Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tarmac drive price 600m2 .

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭micks_address

macadam wrote: »
    Prices are/will be going up again..
    Bitumen on the up again, so your Tarmac/Asphalt driveway is going up in price in February approx 7.5%, if it doesnt you need to be very careful with your chosen contractor.
    All questions queries welcome...

Hi macadam,
    I dropped you a pm
    Thanks,
    Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kingbhome

Prices are/will be going up again..
    Bitumen on the up again, so your Tarmac/Asphalt driveway is going up in price in February approx 7.5%, if it doesnt you need to be very careful with your chosen contractor.
    All questions queries welcome...

The area is 200sq meters. I work in construction, have experience with machines. I'll be doing this along with help and also my cousin works with tarmac regularly thou I haven't asked him yet. Well be doing it!

I'll prep everything with the laser level, have the 804 rolled out ready for the tar the next day. Is it just a case of spreading it like stones, get your levels then roll it. Is there a time limit since the tar is hot? Do they just dump it all or bit by bit as were spreading.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

kingbhome wrote: »
    The area is 200sq meters. I work in construction, have experience with machines. I'll be doing this along with help and also my cousin works with tarmac regularly thou I haven't asked him yet. Well be doing it!

I'll prep everything with the laser level, have the 804 rolled out ready for the tar the next day. Is it just a case of spreading it like stones, get your levels then roll it. Is there a time limit since the tar is hot? Do they just dump it all or bit by bit as were spreading.

Not to be sounding insulting or the likes, but if you have no experience in working with tarmac/asphalt, do not try it as a DIY project many have and failed. Stick to what you know and dont be wasting your money. There are lads at it a number of years and still cannot grasp the speed and tenacity you need to lay in your case 25 tonnes at a depth of 50mm finish, you will be working with a perishable product that can go off quicker than you may realise, could end up looking horrible, useless and maybe worst case scenario lifting and replacing which leaves it twice as expensive. but again you have experience with machines so it might come in handy.

Not to be sounding insulting or the likes, but if you have no experience in working with tarmac/asphalt, do not try it as a DIY project many have and failed. Stick to what you know and dont be wasting your money. There are lads at it a number of years and still cannot grasp the speed and tenacity you need to lay in your case 25 tonnes at a depth of 50mm finish, you will be working with a perishable product that can go off quicker than you may realise, could end up looking horrible, useless and maybe worst case scenario lifting and replacing which leaves it twice as expensive. but again you have experience with machines so it might come in handy.

I'll have 2 men who are at it years for a days pay after I prep everything. I'll have another 4 or 5 men if needed. Will have all the materials and machinery needed. I think well manage to be honest with you.

How did you come up with 25tonnes? Is the calculation not 20x10x0.050 = 10 ton. What's the prices of tarmac these days per 10 or 20 ton loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

I'll have 2 men who are at it years for a days pay after I prep everything. I'll have another 4 or 5 men if needed. Will have all the materials and machinery needed. I think well manage to be honest with you.

How did you come up with 25tonnes? Is the calculation not 20x10x0.050 = 10 ton. What's the prices of tarmac these days per 10 or 20 ton loads.

You forgot to multiply in specific gravity of the tarmac . Are you sure you should go at this on your own if you can't calculate how much tarmac you need. You're out by about 60% using your calculations.

• Advertisement

I think you should bite the bullet on this and get it done and dont be wasting your time on BOARDS.ie,dont forget to throw up a few pictures of it. As you said you have two experienced men with you, if they are that experienced ask them for the formula to work out tonnage I presume one to rake and one to roll yeah?. Regarding prices ring your local quarry supplier, as I dont know where your located and transport will be a factor. Is it Tarmac your laying or Asphalt is it on your potholed lane or your driveway??

Car99 wrote: »
    You forgot to multiply in specific gravity of the tarmac . Are you sure you should go at this on your own if you can't calculate how much tarmac you need. You're out by about 60% using your calculations.

I think he should go at it he seems to be well prepared!!!

I think you should bite the bullet on this and get it done and dont be wasting your time on BOARDS.ie,dont forget to throw up a few pictures of it. As you said you have two experienced men with you, if they are that experienced ask them for the formula to work out tonnage I presume one to rake and one to roll yeah?. Regarding prices ring your local quarry supplier, as I dont know where your located and transport will be a factor. Is it Tarmac your laying or Asphalt is it on your potholed lane or your driveway??

I will ask them, for now I was asking on here! It won't be just 2 men, it'll be 2 men with experience plus a few others for labor who have experience with taking and leveling stones/ concrete etc.. along with experience on rollers, machines. We're aren't a bunch of buck eejits who will be going into something we know nothing about. The 2 men with experience will be well able to keep us right. I do get what your saying though, you don't know us from Adam and thinking it's set up for failure but with us all I'm confident enough we'll have it done to a good standard.

What really is it when you think about it. Spreading tarmac in time, raking to levels and rolling with 2 experienced men who have been doing it 15-20 years. Experienced machine drivers and experienced ground workers. There'll be at least 5-6 men on this job if needed. It ain't rocket science!

The local quarry that sells it is 7mins away. In the west.

As for the tonnage, what is the next to consider after I've worked out the sq area. Do you multiple it by 2 or other?

I will ask them, for now I was asking on here! It won't be just 2 men, it'll be 2 men with experience plus a few others for labor who have experience with taking and leveling stones/ concrete etc.. along with experience on rollers, machines. We're aren't a bunch of buck eejits who will be going into something we know nothing about. The 2 men with experience will be well able to keep us right. I do get what your saying though, you don't know us from Adam and thinking it's set up for failure but with us all I'm confident enough we'll have it done to a good standard.

What really is it when you think about it. Spreading tarmac in time, raking to levels and rolling with 2 experienced men who have been doing it 15-20 years. Experienced machine drivers and experienced ground workers. There'll be at least 5-6 men on this job if needed. It ain't rocket science!

As for the tonnage, what is the next to consider after I've worked out the sq area. Do you multiple it by 2 or other?

Ask the quarry what is the specific gravity of the tarmac they supply then multiply your calculated sqm by that. Probably 2.3 or 2.5 .

Ask the quarry what is the specific gravity of the tarmac they supply then multiply your calculated sqm by that. Probably 2.3 or 2.5 .

Its Density !!!

• Advertisement

Two experienced men is in no way sufficient, you will need at least 1 man raking 1 man on a roller another touching up where the roller cannot reach get into etc and the barrow men or screws men also need experience or else the raker/s will be slaughtered thats 4/5 minimum who know what they are at. When you say machines is it pavers?
    I told you the quantities 50mm over 200m2 = 23.8 tonnes exactly you will need 25 ton if its ready for 50mm exactly.. a tone of waste is the norm in this game we try to keep it at a minimum but weather wind temps etc. I always like to order 8% or so extra, no point in being short.

A tar gang consists of a minimum 6 men 2 on the roller tidying two raking and two wheeling, or 3 on the paver 1 on a shovel/rake two on roller tidying.

Its Density !!!

Sry Specific Density . i'm used to dealing specific gravity of fuels I wrote it without engaging my brain.

Sry Specific Density . i'm used to dealing specific gravity of fuels I wrote it without engaging my brain.

It happens us all..

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭caddy16

Getting a driveway done in Clare. Have gotten quotes from Hurley, Cummins & O'Gorman. If anyone has any feedback would appreciate it by PM. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Thinking of getting driveway done, but have no idea what ball park the price would be. Our driveway is 280m2.
    Is there any alternatives to tarmac that are just as good?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 sparks3000

Thinking of getting driveway done, but have no idea what ball park the price would be. Our driveway is 280m2.
    Is there any alternatives to tarmac that are just as good?

Hi just had a similar sized job done recently.
    The area was relatively level with a good hardcore base. The kerbing was all in place . Drainage was also in place.

There was half a days work to achieve correct falls using mill waste stone which was rolled extremely well.
    Another half day to put 2inches of stone mastic asphalt down . All done by a reputable contractor.

The total job including vat was approximately €22 per square metre.

I would budget between €6000 and €7000 for your project

• Registered Users Posts: 10,256 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Hi Sparks o/, could you send on your contractor details to me please when you have a sec?

sparks3000 wrote: »
    Hi just had a similar sized job done recently.
    The area was relatively level with a good hardcore base. The kerbing was all in place . Drainage was also in place.

There was half a days work to achieve correct falls using mill waste stone which was rolled extremely well.
    Another half day to put 2inches of stone mastic asphalt down . All done by a reputable contractor.

The total job including vat was approximately €22 per square metre.

I would budget between €6000 and €7000 for your project

Thanks for the reply. I expected it to be a bit dearer so thats good news.

Was your contractor in the south east by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 sparks3000

Correct the south east

• Registered Users Posts: 3 purpledaze

Any recommendations for tarmac contractor in West Galway

• Advertisement

sparks3000 wrote: »
    Correct the south east

Would you mind PM the details please

• Registered Users Posts: 27 AaronMic95

Hi Maynooth, what are your primary considerations for choosing which material should be used for your driveway? If it's the price, then you can probably check asphalt or gravel as well aside from tarmac. But I think you should also consider how it would look as it would definitely affect the overall aesthetics of your home. After that, I would recommend getting quotes from at least three companies to help you make a better decision since companies have different costing methods. Most importantly, I would also check the company's reputation through online reviews as well as client testimonials on their website and social media page. The last thing you would want to happen is to make the mistake of hiring based on the cheapest quote alone but end up having a subpar driveway. I saw this [Snip] that might help you get an idea how much it would cost to have a tarmac driveway. But I do recommend that you have these companies inspect your driveway and give you a quote because the current condition of your driveway is also an important factor for their quotes. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭celticbhoy

Hi folks, just reading through this thread with interest.

We have a large gravel driveway (8 inches deep) that is 1100 sq m in area.

I am wondering what is the most cost effective perminant surface?

What would the rough prices be for tarmac, SMA or imprinted concrete ?

Am I correct in assuming SMA is about €17 sq m? Would it be cheaper for a large area?

(Mayo / Galway border area)

Printed concrete wont be the cheapest.. tarmac will be cheapest follow by asphalt. If it just a long drive way maybe look at tar and chip.

Printed concrete wont be the cheapest.. tarmac will be cheapest follow by asphalt. If it just a long drive way maybe look at tar and chip.

I wouldnt waste any money on tar and chip, unless it was on a base course layer, utterly useless otherwise.

Has the price of tarmac dropped much with the drop in oil prices?

Has the price of tarmac dropped much with the drop in oil prices?

Not a cent, it never does. Id say it actually increased in some quarters because of C19, extra crew vans social distancing extra staff etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭caddy16

Hey macadam, appreciate your guidance. Have priced a couple of contractors in Clare area. One only doing SMA (40mm) coming in around €16 sqm. Other two charging €17/18 for tarmac (50mm). Asked one of the others about SMA and he said he charges €22 sqm - all are reputable companies.

Anything to worry about the SMA quote being cheaper than the other 2 for tarmac?

caddy16 wrote: »
    Hey macadam, appreciate your guidance. Have priced a couple of contractors in Clare area. One only doing SMA (40mm) coming in around €16 sqm. Other two charging €17/18 for tarmac (50mm). Asked one of the others about SMA and he said he charges €22 sqm - all are reputable companies.

Anything to worry about the SMA quote being cheaper than the other 2 for tarmac?

I would be worried about 40mm and also worried about €16 m2, youd probably end up with tarmac and 25 to 30mm finish...
    Pm me details of the contractor pls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Wab0607

Just wondering is the SMA all it's cracked up to be. Was speaking with an engineer at work about it and he said he would have reservations about it on a domestic driveway as it could become quite brittle due to its lack of flexibility. But a lot of the contractors are saying they wouldn't go with anything else. Thoughts?

Advertisement