Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭theblackstuff

Just back from 9 days in IBIZA, 28 on plane out, 39 on plane back, Dublin, of which only 7 were Irish, rest Spanish and some English.

We were in north Ibiza, whole island is quiet, alot of big hotels not opening. Beaches quiet, mostly Spanish on them, asked apartment owner about this, he said they are mostly locals who are not working, from hotels and shops and just spending an hour or two on the beach with their family.

Mask wise, mandatory in shops, no mask no entry oh and you have to hand sanatise. Masks were mandatory on street since last Monday and from today cops can fine you 200 for not wearing one on street.

Alot not open, bars restaurants, small shops, but suited us. Still plenty of options avaiable. All outdoor aswell.

Back here went to Supervalu to restock, wore mask, was only about 4 other people there wearing them and no staff.

Im happy we went,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Off to the UK in the morning for a few days. Been working non-stop since January, all through lockdown and just need a break away from this place. Work were saying I might have to quarantine for two weeks, I said, grand I'll do that but just make sure I'm paid for those weeks and it doesn't affect my annual leave. They backed down pretty fast then. It's a reccommendation not a requirement.

I'll fill out their form, maybe put Bart Simpson's details on it for all it's worth.

Flights were €24 return and 4 star hotel is €220 for 3 nights. Wouldn't get a day in Ireland for that. Staycation my arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Simple answer No. It also helps there is no physical border

Are there any restrictions either via flights or ferries between GB and NI?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Are there any restrictions either via flights or ferries between GB and NI?

None either. Which makes the advice from government here a nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

Just back from 9 days in IBIZA, 28 on plane out, 39 on plane back, Dublin, of which only 7 were Irish, rest Spanish and some English.

We were in north Ibiza, whole island is quiet, alot of big hotels not opening. Beaches quiet, mostly Spanish on them, asked apartment owner about this, he said they are mostly locals who are not working, from hotels and shops and just spending an hour or two on the beach with their family.

Mask wise, mandatory in shops, no mask no entry oh and you have to hand sanatise. Masks were mandatory on street since last Monday and from today cops can fine you 200 for not wearing one on street.

Alot not open, bars restaurants, small shops, but suited us. Still plenty of options avaiable. All outdoor aswell.

Back here went to Supervalu to restock, wore mask, was only about 4 other people there wearing them and no staff.

Im happy we went,

The big issue with travel to popular tourist destinations is mixing with those from COVID-19 hotspots such as the UK. If it were me I wouldn't have bothered going abroad if a lot of the restaraunts and bars were shut.

• Advertisement

Lundstram wrote: »
    Off to the UK in the morning for a few days. Been working non-stop since January, all through lockdown and just need a break away from this place. Work were saying I might have to quarantine for two weeks, I said, grand I'll do that but just make sure I'm paid for those weeks and it doesn't affect my annual leave. They backed down pretty fast then. It's a reccommendation not a requirement.

I'll fill out their form, maybe put Bart Simpson's details on it for all it's worth.

Flights were €24 return and 4 star hotel is €220 for 3 nights. Wouldn't get a day in Ireland for that. Staycation my arse.

Sligo southern hotel, 4 stars, onsite leisure centre, 3 nights in Aug including breakfast for €285. In the town centre. Beautiful town and county. 350m from train station.

You're just making excuses. Simple as. There's value to be found in Ireland if you're willing to make the effort to search for it.

We'll all know who to blame if we cant open schools in September however. Those with a sense of entitlement to a summer holiday abroad when the pandemic is at its worst world wide. There are plenty of affordable staycation options.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

A couple of weeks ago I booked a flight to Spain to see my family in September. Apart from that, staying in Ireland all summer.

But I'm beginning to think that it might not happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

almostover wrote: »
    The big issue with travel to popular tourist destinations is mixing with those from COVID-19 hotspots such as the UK. If it were me I wouldn't have bothered going abroad if a lot of the restaraunts and bars were shut.

Agree on the popular ones but hanging out in bars for two weeks is not everyone’s idea of fun. Hiking and sea swimming would be of far more interest to me.

Greece is doing targeted testing on arrivals from U.K. (plus random from other destinations). They are not asking for money for the tests and they ask for information on passengers in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭bladespin

Sligo southern hotel, 4 stars, onsite leisure centre, 3 nights in Aug including breakfast for €285. In the town centre. Beautiful town and county. 350m from train station.

You're just making excuses. Simple as. There's value to be found in Ireland if you're willing to make the effort to search for it.

Well done, that's a great deal, enjoy, but don't forget to add the extra nights (7 minimum is a hol imo) and the cost of food and drinks while there and the value argument starts to weaken considerably, Sligo is lovely, I have been many times and it's definitely worth a visit but wouldn't really inspire me as a 'summer' holiday.
    We'll all know who to blame if we cant open schools in September however. Those with a sense of entitlement to a summer holiday abroad when the pandemic is at its worst world wide. There are plenty of affordable staycation options.

Yes, the government will get the blame, and rightly so, they will try to shift it over but it's their messing that has caused the entire situation, they have their bullyboys and fear mongers who will try shaming etc but it's them full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

If that happens, the people to blame are those who cough openly, who have house parties, gather in large groups, don't social distance, and don't wear masks where advised.

If some of these people get infected abroad but they engage in the activities mentioned above, their own behavior is responsible for the further spead of the virus, not simply the fact that they travelled abroad. This is exactly the same as if an infected person travelled from Dublin to the west.

It doesn't matter if a person gets infected at home or abroad, the impact if that infection will be greatly reduced if people wear masks and social distance.

That should be the message in the media each day not the travel debate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,262 ✭✭✭facehugger99

We'll all know who to blame if we cant open schools in September however.

The Teachers' Unions?

The Teachers' Unions?

Lol'd made my day with that one.

Seriously though, amazing how so many are overly interested in our health and safety while travelling but aren't so bothered if we're not and pretty much don't give a stuff about school staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

So it's cheaper to holiday in a big UK city than fecking Sligo.

Thanks for proving my point.

There's a staycation thread you should inform others there of the great deals you found.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

According to rte news a green list will be decided on shortly.
    Wonder will it be today???

bladespin wrote: »
    Well done, that's a great deal, enjoy, but don't forget to add the extra nights (7 minimum is a hol imo) and the cost of food and drinks while there and the value argument starts to weaken considerably, Sligo is lovely, I have been many times and it's definitely worth a visit but wouldn't really inspire me as a 'summer' holiday.

Yes, the government will get the blame, and rightly so, they will try to shift it over but it's their messing that has caused the entire situation, they have their bullyboys and fear mongers who will try shaming etc but it's them full stop.

Ya it's all the governments fault that a small cohort of people aren't showing any self control or responsibility.

So it's cheaper to holiday in a big UK city than fecking Sligo.

Thanks for proving my point.

The post I replied to mentioned nothing of big UK city. They could be staying in stoke-on-trent for all I know.

Ya it's all the governments fault that a small cohort of people aren't showing any self control or responsibility.

From all reports of those who have traveled they have done both, followed all guidelines etc. The government is responsible for anyone travelling ultimately, or not. They have judged us responsible enough to choose for ourselves after all.

Why would you presume someone travelling to a low infection rate area abiding by the health advise to mask up , sanitise hands and SD as irresponsible?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,262 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Scientists have recently discovered that the air-turbulence created by excessive finger-wagging is a big factor in the spread of covid.

www.pompousfingerwaggersidentifiedasconvidvectors.com

• Advertisement

More sense on show today, maybe the message is getting through:

Examiner

I'm dumbfounded by this

• Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Has anyone planned a holiday for summer 2021?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

bladespin wrote: »
    More sense on show today, maybe the message is getting through:

Examiner

Pretty poor it takes a doctor to suggest this...couldn't the government have pointed out the medical isolationist argument is nonsense and organised something like this themselves?

Gael23 wrote: »

Going to enjoy this year's first. Usually book in January

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Gael23 wrote: »

You’ll have the same finger wagging in 2021 .

Lol, talk about self control and responsibility, literally just out of a major services, only people wearing masks were 3 soldiers, myself and 2 American sounding people, shop was full, making Spain look safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Biscuitus

Booked a holiday for Autumn at the start of the year before Covid was even being talked about. I hope its cancelled and I get a refund for my flights but its looking like the country will be open to visitors by then. I don't want to go but can't afford to write off the cost of the flights. I can quarantine when I come home but what if I give it to someone on the flight and they don't bother. I'd be happy to not leave the country again for the next 5 years if there was some way the government would refund holiday goers their flights.

Barna77 wrote: »
    A couple of weeks ago I booked a flight to Spain to see my family in September. Apart from that, staying in Ireland all summer.

But I'm beginning to think that it might not happen.

why not? Attending to family is an essential.

People making these comments, you realise that you are staying away from your family over an illness with a low mortality rate that is probable going to common for years to come?

All while the staff on the aeroplanes that you are afraid to get on, travel daily and are specifically exempt from isolating

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Biscuitus wrote: »
    Booked a holiday for Autumn at the start of the year before Covid was even being talked about. I hope its cancelled and I get a refund for my flights but its looking like the country will be open to visitors by then. I don't want to go but can't afford to write off the cost of the flights. I can quarantine when I come home but what if I give it to someone on the flight and they don't bother. I'd be happy to not leave the country again for the next 5 years if there was some way the government would refund holiday goers their flights.

5 years? Seriously I’d rather get Covid.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement