Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

ba_barabus wrote: »
    No. It's very similar but they won't accept that one.

What are articles 10 and 11 that are referrred to on that form?

I wonder, can I just send them a letter.. a normal letter, asking them to send out the form? I know they don't read emails or answer phones, but i presume they still have the capacity to read a letter?

or do shannon just ignore letters, unless they're documents?

Speaking of my motoring woes, what do he guys think of this pricing for these bits of work?

Front ball joint passenger side and apparently spring isn't in great shape, so it's on it too.

The rest might be self explanatory

https://i.postimg.cc/jqy7bh1c/IMG-20200717-WA0001.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Speaking of my motoring woes, what do he guys think of this pricing for these bits of work?

Front ball joint passenger side and apparently spring isn't in great shape, so it's on it too.

The rest might be self explanatory

https://i.postimg.cc/jqy7bh1c/IMG-20200717-WA0001.jpg

Can you not do them yourself? Changing oil and filters is handy. The rear discs, pads and calipers are easy also. And then get him to do the two €150 parts.

re. price:
    I know it all adds up but it's not too bad all things considered. €650

Can you not do them yourself? Changing oil and filters is handy. The rear discs, pads and calipers are easy also. And then get him to do the two €150 parts.

re. price:
    I know it all adds up but it's not too bad all things considered. €650

I need the car for work. Those bits might be simple if you know what you're at, but as someone whose never done them I'd take forever.

Itd be worth it for me to pay someone to do it to just make sure it's done and done in a timely manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Seems very good value to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

If you taxed a car for the year and then for some reason put it off the road for a few months can you claim back the tax for the duration it is off the road?

If you taxed a car for the year and then for some reason put it off the road for a few months can you claim back the tax for the duration it is off the road?

As far as I know you can only claim back in the same durations that you can buy it (ie: 3months and 6 months). So if you've 9 months left, you can can only claim back 6 months.

Open to correction though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

I have spent the last 3 weeks trying to decide whether or not to sell the GTI or not actually never spent so long thinking about changing a car. Just dreading the whole selling it process I don't have it up yet. But can already imagine the calls when its on Donedeal and offers of 20-25k on it as that is all its worth or the I can get a manual non performance pack UK one for X expecting my one to be priced the same. I know a few people who might be interested in it so might start there. I think the figure I have in my head is realistic for what its worth but at the same time I am not going to sell it stupid cheap just for the sake of selling it.

Still having second thoughts about selling it as I don't need the money and there are things about the car I like. But at the same time after owning a few expensive cars I just have this odd desire to own something normal I don't have to worry too much about or care if it gets scratched or if an alloy gets damaged and most importantly jus won't stand out at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Surely the Audi dealer will take it as a trade in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭selectamatic

CIP4 wrote: »
    I have spent the last 3 weeks trying to decide whether or not to sell the GTI.

But can already imagine the calls when its on Donedeal and offers.

I just have this odd desire to own something normal I don't have to worry too much about or care if it gets scratched or if an alloy gets damaged and most importantly jus won't stand out at all.

Swap for a 1999 corolla?

3 good tyres on it.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Surely the Audi dealer will take it as a trade in.

Not sure if you are joking or serious :pac:

The type of car ill be buying you won't find on an Audi Forecourt :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Is your car financed Cip?

Is your car financed Cip?

Yes but like literally a couple of thousand left on it. Say 5K with VW bank which I would obviously clear before it’s selling it.

Are you trading down?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Are you trading down?

Yes that would be the plan for the minute. There actually isn’t anything out there that appeals to me to trade up too. The only thing I actually like is the G20 330i but wouldn’t be sure enough to buy one at the minute as it wouldn’t be easy to off load in 6 months time if I decided I didn’t like it.

So my plan currently is sell the Golf now while mileage is low and it’s still under manufacture warranty. Buy a standard diesel probably around 10k. Cheap motoring for a while something a bit normal. Then whenever I find something I really like flog the diesel handy enough and buy the other car.

There just really is literally nothing I like enough to spend big money on at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

You can only claim tax back if you scrap the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Why would you go backwards, it's the worst decision you'll ever make.... Why sell so soon, the car is high performance and I'd keep it... A little longer anyway.

L-M wrote: »
    You can only claim tax back if you scrap the car.

Or export

Or export

Or give them an extreme sob story about not being able to use the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Cip why don't you look at an F30 330i ? Or even a 330d ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

CIP4 wrote: »
    Yes but like literally a couple of thousand left on it. Say 5K with VW bank which I would obviously clear before it’s selling it.

CIP do yourself a favour, keep the car, pay off the loan and buy that house you've been talking about. Come back in 2/3 years and trade up and still have equity to move up rather than trying to start again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

I'd sell it. You're paying a premium (in depreciation) for a car you don't care for.

Buy a cheap diesel run around and buy a house.

I bought a new car a few years ago and it was delayed. I sold my current car at the time privately and the delay left me car less. I asked the dealer to sort me out with any thing at all. They gave me a beige Octavia estate that was old and high millage. One of the best cars I drove as I didn't give to ****s about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,681 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I have a 142 A6 that sits in the driveway at least 4 days a week, I normally drive a 93 corolla. I love it cause I don't have to look after it, it's been crashed 5 times, I don't service it but I might fix something serious. I'm really only using the A6 to qualify for classic insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

PsychoPete wrote: »
    I have a 142 A6 that sits in the driveway at least 4 days a week, I normally drive a 93 corolla. I love it cause I don't have to look after it, it's been crashed 5 times, I don't service it but I might fix something serious. I'm really only using the A6 to qualify for classic insurance

Haha

Cip why don't you look at an F30 330i ? Or even a 330d ?

I don't really get the whole high powered diesel thing if I wanted performance I would buy a petrol. But a 320d would be an option but if I am going back a bit age wise I think something VAG would be less likely to give me trouble.
    CIP do yourself a favour, keep the car, pay off the loan and buy that house you've been talking about. Come back in 2/3 years and trade up and still have equity to move up rather than trying to start again.

The house search is still on going just not 100% sure where exactly I want to actually live :o But we won't go down that road.
    vintagevrs wrote: »
    I'd sell it. You're paying a premium (in depreciation) for a car you don't care for.

I bought a new car a few years ago and it was delayed. I sold my current car at the time privately and the delay left me car less. I asked the dealer to sort me out with any thing at all. They gave me a beige Octavia estate that was old and high millage. One of the best cars I drove as I didn't give to ****s about it.

I think you have probably nailed the situation the best. For whatever reason I really just couldn't give a sh!t about cars at the minute so driving around in a GTI and having to mind it and deal with higher running costs, maintenance, attention it gets etc. just seems absolutely pointless.

The way I see it when my love for cars comes back and I see something I like I will just buy it and flog the diesel not a big deal. A few closer family have said it to me that I just literally don't care (no interest in it as opposed to don't mind it) about the Golf at all so why bother with it.

vintagevrs wrote: »

Sounds like an old Green Party election slogan.

PsychoPete wrote: »

I don't have a 142 A6, but I do find that my interest in having a 'good' car has died off lately. I have started to enjoy the fact that I don't care about the car.

I hit a pigeon a week or two back (did I tell anyone about that here? He actually survived and was still in my grill when I got home 10 minutes later! Had to get him out, take care of him for a few hours and let him go back to the wild!) and it didn't really bother me that my grill is sitting slightly 'off' now (though i will just glue it back).

I also, yesterday, noticed a new scuff where, presumably a car tried to get by me in a car park or something. Rubbed it off and it's mostly gone, with the exception of one deeper scratch. Just shrugged my shoulders and got on with my life.

With the old C5 that I adored, that'd have been a day of messing around with painting it, polishing in, sanding it, caving in and asking a pro for quotes, etc. and i'd be annoyed for a week over it.

I love bangers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Weird question,

I'm looking at buying a small van. There's a good few on Donedeal with company decals still on.

What's the legality of driving around with some company's info on the side.
    My thinking is they should remove it before sale, but not sure if that's the official answer.

I drive a car as intended, I service the car, use to wash it but since a Yaris creamed into the front 7 months ago I've lost all interest.

I think the dirt is now holding it together...
    I bounce it of things and just no longer care

• Advertisement

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Weird question,

I'm looking at buying a small van. There's a good few on Donedeal with company decals still on.

What's the legality of driving around with some company's info on the side.
    My thinking is they should remove it before sale, but not sure if that's the official answer.

Heat gun and some blades... Tar and glue remover and a good polish brings back to New...

Depends on company most it would be removed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement