Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

whippet wrote: »
    It is what it is .. no leather, manual and not a great colour .. however I can see the appeal .. just because it’s original .. original toolkit, manuals, service history, first aid kit etc.

For the vast majority of people with 30 year old cars the engine isn’t the biggest draw unless it’s supposed to be a performance motor

Exactly the reason I'd like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,160 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That E34 is far from worthless. It might be a modest 518i but they are still sought after even as project cars. I don't think you would have any shortage of suitors if you decided to part with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,701 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

E34 525i was my introduction to BMW ownership in 2015, and what a car it was. Late registered 96 M sport, with full blue leather interior, everything from the carpet to the dash to the doorcards were blue and it was lovely! Tinworm got her, so I absolutely wrecked it nightly instead :p

bazz26 wrote: »
    That E34 is far from worthless. It might be a modest 518i but they are still sought after even as project cars. I don't think you would have any shortage of suitors if you decided to part with it.

I asked first!

Truckermal wrote: »
    Did you also see a Lexus IS in front of them?

I'm not sure if that's a joke that went over my head or not, but I didn't notice a Lexus in front.

• Advertisement

Also, has anyone managed to get in touch with the motor tax crowd? They won't answer phones (because of covid :rolleyes: ) and haven't replied to my email from a week ago at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I'm not sure if that's a joke that went over my head or not, but I didn't notice a Lexus in front.

Some fella on here had a Lexus and posted how a focus was driving real close to him and according to him they were doing it to check out his car because it was a Lexus and he thinks they never seen one before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭User1998

Also, has anyone managed to get in touch with the motor tax crowd? They won't answer phones (because of covid :rolleyes: ) and haven't replied to my email from a week ago at this stage.

They ignored my email too and its been about 3 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

That E34 has the makings of a great car underneath. Very rare to see one as original as that. Sorry to hear about the circumstances.

You'll have no trouble shifting it if that is ultimately what you decide to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Some fella on here had a Lexus and posted how a focus was driving real close to him and according to him they were doing it to check out his car because it was a Lexus and he thinks they never seen one before.

I thought they were trying to listen to his Mark Levinson???:pac:

Actually after having a ML system the Bose beats it hands down!

• Advertisement

Really? I had an 07 A3 with Bose years ago and herself had an 06 A3 with the standard system at the same time and there was shag all difference between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,407 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Fun fact. Mark Levinson was married to the actress that played Samantha in Sex and the City.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

When I was buying my GTI I had a test-loan of one over a weekend that had the upgraded Dynaudio sound system. I was not impressed, don't know if there was something wrong with the loan car I had, but thought the sound quality was a bit rubbish if I'm being blunt.

I ended up buying a car with the standard sound system and it's perfect; decent sound quality and to my ears, actually better than the Dynaudio system in the loan car.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,160 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The upgrade Harman Kardon loud speaker system in BMWs is fairly good when it works. My H K amp in the boot fried itself a few months back and I'm hopefully getting a second hand one fitted in the next month or two. BMW want €1500 + vat for a new one. Needs to be coded too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Really? I had an 07 A3 with Bose years ago and herself had an 06 A3 with the standard system at the same time and there was shag all difference between them.

Definitely have a A6 with Bose and it's fantastic, in saying that I had a GS 300 without the ML and that was brilliant too..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Bose can be very hit and miss I find.
    The Mazda has the Bose system in it and I've already had to replace the amp and two of the ****ty paper speakers.
    I'm actually contemplating getting some decent 2 Ohm speakers to replace them. Sound is also very bass heavy most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

I'd say it's hit and miss what car the system is in and how poor the base system is to make the premium a bigger step in quality.

BMW base systems I always found pretty poor.

I found the Mk7 Golf base system was grand, but never heard the Dyna audio or whatever it's called. Typically with this sort of stuff too people that spec it will swear by it, maybe because it's good or because they don't want to tell themselves they spent 2k on fancy speakers for their car that didn't make much difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Yeah, I don't drive the Alhambra too much but lately was thinking the sound was really really poor in it. Me thinking it was because I'm used to my own one. Turned out the fader and balance were set to just the driver speaker....

Considering I didn't cop only one speaker was only working for so long says alot.

Was grand then

• Registered Users Posts: 8,699 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Definitely have a A6 with Bose and it's fantastic, in saying that I had a GS 300 without the ML and that was brilliant too..

I've an Audi with Bang & Olfusen, I don't know if I'm just used to it but it doesn't sound like anything special to me

I've been in a load of different cars, and I find that citroen/peugeot seem to have much superior sound systems to other brands, from the factory by default (ie; not upgraded sound system or anything).

Moving from a Citroen to a Ford, in terms of audio quality, was a wake up call as to just how good the citroen was. Have always found peugeot/citroen to be fairly good in the audio department, for no obvious reason. And never really hear anyone mention it either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

My parents bought a B9 A4 2.0TDI 150 S-Tronic. I drove it during the week. I am not a fan of Automatics but the gearbox works well with that engine and makes it very quiet for a diesel as it is constantly at such low revs. Seems plenty quick enough for the type of car it is as the B9 is a lot lighter than the B8.

User1998 wrote: »
    They ignored my email too and its been about 3 weeks

Any word yet? It's fcuking ridiculus that they have just closed their customer service. Any out of the ordinary issue, and you can't get it dealt with :mad:

Not answering the phones due to covid. :rolleyes: Such a bunch of lazy bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

Any word yet? It's fcuking ridiculus that they have just closed their customer service. Any out of the ordinary issue, and you can't get it dealt with :mad:

Not answering the phones due to covid. :rolleyes: Such a bunch of lazy bastards.

Are the tax offices not back open can you not go there in person ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Did you get back to the guy who sold you the car and ask did he send it off yet?

Check on motortax website if there was any change in ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I had the Bose system in my RX8 and 6 MPS. Both sounded great. Same goes for the Harmon Kardon in my 330d.

I always use Prodigy's Breathe and Rammstein's Rein Raus to set up equalizers :D

Did you get back to the guy who sold you the car and ask did he send it off yet?

Check on motortax website if there was any change in ownership.

Said he sent it off, but presumably went missing and has been sketchy about it since. I rang the Gardai to ask is it stolen, they said no, it's grand. I asked yer man to apply for a replacement and he said no bother, but nothing since.

According to this (link and quote below) there's a form you can get that allows you to do the whole process yourself, and i can just skip over yer man and cut him out altogether, but the morons that work in the tax office decided to close up shop, and never thought to make such forms available to download :rolleyes:

I just want to get it over and done. I've been working so can't get to my local motor tax office, but i rang them a load of times and no one answers there, either. The seller clearly has no interest in pursuing it and it seems difficult to force him to. All I can think of is, as mentioned before here, take the car off my eflow account and take a trip across the m50. But surely he could just nominate me as the driver of the car for the journey, so im back to square one.

Firstly, you will not find the form you need on the internet nor on the motor tax or revenue site... So I ended up phoning the Department of Transport in Shannon... She told me that the form I needed to fill in was a “Declaration By Person Acquiring Motor Vehicle” and she would post it to me immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,407 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Best sound system I had in a car was the 10 speaker Dolby Pro Logic Surround sound in my old Volvo. I reckon it was a press car or something as it literally had every option ticked including a built in phone in the centre console, pop up nav etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

colm_mcm wrote: »

No. It's very similar but they won't accept that one.

In my case I was able to contact them by phone and speak to them but right now I'd imagine it's a case of send them an email with the relevant details, car reg, make model, date of purchase and ask for them to return the Statutory Declaration form.

I had meant to scan it and post it here when I had it but I forgot :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

bfy388dnryc51.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement