Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Guess what Mad_Lad got this time?

Options

Comments

ewj1978 wrote: »
    Have to book mine in for its 2 yr service in January. Won't be accepting anything bar an electric car. Last time they had it in they forced me into a petrol ****wagon. Never again.

Frank Keane on the Naas road forced me in to Petrol and Diesel several times insisting they had no electric i3s to give me. What can I do about it really ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Frank Keane on the Naas road forced me in to Petrol and Diesel several times insisting they had no electric i3s to give me. What can I do about it really ?

They gave me an i3 for an all-weekend test drive before I bought mine lol

MJohnston wrote: »
    They gave me an i3 for an all-weekend test drive before I bought mine lol

Oh yeah for test drive in the hopes you bought it but most of the time when you have the car in for issues or service they only want to give you a pos 3 cylinder petrol or lowest power diesel.

I do remember they once gave me the 120 Ah and Instantly I remember the steering having less feel, seemingly they did this because People not used to it on the motorway were a bit scared by it but it's brilliant on the back roads super sharp steering. When I got back into my i3 I could instantly feel the extra feel. Feels much more connected to the wheels than even a 1 and 3 series which give surprisingly poor feel.

eagerv wrote: »
    Yesterday the best I saw on Ionity with my VW was 60kW, far from the highs in Sept. (And I started charging with low batt%)

The id.3 has a battery coolant heater and if you pre-heat the car from the mains it probably warms up the battery a bit, 60 Kw is very good in the recent cold.

This morning I really noticed the lag in the i3 acceleration, I haven't had it plugged in in a few days, it warms the battery to 10 Deg C which is just enough for max acceleration and regen but it's 10-12 degrees short of allowing max power at a fast charger but when setting off from 100% and a battery heated to 10 Deg C I've noticed that on a long drive the battery is usually warm enough by the time you need a charge, however, staying away from home in BnB hotel etc next morning you're screwed if you have to go straight to a fast charger this is why if you are arriving with a warm battery then it's best to charge it then rather than wait until the next morning for it to get cold.

I'd like to know the circumstances that activate the id3 battery heater and to what temp it heats it, I would imagine that if the car is left over night or a couple of days in the cold and you head to a fast charger next morning it will be cold enough that charging power might be much less.

The Model 3 for instance can charge very slow if it's cold also I remember Bjorn tested it on a 50 Kw but what it would have been like on a faster charger I don't know I can't see how it would have been any faster if the power is limited by the increased internal resistance of a cold battery, the colder it gets the slower the electrons can move from Cathode to Anode for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,800 ✭✭✭✭unkel

This morning I really noticed the lag in the i3 acceleration, I haven't had it plugged in in a few days, it warms the battery to 10 Deg C which is just enough for max acceleration

That doesn't make any sense. There is no problem discharging lithium batteries in the cold. The problem is with charging. Batteries can not be below zero C when charging.

Tesla only ever give you a BEV loaner :p

Usually one way newer / higher value than your own one and with full features. Very clever way for them to tempt you into upgrading.

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    That doesn't make any sense. There is no problem discharging lithium batteries in the cold. The problem is with charging. Batteries can not be below zero C when charging.

The colder the battery has higher internal resistance which effects performance, I first came upon this when I was experimenting with electric bikes many years ago, the Batteries in the shed caused a lot of sluggishness in the Cold compared to the batteries in the house that were nice and warm, no BMS nothing to limit current just the increased internal resistance.

I did not observe this on the Leaf probably because it didn't pull as much power as the i3 does, different chemistry could also have an impact, however with the Leaf I noticed a lot of lag with regen not as much with the i3 though the i3 cheats a little when the battery is full it applies the brakes when the battery is 100% or close to give the impression the regen is the same, the leaf clearly showed power loss on regen but the i3 might apply the brakes a bit if there battery is cold, there's no way to monitor energy.

Usually one way newer / higher value than your own one and with full features. Very clever way for them to tempt you into upgrading.

Ha yeah, they keep calling me to arrange test drive but I told them I will arrange it next year not really interested any more.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

the i3 might apply the brakes a bit if there battery is cold, there's no way to monitor energy.

Give this a try, I can't make it stable with the Mini, but I think that's down to my OBD.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bremeier.ralf.electrified&hl=en_US&gl=US

liamog wrote: »
    Give this a try, I can't make it stable with the Mini, but I think that's down to my OBD.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bremeier.ralf.electrified&hl=en_US&gl=US

Ah that's it, I remember Bjorn showed some app but couldn't remember the video or app. :D

Tried to connect the wifi dongle thing I have for the iphone that I use with bimmercode but the electrified app doesn't work with wifi dongles and I can't find my old bluetooth dongle I had for the Leaf.

Anyway, the i3 has a regen and power meter and I can clearly see the dip in power and I can definitely notice the difference in acceleration but if the battery has been preheated it provides max power, needs to be at 10 Deg C.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Tesla will give you a loaner only if either a) you're under the full 50k initial warranty, or b) you kick up a massive fuss.

Then they will give you the car back without fixing the issue, or with the hazard warning light cable unplugged, or countless other errors I've seen first hand or second hand on the owners forum.

Tesla cars are great but I wouldnt hold them up as the last bastion of good service. They are the antithesis to that

• Registered Users Posts: 12,201 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I've tried for the BEV mini from BMW Coleraine a few times with no joy. Mind you they're always booked solid and I've usually not had time to wait for a later appointment.

Also optimistically asked for an i8...

• Advertisement

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I've tried for the BEV mini from BMW Coleraine a few times with no joy. Mind you they're always booked solid and I've usually not had time to wait for a later appointment.

Also optimistically asked for an i8...

That was a tad optimistic alright but can't blame anyone for trying. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,854 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

ELM327 wrote: »
    Tesla cars are great but I wouldnt hold them up as the last bastion of good service. They are the antithesis to that

Ah well since BEVs don't require maintenance I guess the service centres need to figure out some way of staying in business :D

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Ah well since BEVs don't require maintenance I guess the service centres need to figure out some way of staying in business :D
    That's the biggest laugh I've had in some time, thanks :pac:

PS I got my reversing camera comped. Had to pay the labour though. But £180 beats the hell out of £700.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

PS I got my reversing camera comped. Had to pay the labour though. But £180 beats the hell out of £700.

That's a result but how much an hour did they charge? 2 hours @ £90/hr?
    Seems like a long time to swap out a simple camera.

The G30 (2017- 5 series) camera would likely take 30 mins max to replace, unless they faffed about running diagnostics/screwing around with software.

Bring Money Withya :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Mine is booked in next week for the camera, I best gather some evidence of other failed cameras before I go in........ If they think I will pay 700 for a camera I will throw the keys back at them.

Kramer wrote: »
    That's a result but how much an hour did they charge? 2 hours @ £90/hr?
    Seems like a long time to swap out a simple camera.

£120 an hour. Which according to folk in the BMW Facebook owners page in the UK is cheap. Some BMW dealers in England charge as much as £175 an hour.

They investigated the cause of the fault (which I had already told them), replaced it, programmed it (apparently needs coded to the vehicle) and did a software update on the car.

So 1.5 hours at £120 an hour.

But since I got the camera free, I'm not complaining.

krissovo wrote: »
    Mine is booked in next week for the camera, I best gather some evidence of other failed cameras before I go in........ If they think I will pay 700 for a camera I will throw the keys back at them.

I told them well in advance that it was a delaminated camera and was a common fault.

They wouldn't commit to a free camera, but just said that they would have me authorise an hour's labour (although they said if they could sort it quicker they'd only charge for what they did).

But when I called back expecting a fight, they just said that it was what I described and BMW had agreed to comp the part if I paid the labour.

The cheapest I'd found the part for online was about £350 so I'd be fairly sure that a main BMW dealer would have charged closer to £500.

It was a damn sight easier than when I got Nissan to comp a rear axle!

I have been thinking about saying goodbye to the i3 because my new Job will mean around 40 Km more driving per day, so depending if I have to do some other site visits I might be doing anywhere from 140-200 Kms in any day so while the Rex serves me well for the driving I do now, it's not something I had intended to be a daily occurrence for 40-50 Kms driving or even more if I hammer it.

I've thought about the Model S, too expensive for high mileage, out of warranty issues could be extremely expensive.

The Model 3, too expensive at almost 50K for 30-35K kms a year possibly more.

The ID.3, have to go to the Tech trim at 44-45K for the traffic jam assist, too expensive for the ugly interior, I'm not a fan of the touch screen for every function and the haptic buttons were annoying when I test drove it, positives are it's refinement + RWD but the interior is ugly and at 44K you don't get interior upgrades and for that money, no thanks.

ID.4, nice car, again, have to go to max trim for traffic jam assist, 55 K too expensive.

Really my mileage is the greatest issue, if driving 15-20K Kms a year I'd have to pay much less PM.

The only really sensible car is the Kia E-Niro, got best range of most at that price + it's got the LKA or whatever they call it. Good price considering the rest for the kit you get, things I don't like, halogen lights + FWD but can't have it all, really the LKA over endless motorway miles and range is what I'm after, the Outlander will most likely do the really long trips, when Lock down is over we'll probably be taking some very long trips again at weekends and it just wouldn't be worth listening to the missus if there are 2-3 cars waiting at a charger.

I like the interior from the pictures I've seen it looks a lot better than the id.3 and those lovely buttons. :-)

Now, having said all that, if there is a charge point at this site and I'm allowed to use it I will seriously consider keeping the i3.

IN reality with the charging network I can get home except Ionity at Kill is too expensive for daily use and I might need the Rex a bit to get to Kilcullen which isn't a big deal except I don't want to wait 10-20 mins every day, being there with the leaf, never again for commuting.

So arranged a test drive at Kia Carlow on Saturday 12 Pm.

The e-Niro is a great car and I've considered one a number of times.

But the FWD will drive you nuts. I test drove one and was taking it easy (as I knew the guy who had already put a deposit on it) and was still differing lots of wheel spin on take off.

• Advertisement

I was tempted by the E-Niro myself except it's so difficult to get one, they're like gold dust. One thing that annoyed me is that the price on the Kia site is about €4k less than what you'll really pay between delivery feee (€1600) and general price increases

I also need a car with more space hence why I went for the ID.4

One thing to bear in mind with the ID.4 is that you get 3 years of discounted Ionity charging (€0.55/kWh) and if you do more than 1000km of DC charging range per year then the paid plan actually works out (€0.30/kWh, €9.99 per month)

From what I've seen 200km should be no problem for both the E-Niro or the ID.4 (long range in both) even in the depths of winter

I agree having to get the Max trim for the Travel assist is a bit ridiculous, hopefully when the series models come out they make the Travel assist availabe on lower specs. I also can't fault Kia for the efficiency compared to other manufacturers, they seem to have put a lot of work into making sure there's no accessories draining the battery

Anyway, best of luck with the test drive, if you're able to hold off for a while then hopefully there's be some ID.4s around in late March for a test run at as well

The e-Niro is a great car and I've considered one a number of times.

But the FWD will drive you nuts. I test drove one and was taking it easy (as I knew the guy who had already put a deposit on it) and was still differing lots of wheel spin on take off.

Yeah the more I drive the Leaf the more I'm becoming aware of how frustrating FWD can be, the tourque steer when accelerating is pretty fierce

And the thing has a pretty serious appetite for tyres, I feel like they're slipping a lot more and they're only 2 years old :eek:

The eniro is a great EV, I love it compared to the kona, but the best of the triplets (and the cheapest) is the soul. I would go for that, you can get the top trim for mid 30's, lower if you get an ex demo.

Hate to break it to you but it doesnt have a rex! (Although the 2021 MY cars do have 11kW)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭jhegarty

The I3 gang keeps getting smaller.

ELM327 wrote: »
    The eniro is a great EV, I love it compared to the kona, but the best of the triplets (and the cheapest) is the soul. I would go for that, you can get the top trim for mid 30's, lower if you get an ex demo.

Hate to break it to you but it doesnt have a rex! (Although the 2021 MY cars do have 11kW)

Yeah was thinking about the E-Soul but the E-Niro is a bit bigger with better boot and I like the interior more, I think.

Yeah no Rex but the Outlander will most likely to those really long trips we take to the South West, West, North West , with no home charging for a few days or more public charging would be a right pain.

I think the E-Niro has a bit more range too.

jhegarty wrote: »

Not even the 40 Kwh is enough for me despite what BMW say. :D

But if the site I'll be going to has charging then most likely I'll just keep the i3. Because then for the other sites I might use the Rex once in a while which is fine.

Yeah the more I drive the Leaf the more I'm becoming aware of how frustrating FWD can be, the tourque steer when accelerating is pretty fierce

And the thing has a pretty serious appetite for tyres, I feel like they're slipping a lot more and they're only 2 years old :eek:

I don't know why they don't have LSD ? plenty of higher power cars have this with much less issues with wheel spin.

Yeah wheel spin, but I think better tyres would help + I doubt I'll be driving it like the i3, it's just not going to have that level of fun and all the motorway miles won't really make a difference.

I was tempted by the E-Niro myself except it's so difficult to get one, they're like gold dust. One thing that annoyed me is that the price on the Kia site is about €4k less than what you'll really pay between delivery feee (€1600) and general price increases

I also need a car with more space hence why I went for the ID.4

One thing to bear in mind with the ID.4 is that you get 3 years of discounted Ionity charging (€0.55/kWh) and if you do more than 1000km of DC charging range per year then the paid plan actually works out (€0.30/kWh, €9.99 per month)

From what I've seen 200km should be no problem for both the E-Niro or the ID.4 (long range in both) even in the depths of winter

I agree having to get the Max trim for the Travel assist is a bit ridiculous, hopefully when the series models come out they make the Travel assist availabe on lower specs. I also can't fault Kia for the efficiency compared to other manufacturers, they seem to have put a lot of work into making sure there's no accessories draining the battery

Anyway, best of luck with the test drive, if you're able to hold off for a while then hopefully there's be some ID.4s around in late March for a test run at as well

To be honest, the id.4 is just too expensive, 55 K for the Max with travel assist and I think I don't need such a big car. But yeah, a test drive would be nice, again though I don't think the id.4 has more physical buttons than the id.3 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

jhegarty wrote: »

The i3 Amigos :D
    He hasn't abandoned ship just yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I have been thinking about saying goodbye to the i3 because my new Job will mean around 40 Km more driving per day, so depending if I have to do some other site visits I might be doing anywhere from 140-200 Kms in any day so while the Rex serves me well for the driving I do now, it's not something I had intended to be a daily occurrence for 40-50 Kms driving or even more if I hammer it.

You've been complaining in almost every post about the state of the charging networks and how the Rex is the best thing since sliced pan and now you are saying you are willing to switch because you will be doing an extra 50km a day?! :confused:

Surely your i3 Rex is more than capable of handling 200km's? Is it really that short range?

Please dont buy any FWD car... i dont think I could take your daily posts complaining about your inability to control it on roundabouts! :D

Advertisement