Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Reseeding/Stitching Discussion Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Reggie. wrote: »
    Yeah but it has to be cut on the 7th day. Not sure why but that's the rule. No earlier or later. I'm sure someone will inform us why

With the weather we are getting over here i wouldn't want to making too many plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭endainoz

I’m going to broadcast clover seed today on a field that had silage cut off it last week. Rate will be 2kg/acre.

Will try to get watery slurry off a dairy neighbour but if he’s not around, I’ll probably graze it with cattle in a fortnight to give the clover seedlings/shoots a chance.

Don’t plan on spreading any fertiliser on it. It’s only 5 acres so couldn’t justify buying a ton of 0-7-30.

Anything else I can do to help the clover get established?

Get young stock in to graze it if possible once the regrowth starts, gives the clover a chance to establish. I did the same with a meadow myself after cutting last month, it looks to be getting going alright but it seems to be a serious year for natural clover growth around here anyway so I'm not sure which it is currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭endainoz

Yeah, it was with a fertiliser spreader. Went OK in that the seed was spread evenly enough over the 5 acres. Raining here now so hopefully that’ll help

Another thing though it's too late now as you've spread it already, but did you use a mixing agent with the clover seeds like gran lime? The small seeds of clover by themselves tend to fall through the spreader before they get a chance to be spread apparently.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

endainoz wrote: »
    Another thing though it's too late now as you've spread it already, but did you use a mixing agent with the clover seeds like gran lime? The small seeds of clover by themselves tend to fall through the spreader before they get a chance to be spread apparently.

There was a little seepage alright but thankfully not too much. Didn’t get a chance to order gran lime in time but would have liked to spread it with the seed.

The joys of being part-time - most things are rushed and last minute!

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭mengele

When is the best stage to apply lime after ploughing. Normally the way we do it is : plough, roll, 2 passes of land leveller, power harrow, set grass seeds, 3 bags of 10-10-20 and roll. At what stage in the process here should the lime be going out. Sometimes it would be ground lime, sometimes it would be gran lime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,378 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

mengele wrote: »
    When is the best stage to apply lime after ploughing. Normally the way we do it is : plough, roll, 2 passes of land leveller, power harrow, set grass seeds, 3 bags of 10-10-20 and roll. At what stage in the process here should the lime be going out. Sometimes it would be ground lime, sometimes it would be gran lime.

Either before the plough or the powerharrow. Get it mixed into the ground. Usually I get the fert and lime spread before i powerharrow then at least it cant be washed out if a heavy shower happens after sowing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Ground lime pre harrowing, gran lime after sowing, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,225 ✭✭✭Robson99

After levelling is done. No point putting out lime and pulling it all over the place

After levelling is done. No point putting out lime and pulling it all over the place

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Sillycave

mengele wrote: »

What is the benefit of rolling after ploughing?
    ps no experience of reseeding

• Advertisement

Sillycave wrote: »
    What is the benefit of rolling after ploughing?
    ps no experience of reseeding

To guarantee soil contact and also to give the seed a good firm bed to establish on. Also locks in moisture so less chance of it evaporating

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Would it be worth using the shallow side/short side of the chain harrow to work any seed down to the soil, and then a light roll to bed it into the soil ?
    I thought the rule for grass resseeding was Prol /may or September ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Sillycave

To guarantee soil contact and also to give the seed a good firm bed to establish on. Also locks in moisture so less chance of it evaporating

But would using the land leveller followed by power Harrow in the above process not be providing the seed bed?
    Understand rolling after seeding but just unsure why you would do it after ploughing? #slowlearner :)

Sillycave wrote: »
    But would using the land leveller followed by power Harrow in the above process not be providing the seed bed?
    Understand rolling after seeding but just unsure why you would do it after ploughing? #slowlearner :)

If you roll after ploughing it flattens it abit so its easier for the landlevellor, powerharrow or disc to cultivate it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Either before the plough or the powerharrow. Get it mixed into the ground. Usually I get the fert and lime spread before i powerharrow then at least it cant be washed out if a heavy shower happens after sowing
    Never seen anyone lime before ploughing sur it would be buried too deep when sod is turned. Best time to spread lime imo is after all leveling is done and before you set seeds. If you have ground burnt off for a one pass or discing, the advice is to spread lime beforehand as the burnt off thrash can be acidic so better to neutralise it before seed goes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭Dunedin

I stitched in a few acres into existing grass on Thursday but it’s rained every day since and I didn’t get to roll it and the field is wet in places as a good bit of rain here the past couple of weeks.

Will it still be ok to roll Monday or Tuesday (supposed to be dry) or do I definitely need to roll it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Dunedin wrote: »
    I stitched in a few acres into existing grass on Thursday but it’s rained every day since and I didn’t get to roll it and the field is wet in places as a good bit of rain here the past couple of weeks.

Will it still be ok to roll Monday or Tuesday (supposed to be dry) or do I definitely need to roll it?

I doubt you'll need to roll it ,heavy rain will have worked the seed down ,and put it in contact with the soil ,
    Roll it,If you think the ground is a bit lumpy after stitching in ,but wait till the ground conditions are right ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

How was it stitched?

How was it stitched?

It was stitched!!!! Didn’t know there was different types.

It was stitched!!!! Didn’t know there was different types.

Well some lads describe drilling as stitched. Same as some lads dont know the difference between raking and Tedding believe it or not.

Was it put in with a guttler?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭DJ98

When is the latest are reseed would want to be put in to get a grazing or 2 out of it this year?

DJ98 wrote: »
    When is the latest are reseed would want to be put in to get a grazing or 2 out of it this year?
    Depends on the weather at the back end but I'd say end of August or there abouts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Probably 6 weeks from sowing to first grazing, so late August looking at grazing first week or so of October. Depends on weather then if you can manage a second grazing or not.

Was it put in with a guttler?

It was the guttler.

It was the guttler.

Ah yeah it was stitched so. Just was asking as I know a fella that got an erth agriseeder in late last year and the field kinda got very wet/ flooded and it didnt take at all. He wasnt impressed.
    Just was wondering if you got it done the same way what yours would've turn out like.

What would the approximate cost be to reseed 6 acres, spray, plough, lime and and seed? Sowing rate for fertiliser and grass/clover seed?

What would the approximate cost be to reseed 6 acres, spray, plough, lime and and seed? Sowing rate for fertiliser and grass/clover seed?

€1200 - €1500

300 an acre

Sowing rate for seed would be approx 15kg an acre (or what your happy with)

2 or 3 bags of 10.10.20 per acre and about 2 bags of gran lime or 2t of ground lime per acre.

Spray for 20l is approx €80

Say €15 an acre to get contractor spray so €90

Seed roughly €60 a bag. 8 bags is €480

Fert roughly €240

Gran lime roughly €120

To disc and one pass sow roughly €450

Total €1450ish

• Advertisement

What would be the best spray to use to kill off grass and weeds prior to ploughing?

Advertisement