Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mitsubishi to quit Europe?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭Miscreant

road_high wrote: »
    Bit shocked at this announcement- they had invested a lot in the Irish dealer network recently. I guess Covid 19 fallout coupled with increased regs.
    https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/mitsubishi-freezes-introduction-new-models-europe

A “freeze” must mean a withdrawal really?

Other than the sea of Outlander PHEVs, I can't remember the last time I saw a reasonably new Mitsubishi on the roads. I am actually surprised they still operate here TBH considering that most of the Outlanders our there are imports anyway.
    The remainder of their range (ASX, Eclipse and Space Star) have a lot of competitors, most of which are significantly cheaper.
    I have seen a few relatively new L200s lately though but surely that can't be enough to keep a dealer network going in such a small market?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Not shocked. Their lineup is shocking though.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Pekarirska

Expect more companies abandoning shrinking European ICE market. Better off developing Mitsubishi heat pump and air conditioning technology.

Pekarirska wrote: »
    Expect more companies abandoning shrinking European ICE market. Better off developing Mitsubishi heat pump and air conditioning technology.

Different company and ownership now AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Not shocked. Their lineup is shocking though.

Who doesn't want a Lancer designed 15 years ago :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭3d4life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

There hybrid suvs would be great option if their boot wasn’t as small as a minis

• Registered Users Posts: 51,139 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Oh no, who are all those just eat delivery drivers going to get their cars from now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Sales must be tiny, old L200 are still around but very little else, would have been fairly even with Mazda and Honda at one stage, Honda next to exit?

• Advertisement

Hondas European sales are consistently dropping. Their model range is pretty horrible at the moment which explains that.

If I was a betting man, I’d say Suzuki will be next to pull out of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,483 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Who exactly do Mitsubishi think the target customer for cars as offensively ugly as this actually are?

Anyone with eyesight poor enough that they'd consider parting with their cash for one shouldn't be allowed hold a license.

OWMxYjNiYTA2YTIxMjc3ZWNmZmNjZmJjZDRjNThhOWLaalCe8RPYTeqBpQqM-9tnaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTIyNTA4Mzh8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

YzM2ZGE4NzcwM2JkOTUxNjdjZTdiM2QwOWI4YjhmNjTm1_yiy1PwFY3qVtUeVJFBaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTIwMDE3MjJ8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Hondas European sales are consistently dropping. Their model range is pretty horrible at the moment which explains that.

If I was a betting man, I’d say Suzuki will be next to pull out of Europe.

Quite a few about here, Vitara and Swift, would be much commoner than Mitsi or Honda. Hyundai ,Toyota and VW seem to have it to themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

What happens the 8 year warranty?

I reckon Subaru will go long before Suzuki. I'd miss Suzuki if they go, I really like their cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

ba_barabus wrote: »
    What happens the 8 year warranty?

I reckon Subaru will go long before Suzuki. I'd miss Suzuki if they go, I really like their cars.

have subaru ever sold well here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    have subaru ever sold well here ?
    They were doing ok in the 90s afaik, never a big player but certainly doing ok.

TBH it's a pity they don't sell better as they have some interesting engineering.

The L200 and Outlander would be a loss but that’s all they have.

At least we drive on the correct side of the road here and the UK so will always be able to import them unlike the rest of Europe.

Most of the jap marquees have lost their coolness as they have stopped producing mad turboed versions of lots of their normal range.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

They probably sell more forklifts over here

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭3d4life

They probably sell more forklifts over here

Those would be from Mitsubishi Heavy Industries rather than Mitsi-motors.

Anyone know what does Mitsubishi mean in Japanese ?

:confused:

Perhaps its a common name like Murphy is here ?

Murphy Motors
    Murphy Heavy Industries
    Murphy Electric Co.

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I think it’s a pity, all it means is less choice going forward.
    Europe will regulate itself out of existence soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Id say they were hoping to hold out till a new Pajero arrived. If they were just selling the outlander, l200 and Pajero it might be enough to keep a few more rural dealers alive.

their model range is awful now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,648 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I think it’s a pity, all it means is less choice going forward.
    Europe will regulate itself out of existence soon

Lol.

Nothing to do with regulation. That's a silly take on this and Europe.

Id say they were hoping to hold out till a new Pajero arrived. If they were just selling the outlander, l200 and Pajero it might be enough to keep a few more rural dealers alive.

Look at the competition. Many are launching new cars every other month.
    Mercedes-Benz have so many models I loose track of them all. I thought Mitsubishi would be benefiting from the Nissan Renault tie up but that seems to have its own problems. If they don’t get their acts together they’ll all end up dead

listermint wrote: »
    Lol.

Nothing to do with regulation. That's a silly take on this and Europe.

Laugh away- It’s increasing prohibitive to invest in developing cars for Europe. They’re doing the maths on ROI and deciding to leave instead. They’re not leaving because just they can’t be bothered.

Look at the competition. Many are launching new cars every other month.
    Mercedes-Benz have so many models I loose track of them all. I thought Mitsubishi would be benefiting from the Nissan Renault tie up but that seems to have its own problems. If they don’t get their acts together they’ll all end up dead

this craic of having a crossover of every size should hopefully die soon. Mitsubishi should know their audience, make a full size SUV, a medium crossover and a pickup, the crossover as a petrol hybrid and the other two with a decent V6 diesel. Job done for them and it would all be well within their wheel house.

Just to put sales figures into context

new-car-sales-japanese.jpg

Ireland really has moved beyond Mazda, Subaru or Mitsubishi being viable here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

The global car market is consolidating rapidly especially in the face of the huge R&D cost to develop EV cars for the mass market.

Unfortunately that likely means the slow death of many small Japanese brands unless they get bought out by bigger brand or merge into one bigger brand and develop shared platforms. Can even see Mazda and Honda being dragged into some trouble if they aren't careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

According to that, Lexus sellin f all here lately ... wouldn’t have thought that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The pajero is a dinosaur, even farmers view it as lacking refinement

Advertisement