Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Guess what Mad_Lad got this time?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

I've no idea about the battery kappa max now.

I always felt there was more than the 29.6 available when I first got it which would explain why it charges so fast to 95% at 90 % it's still charging around 30-35 Kw which might suggest there's more in reserve.

But putting in 28.5 Kwh and starting at 7% and finishing at 95% would suggest around 31.92 available Kwh. Though with the rex you can't use the last 6.5 % as it's used as a buffer to prevent power loss. Only way to use the last 6.5% is to let the tank run out of Petrol.

31.92 Kwh would be a lot to use of the 33 Kwh though so I really don't know what capacity it actually has.

If it's a 400 volt battery and 94 Ah then it would suggest there is 37.6 Kwh available however the nominal voltage is probably more like 384 volts x 94 Ah would = 36.096 Kwh.

I must get a 2nd energy monitor and stick the sensor on the output side of the charge point and run it down as low as I can with 0 petrol and then see what it puts back in.

Either way there looks to be very very little degradation.

I could see your brain going into a rumble mode here, Mad_Lad :D

peposhi wrote: »
    I could see your brain going into a rumble mode here, Mad_Lad :D

Lol sometimes I think too much about things. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,889 ✭✭✭Patser

Got mine back today from Frank Keane, all polished up like new so happy with that.....

But they updated the software which means my speedos back to Mph and I'm having to ask them nicely to hook it up again to change preference

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Did you get any more details on the recall ?

jhegarty wrote: »
    Did you get any more details on the recall ?

Potential corrosion on the KEL (I think) control unit of the charger, is what I remember. Nothing written down to see

• Advertisement

I drove to Sandymount and back on Wednesday, total trip was 173 Kms and I still had 13% left. Not bad. No Rex used.

Amazing what you can do when you drive efficiently, there was no 120 Km/hr, some 90-100-105 Km/hr with maybe some 110 Km/h for short bursts.

It was sunny so heater use was not that much either, the sun was warm in the car.

One thing for sure is that I see absolutely 0 capacity loss after 3 years and 81,000 Kms.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

The consumption difference between 100km/h and 110km/h is wild!

MJohnston wrote: »
    The consumption difference between 100km/h and 110km/h is wild!

I saw 14 Kwh/100 Km on the way up and it showed 15 on the way home, probably driving more into wind, drove a slight bit faster.

Light throttle helps a lot, usually I have a very heavy foot. But 90-100 makes a big difference compared to 120 Km/hr anyway that's for sure especially this time of year when the air is colder.

If I'm sticking to 100 or 110 I'd usually stick it into Eco Pro mode, or if I'm aiming for 90 and it's not too cold then Eco Pro+, but these don't make a huge difference on a motorway, other than turning off the non-essentials.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,800 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I saw 14 Kwh/100 Km on the way up and it showed 15 on the way home, probably driving more into wind, drove a slight bit faster.

Light throttle helps a lot, usually I have a very heavy foot. But 90-100 makes a big difference compared to 120 Km/hr anyway that's for sure especially this time of year when the air is colder.

I think you need to buy a Tesla. You can then finally giving up having to drive at LeafSpeed :pac:

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    I think you need to buy a Tesla. You can then finally giving up having to drive at LeafSpeed :pac:

Lol, that's my first leafspeed run in a long time :D

I don't know if I'd pay for a new car again, too much loss.

Might get 2nd hand id.3 or M3 in a couple of years, depends if the m3 has a lot of issues or not.

I got a cracking deal on the i3 so might just keep it a couple of years though when it comes to paying it off in November I could change my mind but after 2 yrs 3 months I still really like the car and the battery is doing great.

Rex is dead handy.

If I'm sticking to 100 or 110 I'd usually stick it into Eco Pro mode, or if I'm aiming for 90 and it's not too cold then Eco Pro+, but these don't make a huge difference on a motorway, other than turning off the non-essentials.

Yep I ran in Eco Pro just to make the throttle less sensitive.

Sorry to keep hijacking your thread Mad.

But turns out the computer update that Keanes did, that reset my speedo to mph, has also blocked the local independent lafd computer from changing it back until he gets an update, and Keane's are clueless on how to change it themselves....... Although the talking with a lad there on the phone they do seem to be experimenting with it as they've another UK i3 in there that they'd like changed too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Can you not change it from the options menu ?

Mine didn't require anything beyond that to change over.

jhegarty wrote: »
    Can you not change it from the options menu ?

Mine didn't require anything beyond that to change over.

No. Apparently because it's original UK car its vo is to default back to MPH. Changing units changes are distances etc, and puts a small KMH under the main speed, but that remains KMH.

Annoyingly it's in the preferences in the computer, and a simple tick box click that worked before. But the BMW dealer are clueless in this, and the guy that did it before is locked out (according to him this is a common occurrence, BMW update their software and code it to try prevent independents working on their cars, then the independents find a workaround online and get going again, and cycle continues)

Ok So, I've had enough with the i3s off peak charging failures, drives me insane.

Why couldn't BMW just have a charging system where you select the time and dates you want to charge ?

Say I want to charge between 11 pm and 8 am, or Midnight and 9 am ot 1 hrs or 2 hrs give me the control ffs!!! it's not rocket science.

With the i3, you can only set time of departure, preheat, and off peak time and that's it. Ridiculous. It's lucky I have the Rex or I would have been stuck many times since I got the car.

So I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get an intelligent EVSE with app access so I can just set the i3 to charge immediately and let the EVSE be the brains.

Anyone know any good intelligent EVSE that doesn't cost a huge amount of money ?

Eh? Just set the time of departure at 7AM and the car will be fully charged having used the cheap night rate by then. Only takes 4-5 hours on a 32A single phase home charger.

Why waste at least a grand of your hard earned money to fix a problem that doesn't exist?

That's never been a problem with my i3 - I just set the off peak times to match Night Saver times, set my usual departure time, and it's all sorted when I wake up?

Eh? Just set the time of departure at 7AM and the car will be fully charged having used the cheap night rate by then. Only takes 4-5 hours on a 32A single phase home charger.

Why waste at least a grand of your hard earned money to fix a problem that doesn't exist?

?

I’ve had the car 2 years 3 months I know how the charging function works and if I’ve gone to the car multiple times and it hasn’t charged I would say that is an issue that exists. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Sounds like a classic case of RTFM to me! ;)

• Advertisement

That's never been a problem with my i3 - I just set the off peak times to match Night Saver times, set my usual departure time, and it's all sorted when I wake up?

Your lucky but there are several reports on the web about this issue whether it’s been fixed in later models or only effects a specific model year I don’t know.

It doesn’t happen every week or month but it’s very annoying when it does.

I can’t completely rule out the evse but due to other reported issues I do t think it’s related to that.

KCross wrote: »
    Sounds like a classic case of RTFM to me! ;)

I know how it works it just doesn’t work all the time.

If it works most of the time means I do know how to set the timer. ;)

I’ve gone to the car multiple times and it hasn’t charged I would say that is an issue that exists. ;)

If there is a problem with the car, it's under warranty, isn't it? Get BMW to fix it. Why on earth would you spend your own money getting it sorted? :confused:

Not under warranty any more.

I want to get a 32 amp evse anyway , I can always sell the one I have

I’m not bothered flashing the evse for 32 amps when I can install a new me with better functionality.

I’m certain I said this befor to the dealer on the numerous occasions I had the i3 in with them.

Not under warranty any more.

Ah ok. But if you have a record (email) that you told them it wasn't working before the warranty expired, they will still have to fix it for free.
    I want to get a 32 amp evse anyway , I can always sell the one I have

That explains your frustration. If you just let it finish at say 7AM, but the car was fairly empty, it will have been charging at top dollar rate for some of the time if you only charge at 16A
    I can always sell the one I have

I’m not bothered flashing the evse for 32 amps when I can install a new me with better functionality.

What better functionality? Zappi because you are going to install solar PV?

Either way, it will cost you over a grand (after selling your old one) to get a Zappi installed. Even if you get a large solar PV array installed and you are home all the time, it will still take about 54 years for it to pay for itself ;)

Your money, your choices, etc.

Ah ok. But if you have a record (email) that you told them it wasn't working before the warranty expired, they will still have to fix it for free.

Lol "If" they have a record but I can't remember 100% if I said it I know it was on my mind and had been meaning to say it to them, but as far as I've searched there is no fix.

That explains your frustration. If you just let it finish at say 7AM, but the car was fairly empty, it will have been charging at top dollar rate for some of the time if you only charge at 16A

No, not at all, as I said, this works most of the time, the car has been at a low charge many times before, last night I plugged in at around 20% so I would expect a full charge and even if it wasn't 100% it should be at a much higher than 30% than it was this morning at 8:40. It had plenty of time to charge.

What better functionality? Zappi because you are going to install solar PV?

Either way, it will cost you over a grand (after selling your old one) to get a Zappi installed. Even if you get a large solar PV array installed and you are home all the time, it will still take about 54 years for it to pay for itself ;)

Your money, your choices, etc.[/QUOTE]

Better as in be able to monitor Kwh used directly at the EVSE, set timers etc easier than I can with the i3 now or if I just want to charge it for 2-3 hrs or whatever during the day so I can have it charging at peak rate for as little as possible, currently the i3 only wants to do 1 thing and that's charge to 100% all the time with no control over the hrs it charges and it can be annoying. There is no start and end timer.

I have no intentions of getting Solar PV until there is a FIT offered and at that it will depend on how much is offered per Kwh which I bet won't be much.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I know how it works it just doesn’t work all the time.

If it works most of the time means I do know how to set the timer. ;)

And for the times that it doesnt work does it look like it did absolutely nothing at all or did it do some charging and then stop?

Isnt there some quirk of the i3 where the charging session gets affected depending on whether the car is locked or something?

Maybe someone inadvertently pressed the button on the keyfob and it disabled the timer for that day.

If it is doing what it is supposed to do 99.9% of the time and the EVSE isnt tripping out I'd be more inclined to think that its something "you" are doing that is causing it.

KCross wrote: »
    And for the times that it doesnt work does it look like it did absolutely nothing at all or did it do some charging and then stop?

Isnt there some quirk of the i3 where the charging session gets affected depending on whether the car is locked or something?

Maybe someone inadvertently pressed the button on the keyfob and it disabled the timer for that day.

If it is doing what it is supposed to do 99.9% of the time and the EVSE isnt tripping out I'd be more inclined to think that its something "you" are doing that is causing it.

I've been thinking about this for a while and no, there is nothing I'm doing that would in any way effect the charging unless I set by the app then I could say that something got screwed up which has happened before but I set the timer manually as I do most of the time, I set it in the MacDonalds Drive thru in Naas yesterday which by the way is the slowest drive thru I have ever seen, but it took so long there that I decided I would set the timer then.

When I got to the car this morning it had only put back in around 10% charge it was actually charging when I went out to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

When I got to the car this morning it had only put back in around 10% charge it was actually charging when I went out to it.

So when it happens when you unlock the car is the charging status light blue or flashing red? We had to replace our charger as it would cut our during a charge. Still if you said it was charging this morning it would seem more likely to be a car issue

Advertisement