Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭mp3guy

listermint wrote: »
    Interested in how you rated starlink so highly when it's entirely uncongested right now but you've put it all the way up the list based on what exactly..

I agree, beta technology that pretty much no one has experience of broadly, even more so in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Starlink over terrestrial LTE? Farcical.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ED E wrote: »
    Starlink over terrestrial LTE? Farcical.

If you are sitting next to a 4G tower, obviously that would be better (assuming it is fiber backhauled). But if your only close tower is in the next valley over and you get no signal, that obviously it would be useless.

Obviously Starlink has yet to prove itself, but if it can achieve half decent performance, then it certainly would fill the significant gaps in 4g coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Regarding snake oil products. Imagine are now in my area (Borrisoleigh) have posters up claiming super fast broadband and I have witnessed them connecting 8 houses between Borrisoleigh and Bouladuff (The Ragg) within 2 days. Note all properties with fibre and distribution points outside.

A salesperson visited my brother in law and told him the NBP was cancelled! My brother in law has eircom FTTH and when told about this, he then claimed imagine is future proof, fibre obsolete and the speeds are faked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Orebro

Regarding snake oil products. Imagine are now in my area (Borrisoleigh) have posters up claiming super fast broadband and I have witnessed them connecting 8 houses between Borrisoleigh and Bouladuff (The Ragg) within 2 days. Note all properties with fibre and distribution points outside.

A salesperson visited my brother in law and told him the NBP was cancelled! My brother in law has eircom FTTH and when told about this, he then claimed imagine is future proof, fibre obsolete and the speeds are faked.

Two areas close to me are FTTH enabled with Eir and Imagine posters right outside some of the houses! They'll learn in time I guess. Theres someone trying to screw you in every industry it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭clohamon

No map yet, but apparently NBI will respond privately to queries that include an eircode.

https://twitter.com/NatBroadbandIrl/status/1295291459785183232

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Dero

They always respond to queries with a request for an Eircode, then come back with a generic boilerplate answer with no specifics at all. Maybe that's going to change, but my experience is that giving them an Eircode is pointless. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

What companies are being used for the surveys does anyone know?

Had a worker outside my house at one of the Eir poles, but by the time I got out to him to ask, he was gone. Didn't get a good look at the logo on his back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

clohamon wrote: »
    No map yet, but apparently NBI will respond privately to queries that include an eircode.

Yeah this is a waste of time pretty much. I was told my area was surveyed, my neighbour was told the opposite.

Speaking with them after that, they seem to just check the NBI website on your behalf and give you a generic answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭user1842

Wing126 wrote: »
    What companies are being used for the surveys does anyone know?

Had a worker outside my house at one of the Eir poles, but by the time I got out to him to ask, he was gone. Didn't get a good look at the logo on his back.

entegro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,522 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

What companies are being used for the surveys does anyone know?.

4Site, Actavo and Entegro

user1842 wrote: »
    entegro
    The Cush wrote: »
    4Site, Actavo and Entegro

Okay, none of those logo's look familiar. Definitely didn't see any signs on the road indicating the survey was taking place anyway, so not sure what was happening then!

• Registered Users Posts: 54,017 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I saw KN Networks working in Cashel town co Tipperary on behalf of Enet

Messaged them yesterday and was told surveying will begin in Dunboyne and other Meath townlands in 4 weeks, for anybody else in those areas.

Although, they couldn't give me any kind of time frame for delivery after survey though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

I think it's unrealistic to think they will spell out rough dates for all properties. The downside of telling some people they are in years 5, 6, 7 are too great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭clohamon

KOR101 wrote: »
    I think it's unrealistic to think they will spell out rough dates for all properties. The downside of telling some people they are in years 5, 6, 7 are too great.

Yes, that's probably DCCAE/NBI's view. Nonetheless, they said they'd publish a map. It seems they've changed their mind and can't tell us why they've changed their mind. (though it's not too hard to guess)

Yes, that's probably DCCAE/NBI's view. Nonetheless, they said they'd publish a map. It seems they've changed their mind and can't tell us why they've changed their mind. (though it's not too hard to guess)

They stated they would give proper quarterly updates which would mean something this month. Hopefully that still happens. Even if its a "phase 1 end date expected by X date. Phase 2 surveying to begin X date.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I'd rather know I am looking at 2025 for rollout/survey/whatever rather than being kept in the dark. Stick an * beside the 2025 with fine print stating subject to change. Fair enough, at least I know I'm not anytime soon on the rollout plan.

I guess my overall worry is that Ryan or some other flutes will cause unnecessary delays or even worse, termination of the contract and we will only get so far with the rollout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

joe123 wrote: »
    They stated they would give proper quarterly updates which would mean something this month. Hopefully that still happens. Even if its a "phase 1 end date expected by X date. Phase 2 surveying to begin X date.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I'd rather know I am looking at 2025 for rollout/survey/whatever rather than being kept in the dark. Stick an * beside the 2025 with fine print stating subject to change. Fair enough, at least I know I'm not anytime soon on the rollout plan.

I guess my overall worry is that Ryan or some other flutes will cause unnecessary delays or even worse, termination of the contract and we will only get so far with the rollout.

I think contract termination would be shooting themselves in the foot no matter how you look at it. The optics on this were _good_ with respect to rural ireland finally getting some equality in the area of connectivity, but the whole covid/work-from-home angle has made the rollout (and indeed fast-tracking) of the project a win-win. We can argue about the cost of the project all day long, but even Ryan cannot deny the ever-increasing, frankly astonishing amount of data scientists find they can push through fibre:
    https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/08/london-uk-team-achieves-record-178tbps-single-fibre-speed.html

• Registered Users Posts: 33,842 ✭✭✭✭listermint

There's no chance of Ryan or any other politician shutting this down now. None.

Far too much riding on ensuring that county wide we are open for business.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

Spotted KN engineers laying cable along Carnmore near Galway, all up a road that's classified as an NBI location

• Advertisement

Do Fixed Wireless companies impact those who are included in the NBI plan? If someone could get 40Mb on fixed wireless, would that rule them out or do the only base it off fixed line speeds?

Do Fixed Wireless companies impact those who are included in the NBI plan? If someone could get 40Mb on fixed wireless, would that rule them out or do the only base it off fixed line speeds?

I currently get 50Mbps FWA and I'm still in the intervention area. I don't know what the exact criteria for inclusion/exclusion are TBH

I currently get 50Mbps FWA and I'm still in the intervention area. I don't know what the exact criteria for inclusion/exclusion are TBH
    Based on the Comreg docs, it appears it's all based on current or future planned access to "NGA" networks
    ―Next Generation Access‖ or ―NGA‖ means wired access networks which consist
    wholly or in part of optical elements and which are capable of delivering broadband
    access services with enhanced characteristics (such as higher throughput) as
    compared to those provided over already existing exclusively copper access
    networks;

So:
    1. Wired
    2. Wholly or partly optically based

TheSegal wrote: »
    Spotted KN engineers laying cable along Carnmore near Galway, all up a road that's classified as an NBI location

Same happening in Ballina, Mayo. KN (on behalf of OpenEir) are clearing and adding ducking in the same area as NBI are surveying. KN van and digger parked within 20 meters of the NBI van. Let's see how many more houses OpenEir will take from the intervention area.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭rounders

user1842 wrote: »
    Same happening in Ballina, Mayo. KN (on behalf of OpenEir) are clearing and adding ducking in the same area as NBI are surveying. KN van and digger parked within 20 meters of the NBI van. Let's see how many more houses OpenEir will take from the intervention area.

I would imagine it is just a case of Eir improving the infrastructure that is being used by NBI which is required on request from NBI.

The chance for Eir to request more properties be excluded from the intervention area has passed

rounders wrote: »
    I would imagine it is just a case of Eir improving the infrastructure that is being used by NBI which is required on request from NBI.

The chance for Eir to request more properties be excluded from the intervention area has passed

I don't think that is the case as I asked the NBI guy who said OpenEir will be covering some of the area (these houses are in the intervention area). Also why would OpenEir bring a new duct within 10m of a house and leave it to NBI to connect it.

Anybody know roughly how long it could be from surveying to service delivery?

Turns out the lads who were out my way on Monday were NBI after all despite them saying they won't be surveying for another couple weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Anybody know roughly how long it could be from surveying to service delivery?

Turns out the lads who were out my way on Monday were NBI after all despite them saying they won't be surveying for another couple weeks.

As it hasn't really started nobody knows

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

So is this all this in the surveying stage or has something started yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭rounders

So is this all this in the surveying stage or has something started yet?

First connections to happen this month in Carrigaline in Cork

Advertisement