Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mitsubishi to quit Europe?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

GavMan wrote: »
    Bit sad really. My old man had a Lancer consistently from around 1988 till 2001 with the exception of a beautiful white Gallant in 1990. Particular highlight was a gorgeous wine 92 Lancer and a green 98 Lancer (that model with the chrome T shaped front grille). Thought it was class.

Farewell to them. Always fancied a souped up mid 90's Colt

Lancers were great cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Thierry12 wrote: »

Madness to pay over €40,000 for one right now

Thats 70k nzd straight exchange, they're $58k list here!
    Do hybrid not have lower VRT these days, that price is crazy high if so

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

My friends dad had a Galant back in the day. The 2ltr petrol one. I remember thinking at the time it was fast as I was used to being in my dads Corolla.

Nice car to look at even to this day imo. Rare to find one never mind one in good nick.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Tom1991

Bit of a shame but literally nothing has grabbed me by them for a long time bit like honda honestly.

I had a 00 1.3 glx colt with a wooden looking trim on the inside i had it about 12 years did 200,000 miles in it around ireand and loved every bit of it was a fun go kart experience.When i scrapped it to rust issues last year i was actually emotional over letting it go.

We'll see things go the way of android vs iphone alot of generic looking cars all the same but slightly different design wise

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Here's my new (to me, dec17) Triton :)
    5th best selling car in NZ last year too
    521400.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Here's my new (to me, dec17) Triton :)
    5th best selling car in NZ last year too
    521400.jpg

Is that a pick up?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

3d4life wrote: »
    Those would be from Mitsubishi Heavy Industries rather than Mitsi-motors.

Anyone know what does Mitsubishi mean in Japanese ?

:confused:

Perhaps its a common name like Murphy is here ?

Murphy Motors
    Murphy Heavy Industries
    Murphy Electric Co.

:p

It's not a family name, it's like "three diamonds" (or water caltrops, considered diamond-shaped).

It's a keiretsu, the companies are linked in various ways but each one is an autonomous publicly trading corporation.

Mitsubishi Motors are about one third owned by Nissan these days.

There's also Mitsubishi Fuso Truck and Bus Corporation, who make the Canter trucks sold here, and are majority owned by Daimler but separate from Mitsubishi Motors (MMC). They used to be "Mitsubishi" branded here but are now just "Fuso" (but with the three diamond badge). So they're not affected by any of this announcement.

Confusingly there's the Mitsubishi Pencil Company who make Uni-ball pens - they're not related to Mitsubishi Group in any way, even though they use the same three-diamond logo (maybe only in Japan).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

It's not a family name, it's like "three diamonds" (or water caltrops, considered diamond-shaped).

It's a keiretsu, the companies are linked in various ways but each one is an autonomous publicly trading corporation.

Mitsubishi Motors are about one third owned by Nissan these days.

There's also Mitsubishi Fuso Truck and Bus Corporation, who make the Canter trucks sold here, and are majority owned by Daimler but separate from Mitsubishi Motors (MMC). They used to be "Mitsubishi" branded here but are now just "Fuso" (but with the three diamond badge). So they're not affected by any of this announcement.

Confusingly there's the Mitsubishi Pencil Company who make Uni-ball pens - they're not related to Mitsubishi Group in any way, even though they use the same three-diamond logo (maybe only in Japan).

Don't forget the Zero!

Might be going a bit far back there though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

I had a Mitsubushi tv one time....

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Is that a pick up?

It’s an L200 I think, named differently.

Never got the pessimism around pickups in Ireland they are massively popular as family cars elsewhere and most of what’s said about them being uncomfortable, bad to drive etc is wide of the mark in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Worked on a Mitsubishi built ship one time. We had Mitsubishi pencils too.

Like Nokia, they have their fingers in all sorts of pies.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Oops! wrote: »

They were actually very good and the air con units too....

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Oops! wrote: »

Their Black Diamond Audio Visual brand was sold off to a Turkish company about 20 or so years ago so any black diamond tv you would bought in that time wasn't a Mitsubishi.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Never got the pessimism around pickups in Ireland they are massively popular as family cars elsewhere and most of what’s said about them being uncomfortable, bad to drive etc is wide of the mark in my opinion.

I've driven them all ,they range from horrible to average, none are comfortable compared to even a landcruiser which is average comfortable relative to a discovery

The Ford Ranger is the pick of the pickups

• Registered Users Posts: 33,646 ✭✭✭✭listermint

pessimism ?

Nothing to do with Pessimism everything to do with our Tax and Insurance systems. These things are deemed commercial use only by all and assunder.

Nothing to do with ordinary folks not wanting one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

It's the same with a 4x4's here like them... you wouldn't see as many commercial ones anywhere else... As stated above due to our crazy road tax system.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Don't forget the Zero!

Might be going a bit far back there though :D

That would be Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, the forklift people :)

They still make aircraft today, and a lot of military stuff. Mitsubishi Motors was part of MHI until 1970.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

So Mitsubishi is pulling out of Europe, another victim of the quickly changing market, no big partnerships and the swing to EV.

Can't say they will be missed, the popular Outlander would not be given the time of day but for its PHEV drivetrain, and it past glories are a LONG time in the past.

The fact that it is not being discussed here says it all.

Not easy running a car company these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

Can we clarify that mitsubishi that make the cars are completely different from mitsubishi who make the air conditioning and mitsubishi who make the ecstasy tablets.
    Is it true that it is just a name like Murphy or Clarke and the different companies have nothing to do with each other?

So mitsubishi heavy industries will not even care about mitsubishi cars going bust unless his wife works there?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,052 ✭✭✭bigroad

I thought Mitsubishi was a place in Japan.
    The Gallant was a decent machine and the early pajero was up there with the best,in its day.

If you don't move with the times then you will be left behind. Mitsubishi were a good seller here in the 1980s and early 1990s. Time has moved on but Mitsubishi didn't. Selling vehicles designed for developing markets or constantly refreshing the same old designs was never going to be successful in Europe where they were up against more modern and better designed models home grown models was never a clever business model. While Mitsubishi might officially only be leaving Europe now, they technically left a long time ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

They never really localised for Europe considering what Pajero means in Iberian Spanish!
    Rhymes with banker, begins with W.

Ireland really has moved beyond Mazda, Subaru or Mitsubishi being viable here.

Whatever about the other two Mazda produce some fantastic cars, yet we continue to opt for German cookie cutter cars, pity.

E mac wrote: »

Missed that, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Not surprised nor disappointed. I only buy Japanese cars however Mitsubishi wouldn’t even be a consideration when choosing a car. They don’t offer anything I’d even be remotely interested in. Nissan are the same. For the last decade or more Mitsubishi and Nissan have made the dullest most bland boring cars ever, Dacias were more attractive due to their no frills and lack of options but with Mitsubishi and Nissan you had to pay extra and still have nothing for your money.

I can’t say I’m sorry and I honestly couldn’t care less.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

I think the downfall of Mitsubishi started back when they ended production of the Galant a car a class above the lancer and replaced it with the Carisma a car no bigger than the lancer. If ever a car was the opposite of its name the carisma was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

E mac wrote: »
    I think the downfall of Mitsubishi started back when they ended production of the Galant a car a class above the lancer and replaced it with the Carisma a car no bigger than the lancer. If ever a car was the opposite of its name the carisma was it.

Gallant made long after the Carisma was gone, Carisma was really a Renault

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Gallant made long after the Carisma was gone, Carisma was really a Renault

Volvo S40 I think

• Advertisement

The Carisma and S40 shared the same running gear, only the 1.9 diesel in both was from Renault.

Advertisement