Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 US Presidential Election (aka: The Trump Coronation)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

Overheal wrote: »
    Meh. This is why I trend away from getting into debates about the spectrum. It's all wishy washy timey whimey 'science' as far as I'm concerned. Much more interested in the grist of what policymakers do and say and whether that is good for the nation or the world at large.

It can be, as people are a mixed bag and have views that may be at odds, so not easy to pin down. One thing that I was taught is that Left and Right can be boiled down to one question: what do you think is more important, spending wealth, or gaining wealth?

Left is more focused in spending, Right is more focused on gaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Bit of a myth. Ever single Republican president last 60 years have spent excessively.

The most fiscally conservative president by far last 100 years was a Democract, Bill Clinton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Where is Joe Biden .

He hasn't done much

• Registered Users Posts: 15,493 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Where is Joe Biden .

He hasn't done much

What should he be doing?

A huge amount of the country is in the face of a pandemic crisis.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Leroy42 wrote: »
    What should he be doing?

Campaigning for an election he might want to win I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Trumps America

I genuinely felt a chill watching that. Not because there are two people wearing those masks, but because there are so many in the US that if push comes to shove, they would line up to support them rather than oppose them.

And Trump is trying to turn the push in to a shove with his rhetoric and use of unidentifiable militant groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,525 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

How do you figure he campaigns? By holding rallies and encouraging large crowds to gather like Donnie did? Luckily he's not that dumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Well, the campaigning he has done so far has been very successful hasn't it. Why change?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,493 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

He is campaigning. By showing strong, considered leadership.

By putting the health of the citizens first.

So far it seems to be working for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,832 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

One thing that I was taught is that Left and Right can be boiled down to one question: what do you think is more important, spending wealth, or gaining wealth?

The idea that you can boil such a huge spectrum of beliefs and practices down to any single question is far too simplistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,421 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Where is Joe Biden .

He hasn't done much

he doesn't need to, Trump is winning the election for the dems

• Registered Users Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭tigger123

His mismanagement of the coronavirus and the people that died because of it will be Trump's legacy. It's what he'll be remembered for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Danzy wrote: »
    Trump is nearer to Sanders than any other Republican President, especially Reagan. Reagan is very far from his politics, so not surprising.

Not on tax cuts he isn't.

Striking contrast between presidencies

Ed0peS9WAAIiE4_?format=png&name=900x900

All the people in the front rows same colour as president in both photos ;)

All the people in the front rows same colour as president in both photos ;)

Because it was the 50th anniversary of the Selma March :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/blog/2015/03/08/president-obama-marks-50th-anniversary-marches-selma-montgomery

And there's Geoge Bush and the fmr. First Lady in the wide shot:

266DF1F600000578-2987086-Original_The_current_president_center_and_former_president_right-a-3_1425988842924.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

tigger123 wrote: »
    His mismanagement of the coronavirus and the people that died because of it will be Trump's legacy. It's what he'll be remembered for.

I think everyone will remember the whole coronavirus epidemic as a harrowing time, but don't think it'll be one of the key things remembered about the trump presidency. After all it'll be a 6-7 month segment of an 8 year presidency.

I think everyone will remember the whole coronavirus epidemic as a harrowing time, but don't think it'll be one of the key things remembered about the trump presidency. After all it'll be a 6-7 month segment of an 8 year presidency.

Where 150k have died so far under the president's watch, it's also looking incredibly likely that he will not get a second term. Also there's no sign of it going away any time soon.

He has delegated this task to Trump, shows a keen management mind as ingenious strategy is working a treat and is cheap too.

• Advertisement

Where 150k have died so far under the president's watch, it's also looking incredibly likely that he will not get a second term. Also there's no sign of it going away any time soon.

I remember in March, every MAGA post on social media was some variation of Obama's 'disastrous' H1N1 handling, because 12,469 deaths happened.

For a couple weeks there the memes kept shifting the number up - 12k, 12,500, 13k, 14k.... and now they'e gone to ground. :rolleyes:

Because it was the 50th anniversary of the Selma March :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/blog/2015/03/08/president-obama-marks-50th-anniversary-marches-selma-montgomery

And there's Geoge Bush and the fmr. First Lady in the wide shot:

266DF1F600000578-2987086-Original_The_current_president_center_and_former_president_right-a-3_1425988842924.jpg

I was joking, hence the winking emoji.

The second one is a different location, so can't be described as the "wide shot".

I was joking, hence the winking emoji.

The second one is a different location, so can't be described as the "wide shot".

It's the same location just the other end of the bridge :p

what event is the trump photo you posted a comparison from ?

what event is the trump photo you posted a comparison from ?

A fantastic question, original source was social media and didn't say.

EDIT: Washington Post,
    Arlington pulls its officers out of D.C. after sweep of protesters before Trump visit

NXMBDYVEMII6VCMOWINZVA7XSI.jpg&w=916
    President Trump pumps his fist as he walks between lines of riot police in Lafayette Park Square across from the White House while walking to St John's Episcopal Church for a photo opportunity on Monday night. (Tom Brenner/Reuters)

Arlington County officials on Monday night withdrew their police officers from the District.

Arlington police had been helping the U.S. Park Police with crowd control and were used to clear the way for President Trump to make an appearance tonight at St. John’s Episcopal Church near the White House — an action that involved firing chemical canisters and stingers at protesters, including families with children, who were demonstrating peacefully before the District’s 7 p.m. curfew went into effect.

The county’s police department had been working at Lafayette Square since Saturday as part of a preexisting mutual aid agreement with the National Park Police, filling in whenever an officer holding the line there got tired, said Libby Garvey, chair of Arlington County Board.

“The next thing we know, they get pulled in to do this photo op,” Garvey (D) said. “Our mutual aid agreement is to help each other when we’re trying to protect people; not for photo ops.

“It endangered everybody in the park. It endangered all of our officers,” Garvey said. “We don’t do that.”

Said Arlington County Manager Mark Schwartz: "The mutual aid agreement is not put in place to allow for a blatantly political act. Crowd control is a far cry from assisting someone to stand in front of a church.”

Garvey said the county will reevaluate its long-standing agreement with the Park Police and said the county’s police will not be helping with any future protests in the nation’s capital until it decides on a course of action.

“We’re in a bad place,” Garvey said. “This is an abuse of our mutual aid agreement."

By Antonio Olivo and Patricia Sullivan

So it's from the same incident where he teargassed the clergy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2020/06/01/dc-protest-george-floyd-white-house/

Arlington pulls its officers out of D.C. after sweep of protesters before Trump visit

President Trump pumps his fist as he walks between lines of riot police in Lafayette Park Square across from the White House while walking to St John's Episcopal Church for a photo opportunity on Monday night. (Tom Brenner/Reuters)

Arlington County officials on Monday night withdrew their police officers from the District.

Arlington police had been helping the U.S. Park Police with crowd control and were used to clear the way for President Trump to make an appearance tonight at St. John’s Episcopal Church near the White House — an action that involved firing chemical canisters and stingers at protesters, including families with children, who were demonstrating peacefully before the District’s 7 p.m. curfew went into effect.

The county’s police department had been working at Lafayette Square since Saturday as part of a preexisting mutual aid agreement with the National Park Police, filling in whenever an officer holding the line there got tired, said Libby Garvey, chair of Arlington County Board.

“The next thing we know, they get pulled in to do this photo op,” Garvey (D) said. “Our mutual aid agreement is to help each other when we’re trying to protect people; not for photo ops.

“It endangered everybody in the park. It endangered all of our officers,” Garvey said. “We don’t do that.”

Said Arlington County Manager Mark Schwartz: "The mutual aid agreement is not put in place to allow for a blatantly political act. Crowd control is a far cry from assisting someone to stand in front of a church.”

Garvey said the county will reevaluate its long-standing agreement with the Park Police and said the county’s police will not be helping with any future protests in the nation’s capital until it decides on a course of action.

“We’re in a bad place,” Garvey said. “This is an abuse of our mutual aid agreement."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2020/06/01/dc-protest-george-floyd-white-house/

I was going to joke it was when he crawled out of the bunker and it turns out it was lol.

All the magas seem to be quiet today is Internet down in Russia?

ok, so for comparison of presidencies you have used a PR photo taken on an organised black civil rights march commemoration years ago vs a photo during the corona virus epidemic in a city with rampant looting and violent protests.

I fail to see how any comparison of a presidents popularity or performance could be drawn from these drastically different situations.

I remember in March, every MAGA post on social media was some variation of Obama's 'disastrous' H1N1 handling, because 12,469 deaths happened.

For a couple weeks there the memes kept shifting the number up - 12k, 12,500, 13k, 14k.... and now they'e gone to ground. :rolleyes:
    The other major aspect is that how a president handles a national crisis is a defining moment for them and generally the public rally behind them. He hasn't managed this remotely.

I bet you wouldn't have said that to Caesar

• Advertisement

ok, so for comparison of presidencies you have used a PR photo taken on an organised black civil rights march commemoration years ago vs a photo during the corona virus epidemic in a city with rampant looting and violent protests.

I fail to see how any comparison of a presidents popularity or performance could be drawn from these drastically different situations.

I guess it shows you get the type of civil rights marchs the authorities, by their actions, design. Although I don't think the facts on the ground support your description of the current marches.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement