Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How stuck for news is 'De Leader'?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭topcat72

The Leader and the Post have covered this - as have national outlets - I think , in fairness, both have not been intrusive. There was huge concern with this death -and given how close knit Limerick is , my daughter old heard the name of the deceased in the school yard on Monday ( long before the name was made public, and not in a school the child attended). There was, and will be, much rumour and speculation about all cases like this. There is no more difficult case to report on sensitively than the violent death of a minor, so the Leader have stuck to reporting facts. Impossible job. Horrendous for the child, horrendous for the extended family, horrendous for the Gardai , ambulance staff, State Pathologist .
    There is no positive in this, all media can do is report it responsibly, which I think they have. If neighbours don't want to speak to the media, the don't have to. I wouldn't, personally. But the media have a job. If they do it responsibly, which they have as far as I can see, they cannot be accused of anything.
    I was struck by the amount of facebook comments attacking the papers for reporting a major case. Media named Brooklyn Colbert only when the Gardai named him, and only used photos openly available on other social media, from sports clubs and the like. Balanced enough i thought.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

There's a lot of **** going on here so I'm locking the thread to clean it up and decide what actions to take.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I've deleted a few posts but have decided against taking action against any poster, also, just because I decided to deleted a members post does not mean that the post needed actioning, it just means I was cleaning up the thread.

Reminder to all to keep it civil, attack the post not the poster, refrain from name calling and most importantly don't be a d!ck. If you have a problem with a post report it and 1 of the mod team will deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

My favourite line: "has amassed over 100 followers in just over two weeks"

To be honest it would be better if they'd left that part out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Embarrassing. What more can be said about the Leader at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Anything that highlights the level of **** driving around Limerick City Centre is a positive tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Today's nugget

"Celia got dolled up to the nines and headed out the back with her husband in tow"

You would want to be ina fairly bad way needing help on posture, walking and posing from Celia

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

They're desperate for content. 95fm are the same with the stories they're sharing online. The old adage of "Less is more" comes to mind, but then again the journalists need to generate something to keep them in their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I used to be quite a fan of the Leader but lately it seems like Nick Rabbitts and Áine Fitzgerald are the only two writing stories and a lot of them are pretty dire.

Nick’s relationships with certain councillors is also becoming more and more evident and his stories becoming more one sided by the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭phog

I don't know if there were ever going to be blacklisted but there were people who wanted to know what businesses were against the proposal.

It could well have been just nosiness or maybe a few people felt we'll teach them a lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

phog wrote: »
    I don't know if there were ever going to be blacklisted but there were people who wanted to know what businesses were against the proposal.

It could well have been just nosiness or maybe a few people felt we'll teach them a lesson.

I think it’s important to point out that none of the campaigners called for or are calling for a boycott. The limerick leader rang one of the campaigners asking for comment and they advised they are not calling for a boycott. The leader still ran with a story suggesting campaigners are behind it. It’s a new low tbh. It’s very disappointing that the leader are happy to play politics

People have every right to protest and if that includes boycotting businesses that were against the measures, so be it. Gleeson lost 2000 euro during the two hours? You'd have to question what else he is selling of a saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭sioda

Mc Love wrote: »
    People have every right to protest and if that includes boycotting businesses that were against the measures, so be it. Gleeson lost 2000 euro during the two hours? You'd have to question what else he is selling of a saturday

2000 compared to the same week last year no way he lost it against a Saturday recently

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

• Advertisement

That is in itself a bit of an unusual story. Why cut the tree down in the middle of the night?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 111 ✭✭Deadmou5e

Stopped reading this years ago. Compete waste of money, especially if your in the West and can just get the observer. A superior news publication

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

That is in itself a bit of an unusual story. Why cut the tree down in the middle of the night?

Cultural reasons of superstition maybe?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Some possibly good news. Eugene Phelan is retiring. He's to be replaced by Donn O'Sullivan. The Leader has really dropped it's (already low) standards drastically since Phelan took over. Hopefully a younger voice at the top will improve the product. https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/555595/donn-o-sullivan-to-take-up-managing-editor-role-at-limerick-leader.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭sioda

Great news like Donn as a writer so should hopefully improve their content

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

phog wrote: »

I wanted to know because I was beginning to think either someone made up the number opposing or the number was significantly less as many may have the same owner/management, so in reality it was X people/companies rather than 100 individual businesses.

The businesses supporting the campaign all went public with an open letter, I just didn't get the secrecy behind those opposed as its almost like they knew they would be supporting a detrimental decision to Limericks regeneration so didnt want their customers to know where they stood.

The article was sensationalist at best, people are allowed to vote with their feet. There's nothing sinister about deciding to get your lunch/meat/coffee elsewhere.

Honestly I've lost track of the number of times he's in the Leader. You'd swear he owned the city with the amount of coverage he gets. Must be good mates with the Leader staff.
    I used to be quite a fan of the Leader but lately it seems like Nick Rabbitts and Áine Fitzgerald are the only two writing stories and a lot of them are pretty dire.

Please no criticism of the heavenly and very beautiful Áine thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭The_Dave

Honestly I've lost track of the number of times he's in the Leader. You'd swear he owned the city with the amount of coverage he gets. Must be good mates with the Leader staff.
    I'm not saying this is the reason, but the Leader office is literally a stone throw away, so I'm guessing they'd frequent his shop regularly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

• Advertisement

I was baffled by this one:

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/560310/we-very-seldom-dive-into-the-female-characters-admits-cursed-star-katherine-langford.html

There has to be a Limerick link yeah? I just can't find it though!

Advertisement