Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Guess what Mad_Lad got this time?

Options

Comments

Not sure about the status light but it was charging I know that because the app showed it was charging, I checked when I was having breakfast.

I'm going to turn it on manually via the app at 11 pm just to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,201 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

18 months and about 40k km done. Never had any issue with the off peak times.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    18 months and about 40k km done. Never had any issue with the off peak times.

Lucky you ;)

I just checked the app, "charging paused" and I confirmed that the timer is correct. Not charging, unless it thinks it will be charged by 08:40 by the time I leave to drop my Son to school but I doubt it, I don't trust it so setting to charge manually now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

You're not really providing the right kind of information for anyone here to usefully diagnose your problem.

What's your off-peak times set to?
    What's your pre-charging battery level?
    Have you set 8:40am as a departure time?

• Advertisement

MJohnston wrote: »
    You're not really providing the right kind of information for anyone here to usefully diagnose your problem.

What's your off-peak times set to?
    What's your pre-charging battery level?
    Have you set 8:40am as a departure time?

Off peak set from 23:00 - whatever the departure time is, doesn't matter if it's set to midnight or even 00:05, I have still experienced the problem with these settings.

Battery level when plugging in can be anything 50% + or 20% or below. If the i3 thinks it needs to charge up a bit to be finished by depart timer it will and then it will try to do the bulk of the charging at the off peak time.

08:40 was the set departure the last 2 nights.

It was fully charged by the time I got in the car this morning and I started the charge manually at around 23:50 last night.

Charge % was around 20% last night.

As I said before, I mostly works at the 23:00 - 8:40 time and it's usually charged by 7 or 8 am at the latest as seen by the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I am having issues with my pre-conditioning, I have it switched off in the connected drive and car however every morning it sets itself to pre-heat at the same old time. Could be a similar bug to your charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

krissovo wrote: »
    I am having issues with my pre-conditioning, I have it switched off in the connected drive and car however every morning it sets itself to pre-heat at the same old time. Could be a similar bug to your charging.

Does that happen while plugged in?

That's weird. Could be similar cause.

My charging worked perfectly last night.

MJohnston wrote: »
    Does that happen while plugged in?

Plugged or unplugged its the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,889 ✭✭✭Patser

Got my speedo fixed today by Konstantin in BMWworkshop in Baldonnel, while Frank Keane are still looking into problem - although that's not being 100% fair.

Joe in Frank Keane did take a genuine interest in problem, but there does seem to be an issue that BMW don't want anybody, especially dealers messing with their software on an individual basis (even for something as simple as changing speedometer units, which should have been a simple settings option).

Have my NCT next week, which I'm looking forward to, and hope it provides same comedy value as the confusion the i3 caused last time

Passed, and thet seemed a lot more familiar with an i3 today, knew exactly where to find VIN

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Got a warning on the dash today so 'Check drivetrain soon'. Google throws up loads of varied reasons across various models of BMW. Anyone get it on a Rex before? It's due a service soon anyway and the car has shown no ill effects performance wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭handpref

mordeith wrote: »
    Got a warning on the dash today so 'Check drivetrain soon'. Google throws up loads of varied reasons across various models of BMW. Anyone get it on a Rex before? It's due a service soon anyway and the car has shown no ill effects performance wise.

I had that warning come up and panicked, everything worked ok, because it was under warranty I brought it over to Keanes.
    Injector and sensor replaced and it was a known fault and upgraded replacement part fitted.

Think I had about 40,000km at that stage.
    Up to 115,000 now and no issues, my commute is bang on 100km’s and I do that without the Rex coming on, once a month or so I run the Rex for a while so it’s not left sitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

handpref wrote: »
    I had that warning come up and panicked, everything worked ok, because it was under warranty I brought it over to Keanes.
    Injector and sensor replaced and it was a known fault and upgraded replacement part fitted.

Think I had about 40,000km at that stage.
    Up to 115,000 now and no issues, my commute is bang on 100km’s and I do that without the Rex coming on, once a month or so I run the Rex for a while so it’s not left sitting.

So was it an actual issue with the fuel injection system?

My issue is resolved, I got some baffling technical description that I, even with mechanical engineering qualifications didn't quite understand. However I think simply they rebooted my Idrive system. Thankfully it didn't need a reset.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Mad lad are you setting a day? With mine if you select a day it doesn't charge overnight. Leave out the day and it works fine.

ewj1978 wrote: »
    Mad lad are you setting a day? With mine if you select a day it doesn't charge overnight. Leave out the day and it works fine.

Yep I set a day, it's been working fine the last couple of times.

If I don't set a day it won't preheat or preheat the battery if I'm going on a long trip this helps a lot with fast charging.

Patser wrote: »
    Passed, and thet seemed a lot more familiar with an i3 today, knew exactly where to find VIN

Where did you find the vin, had nct today and they wouldn’t pass it because he couldn’t see the vin on the chassis, the one under the windscreen wasn’t sufficient ?

mordeith wrote: »
    So was it an actual issue with the fuel injection system?

No idea, they said the parts were updated to replace ones that give this type of fault.

• Advertisement

handpref wrote: »
    Where did you find the vin, had nct today and they wouldn’t pass it because he couldn’t see the vin on the chassis, the one under the windscreen wasn’t sufficient ?

It's under the driver's seat, you need to slide it forward as much as possible. Stamped into frame, with a plastic cover in the carpet that says vin

Patser wrote: »
    It's under the driver's seat, you need to slide it forward as much as possible. Stamped into frame, with a plastic cover in the carpet that says vin

Legend
    I have to go back for the ramp test whenever that’s sorted so no harm done, if I wasn’t going back I’d feel a bit cheated for failing on a vin number, however the lad was very nice in fairness to him.

She still scrubs up well, 3 years old, 82,200 kms.

That "Wax It Wet" from Turtle Wax is great stuff !

ddAEa66.jpg?1

gmgVxKo.jpg?1

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

We all must have been at it :)

509229.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Holy crap, those are skinny tyres!

Gumbo wrote: »
    We all must have been at it :)

509229.jpeg

Looking good, was a good day for washing cars, shame tomorrow is to be so bad but I haven't planned going anywhere, if I have to I'll take the Outlander to ensure the i3 stays clean. :D

It's actually amazing when I think about all the hard work I had to do years ago to get a shine like this, just using the Wax it Wet makes it much easier these days.

n97 mini wrote: »

They are, this is why BMW chose large diameter tyres, low rolling resistance and the large diameter compensates for the narrow tyres.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Skinny, but tall. The 19” have he same road contact patch as a Mini Cooper S.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,201 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

And some skinnier than others...

509246.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

DrPhilG wrote: »
    And some skinnier than others...

509246.jpg

Reminds me of my wife's old Smart car. Big tyres on the back and skinny ones on the front. :D

Advertisement