Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 US Presidential Election (aka: The Trump Coronation)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭threeball

So much for Trumps claim to have created the greatest economy ever with the biggest rise in the markets

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sergeiklebnikov/2020/07/23/historical-stock-market-returns-under-every-us-president/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Polar101

I firmly believe some of the anti Trump hysteria backfired in 2016 and it will probably backfire worse this year.

Quite possibly, it never works when people on the internet are telling how stupid you'd have to be to vote Trump. But this time everyone has had 4 years to see how well Trump handles the economy, the job itself and even pandemics - you would think that makes a big difference to the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Me neither. It's a... strange thing to have happened within four hours of setting up their account, and stranger still their need to announce it in such a manner without stating whom the messages were from.
    Yeah it is a bit odd....hope it doesn't cause the poster too much upset...would be terrible if he had to re-reg again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Igotadose wrote: »
    Hey, a little backstreet modding. Maybe the follow-on thread (as this one is nearing 10k posts) can be created without the 'coronation' sh1te in the title? Just '2020 Presidential Election?'

Just a suggestion of course.

Just for balance...

"Biden, his time"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,553 ✭✭✭✭briany

Polar101 wrote: »
    Quite possibly, it never works when people on the internet are telling how stupid you'd have to be to vote Trump. But this time everyone has had 4 years to see how well Trump handles the economy, the job itself and even pandemics - you would think that makes a big difference to the result.

As ever, Trump has his loyalists who would literally vote for him if he shot an innocent man on 5th avenue, but I doubt there are half as many swing voters who are looking at Trump and thinks he ought to have a second term.

One thing about Trump's campaign this time around is that he hasn't really laid out any goals for a 2nd term, which is pretty extraordinary. I'm not talking about precise points of policy, I'm just talking about the big picture - i.e. his message and his vision for the United States. Even 4 years ago he had a broad outline of what he wanted to achieve, like tightening down on illegals and bringing manufacturing jobs back. He doesn't even seem to have that, now. And he can blame Coronavirus all he wants for waylaying his campaign, but there's no reason he and his team (mainly his team) can't put together a cogent set of proposals re: what a second term would look like. For a man so fixated on winning, you'd think he'd want to do a little more legwork in achieving that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,832 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

He’s completely lost the skirmish in Portland.

Portland Protesters now joined by Wall of Veterans in response to underhanded response by the Department of Homeland Security, up to and concluding shattering the hand of a navy vet who stood peacefully with his arms at his sides, also pepper sprayed in the same instance.

The crowd last night was over ten thousand strong.

https://lawandcrime.com/george-floyd-death/wall-of-veterans-arrives-in-portland-to-protect-black-lives-matter-protesters-from-trumps-dhs-troops/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Overheal wrote: »

Portland Protesters now joined by Wall of Veterans in response to underhanded response by the Department of Homeland Security, up to and concluding shattering the hand of a navy vet who stood peacefully with his arms at his sides, also pepper sprayed in the same instance.

https://lawandcrime.com/george-floyd-death/wall-of-veterans-arrives-in-portland-to-protect-black-lives-matter-protesters-from-trumps-dhs-troops/

This is going to backfire spectacularly for Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭ollkiller

When the veterans come out you know the game is up for Trump. You can piss off parts of the population but when it comes to veterans it's a big no no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

What does Ghislaine Maxwell have on Donald Trump?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Damn straight. Trump calls some of the best women in the world derogatory names but he wishes the child prostitution trafficker well. Scum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭threeball

If I was Biden I'd make sure my security was top notch for the next 6 or 7 months. The nut jobs that support Trump are more than capable of trying a Lincoln project of their own. As he pulls further ahead and D.ump becomes more exposed those fruitcakes are capable of anything

• Registered Users Posts: 16,405 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

threeball wrote: »
    If I was Biden I'd make sure my security was top notch for the next 6 or 7 months. The nut jobs that support Trump are more than capable of trying a Lincoln project of their own. As he pulls further ahead and D.ump becomes more exposed those fruitcakes are capable of anything

We've really crossed into fantasy land haven't we?

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,553 ✭✭✭✭briany

4Chan has been leaking from the Internet for a while. Right-wing nuts are no longer just overweight men in their 60s gasping for breath in their too-tight camo make-believe-militia uniforms. They're now also stuff like the Boogaloo Boys - an Internet movement that wants to kickstart the second civil war, or "The Boogaloo", as they call it. Two men tied to the movement were involved in the murders of two courthouse security men in June this year.

Point being that bedroom radicalisation isn't just for people who'd run off to join ISIS, but happens with western movements as well. The Boogaloo Boys would probably love to have a go at Biden if they could. But in saying that, death threats are bread & butter to a presidential candidate, i.e. they're not that rare at all. In fact, I'd say they're so numerous it's more about deciding which ones are credible, and that's probably where a good security detail earns its stripes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

They really are throwing a lot of muck at The Donald. Which is nice.

nullzero wrote: »
    We've really crossed into fantasy land haven't we?

Nope. Not even remotely.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_2018_United_States_mail_bombing_attempts
    From October 22 to November 1, 2018, sixteen packages found to contain pipe bombs were mailed via the U.S. Postal Service to several Democratic Party politicians and other prominent critics of U.S. President Donald Trump. Targets included former U.S. President Barack Obama, former U.S. Vice President Joe Biden, and former U.S. Senator and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

A suspect, Cesar Altieri Sayoc Jr., was arrested in Florida on October 26, held without bail, and charged with five federal crimes the following week.[14][15] The FBI investigated the case as domestic terrorism.[16]

On March 21, 2019, Sayoc pleaded guilty to 65 felony counts, including using weapons of mass destruction in an attempted domestic terrorist attack. He was sentenced to a maximum of 20 years in prison on August 5, 2019.[17]

28floridaman4-articleLarge-v2.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp&disable=upscale

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

They really are throwing a lot of muck at The Donald. Which is nice.

There is every flavour of mud to throw.

:eek:

“The Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation and Institute, which runs the 40th president’s library near Los Angeles, has demanded that President Trump and the Republican National Committee (RNC) quit raising campaign money by using Ronald Reagan’s name and likeness”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/07/25/reagan-foundation-trump-rnc-quit-raising-money-off-ronald-reagans-legacy/

Where do you even begin with that!?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

:eek:

“The Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation and Institute, which runs the 40th president’s library near Los Angeles, has demanded that President Trump and the Republican National Committee (RNC) quit raising campaign money by using Ronald Reagan’s name and likeness”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/07/25/reagan-foundation-trump-rnc-quit-raising-money-off-ronald-reagans-legacy/

Where do you even begin with that!?

Trump is nearer to Sanders than any other Republican President, especially Reagan. Reagan is very far from his politics, so not surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

When a candidate is running for President they get protected by the CIA. I remember similar things being said about Obama when he was running for the White House that some white supremacist would take a pot shot at him but he was fully protected by the secret service throughout the campaign.

I saw Bidens motorcade earlier this week on tv, it was 6 identical blacked out SUVs with the hidden blue flashing lights in the bumpers (fenders ;)) So Biden is already being protected by a secret service detail.

I would guess after the murder of JFK the secret service really want to make sure that no other politicians get assassinated, its not a good look for them if the person they are protecting gets killed.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Muahahaha wrote: »
    When a candidate is running for President they get protected by the CIA. I remember similar things being said about Obama when he was running for the White House that some white supremacist would take a pot shot at him but he was fully protected by the secret service throughout the campaign.

I saw Bidens motorcade earlier this week on tv, it was 6 identical blacked out SUVs with the hidden blue flashing lights in the bumpers (fenders ;)) So Biden is already being protected by a secret service detail.

I would guess after the murder of JFK the secret service really want to make sure that no other politicians get assassinated, its not a good look for them if the person they are protecting gets killed.

As a former VP I think he always has Secret service protection. No doubt upgraded now though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Danzy wrote: »
    Trump is nearer to Sanders than any other Republican President, especially Reagan. Reagan is very far from his politics, so not surprising.

you what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

you what?

I read that and assumed they meant colonel sanders

Danzy wrote: »

attachment.php?attachmentid=521134&d=1595773037

attachment.php?attachmentid=521135&d=1595773037

Want to try that again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

This really highlights the lack of any Left-wing choice in the politics of the USA.

No wonder the USA is in a bit of a state.

This really highlights the lack of any Left-wing choice in the politics of the USA.

No wonder the USA is in a bit of a state.

It’s left within the sphere of American politics just like the Irish sphere is its own bag of bolts.

It’s left within the sphere of American politics just like the Irish sphere is its own bag of bolts.

The political appetite for a left wing politician isn't really there imho. Think it's slowly moving there but still a lot seem to subscribe to red scare notions.

The political appetite for a left wing politician isn't really there imho. Think it's slowly moving there but still a lot seem to subscribe to red scare notions.

Its fair to say that the US didn't 'lose' the Cold War so much as they just 'lost a little less'. It completely. Broke their national psyche and if the America of FDRs time could see what it has become in that sense they would likely be horrified.

Striking contrast between presidencies

Ed0peS9WAAIiE4_?format=png&name=900x900

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

I guess, so the American Left is essentially just a few steps left of far right/corporate capitalism.

Sorry state of affairs when right of center is the closest thing to left.

• Advertisement

I guess, so the American Left is essentially just a few steps left of far right/corporate capitalism.

Sorry state of affairs when right of center is the closest thing to left.

Meh. This is why I trend away from getting into debates about the spectrum. It's all wishy washy timey whimey 'science' as far as I'm concerned. Much more interested in the grist of what policymakers do and say and whether that is good for the nation or the world at large.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement