Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insufferable beer snobs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Effects wrote: »
    Yeah, you definitely have a chip on your shoulder.

If having a dislike of being ripped off means I have a "chip" on my shoulder...well...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

That's be fair, 5.5% is strong enough, especially if you're drinking lots of it and used to stuff like draught Guinness or Heineken which are both around 4.2% IIRC.

Yep, the difference between 4.2% and 5.5% doesn't sound like a lot but 6 cans at 4.2% is 125ml of alcohol while 6 cans at 5.5% is 165ml of alcohol which is pretty much the same as 8 cans of the 4.2% stuff (168ml).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I just want to know where can I pick up some of this Wizards Piss.

Wizard-Piss_900x.jpg?v=1553156791

Wine rather than beer , but it is available :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Tony EH wrote: »
    No. What I am "moaning" about is the stupidity of some people paying idiot money for rubbish and pretending that it and they are something special. This runs right through the craft beer crowd.

Plus, when other producers see these fucking ejits paying over the odds for a drink, they up their own prices too...hence a pint of Guinness now costing around 5.50 in town...which, for the record, is a ridiculous price.

The knock on effect of these craft beer arseholes is higher prices for everyone.

Is the person who pays 10-12 euro for an organic chicken an arsehole, driving up the price of a basic one in Aldi? Is the person paying 3-4 for a sourdough loaf an arsehole? Why cant they eat Brennans like everyone else?

Your argument makes no sense. I spent €100 on a dinner for my family in a pub on Friday night, and €4 of that was 4x €1 for blackcurrant. Some pubs in Dublin (the Galway Bay ones from memory) charge €1 for a pint of tap water with a meal. Publicans need no encouragement to gouge customers, they did it long before craft beer became popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,338 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Yep, the difference between 4.2% and 5.5% doesn't sound like a lot but 6 cans at 4.2% is 125ml of alcohol while 6 cans at 5.5% is 165ml of alcohol which is pretty much the same as 8 cans of the 4.2% stuff (168ml).

I think I read something to the effect that your body can handle 2% beer.
    So comparing 4.2% versus 5.5% seems like only a 25% jump.
    But what you are really comparing is 2.2% versus 3.5% which is more like a 40% jump.
    I find the same with wine, the effects of a 12.5 to 13% wine versus a wine at 14-14.5% is much bigger than the % suggests as it's the % above 7.5% that counts.

So it's not just about the total quantity of alcohol consumed over the course of the night. The % of each drink matters too.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

Is there any truth in the rumour you don’t get a hangover from craft beer as there is a lot less crap put into them?

5 pints of generic in the pub...big hangover, 5 pints IPA in pub ...lesser hang over...5 pints of cloudy IPA at home...lesser hangover still....5 pints of my IPA homebrew...I get up at dawn like a jumping jacks rabbit!!🀔

This reminds me of a time about 10 years ago in a restaurant in West Cork, a well known place in a village near Clon, long before the craft beer thing was happening.

The woman seated opposite me was on the vino, I asked the waiter, who was also the owner what beer he had and got the reply word for word that i will never forget - "we have a eclectic mix of bottled beer".

So what are they? I had to ask.

Budweiser, Carlsberg and Erdinger.

Fair play if they had a German wheat beer!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

No. What I am "moaning" about is the stupidity of some people paying idiot money for rubbish and pretending that it and they are something special. This runs right through the craft beer crowd.

Plus, when other producers see these fucking ejits paying over the odds for a drink, they up their own prices too...hence a pint of Guinness now costing around 5.50 in town...which, for the record, is a ridiculous price.

The knock on effect of these craft beer arseholes is higher prices for everyone.

You need to lie down, dude. You sound somewhat splenetic. Fcuk knows how aggrieved you get about other things in life if people's choice of beer winds you up so badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

The emergence of craft and microbreweries is great as far as I'm concerned, for a country quite found of the stuff we have had a very poor culture of brewing. Its good for the economy also as its keeps money locally rather than it going to Diagio and can be a boon to hospitality and tourism.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Publicans need no encouragement to gouge customers, they did it long before craft beer became popular.

Did I say that they didn't?

They'll use any excuse to up their prices.

Including gobshites paying over the odds for their silly named bottles of nonsense.

• Advertisement

I homebrew with same ingredients/processes/equipment as a nano brewery.
    500ml of a medium hopped IPA costs me maximum 21cent.
    2.5kg malt-2.75euro
    I only do 10lts at a time with 50g hops -1.50euro.
    Heat to brew-1euro
    The bottle itself adds another 40cent....but I re-use.
    Can you imagine what a big brewery or even a micro plant can put 500ml into a bottle for??
    I'd hazard a guess less than 10cent and the bottle around the same.
    And as one craft beer I know that I buy in a pub 200meters from the brewery is charged 5.50euro. But I assume the pub has total control in how much they charge.
    What am I saying....I don't know

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

For beer snobs, read hipsters

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭CarProblem

I'm confused, who are the insufferable snobs?

- lads drinking craft beer
    - Guinness sages of "the pint" boring your tits off while swallowing marketing hook line and sinker about stuff that blind testing repeatedly disproves

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

CarProblem wrote: »
    I'm confused, who are the insufferable snobs?

- lads drinking craft beer
    - Guinness sages of "the pint" boring your tits off while swallowing marketing hook line and sinker about stuff that blind testing repeatedly disproves

Without a doubt, the Guinness Bores.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I saw an article where Americans were given samples of stouts and most went for Murphys and one for Beamish. None opted for the Guinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

saabsaab wrote: »
    I saw an article where Americans were given samples of stouts and most went for Murphys and one for Beamish. None opted for the Guinness.

Would you have a link to that article? I'm not doubting you by the way, as they are all very similar easy drinking stouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

One of the things I enjoy most when I come back to Ireland is having the opportunity to try new beers from the many small breweries that have popped up over the past few years. I live in Germany, and there has always been a regional/local brewery scene. That said, most of them were throwing out generic lagers, bocks, and wheats. It's refreshing to see breweries try new styles, and the more traditional family owned operations here now have to compete with a new generation of brewers who are offering new styles.

What I don't like is that generic pale ale that most of them throw out. I realise it keeps the lights on, but it's fast becoming a generic style of beer.

Would you have a link to that article? I'm not doubting you by the way, as they are all very similar easy drinking stouts.

Link here,

https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/arid-20276848.html

• Registered Users Posts: 28,338 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If one is slightly sweeter than the other it will win in a sample test... same way pepsi beat coke in 80s.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

If having a dislike of being ripped off means I have a "chip" on my shoulder...well...

You chip is based on your problem with craft beer brewers and drinkers.
    Nobody likes getting ripped off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

PTH2009 wrote: »
    In other words these bars are grand for 1/2, not a whole night you be bored out of the tits

You can talk to your mates you know

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

I don't know what's in Chieftain, but doesn't act like a 5.5%. I don't do more than 2 of them these days. They should come with a warning.

The Fran Well beers haven't been the same since they were taken over by Molson Coors

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

I saw that article in which it was also claimed that Murphy’s was the most popular stout in Cork City.
    Guinness is much more popular with Beamish in second.
    I’m not surprised they would prefer Murphy’s as it’s sweet and watery, suited to the Budweiser palate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Actually I've had Yanks make a point of telling me they like Murphys.

Any love for Weihenstephaner?
    German beer that claims to be the oldest brewery in the world. Not easy to find in Ireland but lovely stuff IMO and well priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

I saw that article in which it was also claimed that Murphy’s was the most popular stout in Cork City.
    I’m not surprised they would prefer Murphy’s as it’s sweet and watery, suited to the Budweiser palate.

That's mad, my brother, a Budweiser drinker, also thinks the same about murphys, that it's sweet.

I find it has more flavour than Guinness, I taste more of the roasted barley in it than Guinness.
    I don't taste the "Sweetness" at all.

Have you any source that says that Guinness is more popular in Cork City?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Dark Czech beer is the only beer worth talking about.

How do people.look forward to a Heineken?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

How do people.look forward to a Heineken?

Cool. Refreshing. Gets you drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Have you any source that says that Guinness is more popular in Cork City?

A few publican acquaintances of mine. It’s also mentioned in the wonderful Beamish & Crawford book, there was a coopers strike in both Cork breweries in 1901 which prevented the Brewers getting their product out, Guinness moved in and never looked back.
    Both Murphy’s and Beamish has to allow their tied houses sell Guinness from the mid 60’s onwards as they were losing trade to non tied houses such was the demand for Guinness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Effects wrote: »
    Cool. Refreshing. Gets you drunk.

Hate the aftertase. Yuck. Don't find it refreshing at all. It's like a waste to me. Just associate it with puking my ring up in the palace on a student night. **** me, would love to be back there now!!!

Advertisement