Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tarmac drive price 600m2 .

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭FMG

Is it possible/ cost effective to tarmac over slightly concrete drive @ 24sq mtr ? I really do not want to take up the existing slab but would tarmac adhere to concrete ? looking for advice on what to price for.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Nicolas_Bandon

macadam wrote: »
    A picture or two would help.
    Is the work being done by machine or hand lay?
    Whats the make up of the drainage soak holes in lawn or connect to existing? Weeds?? Teat these yourself at least you know they are done.
    Forget about tar and chip.
    How much sma in total are they laying over the 400m2.

What's the problem with tar and chip?
    I'll send you pictures tomorrow and I'll ask if it's laid by machine or hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

What's the problem with tar and chip?
    I'll send you pictures tomorrow and I'll ask if it's laid by machine or hand.

The problem is it wont last, its a liquid bitumen coated with a 6 mm chip, normally used to surface dres an existing tarmaced road to extend its life.

FMG wrote: »
    Is it possible/ cost effective to tarmac over slightly concrete drive @ 24sq mtr ? I really do not want to take up the existing slab but would tarmac adhere to concrete ? looking for advice on what to price for.

Yes its possible, there is an adhesive called tack coat, Cationic emulsion if applied correctly and the concrete is unbroken you will not **** the new surface ( like sh1t to a blanket) and if the concrete is cracked or broken or has joints there are products to overcome this.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭FMG

Yes its possible, there is an adhesive called tack coat, Cationic emulsion if applied correctly and the concrete is unbroken you will not **** the new surface ( like sh1t to a blanket) and if the concrete is cracked or broken or has joints there are products to overcome this.
    Thats good to hear, it will be a while before I do it but I was dreading removing the conc. Any idea of the depth of tarmac I should be getting please. Thank you for the help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 prokofiev

Will SMA be more likely to prevent mare's tail growing through than tarmac?

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭ArrBee

So, I got a quote for SMA the other day that seems a bit high.

-Area quoted is 350m2
    -Some additional kerbing required, some already in place. Lets say 60% in place already.
    -Some small amount of ground works - leveling of existing compacted gravel.

Quote was for just under 10k all in.
    The tonnage was 38, but I didn't get a depth yet.

Is that price way off the mark?

ArrBee wrote: »
    So, I got a quote for SMA the other day that seems a bit high.

-Area quoted is 350m2
    -Some additional kerbing required, some already in place. Lets say 60% in place already.
    -Some small amount of ground works - leveling of existing compacted gravel.

Quote was for just under 10k all in.
    The tonnage was 38, but I didn't get a depth yet.

Is that price way off the mark?

38 tonnes will give you a compacted depth of 45mm over 350m2, I take its a machine lay job?
    How many kerbs to be laid ?
    Materials did take a rise of 7.5% and are probably going to go up again in September/October, thanks to Mr Trump.
    Whats the figure exactly does it include vat and where are you located?
    Seems a bit on the high side all the same but need more details

Thanks for the reply.
    I figured there would be more details needed.

I'm in the midlands Offaly/Westmeath.
    exact figure is 9700 and at this stage I am assuming it includes VAT.

Would machine laying be quicker/cheaper for the contractor in general?
    The area has good access so it could be done that way I'm sure.

part of the issue I will have in getting more pricing is that we want a patio done at the same time.
    I am guessing that until the patio is done, no "SMA only" price will be easy to get.
    Ideally I was hoping for one crowd to do the whole lot but am finding it really hard to find someone that can.

If Tarmac/SMA is that sort of money it may well sway me toward cobble lock instead.

ArrBee wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.
    I figured there would be more details needed.

I'm in the midlands Offaly/Westmeath.
    exact figure is 9700 and at this stage I am assuming it includes VAT.

Would machine laying be quicker/cheaper for the contractor in general?
    The area has good access so it could be done that way I'm sure.

part of the issue I will have in getting more pricing is that we want a patio done at the same time.
    I am guessing that until the patio is done, no "SMA only" price will be easy to get.
    Ideally I was hoping for one crowd to do the whole lot but am finding it really hard to find someone that can.

If Tarmac/SMA is that sort of money it may well sway me toward cobble lock instead.

Id imagine paving will cost you an awful lot more, depending on the type etc.

• Advertisement

yes it is about 50% more.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭MillyD123

Hi guys. My existing tarmac drive is down maybe 15-20 years (we bought the house 12 years ago ) and has a few potholes appearing. As well as gaps where the tarmac meets the kerb. Is resurfacing a viable option or does it need to be dug up again. ?

Any advice appreciated as pretty clueless. Also if any recommendations of contractors in Sourh East. Many thanks.

MillyD123 wrote: »
    Hi guys. My existing tarmac drive is down maybe 15-20 years (we bought the house 12 years ago ) and has a few potholes appearing. As well as gaps where the tarmac meets the kerb. Is resurfacing a viable option or does it need to be dug up again. ?

Any advice appreciated as pretty clueless. Also if any recommendations of contractors in Sourh East. Many thanks.

Can you post a picture or two, It may be possible to resurface, but I would like to check the sub base to make sure its fit to take at least 32 ton truck.

prokofiev wrote: »
    Will SMA be more likely to prevent mare's tail growing through than tarmac?

No it will grow through SMA same as it will tarmac.

Can you post a picture or two, It may be possible to resurface, but I would like

I’d appreciate that. Thank you. I’ll taje some pics in the morning and post them up.

http://s32.photobucket.com/user/DroneyM22/library/?view=recent

Can you post a picture or two, It may be possible to resurface, but I would like to check the sub base to make sure its fit to take at least 32 ton truck.

http://s32.photobucket.com/user/DroneyM22/library/?view=recent&page=1

Thanks Macadam -hope this works :-)

Pictures very small, but it should be Ok for surfacing
    Just make sure you get a good spray tack coat adhesive.

Thanks for you feedback macadam.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Nuphor

Wondering what kind of bill I'll be in for with quite a large driveway (~700SQM)?. Has a hardcore base already & kerbing, although the hardcore has been down for about 10 years and there are some uneven/pothole areas appearing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 gibbsongraham1

Hi macadam

I work in a mobile home park and we just had a guy in to look at putting down tarmacadam for a play area. This will be covered with artificial grass when done. We have already prep the ground with hardcore filling and then topped with 10m drainage stone. The guy who looked at the job said he would need to level off with screenings. My question is because this will be open tarmacadam (as he descibes it) to allow the water to soak tru. would the screenings he is going to add block the water from soaking down. The area he is laying is 352m2 and says it will take 35 ton.

Nuphor wrote: »
    Wondering what kind of bill I'll be in for with quite a large driveway (~700SQM)?. Has a hardcore base already & kerbing, although the hardcore has been down for about 10 years and there are some uneven/pothole areas appearing.

Guessing without seeing the drive €17 to €21 per m2 !!!

Hi macadam

I work in a mobile home park and we just had a guy in to look at putting down tarmacadam for a play area. This will be covered with artificial grass when done. We have already prep the ground with hardcore filling and then topped with 10m drainage stone. The guy who looked at the job said he would need to level off with screenings. My question is because this will be open tarmacadam (as he descibes it) to allow the water to soak tru. would the screenings he is going to add block the water from soaking down. The area he is laying is 352m2 and says it will take 35 ton.
    We have done some ball courts for schools which are permeable, but we still need to lay a screed of hardcore 20mm to run a paver on as open stone will keep moving. He is using 35 ton over 352m2 thats 10m2 to the tonne , so he has a finished depth of 40mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Nuphor

Guessing without seeing the drive €17 to €21 per m2 !!!

About what I was expecting, thanks macadam!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

Hi Macadam, I tried to send you a PM to ask if you had heard of a certain company since I didn’t want to mention their name publicly.

Unfortunately I can’t send the PM as it is telling me you have exceeded their stored private messages quota.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 30 gibbsongraham1

We have done some ball courts for schools which are permeable, but we still need to lay a screed of hardcore 20mm to run a paver on as open stone will keep moving. He is using 35 ton over 352m2 thats 10m2 to the tonne , so he has a finished depth of 40mm.

Thanks macadam, i was just a little concerned that water would not drain away if he covered the drainage stone with 804 or scrennings. He is laying by hand and has quoted for €6000 which i would think is about right?

FFred wrote: »
    Hi Macadam, I tried to send you a PM to ask if you had heard of a certain company since I didn’t want to mention their name publicly.

Unfortunately I can’t send the PM as it is telling me you have exceeded their stored private messages quota.

Cheers

Sorted, fire away..

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kingbhome

What is the price of a full load of tarmac plus how many square meters does a load cover at 50mm depth.

kingbhome wrote: »
    What is the price of a full load of tarmac plus how many square meters does a load cover at 50mm depth.

Your kinda asking a chicken and egg question!! A load can be anything from 1 ton to 32 ton depending on the size of truck...
    What area have you got to cover?

• Advertisement

Prices are/will be going up again..
    Bitumen on the up again, so your Tarmac/Asphalt driveway is going up in price in February approx 7.5%, if it doesnt you need to be very careful with your chosen contractor.
    All questions queries welcome...

Advertisement