Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Grnsj

clohamon wrote: »
    Someone took the trouble to complain to the European Investment Bank alleging maladministration by the Bank and asserting that the NBP was a waste of taxpayers' money.

They replied....

There is a large amount of headbangers on Twitter. Self-professed experts in multiple fields.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Eamon Ryan (Dublin Bay South, Green Party)

My Department is currently engaging with NBI to explore the feasibility of accelerating aspects of the NBP roll-out and to bring premises which are scheduled for connection in years 6 and 7 of the current plan forward to an earlier date. These discussions are ongoing and a preliminary position will be arrived at by the end of the summer. It is premature at this point to speculate on what premises may benefit from this potential change, other than to say that those premises currently scheduled for the latter end of the roll-out are the focus of the analysis.

Like so many other projects the national broadband plan has been delayed slightly by the Covid-19 pandemic due to the difficulty of completing certain work but it has not been delayed as much as other projects. A lot of the work of recent months, such as surveying poles to see which ones need to be improved or upgraded, could continue. By the end of this year we expect to be pretty much on target in terms of delivery timelines.

I note another factor that may help accelerate progress. We started this project in a world where it was very hard to get construction workers. There were so many different demands and construction activities taking place. Post Covid-19 it may be a possible to access workers and contractors more quickly than was the case six months ago when the economy was at full tilt.

Moreover, hopefully there is a benefit for everyone in this. Acceleration might be helped by increased confidence that the uptake of these services will be on the higher end of our expectations, because we are seeing the benefits of remote working and the use of high-speed broadband in a way we would not have expected six months ago. I hope that might help us to accelerate the process to the benefit of all concerned.

https://www.kildarestreet.com/debates/?id=2020-07-15a.71&s=national+broadband+plan#g79

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Good man Eamon, get bricklayers, carpenter s and plumbers to roll out a fibre network.

Once again showing how clueless he is on his breif, thank Christ he wasn't in charge of the nbp tender process

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

Like so many other projects the national broadband plan has been delayed slightly by the Covid-19 pandemic

And in no way delayed and fought against by him personally and the Taoiseach's party of course!

I honestly think a cure for cancer would be given the same treatment in Ireland. Nothing good can be done under 'them', it has to be under 'us'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Orebro

Someone took the trouble to complain to the European Investment Bank alleging maladministration by the Bank and asserting that the NBP was a waste of taxpayers' money.

They replied....

Another Elon-bot - these clowns advocating Starlink like its the solution to all our broadband worries, without having a single detail on how the thing might actually work.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭rounders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭heavydawson

We had the NBI lads at our door the day before yesterday in Tipperary. They were doing a straightforward "Duct or pole?" survey for each house. They couldn't open the duct cover on the roadside because it was locked which was a bit surprising. You'd assume it would speed things up greatly if they could check things instead of hoping the house owner knew and expecting them to be home during the day. Thankfully (kind of), covid is guaranteeing that they have more people answering their house calls during business hours. Still pinching myself that this whole thing is happening, 7 years after moving down from Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

We had the NBI lads at our door the day before yesterday in Tipperary. They were doing a straightforward "Duct or pole?" survey for each house. They couldn't open the duct cover on the roadside because it was locked which was a bit surprising. You'd assume it would speed things up greatly if they could check things instead of hoping the house owner knew and expecting them to be home during the day. Thankfully (kind of), covid is guaranteeing that they have more people answering their house calls during business hours. Still pinching myself that this whole thing is happening, 7 years after moving down from Dublin.

Check what things ? They may have looked and then decided to ask you was it locked and was it you. Many homeowners make modifications.

So them knocking on your door sounds like they were doing it properly.no ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭clohamon

SBP reporting David McCourt claim that NBP rollout could be reduced to four years.

https://www.businesspost.ie/telecoms/mccourt-claims-national-broadband-plan-could-be-rolled-out-in-four-years-dbabacf2?utm_campaign=article&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=web

Maybe someone who has an SBP account could fill in the details, if there are any.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Check what things ? They may have looked and then decided to ask you was it locked and was it you. Many homeowners make modifications.

So them knocking on your door sounds like they were doing it properly.no ?

Eircom have a manhole on the road right outside our gate. Our duct comes straight off that. The NBI guys couldn't open the Eircom grate to see if we had a duct, so they buzzed our intercom to see what the story was. I'd assume where it's obviously coming in from a pole they're not asking homeowners, but if they can't see a pole and corresponding overhead wire, they're knocking on doors to find out where, if any, the connection is coming into the house.

SBP reporting David McCourt claim that NBP rollout could be reduced to four years.

https://www.businesspost.ie/telecoms/mccourt-claims-national-broadband-plan-could-be-rolled-out-in-four-years-dbabacf2?utm_campaign=article&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=web

Maybe someone who has an SBP account could fill in the details, if there are any.

The National Broadband Plan could be rolled out in just over four years, rather than seven as originally planned, David McCourt has claimed.

The US businessman controls National Broadband Ireland (NBI), the company which was awarded the controversial multibillion-euro state contract to provide high-speed broadband to more than 540,000 homes within seven years.

The Business Post revealed earlier this month that NBI had told operators that it believed it could “significantly” speed up the rollout of the broadband network.

In a new interview with Capacity, a telecoms magazine, McCourt has now said his company was “working on a plan to speed up the build and build it in 60 per cent of the time we first planned”.

This would suggest a build time of a little over four years, rather than the seven-year timeframe that NBI has said it is working to.

Asked how NBI could reduce the build time by 40 per cent and whether additional staff would be required to do so, a spokeswoman for the company said: “NBI remain committed to rolling out the National Broadband Plan ahead of time, and our regular discussions with the Department of Communications include exploring how that might be expedited.”

It is unclear how an expedited rollout would affect the taxpayer-funded subsidy that the state would be required to provide to NBI for completing the project three years ahead of schedule. The NBI spokeswoman declined to comment on the potential cost implications for the state.

Richard Bruton, the former communications minister, said in May that he believed NBI could reduce the National Broadband Plan rollout period from seven years to five.

Bruton told the Dáil that he had asked his officials “to investigate the feasibility of accelerating the rollout of the National Broadband Plan so that those [premises] now in years six and seven can be brought forward”.

There are around 192,000 premises which are not due to be connected to high-speed broadband until the final two years of the plan.

Joe Lavin, the chief commercial officer at NBI, recently told operators the company was on track to pass a minimum of 115,000 premises with the network by the end of 2021.

Once the network had been completed in the initial deployment areas, NBI would review the build of the network to find efficiencies and identify opportunities to “go faster”.

“That's probably not going to have a massive impact on our 2021 number but it will have a significant impact on 2022/23/24,” he said.

Desperate lockdown journalism.......

From a June 30th article.

How long will it all take? “We’re working on a plan to speed up the build, and build it in 60% of the time we first planned.”

https://www.capacitymedia.com/articles/3825832/when-irish-fibres-smiling

And, I love this too......

In Ireland, “it’s all been done without any political nonsense”, he smiles on a video call from California.

KOR101 wrote: »
    Desperate lockdown journalism.......

From a June 30th article.

How long will it all take? “We’re working on a plan to speed up the build, and build it in 60% of the time we first planned.”

https://www.capacitymedia.com/articles/3825832/when-irish-fibres-smiling

And, I love this too......

In Ireland, “it’s all been done without any political nonsense”, he smiles on a video call from California.

The only takeaway that was new to me but probably not ask that surprising was:

"NBI’s customers will be the retail telecoms companies across the Republic of Ireland — mainly Comcast’s Sky, Liberty Global’s Virgin Media and UK-based Vodafone. What about Eir, the incumbent? Later, a representative of NBI updates me: “I can confirm NBI is engaged with Eir and it is anticipated that they will join … the NBI network."

Have any of you asked your WISP if they will be providers on the NBI infrastructure? I asked mine and they said they hadn't made a decision on it yet. They were part of the consortium objecting to the NBP, fwiw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

Pique wrote: »
    Have any of you asked your WISP if they will be providers on the NBI infrastructure? I asked mine and they said they hadn't made a decision on it yet. They were part of the consortium objecting to the NBP, fwiw.

Cant see why they wont once its here. The only reason they all objected is that they will loose the fixed wireless sign ups that they currently have.

Once FTTH is here instead of only having the option of fixed wireless for 55 euro a month with lightnet, I will have multiple options.

It's actually a joke they objected In the first place.

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

Have any of you asked your WISP if they will be providers on the NBI infrastructure?

We've been engaging with NBI from an early stage, and we're planning to offer services.

joe123 wrote: »
    The only reason they all objected is that they will lose the fixed wireless sign ups that they currently have their monopoly.
    FTFY
    We've been engaging with NBI from an early stage, and we're planning to offer services.
    Good to hear. I'm not a customer btw.

I hope all regional WISPs do the same. Personally I would prefer to support a regional NBI-based ISP over the multinationals like Virgin/Vodafone/Sky and keep some employment in the area I live.

Yes, even if it costs extra per month. We can't bang on about rural Ireland dying if we don't support local suppliers, be that broadband or whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭shanec1928

parts of sligo being surveyed now for NBI, entegro are the contractors

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭St. Westy

shanec1928 wrote: »
    parts of sligo being surveyed now for NBI, entegro are the contractors

do you know which areas?

shanec1928 wrote: »

of course south sligo gets overlooked :rolleyes::pac: typical, everything goes towards the town :cool: at least they are in the county

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

St. Westy wrote: »
    of course south sligo gets overlooked :rolleyes::pac: typical, everything goes towards the town :cool: at least they are in the county

Still no activity in Donegal at all, give them dodgy directions and send a few up here will yas? :P

Still no activity in Donegal at all, give them dodgy directions and send a few up here will yas? :P

slowly coming along the west , i see they were in mayo last week, but going by the way they are going, it will be surrounding suburbs of letterkenny that gets action, they seem to only concentrate around the counties 'capital' eg. castlebar and sligo town :rolleyes::p

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

slowly coming along the west , i see they were in mayo last week, but going by the way they are going, it will be surrounding suburbs of letterkenny that gets action, they seem to only concentrate around the counties 'capital' eg. castlebar and sligo town :rolleyes::p

The network will be built out from Castlebar, Letterkenny etc. It makes perfect sense to survey outwards as well.

• Advertisement

oscarBravo wrote: »
    The network will be built out from Castlebar, Letterkenny etc. It makes perfect sense to survey outwards as well.

I know it will be built out , but please tell me your opinion on why it makes sense ?

I know it will be built out , but please tell me your opinion on why it makes sense ?
    as thats where the core infrastructure will be

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

You build from where there is infrastructure to where there isn't infrastructure. It's the same reason you build the walls of a house before you build the roof.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    You build from where there is infrastructure to where there isn't infrastructure. It's the same reason you build the walls of a house before you build the roof.

no need for the smart answer goodman :cool: i was asking for your opinion, plenty of infrastructure out here considering eir, virgin and vodafone is 300 metres from me, there is hubs where all the eir rollout covered, so infrastructure isnt an issue in my opinion ;)

no need for the smart answer goodman :cool: i was asking for your opinion, plenty of infrastructure out here considering eir, virgin and vodafone is 300 metres from me, there is hubs where all the eir rollout covered, so infrastructure isnt an issue in my opinion ;)
    :pac:

• Advertisement

The NBP isn't tagging onto the end of existing Eir lines. The NBP has no existing infrastructure. They're running a full new line from the main network hubs out alongside Eir lines and continuing past where they stop to get to people like you and me and everyone else on this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

On the wind up or .. ??? :confused: :eek:

Eir stands to lose out on at least €125 million in revenues from the National Broadband Plan, and potentially much more, if ComReg proceeds with plans to cut wholesale rates for fixed-line telecommunications.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/eir-risks-losing-at-least-125m-in-broadband-scheme-revenues-1.4309656

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭scunermac

KOR101 wrote: »
    Eir stands to lose out on at least €125 million in revenues from the National Broadband Plan, and potentially much more, if ComReg proceeds with plans to cut wholesale rates for fixed-line telecommunications.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/eir-risks-losing-at-least-125m-in-broadband-scheme-revenues-1.4309656

Cry me a river...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Seen the NBI vans out on the Castlebar to Newport road on Friday morning, about 4 miles outside Castlebar. Road was too busy for me to pull up and ask any questions but it's the first sign of any movement out this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

So are they going to an exchange doing one road off that and then moving on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭naughto

corsav6 wrote: »
    Seen the NBI vans out on the Castlebar to Newport road on Friday morning, about 4 miles outside Castlebar. Road was too busy for me to pull up and ask any questions but it's the first sign of any movement out this way.

They where there this morning aswell just up from sweenys /archers hardware shop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Sorry haven't followed much in the last few months but are those not in an intervention area but getting less than 30mb still in limbo?

guil wrote: »
    Sorry haven't followed much in the last few months but are those not in an intervention area but getting less than 30mb still in limbo?

Friend of mine recently had this. He just followed the instructions on the nbi website where you get confirmation from providers he couldnt get more than XMb. He then emailed the government address called out on the nbi website. They got back to him to confirm they would take it from there and was it ok to use his data or something.

Fyi he was marked as being able to get FTTH but couldnt get more than 7Mb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

joe123 wrote: »
    Friend of mine recently had this. He just followed the instructions on the nbi website where you get confirmation from providers he couldnt get more than XMb. He then emailed the government address called out on the nbi website. They got back to him to confirm they would take it from there and was it ok to use his data or something.

Fyi he was marked as being able to get FTTH but couldnt get more than 7Mb.

Thanks, I've sent them an email.

• Advertisement

naughto wrote: »
    They where there this morning aswell just up from sweenys /archers hardware shop

Getting closer to Castlebar so, I was hoping I'd see them a few miles in the other direction.
    On 6mb fixed wireless now and while it's solid it's just a bit too slow for a family.

corsav6 wrote: »
    Getting closer to Castlebar so, I was hoping I'd see them a few miles in the other direction.
    On 6mb fixed wireless now and while it's solid it's just a bit too slow for a family.

It looked to me that they where heading away from castlebar going out the Newport road could be wrong though

naughto wrote: »
    It looked to me that they where heading away from castlebar going out the Newport road could be wrong though

Hopefully. They were about 1 mile the Newport side of the Belmullet turnoff when I seen them so unless their covering a longer stretch of road.
    Sir fibre stops 1km from our house coming from Newport which is annoying, especially since they've gone up side roads with only 2 houses which I know won't avail of broadband anyway.

This was on there Facebook page
    Surveying has started in Co Mayo in the following townlands of Shanvoley, Derryhick, Kilhale, Tawnylaheen, Turlough, Ballyvary, Keeloges, Castlebar Town, Rinnaseer, Bellaburke, Killawullaun Mountain, Carn, Carnacon, Ballyglass, Belcarra, Balla, Manulla, and Ringarraun. With over 47,000 surveys completed we are committed to building, delivering and operating a superb broadband infrastructure that will benefit over 1.1m people in rural Ireland.
    #NBI #NationalBroadbandPlan #BuildingALimitlessIreland
    Mayo.ie

How many counties have they surveyed/surveying in now?

It's looking like phase 1 is all counties to be surveyed to within a certain radius of that counties "capital" / main hub?

I didn't see them do it myself but my neighbour's son spotted them tagging a few poles in my road. I took a look and sure enough, there are 3 poles, all ivy covered and one with a very slight lean, that have been tagged with a red 'D' on a white background. Presumably they are for replacement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭padraig.od

I didn't see them do it myself but my neighbour's son spotted them tagging a few poles in my road. I took a look and sure enough, there are 3 poles, all ivy covered and one with a very slight lean, that have been tagged with a red 'D' on a white background. Presumably they are for replacement?

Hate to break it to you but there has been a red D on the pole outside my place for 4 years now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭BandMember

Have they decided on what counties will be rolled out/connected first and in what order they will be done? Or even when the first rollouts/connections will start taking place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,641 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

padraig.od wrote: »
    Hate to break it to you but there has been a red D on the pole outside my place for 4 years now...

Here in my area when they were rolling out the 300k fibre some defective "D" poles weren't replaced for many months, maybe up to 12 months, after fibre had been rolled out on them. All defective poles were replaced at the time, both in the 300k area and the NBP intervention area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭clohamon

BandMember wrote: »
    Have they decided on what counties will be rolled out/connected first and in what order they will be done? Or even when the first rollouts/connections will start taking place?

I've seen surveying announcements about townlands from the counties below. There's been some hints that the connection schedule will follow the same order as the surveys. The first announcement seems to date from 13th August of last year in Kerry and there seemed to be a commitment to connection of homes by Autumn 2020, but there doesn't seem to have been any mention of those areas since, except for Ballyhar

carlow
    cavan
    cork
    galway
    kerry
    kildare
    kilkenny
    laois
    limerick
    longford
    louth
    mayo
    monaghan
    roscommon
    sligo
    tipperary
    waterford
    westmeath
    wexford

Update:

And from the Dáil on Wednesday there is an indication that the longterm schedule is already known down to premises level.
    my Department continues to engage with NBI to explore the feasibility of accelerating aspects of this rollout to establish the possibility of bringing forward premises which are currently scheduled in years 6 and 7 of the current plan to an earlier date.

Advertisement