Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freshly roasted coffee beans online

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

hecmail wrote: »
    Doesn't work for me, was it just until yesterday (their instagram says it was just for the weekend)

Sorry about that - the email did include the following but maybe it was an error? :-(

(Offer valid until 24th July. 15% is applicable to Bailies Coffee 250g and 1kg retail packs. Discount is applied at check out. Postage fee still applies, not available on subscription products).

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Go Home Paddy Cat!!

The Burundi is lovely, haven't given the Fafa Reis a whirl yet as waiting for it to rest a bit longer.

Also, anyone seen Origin are now doing their house espresso blend in Nespresso pods? 10 of them for £5.50, might be worth a punt whenever offices reopen to throw in the drawer.

Ordered a bag of the burundi, cant wait to give it a go. Very quick despatch from WCC! Anyone tried the piendamo (columbian?)

15% off Bailies until July 24th!

Code: "JUSTBREWIT"
    hecmail wrote: »
    Doesn't work for me, was it just until yesterday (their instagram says it was just for the weekend)

Just to say I used this now and it does work! Valid until 24th July so today may be the last day (or tomorrow, not sure!)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

mrm wrote: »
    This months Bell Lane subscription roast date was much better - delivered on the 16th, roasted on the 15th.

I order my coffee a good week before I need it to allow degassing. Coffee isn't at its best until at least 7-10 days post-roast.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭mrm

I order my coffee a good week before I need it to allow degassing. Coffee isn't at its best until at least 7-10 days post-roast.

Yeah it was nice this time to have the degassing duration at my own discretion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Is that a scientific fact?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I don't have any papers or the like but I've read numerous blogs from respected roasters on the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭smcclaw

General consensus seems to be to let beans rest 7-10 days as per earlier comment. One of the more interesting insights that I read (from a scientist! https://sprudge.com/5-incredible-myths-of-coffee-freshness-revealed-86011.html) was that it may not be just about the coffee tasting better after a week but that the beans are quite volatile in that early stage in terms of degassing (the rate of which varies significantly by bean and roast type) so that for espresso it can be more difficult to dial in your shots each day.

The recommendations do vary a bit:

La Cabra says wait a month for filter (https://www.lacabra.dk/blogs/news/we-should-be-resting-our-coffee)
    The Barn says 12-14 days for espresso (https://thebarn.de/pages/after-we-roast)

There are too many variables involved to have one solution for all. For example, cupping should be done within 24 hours after roasting. On the other hand, some coffees need time to express their full potential, such as was the case of 2019 Indonesian barista champion who used a coffee that was used 2 months after roasting. (https://europeancoffeetrip.com/coffee-freshness-science/)

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭mrm

Is that a scientific fact?

What? That "I order my coffee a good week before I need it....."?

I'd say that is undoubtedly scientific fact!

I often use it after 3-4 days and find it fine!

If you are waiting 2 weeks to start using it, and then it goes stale after 3 weeks, it's worse than avocados! :o:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Roger the cabin boy

Is this thread just for online sales?

Anyway, bought some beans from Cork coffee roasters today (Rebel espresso blend).

I was in a rush but,

Expensive 7€/224g
    No roast date
    No blend details.
    Plastic bag packing.

Not sure I will bother again at that price anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

Always felt CCR were overly expensive for what they are^

I've often gotten quite mediocre coffee from the cafe too. Not sure if my palate has changed or if their quality has gone down or what. I remember my mind being blown the first time I ever had a latte from there. Nowadays I find them weak / bland / disappointing whenever I pop in.

When I'm in town I tend to go elsewhere unless I'm specifically around Paul Street. Pink Elephant on Washington Street brew with Stone Valley and it's glorious. I believe Alchemy up on Barrack Street and Filter over on George's Quay use 3fe. Plenty of better quality options out there IMO.

EDIT: That being said €7 for 224g is definitely on the cheaper side. Most roasters tend me around €9-€11 for that size bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

yeah 7 quid for a half pound isn't expensive imo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Got 1kg of Bailies Guatemala El Limonar Strictly HB, not overly mad on it...

Had it as an espresso through Gaggia Classic, V60 and aeropress.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

yeah i had that via subscription and didn't think much of it

very nondescript

i find that with a lot of latin american single origin coffees tbh

mad m wrote: »
    Got 1kg of Bailies Guatemala El Limonar Strictly HB, not overly mad on it...

Had it as an espresso through Gaggia Classic, V60 and aeropress.

I've got it in the post right now - you're not filling me with confidence! :pac::pac:

I've got it in the post right now - you're not filling me with confidence! :pac::pac:

Sorry Caviardreams…...As poster said above you, taste to me is very bland.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Roger the cabin boy

Danger781 wrote: »
    Always felt CCR were overly expensive for what they are^

I've often gotten quite mediocre coffee from the cafe too. Not sure if my palate has changed or if their quality has gone down or what. I remember my mind being blown the first time I ever had a latte from there. Nowadays I find them weak / bland / disappointing whenever I pop in.

When I'm in town I tend to go elsewhere unless I'm specifically around Paul Street. Pink Elephant on Washington Street brew with Stone Valley and it's glorious. I believe Alchemy up on Barrack Street and Filter over on George's Quay use 3fe. Plenty of better quality options out there IMO.

EDIT: That being said €7 for 224g is definitely on the cheaper side. Most roasters tend me around €9-€11 for that size bag.

I must try those coffee shops!

31.25/kg for house blend is hardly cheap though. Maher's do 25/kg and a decent bag and roast date to boot.

The Rebel blend is ok and I am enjoying it but no more than Maher's who I find to be good value in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

I must try those coffee shops!

31.25/kg for house blend is hardly cheap though. Maher's do 25/kg and a decent bag and roast date to boot.

The Rebel blend is ok and I am enjoying it but no more than Maher's who I find to be good value in the area.

30 euro per KG is pretty standard, if not on the cheaper side. Have you checked the prices of some of the Cork based roasters? West Cork Coffee, Red Strand, Stone Valley.. All in the €30-€40 range, sometimes more..

How are Maher's roast dates? Never considered them to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,744 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Danger781 wrote: »
    30 euro per KG is pretty standard, if not on the cheaper side. Have you checked the prices of some of the Cork based roasters? West Cork Coffee, Red Strand, Stone Valley.. All in the €30-€40 range, sometimes more..

How are Maher's roast dates? Never considered them to be honest.

High prices are standard for Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Ordered a bag of the Ugandan Ekimuli from PS Coffee Roasters. Be interesting to see how it turns out. Cafes are decent but haven't really heard anyone talking about the roastery side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Ordered a bag of the Ugandan Ekimuli from PS Coffee Roasters. Be interesting to see how it turns out. Cafes are decent but haven't really heard anyone talking about the roastery side of things.

At 40 quid a kilo Ill wait until you post your review!

6b96c708cd2ceb2bac6a7c722e40d457.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Ordered from WCC yesterday and shipped today:

BRAZIL - FLAVIO 'FAFA' REIS
    SQ2122428
    227g / WholeBean

Burundi - Kayanza
    SQ4258773
    227g / Espresso (Fine Grind)

Colombia - PIENDAMO
    SQ1105167

The Brazilian is for the FIL and BIL who normally get 3FE or Fixx Brazilian whole beans or SA blends.

The other two are mine. I reached out after I fell in love with their INDONESIA - BENER MERIAH and it subsequently sold out, and he recommended the Burundi to me.

I've been left pretty cold by a lot of SA coffee this year, but again, the recommendation of the PIENDAMO was worth giving it a bash.

TBH, it's WCC, and so far I have a 100% hit rates with what we've received from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

The Nal wrote: »
    At 40 quid a kilo Ill wait until you post your review!

6b96c708cd2ceb2bac6a7c722e40d457.gif

Bit steep indeed but similar price to the likes of 3fe, WCC etc. Don't mind splashing out the odd time to try something new.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Bit steep indeed but similar price to the likes of 3fe, WCC etc. Don't mind splashing out the odd time to try something new.

Me neither, especially when someone else has taken the risk and done the research first!

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

Need some coffee for the bank holiday weekend.

Might give WCC a shot.

Best option?

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

G rock wrote: »
    Need some coffee for the bank holiday weekend.

Might give WCC a shot.

Best option?
    Ordered from WCC yesterday and shipped today:

BRAZIL - FLAVIO 'FAFA' REIS
    SQ2122428
    227g / WholeBean

Burundi - Kayanza
    SQ4258773

Colombia - PIENDAMO
    SQ1105167

The Brazilian is for the FIL and BIL who normally get 3FE or Fixx Brazilian whole beans or SA blends.

The other two are mine. I reached out after I fell in love with their INDONESIA - BENER MERIAH and it subsequently sold out, and he recommended the Burundi to me.

I've been left pretty cold by a lot of SA coffee this year, but again, the recommendation of the PIENDAMO was worth giving it a bash.

TBH, it's WCC, and so far I have a 100% hit rates with what we've received from them.

I'm the same so i'm going to give Bonnie's bottom two a go. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I love PS Coffees. They had a Finca in 2018 that I still think about with fondness. I have a bag of the Ekimuli in the press but I'm finishing my Stone Valley Harvest Moon first.

Art of Coffee 25% off till 4th of August.

Enjoy25 code.

Fusion Blend ( Got this before and was nice)

Anyone an experience of coffees below?

Ethiopia Yirgacheffe

Papua New Guinea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Del007

Slattsy wrote: »
    Went for a few bags from Mahers in Cork. Easy website, good descriptions and particularly like that they have Italian Roasts.

Went for the following:
    Italian
    El Salvador
    French
    Brazilian Santos

:)

I'm going to pop in there tomorrow and see what they recommend

Advertisement