red ale on tap.

I wouldn't mid us going like the UK, a bit of variety would be nice in more pubs.

Article about not drinking Guinness in Cork. Love if anyone had any stats on it.

https://lostbridgeblog.com/2017/08/30/why-you-shouldnt-drink-guinness-in-cork-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Moghead

What makes a good pint of Smithwicks? Never tried it as I'd rarely see anyone drinking it in the pub.

I presume you'd get a good one in Kilkenny even though its not brewed there anymore. Can Anyone recommend pubs in any Irish cities for a good pint of Smithwicks?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,993 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Moghead wrote: »
    What makes a good pint of Smithwicks? Never tried it as I'd rarely see anyone drinking it in the pub.
    I presume you'd get a good one in Kilkenny even though its not brewed there anymore. Can Anyone recommend pubs in any Irish cities for a good pint of Smithwicks?

Smithwicks, like some wine grapes, seems to travel well.
    I haven't heard of anyone complaining about the variability of it like Guinness.
    It's nice though if it comes in a Smithwicks glass.
    Don't forget to try the Smithwicks pale ale and blonde ale.

Kilkenny ale now, I've had some lovely pints and some poor pints of it.
    Very few places still serving it on draught.

I ordered a pint of Kilkenny once in Riga and I swear I was served Smithwicks.
    If it's creamy nitro like Guiness, it's Kilkenny.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I haven't heard of anyone complaining about the variability of it like Guinness.

Smithwicks id its not flowing can be bad too. Had to send a few back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Smithwicks id its not flowing can be bad too. Had to send a few back

Same with any draught beer really, sitting in the lines too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Drinking in general is for life's losers.

Injecting heroin is where it's at.

I shot up 8 times this morning alone.

Craft skag?

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

A large bottle of Smithwicks is one of the drinks of the Gods, only beaten by Macardles.

Can't drink them any more sadly, but fine drinks they are.

odyssey06 wrote: »

Hugely popular in Canada.

• Advertisement

I used to love a pint of Bass. Ah that’s Bass!

Advertisement