Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening of "No-Food" pubs pushed out again

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

ablelocks wrote: »
    it's a good thing - from what I've seen, social distancing is not happening effectively in shops or restaurants. Not at the beach or on the streets. Not at all in sports training I'm involved in or by supporters at the challenge matches I've been to. There isn't a hope in hell that a pub can operate and not be a focal point for COVID 19.

Think about it - the people who are getting out and about as it is aren't doing what they're supposed to do.

If the pub's reopened on Monday, it would coincide with the restart of most GAA (and other sports) matches. So on the weekend of the 25th, people will go to a match, congregate in the ground, roar and shout and then go to the pub!

If Covid could talk this is what it would ask for - a perfect opportunity to reset and tear into us again.

Look at the evidence from around the world in countries that have eased their lockdowns.

I love going to the pub (or used to) but this is just asking for our hospitals to be overloaded again and all our efforts over the last 5 months will have been in vain.

Agree with this but it's not a new phenomenon, the supermarkets have been open all along, beaches open the last few weeks, house parties in various levels since the beginning, restaurants now open nearly three weeks. So we have data on all of these activities and there is nothing to suggest these are high risk activities.

That is on the data as against current reopening measures.

However, how do you marry the lack of reopening with no border control or testing at the airports? Or with the lack of joined up approach with the UK with whom we share an island who have their pubs open? Or even with the EU with whom we don't share a border but align with them in most foreign policy arrangements. It makes no sense from a data driven, Irish specific context nor from a logical perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Theres going to be another April style lockdown because of stupid Oirish drunken degenerates who can't go without a pint.

So nothing to do with Texan flights, barbers, gyms and bookies being open, queues for IKEA and Woodies, nursing homes, not wearing masks on buses or trains. etc etc...?

It's just drunks in your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Fann Linn wrote: »
    So nothing to do with Texan flights, barbers, gyms and bookies being open, queues for IKEA and Woodies, nursing homes, not wearing masks on buses or trains. etc etc...?

It's just drunks in your opinion.

Not just the Paddy Drunkards, but they'll be the ones that spread it like wildfire.

Why can't the Irish wear masks? It would make a lot of them look better for a start!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Moving to Covid Forum, reminder to read the charter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Not just the Paddy Drunkards, but they'll be the ones that spread it like wildfire.

Why can't the Irish wear masks? It would make a lot of them look better for a start!

Masks are ****ing annoying to wear. Many people can't wear them properly. Many people can't wear them without touching themselves. Many people struggle to breath while wearing them.

A fella was talking to me today while wearing one and I could hear he was struggling to breath. I told him there was no need to wear one for my benefit and we could socially distance to mitigate the risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

They can be uncomfortable, but was his mask made from a plastic bag?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Theres going to be another April style lockdown because of stupid Oirish drunken degenerates who can't go without a pint.

Everyone knows alcohol makes it spread more......ffs

Getting sick of this anti drink/pubs thing, there are a myriad of reasons there might be an increase of which the pub is one.

A meal does not make you immune

• Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Aaaaaaaah ballax!

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2020/0715/1153499-politics-cabinet/

I get it, I really do, but why the focus on pubs?
    I got a haircut today in the Grafton Barber where a nice barber cut my hair with no social distancing (Completely within guidance)
    I just don't get the focus on the boozer...

It's because people can't be trusted with alcohol on them. No more, no less. (I'd be inclined to agree, all my good intentions always go out the window after the second pint.)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

KaneToad wrote: »
    It's because people can't be trusted with alcohol on them. No more, no less. (I'd be inclined to agree, all my good intentions always go out the window after the second pint.)

Which they can drink on a beach, in a park, at a restaurant or at a pub serving food.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Jimi H wrote: »
    We all want to go for a pint but how many of us see it ending well when the pubs open? It’ll be a free for all.

Reckon the frenzy will be short lived. If it ever happens :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭SteM

Everyone knows alcohol makes it spread more......ffs

Getting sick of this anti drink/pubs thing, there are a myriad of reasons there might be an increase of which the pub is one.

A meal does not make you immune

Obviously a meal doesn't make you immune. It might stop people from going out as often though, helps control the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Which they can drink on a beach, in a park, at a restaurant or at a pub serving food.

A beach is outdoors
    A park is outdoors
    Restaurants & pubs currently have restrictions (which aren't being followed) on dwell times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭firemansam4

As someone who enjoys going out for a drink I think this is the correct decision.

You can see from some house party's around the country that there have been spikes in cases because of them. So the same will likely happen if pubs reopen, a few too many drinks and people wont care much about social distancing.

It's very tough on vintners and they are going to need economic supports to help them, but I believe it needs to be done.

I am actually of the opinion that pubs should probably stay shut to at least next year, because if they are open over Christmas it could be a **** show.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭briany

It was evident before the lockdown that social distancing in pubs probably wasn't going to work, especially in the more popular spots that lots of younger people frequent and seem to have an attitude of "I don't care if I get it.". Social distancing in a nightclub isn't just discarded, but enthusiastically discarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,503 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Won't this encourage increase house parties more now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

Lockdowns have been eased all over Western Europe for the last two months with no uptick in cases and a continuously falling death rate.

Some countries have had bars open for two months. Where there have been surges none have been connected with shops, bars or restaurants.

So yes, let's look at the evidence and agree opening pubs would be a safe enough thing to do.

People in other countries obey rules and wear masks.

Not the Irish though. Rules don't suit the Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The people who make these decisions dont spend time drinking pints in pubs

They hate them

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

No, house parties will happen regardless.

And if the pubs were open and the same people spreading amongst their circle of friends at parties spread it around pubs, the consequences are obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

A house party with 10-20 of your friends is way, way less dangerous than a night out in 2-3 venues each of which have scores of staff and customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭briany

It may do, but if someone is determined to have a house party, there's little that a government can really do to stop them unless you want to get really draconian by shutting down the off licenses and enforcing a curfew.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭junebabies

You can only have 10 people indoors from 4 different households max. I presume this is to stop the house parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭junebabies

KiKi III wrote: »
    A house party with 10-20 of your friends is way, way less dangerous than a night out in 2-3 venues each of which have scores of staff and customers.

Max of 10 indoors now and only from 4 different households.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I get it, I really do, but why the focus on pubs?
    I got a haircut today in the Grafton Barber where a nice barber cut my hair with no social distancing (Completely within guidance)
    I just don't get the focus on the boozer...
    Because we had to spread out the reopening, and pubs were left towards the end because they were high risk.

As it is I don't see how we reopen schools. So opening pubs now when cases are tottering on the edge of getting dangerous would be a poor decision, as it would mean choosing pubs over schools. If cases don't start increasing, we can move on to pubs.

Nightclubs will never reopen before a vaccine. That's my view. Any kind of indoor venue which can't reasonably enforce social distancing is extremely problematic - unfortunately that includes weddings etc.

The good news is vaccines are progressing well. It will be a hell of a party when the vaccines become available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

junebabies wrote: »
    You can only have 10 people indoors from 4 different households max. I presume this is to stop the house parties.

And who is going to actually police that? Guards come to your door, you don't have to let them in without a warrant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

junebabies wrote: »
    Max of 10 indoors now and only from 4 different households.

What about only 8 but from 5 different households? Its a pile of nonsense at this stage, i can see the rationale behind the guidelines but its unenforceable and nobody is taking it seriously anymore

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

People in other countries obey rules and wear masks.
    Do they actually do it out of civil duty, do it only because they'll actually get punished or instead just also follow the Irish line? I asked a friend in Germany for example, where fines and all are more strictly enforced, and he said not everyone even there was wearing masks on public transport. The attitude is not just an Irish one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

What about only 8 but from 5 different households? Its a pile of nonsense at this stage, i can see the rationale behind the guidelines but its unenforceable and nobody is taking it seriously anymore
    Very little of this is enforceable, that's not the type of country we are. It's your personal decision whether to be part of the national effort or not.

Lots of people are taking it seriously. A minority of loud and mostly obnoxious people are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Tig98 wrote: »
    I understand everyone giving out but I think it's justified.

Was up North after the pubs reopened and it was pure bedlam. They attempted to space out tables in pubs but no social distancing what so ever in the toilets, smoking areas or outside the pubs themselves. Big crowds of people milling around together. There will definitely be a surge up there in the coming weeks.

Food service and maybe a few pints in a tightly monitored setting is okay for the moment
    There won't be a surge because the so-called disease simply isn't here.

The State has no right to shut any business or to tell people how to live their lives.

All pubs should open in spite of this edict. The criminals in Leinster House must go.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Whitehorse

Do all pubs not have an official capacity limit on their licence. If this was capped at say 50% it would be easy enough to monitor and if they breach it they are closed and licence suspended for a month. Those obeying the rules could at least get back trading .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

The people who make these decisions dont spend time drinking pints in pubs

They hate them

This is it in a nutshell, it's like back when not wearing a seatbelt became illegal. A minor inconvenience to protect yourself and others. But people waste all their energy p*ssing and moaning about it. Just wear the mask in shops and on public transport. It's not that hard.

My employer has made mask wearing mandatory on their premises and a person is sent home if they don't wear it or don't wear it properly. Proper order and nobody has complained

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement