Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How stuck for news is 'De Leader'?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

They probably can't fund investigative journalism anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

It's an awful rag.

Half their stories come from this messageboard sure!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Vanquished

They've started posting "recent deaths in Limerick" on the homepage now also!

This seems to have coincided with the new Editor taking the reins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Vanquished wrote: »
    They've started posting "recent deaths in Limerick" on the homepage now also!

If we know nothing from Live 95FM (which we don't) it's that people of Limerick love reading and listening about deaths!

I opened the Limerick Leader this morning and on second page saw some story about a goat in Moyross and a new book by Paul O'Connell (because he never gets a mention in Limerick media :rolleyes: ). Didn't bother reading any more. It's completely irrelevant news with such poor quality journalism.

I had high hopes for Limerick Life paper which is the best of a very bad bunch at the moment. It's a pity that all the columnists they have commissioned are middle-aged men. It would be great to see more diverse voices shaping media discourse in limerick.

Don't worry folks. There's always Fusion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

It's not the post anyway - what are people expecting from a local newspaper, it's the same in every city/town/county

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

That paper is appalling and has been for a long time. Really piss poor journalism. Limerick is truly underserved when it comes to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

I thought it had improved under Alan English buts it a complete joke shop now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

The Leader, The Post and Live95fm encapsulate all that is wrong with the media in Limerick.

Zero journalism, zero hard hitting questions or analysis.

What you get is PR releases, cliche laden drivel masquerading as news, regular aspirational pie in the sky updates about projects that will never happen, death notices, ego platforms for big fish small pond types (Richard Lynch, Celia Holman Lee) and ads for businesses.

Oh and out and about mugshots.

I wouldn't wipe my arse with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,162 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They are good for lighting the fire though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

They had a story about a young lad (criminal history) who was killed in a car crash.

If anyone read it, what was the actual point of this? They effectively made three points over a couple of articles and nothing more, and I'm not selling them short by summarising it here.l:

Man killed in car crash. Known to Gardai. Funeral went out.

That was it. No analysis, no comment, no relevance.

What the flying f#ck was the point of that? What or whom was served by this? Really piss poor.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Exeggcute wrote: »
    The Leader, The Post and Live95fm encapsulate all that is wrong with the media in Limerick.

Zero journalism, zero hard hitting questions or analysis.

What you get is PR releases, cliche laden drivel masquerading as news, regular aspirational pie in the sky updates about projects that will never happen, death notices, ego platforms for big fish small pond types (Richard Lynch, Celia Holman Lee) and ads for businesses.

Oh and out and about mugshots.

I wouldn't wipe my arse with them.

Please point out a local paper anywhere in the country that does anything different.

Limerick isn't exactly big. There aren't that many juicy stories. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

It's just been mentioned on Newstalk as well. UL obviously want the news out there and have asked media to circulate it.

But I suppose when you have an agenda.....

It's just been mentioned on Newstalk as well. UL obviously want the news out there and have asked media to circulate it.

But I suppose when you have an agenda.....

If you are implying I have an agenda against the Leader, you are incorrect. I do however think they are now printing stories that wouldn't make into a church newsletter never mind the Mid West's apparent paper of record.

If you are implying that De Leader has an agenda against UL that would in my opinion be correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Its such a biased paper - very slanted in the Catholic churches favour.

If you are implying I have an agenda against the Leader, you are incorrect. I do however think they are now printing stories that wouldn't make into a church newsletter never mind the Mid West's apparent paper of record.

If you are implying that De Leader has an agenda against UL that would in my opinion be correct.

I've also heard the story on Newstalk and Spin SW today. Do they have an agenda against UL as well?

• Advertisement

I've also heard the story on Newstalk and Spin SW today. Do they have an agenda against UL as well?

To be fair, those radio stations tend to trawl the local rags for their stories.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Are they not all under the Independent Media umbrella?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Parchment wrote: »
    Its such a biased paper - very slanted in the Catholic churches favour.

This has become blatantly obvious since the new editor Eugene Phelan took over. There's been a steady stream of completely tenuous, non-stories regarding the Catholic religion in recent times. A report on an "apparition" on the wall of a house in Kilmallock made the front page of the county edition last week!:o

It's cringe worthy stuff in this day and age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Vanquished wrote: »
    This has become blatantly obvious since the new editor Eugene Phelan took over. There's been a steady stream of completely tenuous, non-stories regarding the Catholic religion in recent times. A report on an "apparition" on the wall of a house in Kilmallock made the front page of the county edition last week!:o

+1.

I presume today's front page is commentary on the UL STD outbreak by the UL parish priest, followed by an editorial by Eugene Phelan on how the "apparition" in Croom (which was live tweeted by his assistant editor :rolleyes:) was a prediction of this sexual wantonness. Eugene Phelan is taking the paper in a very worrying direction imo. He doesn't seem to realise that the majority of people haven't given a flying f&*k what the RC church has to say since the 1980's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

panda100 wrote: »
    +1.

I presume today's front page is commentary on the UL STD outbreak by the UL parish priest, followed by an editorial by Eugene Phelan on how the "apparition" in Croom (which was live tweeted by his assistant editor :rolleyes:) was a prediction of this sexual wantonness. Eugene Phelan is taking the paper in a very worrying direction imo. He doesn't seem to realise that the majority of people haven't given a flying f&*k what the RC church has to say since the 1980's.

Its such a rag - I wouldn't wipe my dogs ar*e with it!

An agenda against UL. Jesus wept....

seachto7 wrote: »
    An agenda against UL. Jesus wept....

Well, one could be forgiven for thinking there's an acrimonious relationship between senior people in the Leader and in the University following that story about the misappropriation of expenses in UL and the fall out, war of words, legal case, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

They offer a comments section on most stories online but once you post a comment it is rarely posted. Any comments which are anti local politicians will never be posted. 
    Willie O'Dea gave an interview about homelessness, i commented that his party at local level along with Fine Gale raised the LTP in Limerick for 2017. We have the highest LPT in the country next year as a result of his party yet he has the cheek to give out about homelessness.
    Of course De Leader didn't post my comment.
    What is the point of a comments section if they are not willing to open it up.

• Advertisement

They offer a comments section on most stories online but once you post a comment it is rarely posted. Any comments which are anti local politicians will never be posted. Willie O'Dea gave an interview about homelessness, i commented that his party at local level along with Fine Gale raised the LTP in Limerick for 2017. We have the highest LPT in the country next year as a result of his party yet he has the cheek to give out about homelessness. Of course De Leader didn't post my comment. What is the point of a comments section if they are not willing to open it up.

Is there a link between local property tax and homelessness?

Advertisement