Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UK response - Part II - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

mick087 wrote: »
    Apparently Leicester has 1352.4 cases per 100 000 what on earth is going on there.
    Lets hope the UK in not on the green list for sometime to come.

I can't remember where I read this, but one of the reasons it's thought it got so out of control is that parts of Leicester has very high concentrations of people for whom English isn't their first language, and some who don't speak English at all. All of the messaging was in English!

The point was made that other important government messages are made available in a variety of languages, but no effort was made to inform those with poor English about Covid-19 guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Apparently Leicester has 1352.4 cases per 100 000 what on earth is going on there.
    Lets hope the UK in not on the green list for sometime to come.

You do realise the UK is bigger then Leicester, yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

Are we going to stick on individual cities to the green list? That seems overly complicated and unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

Im wanting to go the UK myself i have friends family there.
    But something is going wrong somewhere if Leicester does have such a high rate.

Christy42 wrote: »
    Are we going to stick on individual cities to the green list? That seems overly complicated and unnecessary.

Yes of course it’s silly and unnecessary, the green list is silly anyway. San Marino is smaller than Wicklow but it’s ok, Italy isn’t. Gibraltar ok, Spain not. Monaco ok, France not....

But there is no point in blocking an entire country purely based on the mess in Leicester.

• Advertisement

A high proportion of pro Brexit, bulldog owning, Georges cross tattoo on the arm, type people. That’s what’s wrong there

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

Yes of course it’s silly and unnecessary, the green list is silly anyway. San Marino is smaller than Wicklow but it’s ok, Italy isn’t. Gibraltar ok, Spain not. Monaco ok, France not....

But there is no point in blocking an entire country purely based on the mess in Leicester.

I mean it is just further evidence on top of the rest of the UK being a mess. Plus if one area is a mess then other areas with similar responses should come under suspicion. We don't know how bad things are in the UK due to massive issues in their response.

I have no idea what the infection rate in San Marino or Gibraltar has been recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Something has gone wrong there and they put in local lockdown measures to try resolve the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Its not just Leicester though, is it? According to the latest phe data, there are several potential hotspots around including Bradford, Oadby, Rochdale and Luton. And Blackburn has overtaken Leicester as the worst affected area and is facing tighter restrictions. If the below tracker is accurate, its now as bad as Leicester was when the latter was locked down.

https://www.vapourtec.com/covid-19-uk-hotspot-tracker/

Yeah, there are hotspots popping up in a few places which is definitely worrying. I was just pointing out that it's not like the UK is entirely oblivious or content with what's going on in Leicester.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

Its not just Leicester though, is it? According to the latest phe data, there are several potential hotspots around including Bradford, Oadby, Rochdale and Luton. And Blackburn has overtaken Leicester as the worst affected area and is facing tighter restrictions. If the below tracker is accurate, its now as bad as Leicester was when the latter was locked down.

https://www.vapourtec.com/covid-19-uk-hotspot-tracker/

London is 0 Blackburn is 135 Per Million

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Surely basic logic dictates that areas (as shown recently) such as Leicester & Oadby(Leicestershire), along with Bradford, Rochdale, Luton et, all have a few things in common.
    Sweatshops, slave labour, illegal labour, underpaid (below legal min wage) labour i.e. the blackmarket. Perhaps even int'l trafficking in relation to sweatshop type staffing.

The Boohoo Group PLC didn't have it's billions (£1.7bn loss) of stock worth drop by 50% in 2 weeks for doing nothing wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

EDit wrote: »
    Reading this morning about lots of holidaymakers being “devastated” and saying that if they’d known this was a possibility they might not have gone on holiday. You have to wonder where these people have been for the past 4 months for them not to realise that this kind of fluidity is to be expected anywhere, anytime
    It's as if they weren't looking at the news or something.
    Indeed.
    Sun readers don't care who runs the country as long as she's got big tits.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,970 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

A high proportion of pro Brexit, bulldog owning, Georges cross tattoo on the arm, type people. That’s what’s wrong there

Not that it really matters, but the reason cases are so high in Leicester is literally the complete opposite to what you're trying to suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

EDit wrote: »
    Agree. Reading this morning about lots of holidaymakers being “devastated” and saying that if they’d known this was a possibility they might not have gone on holiday. You have to wonder where these people have been for the past 4 months for them not to realise that this kind of fluidity is to be expected anywhere, anytime

Has anyone else noticed an uptick in holiday and travel agent ads on UK TV channels of late?

The mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Leicester voted remain. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

We managed to have our socially distanced wedding which was great. It was a bit odd seeing how wide 2 metres actually is when laying out chairs. Hand sanitiser on the way in, but I think the size of it made it lovely. Went to a nice place in the countryside afterwards, which almost felt normal. We had breakfast outside, the staff didn't wear visors or anything, but it was all really nice. It would make me slightly more confident about going places again.

Congrats!

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Unsurprisingly the UK and various regions and cities rank in the top of the excess deaths statistics across Europe (and the UK):

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53592881

Curious as to how France is showing as only 0.2% above their usual rate of deaths though. Either someone put the decimal point in the wrong place on one of their calculations, or France is a very deadly place to be under normal circumstances with 30K+ covid reported deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,044 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

We managed to have our socially distanced wedding which was great. It was a bit odd seeing how wide 2 metres actually is when laying out chairs. Hand sanitiser on the way in, but I think the size of it made it lovely. Went to a nice place in the countryside afterwards, which almost felt normal. We had breakfast outside, the staff didn't wear visors or anything, but it was all really nice. It would make me slightly more confident about going places again.

Congratulations.

Only for the corona and the social distancing restrictions, I'm sure I would have been invited ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

robinph wrote: »
    Unsurprisingly the UK and various regions and cities rank in the top of the excess deaths statistics across Europe (and the UK):

Curious as to how France is showing as only 0.2% above their usual rate of deaths though. Either someone put the decimal point in the wrong place on one of their calculations, or France is a very deadly place to be under normal circumstances with 30K+ covid reported deaths.

Maybe a couple of possible factors. Maybe figure is wrong or could reflect a higher usual death rate in previous years compared to other countries, not really sure.

But also one difference between, say, England and France is in the concentration of the outbreak. In England while London bore the brunt, it still spread to most areas while in France there were large areas of the country left untouched so with the benefit of lockdown obviously experienced negative trends in excess deaths figures. I dont know about 0.2% but not surprised there'd be a difference. Italy not listed there but judging by the euromomo graphs, I'd imagine their overall figure to be lowish too. Outside of Bergamo and some neighbouring areas, excess deaths have been below average in most regions. Dont know why that is, but it might partially explain the discrepancy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

There was some massive death rates in France a couple of years ago now you mention it from a heatwave, although I'd have though that was around August time.

Decided finally to align with WHO and impose a 10 day self-isolation/quarantine period.

Add that to the long list of decisions the UK made out that were of sync with global best practices but ended in a u-turn a few months later.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

The whole comparison on a country by country basis is a bit futile. The countries that make up the UK apply different criteria tonestaish death from Covid from each other, never mind countries in other parts of the world.

bilston wrote: »
    The whole comparison on a country by country basis is a bit futile. The countries that make up the UK apply different criteria from each other, never mind countries in other parts of the world.

Yes, but the analysis needs to be done and by making attempts at it now whilst people can still remember what ways different countries were counting things will help people studying it in several decades time figure out a bit better WTF actually happened.

Is looking at the excess death statistics across countries not one of the better ways to identify the effect of Covid as opposed to other figures which are less helpful as there is 'different criteria to establish death from Covid' in various countries?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

There was some massive death rates in France a couple of years ago now you mention it from a heatwave, although I'd have though that was around August time.

More than a couple of years ago - 2003. I remember it well - made house-hunting with four children quite an interesting experience. :cool:

The recorded excess deaths for that period was 15000 over three weeks; the 30000 excess deaths in France due to Covid-19 are restricted to the months of March and April; deaths since 1st May are at/below normal. 0.2% excess does sound suspiciously low, though.

Advertisement