Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

CIP do yourself a favour, keep the car, pay off the loan and buy that house you've been talking about. Come back in 2/3 years and trade up and still have equity to move up rather than trying to start again.

Financially, that's not doing himself a favour.
    Cash tied up in an asset thats depreciating quickly isn't better than a cheaper asset depreciating at the same rate.

OP, I'd recommend a circa 5k hot hatch. I have a summer e46 m3 & a stage 1 mk5 gti I've had 6 years now, bought it when I got my first job out of college, it was my baby until I got the m3 which I always wanted. Now the golf is effectively worthless so I don't mind if I get a scratch, someone spills coffee in it etc. Its my favourite car to drive because its got c. 260 bhp, doesnt stand out, cheap to run, i get all the pleasure & none of the stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,458 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

CIP4 wrote: »
    Yes that would be the plan for the minute. There actually isn’t anything out there that appeals to me to trade up too. The only thing I actually like is the G20 330i but wouldn’t be sure enough to buy one at the minute as it wouldn’t be easy to off load in 6 months time if I decided I didn’t like it.

So my plan currently is sell the Golf now while mileage is low and it’s still under manufacture warranty. Buy a standard diesel probably around 10k. Cheap motoring for a while something a bit normal. Then whenever I find something I really like flog the diesel handy enough and buy the other car.

There just really is literally nothing I like enough to spend big money on at the minute.
    535d/335d?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Anyone recognise the brand that this locking nut may be from? Maybe it's a generic one, I have no idea. Found it at the house and trying to guess who's car it might have come off.

Thanks

IMG-20200727-115459.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,588 ✭✭✭tossy

Never seen a locking nut like that. Is it off a roofbox or roofrack maybe ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Anyone recognise the brand that this locking nut may be from? Maybe it's a generic one, I have no idea. Found it at the house and trying to guess who's car it might have come off.

Thanks

IMG-20200727-115459.jpg
    I have them on the Mazda if that's of any help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

tossy wrote: »
    Never seen a locking nut like that. Is it off a roofbox or roofrack maybe ?
    The outside of it should spin, to stop people beating a socket onto it or getting a hold with something to turn it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

By a mad coincidence the car it's off turned up there now and I had a quick look around it and sure enough.

They were on a Evoque. Apparently car was serviced last week, and locking key can not be found either now...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

vintagevrs wrote: »
    By a mad coincidence the car it's off turned up there now and I had a quick look around it and sure enough.

They were on a Evoque. Apparently car was serviced last week, and locking key can not be found either now...

I'd be looking in glove box, arm rest or under spare wheel, most likely loose in the boot though...

The ever elusive, apparently just called "I acquire" form:

https://i.postimg.cc/CwNQSjyF/i-acquire.jpg

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Weird question,

I'm looking at buying a small van. There's a good few on Donedeal with company decals still on.

What's the legality of driving around with some company's info on the side.
    My thinking is they should remove it before sale, but not sure if that's the official answer.

Have seen this before. Sometimes the buyer sticks a load of duct tape over the sign so it's just a patch of shiny grey tape.. It's not a huge job to remove it, though, in fairness.

Use a heat gun or hairdryer to heat it up, pull at it, and pour petrol over it. Soak a sponge in petrol too, and squeeze it down behind it. Petrol will destroy the glue holding it on and it'll peel off fairly quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

ELM327 wrote: »
    535d/335d?

As I said earlier I don't really see the point of high powered 3.0 litre diesel cars as economy wise they are basically the same as an equivalent powered petrol. TBH is going the older BMW route I would probably just stick to a 320d/320i. Really only buying something as a run around until there is something I would like to own. So would rather buy something fairly easy to sell on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

You might struggle to get a f30 with reasonable mileage for around 10 grand but you might pick up a decent e90 for under 8k if not less. You'd defiantly pick up a nice F10 SE for within your budget if you were into them. Personally I'm not, only the M Sport are nice in them.

There's two ways of looking at all the above though imo.

1. You'll get to have a feeling for what it's like to own a BMW. You might like them or might not. So far I'm liking mine the majority of the time. I wouldn't be dead set on making sure the next car I buy is another one though. If I end up with another one then so be it.

2. If you do get one that's a few years old or has clocked up a few miles expect problems with it, they are not a trouble free car, the diesels anyways. Between chains, egrs, thermostats glow plug modules and dpfs etc they can be a pain in the bollocks.

And tbh CIP I and everyone else here knows how fussy and peculiar you are with cars (no offence) so maybe a BM is not for you.

It's unfortunate your not that mad on the GTi anymore, it's a beautiful one you have but as the others said if your not bothered with it move it on while it still holds good value.

You might struggle to get a f30 with reasonable mileage for around 10 grand but you might pick up a decent e90 for under 8k if not less. You'd defiantly pick up a nice F10 SE for within your budget if you were into them. Personally I'm not, only the M Sport are nice in them.

There's two ways of looking at all the above though imo.

1. You'll get to have a feeling for what it's like to own a BMW. You might like them or might not. So far I'm liking mine the majority of the time. I wouldn't be dead set on making sure the next car I buy is another one though. If I end up with another one then so be it.

2. If you do get one that's a few years old or has clocked up a few miles expect problems with it, they are not a trouble free car, the diesels anyways. Between chains, egrs, thermostats glow plug modules and dpfs etc they can be a pain in the bollocks.

And tbh CIP I and everyone else here knows how fussy and peculiar you are with cars (no offence) so maybe a BM is not for you.

It's unfortunate your not that mad on the GTi anymore, it's a beautiful one you have but as the others said if your not bothered with it move it on while it still holds good value.

Yes you made a few good points there. I would like to buy an F30 just to see what they are like. But as you said an older high mileage example is going to need work and give a certain level of trouble. So if I go with my head best thing to do would be buy something VAG 2.0TDI up the years as much as is possible and that should give me the best shot at reliability even if it won't be as nice to drive as an F30 etc.

I am generally quite fussy with cars but this is what it is I am not plowing in huge money so will have to accept some level of imperfection. In some way owning newer cars that never have any issues whatsoever can get boring. I always learned a lot through fault finding issues I had on cars. Still that doesn't mean I am going to buy something that was dogged and sprayed in 3 different places.

You never know might not be able to sell my Golf that will make the options a bit simpler then :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭firstlight

I'd be of the same mindset
    You can't have anything decent these days
    Always someone to mark scratch dent or Rob it
    Keep a 2 grand car and look after it
    Even at that I go mad finding marks on my A6
    It's a clean straight car for year
    But every mark that is on it is from some other clown who can't park or purposely just wrecks other people's stuff
    Sorry for the rant
    Does my nut in selfish pigs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

job seeker wrote: »
    The brother won a 87 twin cam on one of them raffle competitions on bookface..

Just a quick question. The log book of this yoke is still in someone else’s name who lives locally. So this person has reached out to the brother and this guy wants to sign off the log book. So that the car can be changed into the brothers name from his name.

Now a friend of my brothers is claiming this is some sort of scam. Doesn’t this sound normal to get the current owners name off the log book? Or am I missing something..

• Registered Users Posts: 51,141 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

This is the way it's done. Current registered owner fills in the name and address of the new owner, new owner signs it and current owner then posts it off to Shannon. To be extra safe check the seller's id matches the details on the existing logbook, you could always take a photo or photocopy of the completed log book too and then both just drop into the nearest post box.

bazz26 wrote: »
    This is the way it's done. Current registered owner fills in the name and address of the new owner, new owner signs it and current owner then posts it off to Shannon. To be extra safe check the seller's id matches the details on the existing logbook, you could always take a photo or photocopy of the completed log book too and then both just drop into the nearest post box.

That’s what I was thinking. My thoughts was that he wouldn’t want to be receiving fines in the post as it’s registered too him. Thanks for the reassurance! Appreciate it..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

It's a bit funny though not in scam way. Like did the raffle crowd buy the car off him and say to him when we raffle it we will give you the details of the person who won so you can contact them to change owner over.

It's a bit funny though not in scam way. Like did the raffle crowd buy the car off him and say to him when we raffle it we will give you the details of the person who won so you can contact them to change owner over.

That I’m not sure. The brother might have more information when he gets home. However my brother wasn’t told anything in regards to change of ownership etc the day he collected it.. he was given a couple of receipts for tyres, 2 nct certs and an Irish log book. There is an Irish tax and insurance disks from 2016 too. I thought it was abit odd as well..

To me it looks like the crowd that done the raffle just had it, bought it or whatever. Didn’t test it or anything. My guess would be, that whoever owned it up the north before the raffle just trailered it to shows etc. as there is no evidence of it being registered up the north.. but that’s just speculation.. Or it might have been just been in storage, as it’s very clean for 1987..

Why are you meeting that guy when you have the log book? Just fill it out and send it off.

Tbh he should have been in contact with the raffle crowd and not your brother as he must have sold it to them and how did he get in contact with your brother.

• Advertisement

That I’m not sure. The brother might have more information when he gets home. However my brother wasn’t told anything in regards to change of ownership etc the day he collected it.. he was given a couple of receipts for tyres, 2 nct certs and an Irish log book. There is an Irish tax and insurance disks from 2016 too. I thought it was abit odd as well..

To me it looks like the crowd that done the raffle just had it, bought it or whatever. Didn’t test it or anything. My guess would be, that whoever owned it up the north before the raffle just trailered it to shows etc. as there is no evidence of it being registered up the north.. but that’s just speculation.. Or it might have been just been in storage, as it’s very clean for 1987..

Why doesn't he send off the logbook or VLC himself with his details on it?

Why doesn't he send off the logbook or VLC himself with his details on it?

He is. He just needed to get the current owners signature. I myself never realised that it wasn’t in my brothers name until today.. :)

Why are you meeting that guy when you have the log book? Just fill it out and send it off.

Tbh he should have been in contact with the raffle crowd and not your brother as he must have sold it to them and how did he get in contact with your brother.

He just needed the chaps signature.

I see, he got in contact over Facebook. He lives locally to us..

He just needed the chaps signature.

I see, he got in contact over Facebook. He lives locally to us..

I thought the signature was on it ....... As in Write it on it

Anyone see the Honda Integra Type Rx in black that was for sale the past 3 day well seems it sold today. Strong money at €13950 and smokey at high RPM's so the ad said but it was pretty mint besides there was underbody shots as well and really clean underneath no rust well for a 2000 reg car just a small bit on a few bolts. 140,000kms Ad said price is firm so I don't know how much got knocked off price at sale.

Just seen my Dad has new wipers he bought in a manufacture. Hey we was the brand can’t say I have ever heard of them. Anyone ever use them before ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Anyone see the Honda Integra Type Rx in black that was for sale the past 3 day well seems it sold today. Strong money at €13950 and smokey at high RPM's so the ad said but it was pretty mint besides there was underbody shots as well and really clean underneath no rust well for a 2000 reg car just a small bit on a few bolts. 140,000kms Ad said price is firm so I don't know how much got knocked off price at sale.

There'd be little if anything at all off the price.

Certain Honda's are making serious money, a dc2 typeRx being one of them.

There'd be little if anything at all off the price.

Certain Honda's are making serious money, a dc2 typeRx being one of them.

It was a nice car but the smokey at high RPM's is a bit of a choker. Anyone know what would cause that, valve stem seals?

CIP4 wrote: »
    Just seen my Dad has new wipers he bought in a manufacture. Hey we was the brand can’t say I have ever heard of them. Anyone ever use them before ?

Chinese ditch finders ;-).... No I've never heard of hey we

Valeo were brilliant, Bosch seem to be the biggest now in moforfactors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭selectamatic

It was a nice car but the smokey at high RPM's is a bit of a choker. Anyone know what would cause that, valve stem seals?

Depends a bit of smoke isn't awful really valve stem seals or the rings would be the main culprits.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement