Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tarmac drive price 600m2 .

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 ObserverOFlife

zorch wrote: »
    Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for a surface coating for a 15 year old Asphalt driveway? its become quite faded, starting to shed some chips

Any advice greatly appreciated

Thanks

only seeing this now.
    Bought a house 4 years ago. 100m2 of wretched looking, ravelling tarmac outside. Chip was about 5mm....it was covered in moss & muck & had about 3-4 inches of rutting along the kerbs( I.e. the tarmac gone & weed colonies insitu!)
    I was borderline about having it removed & relayed.
    However wanted to sort it myself & started researching online last year & came across a Smartseal product, a tarmac restorer. The key point is that this has acrylic properties which is always a necessity IMO.
    The woodies /ronseal PAINTS are a waste of time in my opinion. Wears in no time.
    Anyways, I treated the moss problem with a product called 'patio buster' it kills the moss & green algae in a few days. Then powerwashed it & when it was dry I wire brushed it all to get as many as possible of the moss spores still left. Then powerwashed again lightly.
    I then bought some bags of cold tar from the hardware & some bitumen primer. I painted the primer into the rut areas & a few recessed pot holes areas. Got a piece of 4x4 hardwood I had & hammer tamped the cold tar to compact it into the aforementioned areas.
    I then got tech 7 roof repair adhesive & put a bead of it along the line of the kerb & tar, this for me was to join the 2 areas to repel potential weed growth space.
    Key is to get a few dry days together....i then got a long pile roller & gave the driveway 2-3 coats of the restorer. With the first coat, in my case, I had to have a type of fencing paint brush handy to fill in the areas where the roller wasnt getting through to, which was little areas where the stone chips were missing etc.
    Have to say out turned out fanbloodytastic!!
    I cannot go out the front of the house since without people passing by stopping to chat about 'who layed your new tar & it looks great etc.'!! Even today I had someone onto me about it !! They cannot believe its 24year old tar restored.
    The beauty of the acrylic properties was that it bonded any of the weakened/loose chips!
    I bought a karcher push sweeper to keep the area clean & I swear I've bearly collected 10 loose chips in the whole year since I done the job & that's with 2 cars coming & going & kids playing on it..plus there is little to no visible tyre wear on the surface.
    At this stage I've been genuinely asked by 10 people to do their drives, but alas the kids have to be minded so I have no time!!
    I'll try to get around to uploading some photos to show the process...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

only seeing this now.
    Bought a house 4 years ago. 100m2 of wretched looking, ravelling tarmac outside. Chip was about 5mm....it was covered in moss & muck & had about 3-4 inches of rutting along the kerbs( I.e. the tarmac gone & weed colonies insitu!)
    I was borderline about having it removed & relayed.
    However wanted to sort it myself & started researching online last year & came across a Smartseal product, a tarmac restorer. The key point is that this has acrylic properties which is always a necessity IMO.
    The woodies /ronseal PAINTS are a waste of time in my opinion. Wears in no time.
    Anyways, I treated the moss problem with a product called 'patio buster' it kills the moss & green algae in a few days. Then powerwashed it & when it was dry I wire brushed it all to get as many as possible of the moss spores still left. Then powerwashed again lightly.
    I then bought some bags of cold tar from the hardware & some bitumen primer. I painted the primer into the rut areas & a few recessed pot holes areas. Got a piece of 4x4 hardwood I had & hammer tamped the cold tar to compact it into the aforementioned areas.
    I then got tech 7 roof repair adhesive & put a bead of it along the line of the kerb & tar, this for me was to join the 2 areas to repel potential weed growth space.
    Key is to get a few dry days together....i then got a long pile roller & gave the driveway 2-3 coats of the restorer. With the first coat, in my case, I had to have a type of fencing paint brush handy to fill in the areas where the roller wasnt getting through to, which was little areas where the stone chips were missing etc.
    Have to say out turned out fanbloodytastic!!
    I cannot go out the front of the house since without people passing by stopping to chat about 'who layed your new tar & it looks great etc.'!! Even today I had someone onto me about it !! They cannot believe its 24year old tar restored.
    The beauty of the acrylic properties was that it bonded any of the weakened/loose chips!
    I bought a karcher push sweeper to keep the area clean & I swear I've bearly collected 10 loose chips in the whole year since I done the job & that's with 2 cars coming & going & kids playing on it..plus there is little to no visible tyre wear on the surface.
    At this stage I've been genuinely asked by 10 people to do their drives, but alas the kids have to be minded so I have no time!!
    I'll try to get around to uploading some photos to show the process...

I would really like to see the end product, great write up.

macadam wrote: »
    I would really like to see the end product, great write up.

Got some photos I had

Before

Before 2

• Advertisement

Before 3

Washed & cleaned

• Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭micks_address

Looks good, probably the garden tidy up equally as impressive. I was expecting the drive to look worse before and a little darker after like new tar... it wasnt that bad to begin with?

Washed & cleaned

Rutting along edge

• Advertisement

During

After 2 coats

Finished

You can see the area where I filled the rutting holes with cold tar at end of my finger. & you'll notice the bead of tech7 along the kerb

• Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭micks_address

oh wow, i spoke too soon.. that looks great in fairness

oh wow, i spoke too soon.. that looks great in fairness

Sorry, it took ages to get the photos up!
    It can be hard to appreciate how bad it was in reality Vrs photos.

Yeah, really happy with it. You cant blame people for thinking it's newly laid tar!

Sorry, it took ages to get the photos up!
    It can be hard to appreciate how bad it was in reality Vrs photos.

Yeah, really happy with it. You cant blame people for thinking it's newly laid tar!

"Chapeau" great job you have done all round. If you do it every year if feasible it will last you a life time or every second year.. Again well done brilliant make over.

They reccomend a top up every 5 years..should also mention theres an anti slip additive in it too.

https://www.smartseal.ie/coatings/tarmac-sealer-restorer/tarmac-restorer_1.htm

https://allcrete.ie

The product I put on is from smartseal distributor above.
    I think a company called Allcrete do a near similar product.
    20litre drum does about 40-60m2 & costs around €150 per drum. I used about 2.5 drums in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭redmagic68

Would you normally seal between SMA and a concrete kerb to prevent weeds growing between them?
    If so what’s the best wait to do it?

8.4 kwp east/west Louth,6kw sofar, 9.6kwh batt

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Excuse my lack of knowledge but what’s the difference between regular tarmac and SMA?
    I’ve been quoted €7,200 for tarmac and €8,300. Is SMA worth the extra €1100?

• Advertisement

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Excuse my lack of knowledge but what’s the difference between regular tarmac and SMA?
    I’ve been quoted €7,200 for tarmac and €8,300. Is SMA worth the extra €1100?

Yes it is well worth it if your getting the correct finished depth, there is more binder and an added fibre to strengthen the material, is it being hand laid or machine laid?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Yes it is well worth it if your getting the correct finished depth, there is more binder and an added fibre to strengthen the material, is it being hand laid or machine laid?

I don’t know tbh, but it’s one of the big contractors in the west so I’d imagine it’s machine laid.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I don’t know tbh, but it’s one of the big contractors in the west so I’d imagine it’s machine laid.

No prob just some of the SMA's are hard to hand lay, depending on the fibres.
    I would go with the sma, if you need anything else drop me a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 SirustheVirus

What is this working out at per sq metre? I am also looking for quotes from good contractors in east Galway area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Any recommendations for contractor in Meath area. I have about 375m2 all kerbing and drainage finished. Just need drain covers and some kerbs? where it meets the road. Really appreciate all the advice given by macadam. Thank you. By the way what is the going rate for SMA ?

sy wrote: »
    Any recommendations for contractor in Meath area. I have about 375m2 all kerbing and drainage finished. Just need drain covers and some kerbs? where it meets the road. Really appreciate all the advice given by macadam. Thank you. By the way what is the going rate for SMA ?

What part of meath are you in, Meath tarmac you wont go far wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Buddy15

I got 3 quotes for a 400m2 driveway:
    Ideal Driveways and Patios: €4500 for tar & chip, €8000 for tarmacadam
    Walsh & O'Mahony: €8285 for tarmacadam
    RCM tarmacadam: €5448 for tar & chip, €7814 for tarmacadam

All prices are vat inc.
    How long will tar & chip and tarmacadam last?

Who did you go with in the end? I’m looking for someone to do tar in the area at the moment and I have priced two of these companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Buddy15

Anyone with experience of RCM or OMahony Walsh in west cork please ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

What part of meath are you in, Meath tarmac you wont go far wrong.

Thanks very much macadam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 MindingMice

Can anyone advise on how suitable Tar & Chip or Tarmac/SMA is for a driveway with a gradient of more than 10%?
    The driveway is in a back garden that leads down to a slipway so there is very little use expected. However I would like to pull a boat on a trailer up/down a couple of times a year. The max weight of the boat/trailer load would be 2 tonnes plus another 2 for the jeep pulling it.

I am waiting on a quote from a local supplier for both but he has advised that I might be better going for a concrete driveway instead. He tells me the tarmac would only be 50mm deep and that it would probably not hold up to the weight of pulling the boat up - or that it could wear down significantly over time.

I’ve got 200m2 of a driveway and although I haven’t got an exact measurement on the driveway gradient it looks to be at least 10% and in one part is almost 20%. I’ll be able to get the boat & trailer up alright but I don’t know if the Tarmac will hold up.

Thanks.

Advertisement