Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mitsubishi to quit Europe?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

LillySV wrote: »
    According to that, Lexus sellin f all here lately ... wouldn’t have thought that

The ones you see are UK imports. The VRT rebates on hybrids, coupled with Lexus Ireland’s greed makes it attractive to import them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    The pajero is a dinosaur, even farmers view it as lacking refinement

the current model absolutely, we don't sell them anymore, but a new model was rumoured for 2021, its nowhere to be seen but done right it could have been a big hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

the current model absolutely, we don't sell them anymore, but a new model was rumoured for 2021, its nowhere to be seen but done right it could have been a big hit.

There’s a Shogun sport in the U.K. based on the L200. Would do very well here but they didn’t for some reason

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The ones you see are UK imports. The VRT rebates on hybrids, coupled with Lexus Ireland’s greed makes it attractive to import them.

Few enough locally sold Lexus alright. See the odd SUV one with dealer stickers but little else.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭TommyGrealy

This news concerns me as I just put a 1K deposit down on an Outlander PHEV 10 days ago. Am I now going to have problems with Servicing, Parts etc? Are there many independent garages / mechanics who can service PHEVs? Appreciate any advice. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tommy, there is a Outlander PHEV thread here you should ask in
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057921572

Rochford in Mayo:
    Full service 290 euro, small service 175

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

I'd honestly forgotten Daihatsu existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

This news concerns me as I just put a 1K deposit down on an Outlander PHEV 10 days ago. Am I now going to have problems with Servicing, Parts etc? Are there many independent garages / mechanics who can service PHEVs? Appreciate any advice. Thanks

Your going to a have problem with depreciation.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Announced this week that Pajero is dead
    https://www.driven.co.nz/news/kiwi-favourite-axed-from-mitsubishi-s-line-up/?utm_source=nzh&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=mitsubishi&utm_term=content&utm_content=top
    After 39 years, and over 3.3 million units sold globally, it has been announced that the Pajero SUV is going to be no more after production ends in 2021.

Due to a massive slump in production output in recent years, the Pajero's factory in the Gifu Prefecture is set to be rearranged, then eventually closed, as it is costing the company too much.

Pajero Sport (triton/l200 underbody) to continue

• Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Have to laugh when they say the Pajero was ageing as some parts date back to 1999. Land Rover were still flogging the Defender til a few years ago! That thing never has a major redesign in 60 years!

Cui bono?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

road_high wrote: »
    I think it’s a pity, all it means is less choice going forward.
    Europe will regulate itself out of existence soon

This exactly. Regulation and patents and protected markets are killing innovation and market growth. Just look at how the USA tackled the threat to American phone tech companies by huawei. Branded a baddy and Google was forced to cut all ties. We need to de regulate at haste to promote innovation.

Catch 22 as no doubt you realise. Lose your deposit or lose a packet on depreciation.
    When a marque announces a decision like this it creates huge uncertainty. I’d say their sales will collapse now, dealers must be furious

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭sumo12

That's not necessarily a new phenomenon with Mitsubishi...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Maybe not. It has a good demand and no new models could increase prices as they become harder to source.

My experience of rover closing years ago is that prices didn't drop whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Lantus wrote: »
    My experience of rover closing years ago is that prices didn't drop whatsoever.
    My experience of Rover collapsing a few years ago is that prices collapsed and they became bargains, when people realised on the bangers market how good the 75 diesel was they became a go to car and prices stabalised but at a low level. See Saab for a similar story.

We bought some nearly new ZRs and ZSs for peanuts when they went bust.

sumo12 wrote: »
    That's not necessarily a new phenomenon with Mitsubishi...

The outlander has always held reasonably well residually as it’s a pretty desirable vehicle. The commercial models are very popular

We bought some nearly new ZRs and ZSs for peanuts when they went bust.

Unlike rover MG, Mitsubishi despite what people may say are pretty reliable cars overall so that would stand to them

Unlike rover MG, Mitsubishi despite what people may say are pretty reliable cars overall so that would stand to them
    Absolutely. their biggest sin is building cars that few people like.

They never quite understood how to make a nice interior, despite often using expensive materials and putting them together really well.
    My theory is that the country that gets the lions share of global sales dictates how manufacturers prioritise things like interior design and type of materials used.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Just to put sales figures into context

new-car-sales-japanese.jpg

The Honda 2007 figures are copy/paste error I presume, and not that they a: had identical figures to Nissan and b: are actually at 1/10th now.

Although I wouldn't be surprised some brands are at 1/10th of 2007. Fiat easily. Grande Puntos were car hire central back then, plus Mk3 Panda and 500 sales; versus nothing now.

• Advertisement

Yep. Didn’t think anyone would notice!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,646 ✭✭✭✭listermint

but their parts prices are laughable compared to other marques. Thats if you can get parts in any amount of quick time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Warranty work?

PHEV's are a complicated mess if something goes wrong

I'd be cancelling or buying a used one in the UK

Madness to pay over €40,000 for one right now

Have you looked at the new Kuga PHEV?

Toyota will have a much superior RAV4 PHEV next year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

E mac wrote: »
    I'd honestly forgotten Daihatsu existed.

Fourtrak was around for years, Charade was a great wee toy with 1 litre diesel, they even made a saloon for a while. Terios probably the last vehicle they sold

Fourtrak was around for years, Charade was a great wee toy with 1 litre diesel, they even made a saloon for a while. Terios probably the last vehicle they sold

We had one (Charade) - great reliability and economy. Fully part of Toyota now I think, they've the Yaris and Aygo, Lan Cruiser in Europe filling those spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

Ya had a teacher in secondary who drove a charade and the local vet at that time drove a fortrak it looked kinda cool at that time....he now has a Kuga.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Sign of the times, Telsa (in very little time) overtook Toyota's total stock worth.
    Shares of Tesla gained 5% to hit a new all-time high of $1,135, giving the company a valuation of roughly $206.5 billion, compared with Toyota's valuation of about $202 billion.

The future of transport is ai tech wizardary that will shout at you if you take your eyes off the road (assuming human control of vehicle) for more than a few seconds, and grass you up with IOT relays to the nearest 5G street camera if you pick your nose, or your face isn't registered to drive.

The uk's new HD cams will slap 6pts and £200 note fine on you for simply touching a phone. These AI cams have already snatched 100,000 down in Aus, within 6mths. Cha-ching!

Sign of the times, Telsa (in very little time) overtook Toyota's total stock worth.

The future of transport is ai tech wizardary that will shout at you if you take your eyes off the road (assuming human control of vehicle) for more than a few seconds, and grass you up with IOT relays to the nearest 5G street camera if you pick your nose, or your face isn't registered to drive.

The uk's new HD cams will slap 6pts and £200 note fine on you for simply touching a phone. These AI cams have already snatched 100,000 down in Aus, within 6mths. Cha-ching!

Cars and transport technology are indeed on a cusp of major change. Technology companies will be more involved I reckon rather than traditional car companies or a combination of.
    Though Covid may give a temporary boost to car ownership and use. They're perfect self isolation pods really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Cars and transport technology are indeed on a cusp of major change. Technology companies will be more involved I reckon rather than traditional car companies or a combination of.
    Though Covid may give a temporary boost to car ownership and use. They're perfect self isolation pods really.
    Kinda, but only if they've got somewhere to go, in pre-Covid offices that (used) to be packed solid, even highly skilled roles can suffer from some Karen in Accounts deciding to microwave fish, and return to a packed out shared open space of 80+ desks.

Perfect for pods, would be a 10min cross-country zoom on hyperloop, interiors lit up with low wattage UV-C.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭GavMan

Bit sad really. My old man had a Lancer consistently from around 1988 till 2001 with the exception of a beautiful white Gallant in 1990. Particular highlight was a gorgeous wine 92 Lancer and a green 98 Lancer (that model with the chrome T shaped front grille). Thought it was class.

Farewell to them. Always fancied a souped up mid 90's Colt

Advertisement