Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Opening of "No-Food" pubs pushed out again

• 15-07-2020 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

Aaaaaaaah ballax!

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2020/0715/1153499-politics-cabinet/

I get it, I really do, but why the focus on pubs?
    I got a haircut today in the Grafton Barber where a nice barber cut my hair with no social distancing (Completely within guidance)
    I just don't get the focus on the boozer...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 24,779 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Aaaaaaaah ballax!

Some Professor said that earlier; 'love to know how you're safer in a pub by buying a €9 sandwich as opposed to one who doesnt? '

They should be all shut or all open.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

Fairly surprised and not sure it's justified. Nightclubs maybe but I don't see it's tenable to have cafes and restaurants open but pubs treated differently. Open with table service and limited numbers seems a more proportional response in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Spearmint Polo

They should open up and all do a toasted sambo special and a pint for €9. Bookies have no regulations, I was in there the weekend and asked was there a time frame for me to leave and was told no. It’s all very strange.

• Advertisement

The food thing was just trying to enable the industry to be somewhat pacified. Now they have got used to tills ringing for food they want them ringing for drink too..

Bookie thing again is a head scratcher, most bookies are tiny establishments.. but it’s an industry both bookies and racing / sport that has a lot of connections and influence quite deep into political circles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Some Professor said that earlier; 'love to know how you're safer in a pub by buying a €9 sandwich as opposed to one who doesnt? '

They should be all shut or all open.

That Professor must be from the College of Common Sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Vintners must be going mad. They had so much power, but not any longer it seems..

I think it's an experiment to get people using other social outlets like cafes and licensed restaurants. Pubs can be dark, windowless, not good air circulation etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭ablelocks

it's a good thing - from what I've seen, social distancing is not happening effectively in shops or restaurants. Not at the beach or on the streets. Not at all in sports training I'm involved in or by supporters at the challenge matches I've been to. There isn't a hope in hell that a pub can operate and not be a focal point for COVID 19.

Think about it - the people who are getting out and about as it is aren't doing what they're supposed to do.

If the pub's reopened on Monday, it would coincide with the restart of most GAA (and other sports) matches. So on the weekend of the 25th, people will go to a match, congregate in the ground, roar and shout and then go to the pub!

If Covid could talk this is what it would ask for - a perfect opportunity to reset and tear into us again.

Look at the evidence from around the world in countries that have eased their lockdowns.

I love going to the pub (or used to) but this is just asking for our hospitals to be overloaded again and all our efforts over the last 5 months will have been in vain.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Aaaaaaaah ballax!

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2020/0715/1153499-politics-cabinet/

I get it, I really do, but why the focus on pubs?
    I got a haircut today in the Grafton Barber where a nice barber cut my hair with no social distancing (Completely within guidance)
    I just don't get the focus on the boozer...

Because after a couple of Stellas all sense of social distancing is abandoned.

• Advertisement

Vintners must be going mad. They had so much power, but not any longer it seems..

I think it's an experiment to get people using other social outlets like cafes and licensed restaurants. Pubs can be dark, windowless, not good air circulation etc.

The way they’ve spat the dummy in this crisis that they couldn’t influence and amend the thinking of the powers that be drives them batshît crazy. Gone from having a big influence in the social and political life to, well, nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,547 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

"No food pubs" - you mean a Bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Plenty of people in the VFI will be delighted with that.

It means people will have to go to the bigger pubs for drink, and pay and extra €9 for something they may not want. It means the little guys will be a step closer to closing down, which is all the better for the big pubs.

I know someone with a small pub, they predicted this 3 weeks ago. VFI is only interested in it's bigger members, the small pubs are a thorn in their side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I support this. Was out in a restaurant with the in laws on Sunday. Some well meaning acquaintance comes up, buckled, hugs and kisses half of our group, shakes hands with the other. I know it's just because he was pissed, but there's nothing we could do but smile awkwardly. There's no telling drunk people. We'll not be back to pubs or restaurants in a while after that experience.

Drink and COVID don't mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

KevRossi wrote: »
    Plenty of people in the VFI will be delighted with that.

It means people will have to go to the bigger pubs for drink, and pay and extra €9 for something they may not want. It means the little guys will be a step closer to closing down, which is all the better for the big pubs.

I know someone with a small pub, they predicted this 3 weeks ago. VFI is only interested in it's bigger members, the small pubs are a thorn in their side.

Lots of assumptions and generalisations there.
    Lets go back to bob in the studio.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I am disappointed but not surprised. Pesky bat flu.

I see it here in the village I'm living in. 3 out of 4 small pubs shut and 1 wedged because they do meals and take aways. Carpark full from early to late and they even put on FB last weekend that they were fully booked out.

Now maybe I'm mistaken but surely it's safer or even less hazardous to have the other joints open so that the crowds would not all throng into the one place where the risk of contagion must be greater.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

I understand everyone giving out but I think it's justified.

Was up North after the pubs reopened and it was pure bedlam. They attempted to space out tables in pubs but no social distancing what so ever in the toilets, smoking areas or outside the pubs themselves. Big crowds of people milling around together. There will definitely be a surge up there in the coming weeks.

Food service and maybe a few pints in a tightly monitored setting is okay for the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

robman60 wrote: »
    Fairly surprised and not sure it's justified. Nightclubs maybe but I don't see it's tenable to have cafes and restaurants open but pubs treated differently. Open with table service and limited numbers seems a more proportional response in my view.

Never seen four lads pile into a cafe bathroom to do a line of coke off a toilet seat though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,685 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

This is down to those w@nkers that gathered on Dame Lane the weekend before last.

Its very simple to have a set of rules.

Capacity based on x amount of people per square metre. Size of the pub is included in licence renewals so would be easily calculated.

Gardai and environmental health officers to inspect. If you are above the numbers allowed you get a warning. If it happens again you are shut down.

• Advertisement

ablelocks wrote: »
    Look at the evidence from around the world in countries that have eased their lockdowns.

Lockdowns have been eased all over Western Europe for the last two months with no uptick in cases and a continuously falling death rate.

Some countries have had bars open for two months. Where there have been surges none have been connected with shops, bars or restaurants.

So yes, let's look at the evidence and agree opening pubs would be a safe enough thing to do.

BPKS wrote: »
    This is down to those w@nkers that gathered on Dame Lane the weekend before last.

Its very simple to have a set of rules.

Capacity based on x amount of people per square metre. Size of the pub is included in licence renewals so would be easily calculated.

Gardai and environmental health officers to inspect. If you are above the numbers allowed you get a warning. If it happens again you are shut down.

Like the professor earlier, you're coming from the School of Common Sense so you're guaranteed not to get a hearing.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

God gets his revenge for good Friday. Blame Munster rugby for challenging him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

This is my 4th pint of the evening, post-work, with dinner ingested and contact details provided. It is shocking that I couldn't do the same thing without the food for another few weeks but I can have gaff parties with less accountability to my heart's content.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mossie

In the town where I work there's a large pub with a bar, lounge and function room. They are also a restaurant and opened a couple of weeks back. Last Saturday night it was 4am when the last customer left. Allegedly the owner has an "arrangement" with the local Gardai to look the other way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

GazzaL wrote: »
    That Professor must be from the College of Common Sense.

That isn't an Irish University I'm guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mossie

Lockdowns have been eased all over Western Europe for the last two months with no uptick in cases and a continuously falling death rate.

Some countries have had bars open for two months. Where there have been surges none have been connected with shops, bars or restaurants.

So yes, let's look at the evidence and agree opening pubs would be a safe enough thing to do.

Few of those countries have the same pub culture we do though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Theres going to be another April style lockdown because of stupid Oirish drunken degenerates who can't go without a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Why don't they just make sure we all have these magic €9 meals that stop the Virus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Jimi H

We all want to go for a pint but how many of us see it ending well when the pubs open? It’ll be a free for all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement