Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭deezell

thos wrote: »
    Mower sold this morning, 1200 quid, first to see bought, 3 calls on it, ad wasn't up 24hrs.

Time to go shopping.

The Stihl looks well, can't seem to find a dealer nearby - any suggestions for North County Dublin?

Any comments on Husqvarna equivalent - TC 242T or similar?

Result! Great to get a return on all the new parts.

The husky is competitively priced, at least in Leitrim,
    https://rowlettegardenequipment.ie/product/tc242t
    Some posters here recently were unhappy with Husqvarna build quality though. Maybe some ex owners could comment.
    On paper they have very close spec, Husky 108cm to the Stihl 110cm, same v twin engine, the only significant difference afaik is the Husqvarna deck is non synchronous, the blades are not timed and do not overlap inline. Instead, one blade is a good few cm ahead of the other, so they can overlap without clattering into each other. Deck drive is by a long (8 foot) looped serpentine belt. Synchro deck claims to give a better finish, and vibrate less, and there's less belt replacement.

I've noticed a good bit of discounting on premium machines, so good value this minute on big cut ride ons.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Husky tractor mowers slated by two dealers yesterday - including one Husky dealer, he has everything else from them but won’t sell the tractor mowers. So that’s worrying!

Discounts on what’s left in stock, but seems not a lot in stock and not due in, but still looking around.

Would like to buy local to get benefit out of new mower warranty.

AL-KO Solo on the radar, T16-103. Anyone got experience of these?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

I'm in my second year of ownership of a husqvarna tc239t. Very happy with it so far. Saves me a lot of time on mowing and has been very reliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Dealers will sell what they can make the most money on regardless of quality. If Husqvarna machines don't have a big margin are difficult to source or have poor credit deals then the dealer isn't going to want to sell them as much as a machine with a big profit margin that they can get in quantity and don't need to pay for for 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭westsidestory

GinSoaked wrote: »
    Dealers will sell what they can make the most money on regardless of quality. If Husqvarna machines don't have a big margin are difficult to source or have poor credit deals then the dealer isn't going to want to sell them as much as a machine with a big profit margin that they can get in quantity and don't need to pay for for 6 months.

Rang a well known dealer in Munster few months back and he warned me off the machine I was enquiring about and promoted another he does not sell. There are honest sellers out there who do not want to sell something that does not fit the requirements, he was the owner of the business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,571 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Anyone know where I'd get a spare grass catcher for this puppy?

Pro Lawn 42cm 139cc Hyundai Push Petrol Lawnmower

https://www.woodies.ie/pro-lawn-42cm-139cc-hyundai-push-petrol-lawnmower-1153278

The Nal wrote: »
    Anyone know where I'd get a spare grass catcher for this puppy?

Pro Lawn 42cm 139cc Hyundai Push Petrol Lawnmower

https://www.woodies.ie/pro-lawn-42cm-139cc-hyundai-push-petrol-lawnmower-1153278

Apart from asking in woodies who their parts agents are, try http://www.johnmckenna.eu/
    Or https://www.doyles.ie/
    Have you got the old catcher? Take a pic. If not, go to Woodies, take a pic if the shop floor one. While you're at it, search the catcher for a part no., as its likely a generic one, on lots of different budget brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Quick question.
    https://www.castelgarden.com/int/294557523-c16-xs-55-bve.html
    I have the above mower, all going well until one stick too many broke the blade adaptor.
    Anyways a friend fixed that and serviced it and adjusted cables.
    One issue we've noticed is that its difficult to turn, both rear wheels are turning at the same speed, even when the mower is off. Feels like diff lock in a 4x4.

I don't think it was like this before, or was it and I'm losing the plot?

Anyone any suggestions? Seems to be plenty slack on all the cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭BowWow

My Mountfield SP530 is about to give up the ghost. Doesn't owe me anything, probably have it 15 years. Replaced blades and a few other bits over the years, but engine is now bad and deck is rusting.
    Have about 400 square metres of lawn.
    Option 1 - Should I just go to B&Q and buy the modern version of an SP530?
    Option 2 - Saw a couple of machines in Lidl today. Both Gardenpro Powerplus, one with a 125cc engine and 460mm cutting width, the other with a 140cc engine and 510mm cutting width. Both B&G engines and self propelled. Second one looks like the same spec as the existing Mountfield.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

garv123 wrote: »
    Quick question.
    https://www.castelgarden.com/int/294557523-c16-xs-55-bve.html
    I have the above mower, all going well until one stick too many broke the blade adaptor.
    Anyways a friend fixed that and serviced it and adjusted cables.
    One issue we've noticed is that its difficult to turn, both rear wheels are turning at the same speed, even when the mower is off. Feels like diff lock in a 4x4.

I don't think it was like this before, or was it and I'm losing the plot?

Anyone any suggestions? Seems to be plenty slack on all the cables.

Unlike a ride on mower, a powered walk behind does not have a differential axle. The single drive shaft is coupled to both wheels by pinion gears inside the wheel rim, but via a freewheel mechanism, which allow the outer wheel on a turn to rotate faster than the shaft driven inner wheel. If both freewheels jammed or seized, the mower would behave as if a diff lock was on and would be difficult to turn. If only one freewheel is stuck, the mower will also have difficulty turning in the opposite direction to the side of the stuck wheel, as it won't 'overrun' the slower rotation of the driven inner wheel.
    To test, do the following. On a hard surface, engine off, engage the drive and push the mower forward. Both rear wheels should rotate freely. If you feel pressure when you engage the drive, turn to left and right to see which wheel is not overrunning the drive shaft, which is static if engaged with the engine off. The overrun or freewheel mechanism is normally a simple sliding plate through the shaft which engages with a rachet profile on the inside of the wheel pinion. The pinions are left and right hand side. If you've had the wheels off and don't put these and the engaging plate back in correctly, they could be locked.

gear-wheel-drive-sx-lawnmower-mower-emak-66030228-100184-emak.jpg

• Advertisement

BowWow wrote: »
    My Mountfield SP530 is about to give up the ghost. Doesn't owe me anything, probably have it 15 years. Replaced blades and a few other bits over the years, but engine is now bad and deck is rusting.
    Have about 400 square metres of lawn.
    Option 1 - Should I just go to B&Q and buy the modern version of an SP530?
    Option 2 - Saw a couple of machines in Lidl today. Both Gardenpro Powerplus, one with a 125cc engine and 460mm cutting width, the other with a 140cc engine and 510mm cutting width. Both B&G engines and self propelled. Second one looks like the same spec as the existing Mountfield.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Check the sturdyness of the wheels, levers, handles, and any mechanisms other than deck, engine and blade. It's the quality of these that makes the difference in price. I was looking at a budget 51cm in *** recently, fine B&S engine, reasonably sturdy deck, but four hollow plastic wheels suitable for a toddler's toy.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭hdl

Looking for some advice on an electric lawnmower for an older relative, but it's been years since I purchased one myself, so if anyone can help make the decision I'd be very grateful. He was looking at this Flymo and this Spear and Jackson, and I have to admit I've never heard of that brand before.

It's for a decent sized garden in an estate, detached house, so garden on 3 sides. Advice and opinions appreciated, thanks.

hdl wrote: »
    Looking for some advice on an electric lawnmower for an older relative, but it's been years since I purchased one myself, so if anyone can help make the decision I'd be very grateful. He was looking at this Flymo and this Spear and Jackson, and I have to admit I've never heard of that brand before.

It's for a decent sized garden in an estate, detached house, so garden on 3 sides. Advice and opinions appreciated, thanks.

Spear & Jackson are a long established respected brand, now a globalised brand vehicle, but once part of the British indigenous industrial complex in Sheffield when Britain used to actually make stuff other than kebabs, larger and online gambling sites. I digress.

There's little to chose at first look, the S&J is a cm wider cut and a 100w more powereful, not things you'd notice much. Much more important is it's higher cut setting, at 7.5cm, over the Flymo 6cm. This could be important when tackling a lawn which has grown too high. Also in it's favour is the 3 year warranty over the 1 year of the Flymo, in the unlikely event of the motor going pear shaped in short time.
    The above issues may never happen, but there's no getting away from the one big difference in the Flymo's favour, it's weight. At only 11kg v the 18.5kg of the Spear, it's always going to be an easier lug around the garden, especially as it's a push mower, with a cable to consider, and the operator is elderly, not to say that they might be more sprightly and agile than yourself. The 68% heavier S&J implies more rugged construction, so will probably take more abuse in the long run, which might be useful if the mowing was being done by a turbo driven teenage volunteer in a hurry to be, well, a teenager I suppose.
    They are both the same price, so more bang for your buck with the heavier machine, but the Flymo might be better choice despite all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭hdl

deezell wrote: »
    Spear & Jackson are a long established respected brand, now a globalised brand vehicle, but once part of the British indigenous industrial complex in Sheffield when Britain used to actually make stuff other than kebabs, larger and online gambling sites. I digress.

There's little to chose at first look, the S&J is a cm wider cut and a 100w more powereful, not things you'd notice much. Much more important is it's higher cut setting, at 7.5cm, over the Flymo 6cm. This could be important when tackling a lawn which has grown too high. Also in it's favour is the 3 year warranty over the 1 year of the Flymo, in the unlikely event of the motor going pear shaped in short time.
    The above issues may never happen, but there's no getting away from the one big difference in the Flymo's favour, it's weight. At only 11kg v the 18.5kg of the Spear, it's always going to be an easier lug around the garden, especially as it's a push mower, with a cable to consider, and the operator is elderly, not to say that they might be more sprightly and agile than yourself. The 68% heavier S&J implies more rugged construction, so will probably take more abuse in the long run, which might be useful if the mowing was being done by a turbo driven teenage volunteer in a hurry to be, well, a teenager I suppose.
    They are both the same price, so more bang for your buck with the heavier machine, but the Flymo might be better choice despite all that.

Thanks very much for your feedback. I hadn't actually looked at the weight of them, and it really is something I should have taken into account, so I'm glad I asked, and appreciate your post. I'll pass the information on, but based on the weight I'd imagine he'll go for the Flymo. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Unlike a ride on mower, a powered walk behind does not have a differential axle. The single drive shaft is coupled to both wheels by pinion gears inside the wheel rim, but via a freewheel mechanism, which allow the outer wheel on a turn to rotate faster than the shaft driven inner wheel. If both freewheels jammed or seized, the mower would behave as if a diff lock was on and would be difficult to turn. If only one freewheel is stuck, the mower will also have difficulty turning in the opposite direction to the side of the stuck wheel, as it won't 'overrun' the slower rotation of the driven inner wheel.
    To test, do the following. On a hard surface, engine off, engage the drive and push the mower forward. Both rear wheels should rotate freely. If you feel pressure when you engage the drive, turn to left and right to see which wheel is not overrunning the drive shaft, which is static if engaged with the engine off. The overrun or freewheel mechanism is normally a simple sliding plate through the shaft which engages with a rachet profile on the inside of the wheel pinion. The pinions are left and right hand side. If you've had the wheels off and don't put these and the engaging plate back in correctly, they could be locked.

gear-wheel-drive-sx-lawnmower-mower-emak-66030228-100184-emak.jpg
    Thanks Deezell,
    Did the test with the mower on a hard surface and both wheels locked up solid. Didn't get to investigate more, but the only thing that was off during during the service was the belt, none of the wheels.

garv123 wrote: »
    Thanks Deezell,
    Did the test with the mower on a hard surface and both wheels locked up solid. Didn't get to investigate more, but the only thing that was off during during the service was the belt, none of the wheels.

Very strange that both wheels are locked to the shaft. They should turn forward freely even with the belt engaged with the engine not running. Heres a link to an exploded view. You can see the rachet pinions on either end of the drive shaft, and the rachet pin. It's not difficult to examine this, wheels are easily removed.

https://ersatzteil-shop24.de/bilder/zeichnungen/ggp_o_st/2013-2016/IPL_Castelgarden_XS_55_BVWE4_294557523-C16_16_EN.pdf

The only thing that could lock the freewheel would be if the rachet pins (30) on page 2 were rusted into their holes on the transmission shaft (21). These pins need to slide up and down in the shaft hole when the pinion gear is overrunning the shaft, otherwise they will stick
    against the inner rachet profile on the pinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭angrybeaver

Hi looking for some advice.

I’ve a castlegarden 13.5 Hp 90cm.
    All running fine I hit a slight stone cutting yesterday and ever since every few minutes when cutting I hear a bang as if the blades are hitting each other or the sides. Metal on metal. When I turn the mower over the blades don’t touch the sides or each other when rotated.

Any advice to rectify?

Thanks

All running fine I hit a slight stone cutting yesterday and ever since every few minutes when cutting I hear a bang as if the blades are hitting each other or the sides. Metal on metal. When I turn the mower over the blades don’t touch the sides or each other when rotated.

Any advice to rectify?

Thanks
    The blades are losing synchronisation. It's likely the blade which struck the stone sheared the pins on the blade holder, leaving the blade retained only by the centre bolt, allowing the blade to slip position on the shaft.
    Remove the blade and inspect the blade holder. It's also possible the timing belt may have some damaged teeth, causing it to jump position on the sprocket, thus going in and out of timing.

41jWe7-v9kL._AC_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Bedouin79

Great thread Guys, looking for advice/recommendations on either a 3 and 1 mower or a dedicated mulcher. Have a new lawn just under 4000m2 in one piece. I’ve a robot to do most of it, looking for a walk behind mower for the awkward areas and general tidying up. Any advice recommendations appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Any advice to rectify?

Thanks

Have you had a look under the deck to see what it looks like?
    You sure both blades are still turning? Is there visible damage to the blades?
    There’s a chance a stone strike could have skipped a tooth on the serpentine belt putting blades out of alignment.

• Advertisement

Bedouin79 wrote: »
    Great thread Guys, looking for advice/recommendations on either a 3 and 1 mower or a dedicated mulcher. Have a new lawn just under 4000m2 in one piece. I’ve a robot to do most of it, looking for a walk behind mower for the awkward areas and general tidying up. Any advice recommendations appreciated.

A decent battery mower would seem ideal for mopping up operations like this, nothing too wide to get in the corners and edges. No messing with oil and petrol and pull cords. Something decent like this Cobra, or splash out on the more mainstream Ego models from the same supplier.
    https://www.lawnmowerworld.ie/product-category/battery-lawnmowers/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Need a new lawn mower, my front & back garden is at most 30m2...but the grass grows so fast, think previous owner must have used some lawn feed or something...

I would like a rechargeable mower, is there any such mowers out there for a reasonable price?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Duplicate Post

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Need a new lawn mower, my front & back garden is at most 30m2...but the grass grows so fast, think previous owner must have used some lawn feed or something...

I would like a rechargeable mower, is there any such mowers out there for a reasonable price?

Good selection in Argos, you don't need anything huge for 30m2. This Flymo is reduced by 28%, only €180.

https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6058214/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CLimited+stock+clearance%7C17503661/Trail/searchtext%3ELawnmower.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭kaiserrussel

Hi All

Hoping someone can advise here - my brother had some version of this honda before and it was a really good mower. he broke the powerdrive and traded it in I think. A Friend of mine is looking at picking up one second hand

seems to be a few around - any thoughts or things he should look out for?

I know these had an independent blade clutch and power drive

I was juts telling im that these were a great mower and prob still are but didn't know anything about if you were buying a used one

The blades are losing synchronisation. It's likely the blade which struck the stone sheared the pins on the blade holder, leaving the blade retained only by the centre bolt, allowing the blade to slip position on the shaft.
    Remove the blade and inspect the blade holder. It's also possible the timing belt may have some damaged teeth, causing it to jump position on the sprocket, thus going in and out of timing.

41jWe7-v9kL._AC_.jpg

Thanks very much for the detailed reply, I’ve checked the blade holders and they look fine. Also checked the blades are both turning fine.

There doesn’t Appear to be a toothed serpentine Timing belt. 2007 Model I thing. It’s one smooth belt that is running from the engine to each pulley over each blade. With this set up the blades both turn when I move one but if I force them slightly I can move them separately. Would this belt be too loose and moving one blade faster than the other or something? No visible sign of damage. It was a small stone It hit and not what I thought enough to do major damage.

As it's a non synchronous deck, the blades don't overlap, they are always a few cm apart at the tips. In order to avoid a small unmown strip down the middle, the deck is offset, with one blade slightly ahead of the other then moved inwards so that they effectlively overlap without touching.These blades will move at slightly different speeds, with the tips coming together every so often but never touching. The belt will be tight enough to drive the blades but will not have any effect on positioning of the blades, as inevitably they will rotate at different rates, even a difference of only 0.1% will have the blade tips pass every 5 seconds with a rotational speed of 3000 rpm.
    You need to check the clearance between the tips. If you can force rotate them as you said until the tips are opposite, then rotate both to check the clearance of the opposite set. Clearance should be the same. The only reason that the tips would strike would be a deformity or damage to deck or shafts. If a shaft was bent, one tip might be too close when it passes the tips of the other blade. If the actual deck metal was bent by the collision, the shaft housing might be tilted inwards. It's possible that a crack has opened somewhere around the shaft housing where it is bolted to the deck, and under drive pressure the housing is pulling inwards. Check that all deck shaft housing are fully bolted down, grab the blade at either end and twist it vertically, while perpendicular to the tractor, to see if it distorts on the deck
    Something is causing the blades to strike, and the frequency is consistent with the slight difference in blade speed which is a feature of non synchronous decks.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭ipitydafool

Hi,

Has anyone ever bought a ride on lawn mower or indeed any garden equipment off AgriEuro website? They have a machine I like but havent used them before, they seem to get good trustpilot scores, just wondering if any boardsies in here have used them

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Badger2009

Hi,

Has anyone ever bought a ride on lawn mower or indeed any garden equipment off AgriEuro website? They have a machine I like but havent used them before, they seem to get good trustpilot scores, just wondering if any boardsies in here have used them

Cheers

I got a scarifier from them earlier this year. It was a lower end machine but was well described as such on their website. Delivery took approx. 2 weeks which wasn’t bad considering Covid. I’d have no hesitation recommending them.

• Advertisement

As it's a non synchronous deck, the blades don't overlap, they are always a few cm apart at the tips. In order to avoid a small unmown strip down the middle, the deck is offset, with one blade slightly ahead of the other then moved inwards so that they effectlively overlap without touching.These blades will move at slightly different speeds, with the tips coming together every so often but never touching. The belt will be tight enough to drive the blades but will not have any effect on positioning of the blades, as inevitably they will rotate at different rates, even a difference of only 0.1% will have the blade tips pass every 5 seconds with a rotational speed of 3000 rpm.
    You need to check the clearance between the tips. If you can force rotate them as you said until the tips are opposite, then rotate both to check the clearance of the opposite set. Clearance should be the same. The only reason that the tips would strike would be a deformity or damage to deck or shafts. If a shaft was bent, one tip might be too close when it passes the tips of the other blade. If the actual deck metal was bent by the collision, the shaft housing might be tilted inwards. It's possible that a crack has opened somewhere around the shaft housing where it is bolted to the deck, and under drive pressure the housing is pulling inwards. Check that all deck shaft housing are fully bolted down, grab the blade at either end and twist it vertically, while perpendicular to the tractor, to see if it distorts on the deck
    Something is causing the blades to strike, and the frequency is consistent with the slight difference in blade speed which is a feature of non synchronous decks.

Absolutely cracking advice and information.

This thread is a life saver.

Rotating the blades I noticed one was further from the edge of the deck and when rotated again would get closer to the deck. I knew then the shaft was slightly bent causing it to strike the other blade on occasion.

I was able to put a pipe over the shaft and bend it back slightly straighter. (Still not perfect but pretty good) put it all back together and not striking anymore.

Replacing the shaft is a deck off job I take it?

Thanks again for your help.

Advertisement