Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market 2020 Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

brisan wrote: »
    Maybe the Government will take out a 25 yr mortgage at 0.1% with the ECB and build their own .
    They have said they are committed to building both social and affordable housing and SF will hold them to that
    Last chance saloon for the big 2
    People dont vote for lads whose families fought in the civil war any more

I cant see them getting the amount needed to sort out the housing issues its easily in the 10s of bilions and .1% I think it would be a slight bit more. I think its a good idea but will they do it?

The only issue I have with SF is their figures are plucked from no where they have never costed any of their plans and have also been found out up the north for rolling back on promises. So I dont think they will be any better. Over all more accountability needs to be shone on any party entering government and if they have a list of a top 10 policies they want to implement in the 5 years they have , they should have their pensions reduced by 10% for each policy they didnt get through. The only way to hurt a politician is in the pocket

• Registered Users Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

fliball123 wrote: »
    So what do we do with the homeless give them a tent and say good luck any government doing that would be lambasted.

Homelessness is not a housing issue and wasn't one until it was cleverly bundled by assorted NGOs into the affordability issue affecting wider society.

Homelessness is largely a substance abuse problem, and it's long been around. Once affordability is resolved (and a deep recession is likely to "solve" it), it will be forgotten about - as it always was. I'm not saying this is right, but it's almost certainly what will happen: our society didn't suddenly become more caring in the last 10 years.

Homelessness is not a housing issue and wasn't one until it was cleverly bundled by assorted NGOs into the affordability issue affecting wider society.

Homelessness is largely a substance abuse problem, and it's already been around. Over affordability is resolved (and a deep recession is likely to "solve" it), it will be forgotten about - as it always was. I'm not saying this is right, but it's almost certainly what will happen: our society didn't suddenly become more caring in the last 10 years.

OK well you go and tell Mary on the housing list that she has to take the house that is vacant down in the back a$$ of Leitrim and they cant get a house in Dublin.

So the 100k or so people on the housing list all have substance abuse problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Deub

I don’t see a government thinking that handing a lot more tax money to REITs which don’t pay tax is a great idea.

Deub wrote: »
    I don’t see a government thinking that handing a lot more tax money to REITs which don’t pay tax is a great idea.

But that is what they are doing this scheme and it is free for anyone to use. Like I said I am not saying its right but its what is happening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

I cant see them getting the amount needed to sort out the housing issues its easily in the 10s of bilions and .1% I think it would be a slight bit more. I think its a good idea but will they do it?

The only issue I have with SF is their figures are plucked from no where they have never costed any of their plans and have also been found out up the north for rolling back on promises. So I dont think they will be any better. Over all more accountability needs to be shone on any party entering government and if they have a list of a top 10 policies they want to implement in the 5 years they have , they should have their pensions reduced by 10% for each policy they didnt get through. The only way to hurt a politician is in the pocket

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/state-raises-750m-at-negative-rate-of-0-51-1.4306061#:~:text=The%20State's%20debt%20management%20agency,repaid%20less%20than%20they%20lend.&text=The%20bills%20offer%20investors%20an,take%20many%20years%20to%20mature.

I never said SF will do any better,but if this Government dont do something drastic the under 40 vote will give SF a chance to show what they can do in the next election

Maybe, I Just have no confidence in any political party their main aim is power, money and to be able to relax at retirement age.

OK well you go and tell Mary on the housing list that she has to take the house that is vacant down in the back a$$ of Leitrim and they cant get a house in Dublin.

So the 100k or so people on the housing list all have substance abuse problems?
    Very few on the housing list are actually homeless
    You do realize that don't you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Deub

But that is what they are doing this scheme is free for anyone to use. Like I said I am not saying its right but its what is happening

Now, yes because they can. The debt has decreased so it is fine. However if there is a recession meaning a decrease of tax collection, that will create problem. Working people wouldn’t take kindly seeing their tax going to companies not paying any.

Lets say the Government borrow a billion
    At 250K a house (land and finance given free to builder ) thats 4000 houses
    Sell those and rinse and repeat
    Borrow 5 BILLION that's 20,000 HOUSES
    Rinse and repeat
    The land is there ,the PP could easily be there ,the infrastructure can be put in place,the finance is available and cheap.
    Is the will to do it there
    Are they prepared to let builders make only a living instead of a killing .that's the question
    Are they prepared to upset the landlords and REITS by driving down rents and property prices ,who knows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

Lets say the Government borrow a billion
    At 250K a house (land and finance given free to builder ) thats 4000 houses
    Sell those and rinse and repeat
    Borrow 5 BILLION that's 20,000 HOUSES
    Rinse and repeat
    The land is there ,the PP could easily be there ,the infrastructure can be put in place,the finance is available and cheap.
    Is the will to do it there
    Are they prepared to let builders make only a living instead of a killing .that's the question
    Are they prepared to upset the landlords and REITS by driving down rents and property prices ,who knows

It make sense in a way, but if its a house in desirable location, let say around Dublin, that would be well below market price, right? who would be eligible to buy those houses? I imagine there would be a massive demands from FTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Billythekid19

Marius34 wrote: »
    It make sense in a way, but if its a house in desirable location, let say around Dublin, that would be well below market price, right? who would be eligible to buy those houses? I imagine there would be a massive demands from FTB.

Big problem in Ireland is that the less you work the more handouts the Gov will give you. Why would you bother going to work in say Tesco when staying at home you get free childcare, free house medical card and all the trimmings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭neutral guy

One of examples of lie in media and signs of falling property prices

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/house-prices-rose-slightly-in-may-despite-lockdown-limiting-sales-39372057.html

PAs spreading lies trough media trying get people hurry buy property telling them lies that property prices rising up making people nervous.How would you react of you read that kind of information about shortage of toilet paper on shelve in shop ?Same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,866 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/house-prices-rose-slightly-in-may-despite-lockdown-limiting-sales-39372057.html

PAs spreading lies trough media trying get people hurry buy property telling them lies that property prices rising up making people nervous.How would you react of you read that kind of information about shortage of toilet paper on shelve in shop ?Same here.

You think the article is false ? On what basis ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

It’s an article on statistics. Actual facts.

Hubertj wrote: »
    It’s an article on statistics. Actual facts.

Lies, damned lies, and statistics

Cyrus wrote: »
    Due with Covid sales drop they try boost sales.Marketing strategy under daily souce Hurry While stock last !Heard many that type songs before crash in 2008.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Neutral Guy, we expect a recent standard of posting here in A & P. Your recent posts are not it.

Please up the standard of your posts if you wish to continue posting.

Graham wrote: »
    Mod Note

Neutral Guy, we expect a recent standard of posting here in A & P. Your recent posts are not it.

Please up the standard of your posts if you wish to continue posting.
    The PAs do atempts boost falling sales what shows slow down on market.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 KingoftheSpoof

Very few on the housing list are actually homeless
    You do realize that don't you

Yep! Knew a "homeless" lad. Looking for a gaf so called the homeless bluff. On the list he goes.

He's definitely not sleeping rough anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Cyrus wrote: »

It's an interesting example of burying the lead. The headline is about prices rising (according to may figures) but goes on to mention that

"Further drops in transaction levels are expected as a survey of banks about lending in July shows the largest number of rejections of mortgage applications since this was first recorded in 2015."

And then later:

"Meanwhile, the Central Bank's 'Bank Lending Survey for July' shows a sharp decline in demand for mortgages, and a tightening up of lending criteria by banks.

The survey shows demand for loans for house purchase and consumer lending fell at the fastest rate in the history of the series and is the first marked decline in demand since the last quarter of 2011."

So demand for mortgages falling at the fastest rate in the history of the survey... Tell me more about lack of supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

My two housemates are off back home as they'll both be fully working from home for the foreseeable one confirmed to be WFH until July 2021!

I actually see this as good work planning as a vaccine is 2 to 3 years away when being realistic about it. I'll have to get new flat mates in or move myself. I've a couple of friends also with recently freed up spots so it's not a total disaster.

The rental market is like a lead jacket on housing prices. The rental yields and seemingly endless airbnb earnings have all but disappeared. It will be interesting to see how long prices can be maintained on life support. When does the house of cards fall?

Can banks indefinitely freeze morgage payments eradicating their own profits in order to prevent the inevitable drops? We are in such strange times. Personally I believe the rug needs to be pulled. I can't really see why the landlord class who have spent a decade extorting the youth should now be protected. Protected by who? The tax payer of course...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

You don't think culling the market of hundreds or thousands of landlords might bring with it other issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭JamesMason

OwlsZat wrote: »
    My two housemates are off back home as they'll both be fully working from home for the foreseeable one confirmed to be WFH until July 2021!

I actually see this as good work planning as a vaccine is 2 to 3 years away when being realistic about it. I'll have to get new flat mates in or move myself. I've a couple of friends also with recently freed up spots so it's not a total disaster.

The rental market is like a lead jacket on housing prices. The rental yields and seemingly endless airbnb earnings have all but disappeared. It will be interesting to see how long prices can be maintained on life support. When does the house of cards fall?

Can banks indefinitely freeze morgage payments eradicating their own profits in order to prevent the inevitable drops? We are in such strange times. Personally I believe the rug needs to be pulled. I can't really see why the landlord class who have spent a decade extorting the youth should now be protected. Protected by who? The tax payer of course...
    Spot on. The recently reported plummet in mortgage applications and approvals just about says it all really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

mcsean2163 wrote: »
    If global reits don't get rent because everyone is unemployed they will become insolvent.

We've been looking and prices have already dropped.

The tourism sector has been decimated, once the pup runs out, where will the non nationals go? Probably home if they can. Airbnb dead in Dublin, lots more rental stock there etc. Median age in Europe has increased by 5 years in the last 20 years from 37 to 42

Market will probably fall by 40%+. I would say if you get pre covid19 prices anytime in the next two years you're doing extremely well.

The price of houses especially in Dublin is absolutely crazy. If you're insisting on pre covid19 prices in Dublin, I suggest you ring around to find someone you can trust.

Then again, who knows, maybe people will decide covid19 is not worth the hassle and we'll have the v shaped recovery.

40pc. Yeah not a hope of that. Maybe in Leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭pearcider

MattS1 wrote: »
    40pc. Yeah not a hope of that. Maybe in Leitrim.

I reckon prices will fall at least 60% in real terms. But interest rates will be back at 20-25%. So the 1970s basically. We already have all the preconditions for stagflation but it will take a year or two before people see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

Did I I miss happy hour somewhere last night? Landlord class, 60% drop in prices, 25% interest rates? I should have gone out.

Graham wrote: »
    You don't think culling the market of hundreds or thousands of landlords might bring with it other issues?
    An oversupply of housing on the sales market ,leading to falling house prices .leading to people leaving the rental market and buying their one and only property.
    Thats one scenario
    There will still be REIT property at 2.5k a month to rent .
    Maybe the REIT will have to drop their prices

• Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

brisan wrote:
    An oversupply of housing on the sales market ,leading to falling house prices .leading to people leaving the rental market and buying their one and only property. Thats one scenario There will still be REIT property at 2.5k a month to rent . Maybe the REIT will have to drop their prices

We re clearly experiencing a chronic under supply, and have been since the last crash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭M256

With WFH 2 or 3 days a week as the new norm people don’t need to waste their time in the soulless Docklands, so there will be much less demand to buy or rent those tiny expensive apartments but instead people will buy bigger houses and apartments in other areas. Commuting to the office only 2 or 3 days a week is not the same as full week, people will be willing to commute longer but live in more affordable and bigger houses.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement