Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭shanec1928

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭St. Westy

shanec1928 wrote: »

of course south sligo gets overlooked :rolleyes::pac: typical, everything goes towards the town :cool: at least they are in the county

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

St. Westy wrote: »
    of course south sligo gets overlooked :rolleyes::pac: typical, everything goes towards the town :cool: at least they are in the county

Still no activity in Donegal at all, give them dodgy directions and send a few up here will yas? :P

Still no activity in Donegal at all, give them dodgy directions and send a few up here will yas? :P

slowly coming along the west , i see they were in mayo last week, but going by the way they are going, it will be surrounding suburbs of letterkenny that gets action, they seem to only concentrate around the counties 'capital' eg. castlebar and sligo town :rolleyes::p

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

slowly coming along the west , i see they were in mayo last week, but going by the way they are going, it will be surrounding suburbs of letterkenny that gets action, they seem to only concentrate around the counties 'capital' eg. castlebar and sligo town :rolleyes::p

The network will be built out from Castlebar, Letterkenny etc. It makes perfect sense to survey outwards as well.

• Advertisement

oscarBravo wrote: »
    The network will be built out from Castlebar, Letterkenny etc. It makes perfect sense to survey outwards as well.

I know it will be built out , but please tell me your opinion on why it makes sense ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭shanec1928

I know it will be built out , but please tell me your opinion on why it makes sense ?
    as thats where the core infrastructure will be

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

You build from where there is infrastructure to where there isn't infrastructure. It's the same reason you build the walls of a house before you build the roof.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    You build from where there is infrastructure to where there isn't infrastructure. It's the same reason you build the walls of a house before you build the roof.

no need for the smart answer goodman :cool: i was asking for your opinion, plenty of infrastructure out here considering eir, virgin and vodafone is 300 metres from me, there is hubs where all the eir rollout covered, so infrastructure isnt an issue in my opinion ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

no need for the smart answer goodman :cool: i was asking for your opinion, plenty of infrastructure out here considering eir, virgin and vodafone is 300 metres from me, there is hubs where all the eir rollout covered, so infrastructure isnt an issue in my opinion ;)
    :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Pique

The NBP isn't tagging onto the end of existing Eir lines. The NBP has no existing infrastructure. They're running a full new line from the main network hubs out alongside Eir lines and continuing past where they stop to get to people like you and me and everyone else on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,820 ✭✭✭✭listermint

On the wind up or .. ??? :confused: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Eir stands to lose out on at least €125 million in revenues from the National Broadband Plan, and potentially much more, if ComReg proceeds with plans to cut wholesale rates for fixed-line telecommunications.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/eir-risks-losing-at-least-125m-in-broadband-scheme-revenues-1.4309656

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭scunermac

KOR101 wrote: »
    Eir stands to lose out on at least €125 million in revenues from the National Broadband Plan, and potentially much more, if ComReg proceeds with plans to cut wholesale rates for fixed-line telecommunications.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/eir-risks-losing-at-least-125m-in-broadband-scheme-revenues-1.4309656

Cry me a river...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Seen the NBI vans out on the Castlebar to Newport road on Friday morning, about 4 miles outside Castlebar. Road was too busy for me to pull up and ask any questions but it's the first sign of any movement out this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

So are they going to an exchange doing one road off that and then moving on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭naughto

corsav6 wrote: »
    Seen the NBI vans out on the Castlebar to Newport road on Friday morning, about 4 miles outside Castlebar. Road was too busy for me to pull up and ask any questions but it's the first sign of any movement out this way.

They where there this morning aswell just up from sweenys /archers hardware shop

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭guil

Sorry haven't followed much in the last few months but are those not in an intervention area but getting less than 30mb still in limbo?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

guil wrote: »
    Sorry haven't followed much in the last few months but are those not in an intervention area but getting less than 30mb still in limbo?

Friend of mine recently had this. He just followed the instructions on the nbi website where you get confirmation from providers he couldnt get more than XMb. He then emailed the government address called out on the nbi website. They got back to him to confirm they would take it from there and was it ok to use his data or something.

Fyi he was marked as being able to get FTTH but couldnt get more than 7Mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭guil

joe123 wrote: »
    Friend of mine recently had this. He just followed the instructions on the nbi website where you get confirmation from providers he couldnt get more than XMb. He then emailed the government address called out on the nbi website. They got back to him to confirm they would take it from there and was it ok to use his data or something.

Fyi he was marked as being able to get FTTH but couldnt get more than 7Mb.

Thanks, I've sent them an email.

• Advertisement

naughto wrote: »
    They where there this morning aswell just up from sweenys /archers hardware shop

Getting closer to Castlebar so, I was hoping I'd see them a few miles in the other direction.
    On 6mb fixed wireless now and while it's solid it's just a bit too slow for a family.

corsav6 wrote: »
    Getting closer to Castlebar so, I was hoping I'd see them a few miles in the other direction.
    On 6mb fixed wireless now and while it's solid it's just a bit too slow for a family.

It looked to me that they where heading away from castlebar going out the Newport road could be wrong though

naughto wrote: »
    It looked to me that they where heading away from castlebar going out the Newport road could be wrong though

Hopefully. They were about 1 mile the Newport side of the Belmullet turnoff when I seen them so unless their covering a longer stretch of road.
    Sir fibre stops 1km from our house coming from Newport which is annoying, especially since they've gone up side roads with only 2 houses which I know won't avail of broadband anyway.

This was on there Facebook page
    Surveying has started in Co Mayo in the following townlands of Shanvoley, Derryhick, Kilhale, Tawnylaheen, Turlough, Ballyvary, Keeloges, Castlebar Town, Rinnaseer, Bellaburke, Killawullaun Mountain, Carn, Carnacon, Ballyglass, Belcarra, Balla, Manulla, and Ringarraun. With over 47,000 surveys completed we are committed to building, delivering and operating a superb broadband infrastructure that will benefit over 1.1m people in rural Ireland.
    #NBI #NationalBroadbandPlan #BuildingALimitlessIreland
    Mayo.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

How many counties have they surveyed/surveying in now?

It's looking like phase 1 is all counties to be surveyed to within a certain radius of that counties "capital" / main hub?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Pique

I didn't see them do it myself but my neighbour's son spotted them tagging a few poles in my road. I took a look and sure enough, there are 3 poles, all ivy covered and one with a very slight lean, that have been tagged with a red 'D' on a white background. Presumably they are for replacement?

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Pique wrote: »
    I didn't see them do it myself but my neighbour's son spotted them tagging a few poles in my road. I took a look and sure enough, there are 3 poles, all ivy covered and one with a very slight lean, that have been tagged with a red 'D' on a white background. Presumably they are for replacement?

Hate to break it to you but there has been a red D on the pole outside my place for 4 years now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭BandMember

Have they decided on what counties will be rolled out/connected first and in what order they will be done? Or even when the first rollouts/connections will start taking place?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,517 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

padraig.od wrote: »
    Hate to break it to you but there has been a red D on the pole outside my place for 4 years now...

Here in my area when they were rolling out the 300k fibre some defective "D" poles weren't replaced for many months, maybe up to 12 months, after fibre had been rolled out on them. All defective poles were replaced at the time, both in the 300k area and the NBP intervention area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭clohamon

BandMember wrote: »
    Have they decided on what counties will be rolled out/connected first and in what order they will be done? Or even when the first rollouts/connections will start taking place?

I've seen surveying announcements about townlands from the counties below. There's been some hints that the connection schedule will follow the same order as the surveys. The first announcement seems to date from 13th August of last year in Kerry and there seemed to be a commitment to connection of homes by Autumn 2020, but there doesn't seem to have been any mention of those areas since, except for Ballyhar

carlow
    cavan
    cork
    galway
    kerry
    kildare
    kilkenny
    laois
    limerick
    longford
    louth
    mayo
    monaghan
    roscommon
    sligo
    tipperary
    waterford
    westmeath
    wexford

Update:

And from the Dáil on Wednesday there is an indication that the longterm schedule is already known down to premises level.
    my Department continues to engage with NBI to explore the feasibility of accelerating aspects of this rollout to establish the possibility of bringing forward premises which are currently scheduled in years 6 and 7 of the current plan to an earlier date.

Advertisement