Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Guess what Mad_Lad got this time?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Apparently I have a problem with my top spring mount.

Getting a rumbling noise when turning the wheel, even when stationary. A few people more in the know than me reckon its the top mount.

BMW Coleraine are quoting me £120 just to diagnose it, then probably north of £200 for the parts and labour.

So anyone have a site that they use for parts? My neighbour is a mechanic so I'll just buy it myself and he can fit it.

I bought the rubber boot covers for my front shocks from these

https://www.hubauer-shop.de/en/

It was during the initial lockdown so I couldn’t get to a dealer so just make sure it’s cheaper. Delivered in 3 days.

Fitted them in the garden with a mate.

Apparently I have a problem with my top spring mount.

Getting a rumbling noise when turning the wheel, even when stationary. A few people more in the know than me reckon its the top mount.

BMW Coleraine are quoting me £120 just to diagnose it, then probably north of £200 for the parts and labour.

So anyone have a site that they use for parts? My neighbour is a mechanic so I'll just buy it myself and he can fit it.

See if Advanced pitstop can get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,201 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Gumbo wrote: »
    I bought the rubber boot covers for my front shocks from these

https://www.hubauer-shop.de/en/

It was during the initial lockdown so I couldn’t get to a dealer so just make sure it’s cheaper. Delivered in 3 days.

Fitted them in the garden with a mate.

Excuse my stupidity, but is a boot cover different from a top mount?

As you can see, I know diddly squat about cars other than where the accelerator is.

As you can see, I know diddly squat about cars other than where the accelerator is.

Yes, the cover for the shock is called a gaiter, the mount at the top that's causing the noise which if like mine was a crunching noise, it was quite loud in the end worse while turning the wheel with the car stopped.

7 Kms left and the i3 hits 100,000 Kms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

7 Kms left and the i3 hits 100,000 Kms.

Good going & shows how committed you are to saving the planet.
    Fair play :pac:.

Hopefully you'll find the courage to take that final step next & go for a proper, full electric :p.

:D.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The rubber boot cover (gaiter) covers the top part of the suspension.
    Basically the rubber splits. Dirt or debris can then get in and cause wear onto the suspension, like the top mounts.

Kramer wrote: »
    Good going & shows how committed you are to saving the planet.
    Fair play :pac:.

Hopefully you'll find the courage to take that final step next & go for a proper, full electric :p.

:D.

No I'm keeping it, doing too many Kms to justify spending money on another new or nearly new EV. Time to save more after almost 6 years paying for cars.

I'm still really happy with the i3 and still love driving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,795 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Good for you! Why change if it does the job perfectly. Now save up the monthly payments you were making previously and in a few years time you have nearly enough to buy your next car for cash. Save yourself a fortune going forward and have the flexibility of owning your car and doing with it whatever you want, whenever you want :cool:

unkel wrote: »
    Good for you! Why change if it does the job perfectly. Now save up the monthly payments you were making previously and in a few years time you have nearly enough to buy your next car for cash. Save yourself a fortune going forward and have the flexibility of owning your car and doing with it whatever you want, whenever you want :cool:

Yep need to save, only this time it will be going towards the house, when you look at the cost of new cars and you add up how much the Government get it's a real disgrace. I'd be better off putting it towards the house, when you got a house as you know there's many holes for it to fall into. I/we gain more putting it into the house than giving it to the Government to squander.

I'll keep the i3 maybe 2 or 3 years and if I get 250,000 Kms out of it without major battery capacity loss I'll be happy, so far the battery has greatly exceeded my expectations and if there is a loss I certainly haven't noticed it yet unlike the leaf and the Rex is there again to save the day should the range become an issue in the years to come.

But without doubt, I really still love the car especially on back roads it's a pleasure to drive.

• Advertisement

Gumbo wrote: »
    The rubber boot cover (gaiter) covers the top part of the suspension.
    Basically the rubber splits. Dirt or debris can then get in and cause wear onto the suspension, like the top mounts.

Ah yeah, I know the gaiters. Splitting is a common issue. Oddly though the gaiter on the right is split, but the left is the one with the noise.

Ah yeah, I know the gaiters. Splitting is a common issue. Oddly though the gaiter on the right is split, but the left is the one with the noise.

That's because it's the actual mount that's the issue.

100,000 Kms still, only around 62,000 miles which isn't a lot really.

SKQtHul.jpg?1

That's because it's the actual mount that's the issue.

Tracked down the replacement mount. £40 delivered.

If this is a wear and tear issue, should I go ahead and replace both while I'm at the job?

Also, is this the right part to replace the sh*tty gaiters?

532634.jpg

Tracked down the replacement mount. £40 delivered.

If this is a wear and tear issue, should I go ahead and replace both while I'm at the job?

Also, is this the right part to replace the sh*tty gaiters?

Yeah that looks right, do both at the same time ? won't hurt, will need wheel realignment done. I do mine twice a year made a huge difference to uneven tyre wear but I'm doing 35-40 K Kms a year.

I did a capacity test on the i3 today, according to the built in computer, 28.6 Kwh from 29.9 new, the cold could be showing a little less capacity due to higher internal resistance, the battery temp was 10 Deg C.

So that is around a 4% loss or possibly less if the battery is warm, in 3 years and 9 months and 100,500 Kms, that's not bad at all and looks like at this rate it could very well indeed see 550,000 Kms to 80%, ( as per Samsung's own specs ) though will have to see how time effects it but so far I'm pretty damn impressed, in fact this Summer I haven't noticed any range loss at all and I couldn't say that with the 2015 Leaf.

So to date, the only issue I've had with the i3 is the door seals and shock mounts replaced under warranty, no Rex issues, nothing.

That capacity reading via the computer is widely regarded as completely irrelevant. I'd be going by how much actual range you have compared to when you purchased.

I've replaced both shock mounts recently, and my reverse camera has just suffered the well known delamination issue. Booked in for a once over next week and I've already told them that I expect a goodwill repair as it's a known issue.

Well it must be pretty accurate as I don't notice any range loss at all.

I don't have any issue with the camera not yet anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Getting the same range this winter as last in the really cold mornings. No noticeable loss in the summer either. Have 77k on mine now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Kevin Forde

Recently bought a 94Ah i3 Rex with 125km on it and its still reporting a useable capacity of 29.4kWh. Given that the “official” new usable capacity was stated as 28.8kWh, I’d say degradation on the i3 battery is negligible.

• Advertisement

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057812141&page=5

29.5 in the link above when I got it, 9,500 Kms and showing 28.6 now, so that's actually 3% loss according to the on board computer accurate or not it does reflect my experience of not noticing any range loss over the same driving distance, terrain and weather.

Battery life is proving so good that it's definitely one of the reasons I said I'd keep it and the fact I want a car to make money for me for a change.

Next service is due in January, that will be around 450 Euro's but every 2 years I don't mind.

The Rex is especially useful this time of year, I don't have to reduce speed or heating, queue at chargers or wait for charging if I don't want to and of course the Rex eliminates increased charging times at fast chargers when the battery is cold, again, very useful this time of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Next service is due in January, that will be around 450 Euro's but every 2 years I don't mind.

God that's steep :eek:.
    My BMW 530e (2l, turbo 4, 9.2kWh battery, 80kW motor) has a service pack covering servicing, brake fluid changes, wipers etc. for 100,000km/5 years for less - €429.

The Rex is especially useful this time of year................Rex eliminates increased charging times at fast chargers when the battery is cold, again, very useful this time of the year............

Another poster here was only pulling 30kW at a DC charger recently but assumed the charger was faulty. Would you notice reduced charging speed at 8/9 celcius?

What about that interior!!!

https://www.bmwblog.com/2020/11/28/the-bmw-i3-has-the-best-bmw-interior-of-all-time/

:).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

My BMW 530e (2l, turbo 4, 9.2kWh battery, 80kW motor) has a service pack covering servicing, brake fluid changes, wipers etc. for 100,000km/5 years for less - €429.

Another poster here was only pulling 30kW at a DC charger recently but assumed the charger was faulty. Would you notice reduced charging speed at 8/9 celcius?

https://www.bmwblog.com/2020/11/28/the-bmw-i3-has-the-best-bmw-interior-of-all-time/

yes you would

I don't think that's steep for 2 years and between 60-70k Kms of driving and I didn't get any service packs with the i3.

When the battery is cold around 4-5 deg C ( battery temp ) I've seen as little as 22 Kw and when I see this I disconnect and thank God for the Rex!

Most cars suffer the same, some more than others, the Tesla too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭eagerv

I don't think that's steep for 2 years and between 60-70k Kms of driving and I didn't get any service packs with the i3.

When the battery is cold around 4-5 deg C ( battery temp ) I've seen as little as 22 Kw and when I see this I disconnect and thank God for the Rex!

Most cars suffer the same, some more than others, the Tesla too.

Yesterday the best I saw on Ionity with my VW was 60kW, far from the highs in Sept. (And I started charging with low batt%)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I've replaced both shock mounts recently, and my reverse camera has just suffered the well known delamination issue. Booked in for a once over next week and I've already told them that I expect a goodwill repair as it's a known issue.

My camera just went all blurry, is that the delamination issue? I thought it was road muck but it does not clean off.

krissovo wrote: »
    My camera just went all blurry, is that the delamination issue? I thought it was road muck but it does not clean off.

Sounds like it.

Mine is in with BMW now. I'm driving a petrol loaner. Hate the damn thing.

eagerv wrote: »
    Yesterday the best I saw on Ionity with my VW was 60kW, far from the highs in Sept. (And I started charging with low batt%)

Would be interesting to know the actual battery temp. 60 Kw is far better than 22 Kw but this is with a cold battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Have to book mine in for its 2 yr service in January. Won't be accepting anything bar an electric car. Last time they had it in they forced me into a petrol ****wagon. Never again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭eagerv

Would be interesting to know the actual battery temp. 60 Kw is far better than 22 Kw but this is with a cold battery.

Yes would be interesting alright, i had driven about 70km, but some of it at slowish speeds due to freezing fog.

Advertisement