Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Benefits of Public Sector over Private Sector

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,246 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

UpBack1234 wrote: »
    1. You won't be getting 30 days annual leave within your first decade working in the public service unless you carry over untaken leave from the previous period and 2. Unpaid leave is not something you can just take because you want a 'little holiday'. In general there has to be a valid reason given to a manager.
    Not entirely true it depends on grade.
    Much lower at CO EO etc but APs get 30 days for example but zero flexi etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Kamu

gmisk wrote: »
    Not entirely true it depends on grade.
    Much lower at CO EO etc but APs get 30 days for example but zero flexi etc.

Though there is the option of Shorter Working year.

Not sure the terms of that now, but i know 2, 4 and 6 weeks were offered in my Department, and 13 weeks were offered previously at Local Authority Level (which I believe they've now removed that option).

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭doc22

Complete garbage.
    I started as a CO and I am now an AP.

I think about 25 percent of ASECs and 35 percent at PO are woman!

There are of course efforts to promote equal opportunities as there should be.
    In some departments it's an open joke when the promotion list come around that It's all women(in order to make the gender balance equal at grade)

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ThumbTaxed

Complete garbage.
    I started as a CO and I am now an AP.

I think about 25 percent of ASECs and 35 percent at PO are woman!

There are of course efforts to promote equal opportunities as there should be.

You are focusing on the historic data. Focus on the rebalancing of those numbers by promoting women over men at any opportunity

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

My office has 20 people. 4 are men. Predominantly female in the building.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 Astro127

UpBack1234 wrote: »
    1. You won't be getting 30 days annual leave within your first decade working in the public service unless you carry over untaken leave from the previous period and 2. Unpaid leave is not something you can just take because you want a 'little holiday'. In general there has to be a valid reason given to a manager.

All depends on your contract, even then there are ways around taking time off lol

I get the average annual leave but I make extra money on the side so I use that to spend on a hoilday so that brings be up to around 30 days holidays a year .
    I'm not really losing my weekly wage as its covered so I can easily take a extra week off to go away . At the end of the day it's not hurting anyone not like I'm still getting payed while I'm on holiday ..

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Itchianus

doc22 wrote: »
    In some departments it's an open joke when the promotion list come around that It's all women(in order to make the gender balance equal at grade)

A couple of years ago, one particular civil service entitity articulated an explicit target of achieving gender balance at the PO grade by 2020 (at a time when it was 36% female), which arithmetically was going to require that at least 70% of the 30-odd expected appointments in the intervening period would need to be female. (At the time, the representation at AP grade was about 46% female, which is relevant as this is the primary pool from which appointments were filled.)

As it transpired, due to female PO's retiring, getting A-Sec or transferring out in the intervening period, it would ultimately require about 85% of PO positions to go to women. But, against all statistical likelihood, that's exactly what happened, and they have been able to happily report on their accomplishment.

It's a remarkable thing. If the opposite were the case, and over a 3-5 year period 85% of a substantial number of appointments were male, there would be absolute uproar and consternation, and rightly so. There'd be all sorts of reviews, introspection and soul searching to establish why / how the organisation can't attract an appropriate quantity of high calibre female candidates, or why the female candidates are underperforming in the process. Apparently though, that is only a concern when the seesaw is tilted a particular direction.

The really interesting thing will be seeing what happens next. Balance has been achieved now, in fact there's a majority of females in both the AP and PO grades. So there's no apparent reason that the trend in appointments should change; apparently there's nothing to see here in terms of the outcome of the last 5-10 years of appointments which arose at a time when 30-45% of the candidate pool obtained 75% of the positions.

Of course, pointing out things like this, just gets you labelled a misogynist.

Itchianus wrote: »
    A couple of years ago, one particular civil service entitity articulated an explicit target of achieving gender balance at the PO grade by 2020 (at a time when it was 36% female), which arithmetically was going to require that at least 70% of the 30-odd expected appointments in the intervening period would need to be female. (At the time, the representation at AP grade was about 46% female, which is relevant as this is the primary pool from which appointments were filled.)

As it transpired, due to female PO's retiring, getting A-Sec or transferring out in the intervening period, it would ultimately require about 85% of PO positions to go to women. But, against all statistical likelihood, that's exactly what happened, and they have been able to happily report on their accomplishment.

It's a remarkable thing. If the opposite were the case, and over a 3-5 year period 85% of a substantial number of appointments were male, there would be absolute uproar and consternation, and rightly so. There'd be all sorts of reviews, introspection and soul searching to establish why / how the organisation can't attract an appropriate quantity of high calibre female candidates, or why the female candidates are underperforming in the process. Apparently though, that is only a concern when the seesaw is tilted a particular direction.

The really interesting thing will be seeing what happens next. Balance has been achieved now, in fact there's a majority of females in both the AP and PO grades. So there's no apparent reason that the trend in appointments should change; apparently there's nothing to see here in terms of the outcome of the last 5-10 years of appointments which arose at a time when 30-45% of the candidate pool obtained 75% of the positions.

Makes a good case for someone identifying as female just to get the position!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,592 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

ThumbTaxed wrote: »
    Downside with some public sector roles is that you have no chance of getting a promotion unless you are a female. There is literally a published mandate to fill positions with women.

That may suit some of course.

Could you identify this published mandate please?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Could you identify this published mandate please?

It exists. Just not sure where the public version of it is.

• Advertisement

kippy wrote: »
    It exists. Just not sure where the public version of it is.

If it exists (which I doubt), it will be in here

https://www.gov.ie/en/circulars/

Looking forward to a link or reference

• Registered Users Posts: 34,226 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Great excuse for unsuccessful candidates...

Given that CO and EO (definitely) and HEO (I think) grades are now majority female, wouldn't you expect to see a majority of successful candidates promoted out of these grades to be female also?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

You are just gonna have to believe us. I was shocked myself when I read it in an email a number of years ago while in a particular department.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Itchianus

Well I don't know if it's what the previous poster was referring to but the policy of appointing based on gender as a tie-breaker at TLAC level, is published.

https://www.thejournal.ie/gender-balance-civil-service-3188442-Jan2017/

kippy wrote: »
    You are just gonna have to believe us.

I'm not.

I'm not.

Sound.
    No loss on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I don't think I could ever do public sector work.

I hate the attitude of "thats not my job", or how long it takes to get stuff done.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Divisadero

I hate the attitude of "thats not my job", or how long it takes to get stuff done.

Very insightful. You're obviously yet another expert on the matter. Keep up the hard work. You're an inspiration and I admire your 'private sector' work ethic. Like a good Civil Servant I will keep doing the bare minimum whilst drooling on my desk between infinite tea breaks. Thanks for all your hard work. You're a real hero. You sound like another corporate martyr really. Please keep it up. My fantastic salary and gold plated pension won't pay for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Haven't experienced that myself during my time.

I think that mindset is a thing of the past, it's all go where I am and most people have a good work ethic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Theres a lot of that where I work.

• Advertisement

What's work.
    I'm sitting around all day looking at my garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,594 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Recently made the move from private to public myself.

There's lots to be done and everyone I work with has a great work ethic, but there's definitely a different pace to the private sector jobs I've worked my whole life.

At first it felt slow, but after 6 months of it it kind of feels nice to not be incredibly stressed and climbing the walls every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,226 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yeah cause that never happens in the private sector :rolleyes:

Ever rang Eir support? Or tried to contact Ryanair? Or cancel Sky? Or get a refund from Aer Lingus?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Sinzo

EXACTLY... point well made.. or

Have you ever tried to get a plumber?
    After 3 different candidates you get one who answers.
    Says hes not available til next week. Week passes and no contact. Call again. He apologised for not getting back. Very busy. Said he can fit me in at the end of the week.

Calls to house. Fixes a pin hole in ballcock in attic and replaces a syphon in one of the toilets. Cool 150 euro for the privilege...

Yes, the private sector is so efficient and such value for money...

Sinzo wrote: »

Says hes not available til next week. Week passes and no contact. Call again. He apologised for not getting back. Very busy. Said he can fit me in at the end of the week.

Calls to house. Fixes a pin hole in ballcock in attic and replaces a syphon in one of the toilets. Cool 150 euro for the privilege...

Wonder could your plumber fix my kid. He keeps, leaking at the slightest thing. Water comes out of his eyes. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Sinzo

Wonder could your plumber fix my kid. He keeps, leaking at the slightest thing. Water comes out of his eyes. :D

Give him a call today and your child can expect a session within a couple of months provided,of course, you call him on least 3 occasions beforehand to remind him.... you might get lucky. And he'll only charge you 50 quid over the odds...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭Treppen

Sinzo wrote: »

Sounds like a good experience compared to mine

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ThumbTaxed

Itchianus wrote: »

Well said

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭addaword

Nail on the head there and you are quite correct. Often the old saying still applies, the amount of time it takes to do something is the amount of time available. Which in the public service is generally a very long time

• Advertisement

I worked in both private and public sectors. There was plenty of that not my job in the private sector.

It tends to happen when staff are being asked to do some lazy feckers job for them.

Stop trying to present the private sector as infallible. We have strong employment laws here it's not easy to get rid of staff. We are not America. Plenty of lazy clock watchers survive perfectly well in the private sector.

Advertisement