Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Guess what Mad_Lad got this time?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,201 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Reminds me of my wife's old Smart car. Big tyres on the back and skinny ones on the front. :D

For a second there I missed the words "old smart car" and thought you were being mean about your wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

DrPhilG wrote: »
    For a second there I missed the words "old smart car" and thought you were being mean about your wife.

Ah, I'm safe there. She's always been trim and lean. :D

I got a letter from BMW reminding me I have 6 Months left on PCP, time flies, hard to believe I've had the i3 2.5 years.

GFMV 15K, hard to know whether to pay it off or get something else, it really meets most of my needs on battery alone and the battery health is doing amazingly well far better than I ever could have imagined. In the worst of Winter weather I might need to use some Rex especially if preheating from work now, that will be a real test but I expect a tank of 8 litres to last me a couple of months at least.

I worked it out, at my current Energia electricity costs it will cost me roughly 75 Euro's for 2 months driving on electricity alone at least this time of year and I plan to cancel the account and get the missus to sign up and get the cheaper rate, I think it's unfair that they won't pass on the cheaper energy costs to their existing customers, anyway it should be a good bit cheaper.

My mileage is going to be too high now for PCP really, now that I changed jobs and work Mon - Fri and not having the days off in between it means I will now be driving 35-40 K Kms a year so depreciation at this mileage is going to be a killer.

I might wait for a 2nd hand model 3 LR Performance to come down in price and save up some cash.

A Kia e-niro, Soul etc is too expensive for what they are, the id.3 is gammy inside in basic form, no leather seats look bad. Maybe a higher spec id.3 2nd hand either.

But I think for now I might just pay off the i3 in December and keep it another couple of years and if the battery does show signs of capacity loss the Rex can make up the shortfall.

Let the car work for me for a change, I still enjoy driving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭eagerv

I got a letter from BMW reminding me I have 6 Months left on PCP, time flies, hard to believe I've had the i3 2.5 years.

GFMV 15K, hard to know whether to pay it off or get something else, it really meets most of my needs on battery alone and the battery health is doing amazingly well far better than I ever could have imagined. In the worst of Winter weather I might need to use some Rex especially if preheating from work now, that will be a real test but I expect a tank of 8 litres to last me a couple of months at least.

I worked it out, at my current Energia electricity costs it will cost me roughly 75 Euro's for 2 months driving on electricity alone at least this time of year and I plan to cancel the account and get the missus to sign up and get the cheaper rate, I think it's unfair that they won't pass on the cheaper energy costs to their existing customers, anyway it should be a good bit cheaper.

My mileage is going to be too high now for PCP really, now that I changed jobs and work Mon - Fri and not having the days off in between it means I will now be driving 35-40 K Kms a year so depreciation at this mileage is going to be a killer.

I might wait for a 2nd hand model 3 LR Performance to come down in price and save up some cash.

A Kia e-niro, Soul etc is too expensive for what they are, the id.3 is gammy inside in basic form, no leather seats look bad. Maybe a higher spec id.3 2nd hand either.

But I think for now I might just pay off the i3 in December and keep it another couple of years and if the battery does show signs of capacity loss the Rex can make up the shortfall.

Let the car work for me for a change, I still enjoy driving it.

Best of luck whatever you decide, remember the cheapest car to run is normally the one you already have.:)
    I don't agree totally re leather, I think fake leather often looks gammy especially after a few years.

eagerv wrote: »
    Best of luck whatever you decide, remember the cheapest car to run is normally the one you already have.:)
    I don't agree totally re leather, I think fake leather often looks gammy especially after a few years.

Thanks, indeed, I might just let the car work for me instead of the other way around for a change, never would have imagined the battery doing so good when I got it.

I have kids so anything that is not cloth would be better :D

Does the id.3 not have real leather option ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭eagerv

Thanks.

I have kids so anything that is not cloth would be better :D

Does the id.3 not have real leather option ?

Not at the moment afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 64,800 ✭✭✭✭unkel

What eagerv said, you'll save significant money by hanging on to your i3 far another while. This saving could be used towards a car that would otherwise (without this saving) be out of budget :)
    A Kia e-niro, Soul etc is too expensive for what they are

People have reported buying a 2019 Kona 64kWh for €30k and the eSoul is not far behind. For that sort of money the cars are very decent value for what they are in my book.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

2.5years of Rex brilliance reminders, time does fly :pac:

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

unkel wrote: »
    What eagerv said, you'll save significant money by hanging on to your i3 far another while. This saving could be used towards a car that would otherwise (without this saving) be out of budget :)

People have reported buying a 2019 Kona 64kWh for €30k and the eSoul is not far behind. For that sort of money the cars are very decent value for what they are in my book.

Yeah you're right, I really should pay the balloon and keep it. Wait a few years.

I think a year or two M3 LR Performance would be really cool.

An E-soul or E-Niro are great cars but not sure I could go back to FWD EV with some power but I did like the E-soul.

slave1 wrote: »
    2.5years of Rex brilliance reminders, time does fly :pac:

Indeed, time flying, the Rex has been brilliant I really can't emphasis how good. :D

• Advertisement

Once again we're of the same mindset.

Leaf 24 - i3 REx - Model 3 LR

I'll have to try and get there first this time.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Indeed, time flying, the Rex has been brilliant I really can't emphasis how good. :D

You have though, many, many, times! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

An E-soul or E-Niro are great cars but not sure I could go back to FWD EV with some power but I did like the E-soul.

I think there is an even chance your family could regret a M3 after the novelty has worn off. Once the appeal of the fart generator has gone and the some of the flaws show through that become quite annoying. I would (and am) wait(ing) for the model y if I had kids.

I do think owing an I3 spoils any future EV ownership given the current line up. Even with owning the M3, myself and the wife would naturally grab the keys for the I3 rather than the tesla for any local trips and my young kids would demand its in the BMW if they come along. Its far more practical than its given credit for for most journeys.

I'd have thought that a Model 3 P would be the most natural upgrade from a BMW i3 alright :)
    krissovo wrote: »
    I think there is an even chance your family could regret a M3 after the novelty has worn off. Once the appeal of the fart generator has gone and the some of the flaws show through that become quite annoying. I would (and am) wait(ing) for the model y if I had kids.

I do think owing an I3 spoils any future EV ownership given the current line up. Even with owning the M3, myself and the wife would naturally grab the keys for the I3 rather than the tesla for any local trips and my young kids would demand its in the BMW if they come along. Its far more practical than its given credit for for most journeys.

That's an interesting point, krissovo. Is the only reason for your disappointment / picking your i3 over your Model 3 for trips that the former is just far more practical because it's a hatch back? Or is there more to it? Do you find the BMW a nicer drivers' car? Are you disappointed with the build quality or the interior minimalism of the Model 3? Why do your kids prefer the i3?

I do think owing an I3 spoils any future EV ownership given the current line up.

This is true.

I was considering a move to an e-Niro but having test driven one, I just couldn't live with the front wheel drive and excessive wheel spin.

Plus its a little slower 0-100 than the i3 I think, or certainly felt like it anyway.

The e-Niro would have been 4 years newer but would have felt like a downgrade.

Any i3 owners in the Dublin area know anywhere to source a tyre, or have a second hand one available for a short term fix?

Someone posted this on Facebook earlier.

519175.jpg

Already tried Electric Autos, he's out of stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Try the BMW dealers. I know Keary's in Cork stock them , so the Dublin dealers probably do to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

That's an interesting point, krissovo. Is the only reason for your disappointment / picking your i3 over your Model 3 for trips that the former is just far more practical because it's a hatch back? Or is there more to it? Do you find the BMW a nicer drivers' car? Are you disappointed with the build quality or the interior minimalism of the Model 3? Why do your kids prefer the i3?

Its all of the above really, but not the cars fault I have to stress. Its mine for picking the wrong family car to meet our use case.

main reason is my work has changed so no regular trips to Belfast this means no need for the long range and fastest charging and I can pick from a wider scope of cars.

When I collected the car it was clear the paint needed a lot of work and snags that should never have passed Q/A. It was hard to love after that even after fixing.

A trip to B&Q to collect some post crete and 2x4 timber didnt fit, easy to fit long timber and 200kg of postcrete in a I3. Also shopping gets thrown around the boot of the m3 after some spirited driving and you have to dive in to retrieve your soy sauce from the deepest depths. It does not fit the role of the family "hauler" we need in our family.

Kids got car sick in the M3, in the I3 they are fine. It must have something to do with the lowered rear window.

I am a big dude :D the I3 is much easier to flop into and roll out of.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    This is true.

I was considering a move to an e-Niro but having test driven one, I just couldn't live with the front wheel drive and excessive wheel spin.

Plus its a little slower 0-100 than the i3 I think, or certainly felt like it anyway.

The e-Niro would have been 4 years newer but would have felt like a downgrade.

Id it's anything like the e-soul then it does feel a good bit slower but add to that full throttle pulling out on a main road would seriously limit 0-100.

The e-soul wasn't a bad drive either but you do notice the weight and of course the steering isn't all that good but not as bad as a leaf. The steering in the i3 is even better than the 1 and 3 series that I had for a loaner. The steering in the i3 is even better than the 44 Kwh i3, I felt they numbed it down a bit and People wanting a more sporty ride can get the S now.

Shame the i3S doesn't have 100+ Kw charging at 60 Kwh and about 300 Hp :D

Teslas are low! I'm over 6'1 and near 100kg myself but I'm used to much smaller, much lower sports cars :p

• Advertisement

Its all of the above really, but not the cars fault I have to stress. Its mine for picking the wrong family car to meet our use case.

main reason is my work has changed so no regular trips to Belfast this means no need for the long range and fastest charging and I can pick from a wider scope of cars.

When I collected the car it was clear the paint needed a lot of work and snags that should never have passed Q/A. It was hard to love after that even after fixing.

A trip to B&Q to collect some post crete and 2x4 timber didnt fit, easy to fit long timber and 200kg of postcrete in a I3. Also shopping gets thrown around the boot of the m3 after some spirited driving and you have to dive in to retrieve your soy sauce from the deepest depths. It does not fit the role of the family "hauler" we need in our family.

Kids got car sick in the M3, in the I3 they are fine. It must have something to do with the lowered rear window.

That kind of got me thinking about the M3, good to have a real common sense report of the m3 thanks.

Shoddy paint work would drive me nuts.

I still love the i3 and I just might hold off for the iX3 2nd hand but I'd have to wait a while because I bet a decent spec new will cost around 80K.

Who knows, could end up in an id.3, though no leather yet, essential with 2 small Boys.

Model S ? probably not, 2nd hand high mileage and driving 35-40 K Kms a year means I don't want a car that might start to give issues, air suspension alone isn't cheap to fix.

no leather yet, essential with 2 small Boys.

That's what I thought, but leather is overrated. In all the years with 3 kids in the car, only one of them ever threw up. And they missed the seats and it went straight into the carpet in the footwell :p

That's what I thought, but leather is overrated. In all the years with 3 kids in the car, only one of them ever threw up. And they missed the seats and it went straight into the carpet in the footwell :p

Na I'm not just talking puke, I'm talking ease to clean and they look good with just a wipe down and the car is less likely to get bad odours if stuff isn't soaking into the seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

I've the cloth seats in my i3.. pain in the hoop to keep clean tbh.

ewj1978 wrote: »
    I've the cloth seats in my i3.. pain in the hoop to keep clean tbh.

Same. There are a few companies online making fitted leather covers. They look the part in the pictures, but without seeing them in the flesh I have my doubts that they wouldn't look cheap and nasty.

I was lucky to find the spec I did in my i3 and for a good price.

9.500 Kms on it for 37,500 Euro's Full leather, Professional Nav, Harman Kardon stereo.

The larger screen is really nice and the live traffic works extremely well.

And of course not forgetting the wonderful Rex, I love it, yes it uses Petrol but it's saved me so much inconvenience, shame it can't run on bio fuel and shame there's no bio fuel available any more for Petrols.

There's no denying that I would really miss the Rex because the charging infrastructure is still crap, apart from Ionity and some Tesla hubs the ESB hubs haven't appeared nor have any 100+ Kw chargers, it's a disgrace. There are 1 or 2 sites with 2x 50 Kw chargers and it's simply not good enough.

So yeah, I got a lot of car for the money and I still really enjoy driving it and I'm not sure an I.d 3 or model 3 would give me such driving pleasure.

Shame BMW numbed the i3 down a bit and made the suspension softer and the steering lighter, the steering on the 2017 i3 is really good and much better than the 1 and 3 series.

I'd still love a spin in the i3s, it's supposed to be a lot more fun, better handling less bouncy etc, better throttle response and more mid and top range shove.

Pity BMW don''t give the i3 a power increase and also a charging Kw increase to 100 Kw.

9.500 Kms on it for 37,500 Euro's Full leather, Professional Nav, Harman Kardon stereo.

Mine was a year older than yours. Only had 5300km on the clock, lol.

Leather interior was the only part of the spec I wanted that I didn't get.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

There's no denying that I would really miss the Rex because the charging infrastructure is still crap, apart from Ionity and some Tesla hubs the ESB hubs haven't appeared nor have any 100+ Kw chargers, it's a disgrace. There are 1 or 2 sites with 2x 50 Kw chargers and it's simply not good enough.

Point of order!

eCars no longer have a 2x50kW one of the chargers at each site has been upgraded to a 150kW one.

And of course not forgetting the wonderful Rex, I love it, yes it uses Petrol but it's saved me so much inconvenience, shame it can't run on bio fuel and shame there's no bio fuel available any more for Petrols.

There's no denying that I would really miss the Rex

Of course. Thanks for reminding us, we nearly forgot :p

You won't miss REx for a second as soon as you get a longer range EV and / or the public charging infrastructure improves. The latter has happened tremendously already since the end of last year because there is no longer free fast charging.

• Advertisement

liamog wrote: »
    Point of order!

eCars no longer have a 2x50kW one of the chargers at each site has been upgraded to a 150kW one.

Really, since when ?

Advertisement