Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insufferable beer snobs.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Hurrache wrote: »
    And so you should. People with taste don't want to mingle with commoners, especially these days, god knows what they'd catch off you and your polyester leisurewear.

haha so you think drinking craft beer promotes you to the upper class !!
    Says it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭Allinall

I drink bottles of Bud.

Only drink in bars, though, and usually pay close to €6 per bottle, so I would class myself as a beer snob.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

jimgoose wrote: »
    Not on Wednesdays, no. Why?

He'd be known to compare mundane things to a brand and model of car, right down to the size engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Ush1 wrote: »
    He'd be known to compare mundane things to a brand and model of car, right down to the size engine.

Oh. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

jimgoose wrote: »
    Arthur Guinness was a stalwart Irish Unionist, but I don't think he funded actual terrorists.

you're correct - my bad, it was Lord Iveagh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

I've been to the Salt House in Galway and as a lager/pilsner drinker they had absolutely nothing that appealed to me. They have this beer called Fischers which is a kind of German lager and it's crappy compared to Krombacher, Spaten, Veltins.

They have a lovely red ale called Arcadia that I used to buy bottles of. Now they are change 3.80 for a 440ml can of it.

Arcadia is the gluten free lager. Is the red you’re thinking of called Wildfire? It’s lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Damn reading that makes me wanna go out and absolutely sloshed on a rake of pints.

I'm dying to get f*cked on a tray of pints.

There'll a rope of sick afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

I was down West over the weekend for a few days holiday, and visited a pub on the Friday night as it has a good reputation for seafood.

No ordering at the bar these days, so some dork with a ginger beard and a load of tattoos came down to take our order. I asked for a dozen oysters to start, and a pint of Guinness. 'We have an excellent selections of stouts and porters in the bottle, as well as our own house stout if you'd prefer that instead', he said upon hearing my order.

'No you're grand, dude', I answered back.

'I can bring down a sample if you like. It's much more flavoursome than Guinness'.

'Grand so', I said, 'but make sure the Guinness is a decent pint as I'm rasping here with the thirst'.

Down comes my pint of Guinness, and I horse it into me like it's my last. Eventually a sample of their own house stout arrives down with my oysters. It tastes like bovril, cabbage water, and what I'd imagine a fungal toe infection tastes like. Disgusting.

Why do beer snobs always want to push their overpriced muck on punters? Like there's a few craft beers I like, especially that Galway Hooker stuff, but I'll try them in my own good time. This is the second time something like this has happened to me in the past year, and I'm wondering why beer snobs just can't get over the idea that the majority of people want the beer they want?

The Guinness was lovely btw, and I polished off 8 of them within the time we were allowed stay in the pub.

I’m sure he’d get a tip for selling the crafty stuff, what’s up with his ginger beard and tattoos? Haha Allot of the stuff is hard to swallow for sure but apparently doesn’t give too many hangovers. I think that at least give samples unlike the normal beers whetted have to buy a pint to see what it’s like, beer snobbery is within us all. It didn’t seem that pushy but my issue would me the craft stuff is sometimes dearer n that wouldn’t persuade me to dish out the dosh. Nothing worse then going into a bar to ask for say Heineken and they say oh no but I’ve something like it and any lager afterwards the same answer no but it’s like this or that.

I'm dying to get f*cked on a tray of pints.

There'll a rope of sick afterwards.

Love the saying for few pints, Tray, rake, shed load etc :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Eight pints?

Some sort of featherweight?

probably a bit rusty after the lockdown

probably a bit rusty after the lockdown

8-in pints like a legend

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Very few smithwicks drinkers about....it seems :(

I often go for a smiddicks every now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I'd be found of craft beers in general but there are very few craft stouts I enjoy. I'd take Guinness over any of them 9 times out of 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

I'd be found of craft beers in general but there are very few craft stouts I enjoy. I'd take Guinness over any of them 9 times out of 10.

Oharas Léann Foillin is a lovely sup.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

I've been avoiding going to any pub with my brother for the last couple of years - he is the most stereotypical craft beer c..t on the plant.

he brews his own muck which 90% of the time is undrinkable ... yet apparently my palate is just underdeveloped.

No matter what pub he ever goes in to the process is the same -- a quick glance at the taps followed by a subtle shake of the head; then he leans in over the bar -- scans the fridges - sharp intake of breath followed by - 'Is this all that you have?' .. when it is pointed out that pubs generally don't have hidden stuff they only sell when a ginger beard requests it with a secret password - he goes on a rant about how I shouldn't have to put up with drinking bland beer.

My local is a small rural pub - might only have 10 people in it on a busy night - Guinness, Smithwicks, Heineken and Bulmers on tap - small selection of bottles and a couple of lagers from the local craft brewery.

Eventually he will settle on what the local craft one is - and despite the fact that he has been in this pub numerous times and drank this beer before - he will critique it and explain in detail to anyone who will listen what is wrong with the beer including what they have done wrong in the process.

I even had to listen to him in PMacs one night telling me that their selection was limited and generic ......

I just don't go to pubs with him anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭saabsaab

whippet wrote: »
    I've been avoiding going to any pub with my brother for the last couple of years - he is the most stereotypical craft beer c..t on the plant.

he brews his own muck which 90% of the time is undrinkable ... yet apparently my palate is just underdeveloped.

No matter what pub he ever goes in to the process is the same -- a quick glance at the taps followed by a subtle shake of the head; then he leans in over the bar -- scans the fridges - sharp intake of breath followed by - 'Is this all that you have?' .. when it is pointed out that pubs generally don't have hidden stuff they only sell when a ginger beard requests it with a secret password - he goes on a rant about how I shouldn't have to put up with drinking bland beer.

My local is a small rural pub - might only have 10 people in it on a busy night - Guinness, Smithwicks, Heineken and Bulmers on tap - small selection of bottles and a couple of lagers from the local craft brewery.

Eventually he will settle on what the local craft one is - and despite the fact that he has been in this pub numerous times and drank this beer before - he will critique it and explain in detail to anyone who will listen what is wrong with the beer including what they have done wrong in the process.

I even had to listen to him in PMacs one night telling me that their selection was limited and generic ......

He sounds a bit of a character alright. You should play up to it sometime get him going just for the craic. Like tell him the glass he's using is wrong or the wrong year!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Very few smithwicks drinkers about....it seems :(

If I'm in a pub when already hungover (which is at my age is basically only ever day two of a stag or wedding; and most of my mates are married by now); or all they have is a few taps I'll go for Smithwicks. It is undeniably a little bland, but there's times when bland is good.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

KungPao wrote: »
    As a snob I can say that a pint of coo-ers is your only man. Maybe Carlsburg or maybe even Kronenberg 1884 if I’m feeling adventurous.

Like a "America's got talent" fan calling themselves a music snob! LMFAO!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Always makes me chuckle that the people I know that get most aggrieved about craft beer narration are always highly likely to be the Guinness scientists that bore the fcuking hole off everybody interminably about the exact optimum science and location of The Perfect Pint Of Plain.

• Advertisement

whippet wrote: »

Jesus what a head wrecker he’d drive you to drink (well not the craft stuff anyway lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Always makes me chuckle that the people I know that get most aggrieved about craft beer narration are always highly likely to be the Guinness scientists that bore the fcuking hole off everybody interminably about the exact optimum science and location of The Perfect Pint Of Plain.

You hear so many talk about the best pub for a pint in a town. Is there something in it?

One spot mentioned had no refrigeration just the keg under the counter!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ilovemuffin

One thing about the Guinness is that it takes years to develop a taste for it, as with other pungent beverages (like coffee). Then someone has the cheek to offer you another variant of Guinness which is probably 3x more as pungent and you would need an entire decade to acquire a taste for it. Shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭guitarhappy

Guinness isn't a Holy Grail. It's just a Guinness. The craft brewers where I am, and there's dozens of them, want to add all kinds of crazy shiite to their beers for the millennials...pine tree needles, sage, pumpkin, etc.

I can count on Guinness to be decent and not try to make a fool out of me. It's like an old friend I can count on.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

saabsaab wrote: »
    You hear so many talk about the best pub for a pint in a town. Is there something in it?

Ah, Gai-Jin - you ask me to expose the soul of old Japan. I could sooner plunge the the tanto into my own belly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

saabsaab wrote: »

Usually you can predict the type of pub right off.

Guinness is as much about sociological and marketing feels as any imagined variance in the actual quality of the pint.

It's also illegal to describe the pint in question without recourse to the word, 'Creamy'.

Just so you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Usually you can predict the type of pub right off.

Guinness is as much about sociological and marketing feels as any imagined variance in the actual quality of the pint.

It's also illegal to describe the pint in question without recourse to the word, 'Creamy'.

Just so you know.

Creamy aka nitrogen and flaked barley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

What would happen if you used the word creamy to describe Guinness original?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

murpho999 wrote: »
    Ah this nugget.

Guinness is brewed and crafted in Dublin and shipped worldwide from there.

So you're going to come back with Diageo, wel that's just modern day business. Plenty of companies have foreign ownership. Penneys being another one.

I don't get why a successful product gets so much criticism just because you most likely don't like the taste.

Guinness is also brewed locally in Nigeria and Australia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭adocholiday

I'm a massive craft beer fan as are many of my friends but none of us are beer snobs. We'd all like various craft beers of all sorts, as well as pints of Guinness. I love a craft beer particularly at home. I'd much rather sip on 3 or 4 6% DIPAs or Belgian ales than lash in 8 pints of Heineken but I'd also happily drink the Heineken if nothing else was available.

I also love a pint of Guinness. My local pub does a smashing pint of it and the day they reopen I'll be down there at opening time!

Advertisement