Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mitsubishi to quit Europe?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Carisma started out as a sort of Avensis rival, when that didn’t work, and the Lancer was nearing retirement, they stuck the 1.3 engine/box out of the Space Star (Which was also built in NedCar) into it and dropped the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

My friends dad had a Galant back in the day. The 2ltr petrol one. I remember thinking at the time it was fast as I was used to being in my dads Corolla.

Nice car to look at even to this day imo. Rare to find one never mind one in good nick.

I always thought the 1996 to 2000+ Mitsubishi Galant was an absolute cracker. Lovely shape to them, similarish to the 90's 5 series. Much better looking than the Accord, Camry or 626. And the VR4 version although a very rare sight was a beast.

[IMG]https://i.ibb.co/nMWhs6m/mitgalantsport20-750-500-70.jpg&quot; alt="mitgalantsport20-750-500-70" border="0"></a>[/IMG]

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I always thought the 1996 to 2000+ Mitsubishi Galant was an absolute cracker. Lovely shape to them, similarish to the 90's 5 series. Much better looking than the Accord, Camry or 626. And the VR4 version although a very rare sight was a beast.

[IMG]https://i.ibb.co/nMWhs6m/mitgalantsport20-750-500-70.jpg&quot; alt="mitgalantsport20-750-500-70" border="0"></a>[/IMG]

They were a cracker of a car, unfortunately they also had manual gearboxes made from digestive biscuits.

The interiors of them were pretty dull too. Nearly bought a turbo diesel one years ago. Friend had a VR-G which was basically a VR4 lookalike with the GDI engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Weren't those GDI engines problematic too?

• Advertisement

Yes. Same as all early direct injection engines, they had carbon build up problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Working in New Zealand circa 1998 and bought myself a mid 1980,s Mazda 626 ,Japanese import ,electric Windows, beautiful interior, the mitsubishi
    Alternative was pretty uninspiring back then too ,think they had a colt saloon down under as i don't remember seeing the lancer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Looking at the posts it is clear Mitsubishi is already gone here.

Most only remember the 90's and early 200x.

Lancer I just remember from the rallies, Galant was a great design.

I liked Colt - the earlier generation.

Let's be honest the brand won't be missed. Offered nothing interesting in last decade.

wonski wrote: »
    Looking at the posts it is clear Mitsubishi is already gone here.

Most only remember the 90's and early 200x.

Lancer I just remember from the rallies, Galant was a great design.

I liked Colt - the earlier generation.

Let's be honest the brand won't be missed. Offered nothing interesting in last decade.

Even the 4wd pajero ( which sold pretty well) was really old hat compared to it's off roader rival's

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Working in New Zealand circa 1998 and bought myself a mid 1980,s Mazda 626 ,Japanese import ,electric Windows, beautiful interior, the mitsubishi
    Alternative was pretty uninspiring back then too ,think they had a colt saloon down under as i don't remember seeing the lancer ?

Colt saloon is the Lancer

• Advertisement

Even the 4wd pajero ( which sold pretty well) was really old hat compared to it's off roader rival's

Current Pajero hasn't really evolved much since 2001 model,

They had a Mirage saloon too which was slightly different to the Lancer.

Yes but a lot of cars in New Zealand were Japanese imports, perhaps they had a colt saloon in Japan itself?

Maybe my memory is off

Current Pajero hasn't really evolved much since 2001 model,

astonishing when you think about it, the Isuzu trooper could still be bought new back then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

astonishing when you think about it, the Isuzu trooper could still be bought new back then

You could still buy a new Trooper in 2006 if you talked to the right people.

Oops! wrote: »
    You could still buy a new Trooper in 2006 if you talked to the right people.

An Isuzu dealer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

AFAIK the last Troopers were built in approx 2002 and a lot of them were stockpiled by Harris group and sold off gradually over the next few years.
    That model Trooper was an excellent 4x4 but was unfortunately let down by an engine with the durability of wet sawdust.

It's a pity they had that engine.... A great 4x4.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭alias no.9

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Volvo S40 I think

A DAF surely

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

They had three niches that sold pretty well here but nothing enough to support the European presence effectively. They being;
    - the outlander PHEV (Apparently sold 35,000 in Europe last year which was a decent turn) and the standard 7 seater
    - the Outlander commercial model is very popular with utilities and some other companies as a company vehicle. I know a few people that have them and are very happy
    - the L200 pick up

Outside of that the range is flat and no way competent enough vs the competition.
    Space star, ASX in particular are uninspiring low rent warmed up leftovers.
    The Eclipse while quite striking hasn’t made a big impact- I suspect lack of engine choice and price may be a factor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

There’s no way in hell I’d spend nearly €40k on one of these;
    I just found this vehicle on Carzone.ie https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/mitsubishi/eclipse-cross/used-2020-202-mitsubishi-eclipse-cros-dublin-fpa-201907029621611

road_high wrote: »
    They had three niches that sold pretty well here but nothing enough to support the European presence effectively. They being;
    - the outlander PHEV (Apparently sold 35,000 in Europe last year which was a decent turn) and the standard 7 seater
    - the Outlander commercial model is very popular with utilities and some other companies as a company vehicle. I know a few people that have them and are very happy
    - the L200 pick up

Outside of that the range is flat and no way competent enough vs the competition.
    Space star, ASX in particular are uninspiring low rent warmed up leftovers.
    The Eclipse while quite striking hasn’t made a big impact- I suspect lack of engine choice and price may be a factor

The Lancer Evo series could also be described as a niche.... I'd love to own a clean un-abused 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

AFAIK the last Troopers were built in approx 2002 and a lot of them were stockpiled by Harris group and sold off gradually over the next few years.
    That model Trooper was an excellent 4x4 but was unfortunately let down by an engine with the durability of wet sawdust.

Worst 4x4 I ever bought.... Headache and money pit....
    Pajero was most reliable out of many I had...
    Comfy too.

Pajero Evo was a nice machine....

Mivec in the other models, could never get insurance

Comfy too.

As we stated... An engine that had a serous amount of design faults.

As we stated... An engine that had a serous amount of design faults.

Wasn't just the engine.....

Now saying that was in many of the proper 3.1 as a kid moving cattle and travelling to the meat factory....

Was brilliant, sitting in the rear, no seats, plenty of power and big trailer loads.

Comfort though wasn't a big thing as I learnt much later on when I said I would like one myself, it broke my heart and bank balance....

Would get out of it and couldn't walk

Comfy too.

Trooper had two eras, pre 98 were far more reliable than the replacement version which had a different engine

The pajero weren't really known for their comfort, very course sounding engine too,great to tow however

The bulk of the Pajeros back in the 90s were JDM imports. You wouldn’t have seen nearly as many Land Cruisers back then.
    The Trooper was quite well priced as a commercial back then so I guess that was part of its appeal.

It's a pity they had that engine.... A great 4x4.

Most of them ended up getting converted back to 2.8 or 3.1 from the older models. 3.0 was terrible engine,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

colm_mcm wrote: »
    They had a Mirage saloon too which was slightly different to the Lancer.

I had one of these back in the day LOVED THAT CAR

Advertisement