Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Pique

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

RedFM in Cork are reporting that build work is commencing in Cork this month

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

I think this was already announced a while back. Whats happening for current FTTH packages, I know some companies are moving away from the 150Mb profile now, so if you sign up with Vodafone for example, they only offer 500Mb or the 1Gb package.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭rounders

In the article above they also mentioned they are starting build in parts of Cork and Cavan this month. Knew about Cork, first time I've heard Cavan mentioned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭baz9375

rounders wrote: »
    In the article above they also mentioned they are starting build in parts of Cork and Cavan this month. Knew about Cork, first time I've heard Cavan mentioned

This is the first time I've seen build works in Cavan mentioned too.

My road was surveyed in March (rural Cavan) and Eircode checker is showing live date of Jan - March 2021; looks like this will be on schedule :-)

Really happy with this news

• Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Pique

baz9375 wrote: »
    This is the first time I've seen build works in Cavan mentioned too.

My road was surveyed in March (rural Cavan) and Eircode checker is showing live date of Jan - March 2021; looks like this will be on schedule :-)

Really happy with this news

Is that the checker on the NBI site? Still says 'Premises Pending Survey' for me (Roscommon) but the NBI guys were out in early June.

Extrapolating from you, that would make it a year from survey to connection which seems good.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭fennor72

Pique wrote:
    Is that the checker on the NBI site? Still says 'Premises Pending Survey' for me (Roscommon) but the NBI guys were out in early June.

That site is useless, we were surveyed in late April, the site is still showing pending survey.

Pique wrote: »

Extrapolating from you, that would make it a year from survey to connection which seems good.

Yes the NBI checker... my eircode gives this message:

High Speed Fibre Broadband is on its way to your area

Surveying Underway
    Your premises is in the Intervention Area and surveying is underway in the locality. High speed fibre broadband is anticipated to be available in your area within the date range below.*
    Date:
    Jan 2021 to Mar 2021

baz9375 wrote: »
    Yes the NBI checker... my eircode gives this message:

High Speed Fibre Broadband is on its way to your area

Surveying Underway
    Your premises is in the Intervention Area and surveying is underway in the locality. High speed fibre broadband is anticipated to be available in your area within the date range below.*
    Date:
    Jan 2021 to Mar 2021

Do you know when it updated? Thats the first of the new dates afaik. Everything else was Dec 2020 - Feb2021 or the usual of premises pending survey

• Advertisement

joe123 wrote: »
    Do you know when it updated? Thats the first of the new dates afaik. Everything else was Dec 2020 - Feb2021 or the usual of premises pending survey

Hi Joe

That message has been there for my Eircode since the end of March/start of April.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Orebro

joe123 wrote: »

Yep that’s very interesting - all dates I’ve seen are also Dec 2020 - Feb 2021. So there must have been a recent update.

Orebro wrote: »
    Yep that’s very interesting - all dates I’ve seen are also Dec 2020 - Feb 2021. So there must have been a recent update.

Don’t think it’s a recent update, my Eircode has had that message since March/April. Have been watching it since for update to say survey completed.

Here’s Eircode if you want to have a look on the NBI site

<edit: publishing your Eircode is not a good idea!>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

instagram post from NBI stating that base product will be 500Mb download (not sure if its symmetrical or not)

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

fergus1001 wrote: »
    instagram post from NBI stating that base product will be 500Mb download (not sure if its symmetrical or not)

Nope. 500/50.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,517 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

fergus1001 wrote: »

From the NBI documentation
    Minimum Download Speed between retail CPE and the internet demarcation point 500 Mbit/s

Minimum Upload Speed between retail CPE and the internet demarcation point 50 Mbit/s

Galway Bay FM also ran a small article stating Cork, Cavan and Galway will be first to see build starting in next few weeks.

Of the areas in those counties actually surveyed that is. Good to see progress anyways for the lucky first few.

Seems like Cavan got pushed forward. All previous articles stated it was going to be Cork and Galway first.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,517 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

The Cush wrote: »
    Must be confusing bits and bytes........surely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

The Cush wrote: »

And to think a few posters on here told us we were idiots and deemed this as the amazing answer to not spending a few billion in a rural fibre network

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭mp3guy

And to think a few posters on here told us we were idiots and deemed this as the amazing answer to not spending a few billion in a rural fibre network

Some people just don't understand technology, plain and simple.

Lots of Elon bots around unfortunately and not able to think for themselves. The article even says the service only envisages 5 million subscribers in the USA so it is obviously not the answer only in very rural isolated areas (of which there are none comparatively speaking in Ireland). Service is probably a great solution for outback Australia and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Starlink is using an area of somewhere between 50 and 200km2 depending on who you ask. At the worst value that's like servicing louth with four cell towers for the entire county, 16 at best. Even Vodafone alone has far more than that nevermind counting the three MNOs together.

Starlink cannot break the rules of physics. Neither can Kuiper(Amazons version). Best way to think about it:
    Am I in an area with no mobile phone coverage at all? If yes, then LEO sats are for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Nope. 500/50.

A video about Utopia nets popped up in my feed yesterday. They made the point that GPON is almost the same cost to them as direct fibers to each premises as the commodity nGig ethernet gear is cheaper than "niche" PON gear. 1G 1310 SFP+ optics are cheap as chips now and most custs are happy with that. 10G isnt a huge extra cost and can be dropped in.

Wonder will we be regretting the PON route in 12-15yrs.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

ED E wrote: »
    A video about Utopia nets popped up in my feed yesterday. They made the point that GPON is almost the same cost to them as direct fibers to each premises as the commodity nGig ethernet gear is cheaper than "niche" PON gear. 1G 1310 SFP+ optics are cheap as chips now and most custs are happy with that. 10G isnt a huge extra cost and can be dropped in.

Wonder will we be regretting the PON route in 12-15yrs.

Hard to say. The NBP is XGSPON and as such is 10Gbit-capable from day one. I think it would be hard to make the case that a fully point-to-point network could have been built as cost-effectively as the tree topology of a passive network, especially with the geographical spread of coverage required.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Those star-link test results beat my ADSL2+ and if Starlink is available by next March I will cut off EIR permanently until the NBP fibre arrives. I'm really glad we got the NBP signed and started because with Starlink delivering this okayish sort of service you could see every ignoramus calling for the NBP to be scrapped and squander the money on something else. I'm sure the Green's could think of something, Cow Fart Methane monitors for the Dairy Herd perhaps?

I would rate Starlink most likely superior to all Mobile and FWA services like Imagine etc. and the crap 3G/4G services from the Mobile providers.

In my ranking of broadband technologies

1. Fibre to the Home, NBP, SIRO, EIR FTTH, (Primarily Rural for NBP and EIR).
    2. Virgin Cable - Coaxial Docsis to the Cabinet, Fibre onwards. (Urban only)
    3. VDSL - "eFibre" Copper for the last 1000m from the Fibre fed cabinet. (urban only)
    4. Starlink based on primary beta tests, ubiquitous.
    5. EIR ADSL2+ Copper from Exchange out to 5KM, 24mbps and dropping by distance, stable although slow. (Rural and Urban)
    6. 4G/LTE Can be fast, depends on mast congestion and peak evening traffic.(Rural and Urban)
    7. 3G, far slower than 4G with the same drawbacks. (Rural and Urban)
    8. WISP, charlatans on 5.8 and 2.4Ghz selling tiny bandwidth for extortionate prices, usually heavily congested. (Primarily Rural). Bigger companies like Imagine claiming to be fibre and running 5G when they are neither.
    9. VSAT. Two way Satellite, lord god why bother.
    10. Carrier Pigeon, usually better than options 6,7,8,9 with advances in MicroSD card technology a carrier pigeon is cabable of transferring upto 300TB, cons Ping time can run to several hours, prone to attack by foxes, kestrels and hawks.

theguzman wrote: »
    Those star-link test results beat my ADSL2+ and if Starlink is available by next March I will cut off EIR permanently until the NBP fibre arrives. I'm really glad we got the NBP signed and started because with Starlink delivering this okayish sort of service you could see every ignoramus calling for the NBP to be scrapped and squander the money on something else. I'm sure the Green's could think of something, Cow Fart Methane monitors for the Dairy Herd perhaps?

I would rate Starlink most likely superior to all Mobile and FWA services like Imagine etc. and the crap 3G/4G services from the Mobile providers.

3. VDSL - "eFibre" Copper for the last 1000m from the Fibre fed cabinet. (urban only)
    5. EIR ADSL2+ Copper from Exchange out to 5KM, 24mbps and dropping by distance, stable although slow. (Rural and Urban)
    6. 4G/LTE Can be fast, depends on mast congestion and peak evening traffic.(Rural and Urban)
    8. WISP, charlatans on 5.8 and 2.4Ghz selling tiny bandwidth for extortionate prices, usually heavily congested. (Primarily Rural). Bigger companies like Imagine claiming to be fibre and running 5G when they are neither.
    10. Carrier Pigeon, usually better than options 6,7,8,9 with advances in MicroSD card technology a carrier pigeon is cabable of transferring upto 300TB, cons Ping time can run to several hours, prone to attack by foxes, kestrels and hawks.

Surprised to see WISP rating higher than carrier pigeon tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

Depends on the WISP. I've changed to a WISP recently (from another WISP, 1 Mb ADSL before that) and get an almost constant 50/5 during the day dropping to at the lowest 15/4 at peak times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

The thing is lots of rural areas would have had nothing if it wasn't for some WISPS, lots of these started off as community projects, people who got off their arses to bring broadband to the sticks. It's a pity Comreg treated licensed links as a cash cow and did everything to hinder them with the way they sold and allocated licenses, hence the need to use unlicensed frequencies and gear.

Some of the better ones have morphed into fixed line operators and will be still with us reselling NBI!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,820 ✭✭✭✭listermint

theguzman wrote: »

Interested in how you rated starlink so highly when it's entirely uncongested right now but you've put it all the way up the list based on what exactly..

Advertisement