Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cities around the world that are reducing car access

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    The rate at which cars can be towed is very low considering the time required to hook up the car, bring it to a suitable location and unhook it. You'd need a large number of tow vehicles in operation which would be a significant cost. There is also the issue that some vehicles can't be towed like HGVs. Simply ticketing vehicles would enable maximum productivity from enforcement staff which will see a far greater proportion of offenders punished. You could cut the cost of clamps, and potentially clamping vehicles too, allowing more staff within the same budget. The greater the chance of being caught, the less people who will park illegally.

We should be looking at ways of collecting fines from those who won't pay themselves, getting Revenue involved is probably the most effective way. Id also look at preventing people from taxing the car if there is an outstanding fine, thereby creating more trouble and greater cost and punishment for the offender would also help. I suggested photos of the offending car as a method of preventing frivolous appeals from the offender.

Overstaying parking limits, ticket, fine.

But obstructing a footpath, cycle lane, bus lane, bus stop loading bay etc. - towing is the best option, to remove the obstruction ASAP.

Heavy fines needed even for ticketing IMO. Currently it's something pathetic like 40 euro for blocking a cycle lane. Ridiculous.

I once had a driver tell me, absolutely delighted with himself, that he parks in bike lanes as it works out cheaper as he's very rarely caught anyway, and had them thrown out in court.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Apparently this is the work of a councillor :rolleyes:...

https://twitter.com/donna_cooney1/status/1278017874066640898?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Overstaying parking limits, ticket, fine.

But obstructing a footpath, cycle lane, bus lane, bus stop loading bay etc. - towing is the best option, to remove the obstruction ASAP.

Heavy fines needed even for ticketing IMO. Currently it's something pathetic like 40 euro for blocking a cycle lane. Ridiculous.

I once had a driver tell me, absolutely delighted with himself, that he parks in bike lanes as it works out cheaper as he's very rarely caught anyway, and had them thrown out in court.

Towing doesn't remove the obstruction ASAP, it takes a long time to hitch up the car, move to a suitable location (if that is a centralised location it is probably out of the city taking time to get to and back, if it is dumping the car in a proper parking space then time is spent looking for one), then removing the car and getting back into city centre to look for another victim. Can't see a tow truck doing any more than two cars per hour. How many do you need in operation for it to be effect? In many cases, issuing a fine and the driver then moving the vehicle will be quicker than a tow truck hooking it up and moving it. The heavier vehicles wont be suitable for towing anyway and they cause a lot of the disruption.

The last part of your post shows why ticketing is better. Towing and clamping are inefficient and as such the chances of getting caught are low - many drivers will accept getting caught once or twice a year due to the savings they make by not paying for parking. Ticketing is far more efficient, it only takes a couple of minutes to upload the fine so many vehicles can be hit every hour. It also has lower overheads (no clamps, tow truck, they don't even need a van) so could possibly have more staff at same cost. If the chances of getting fined increase significantly, less people will take the risk. That is how you change behavour. Get clamped/towed once in a blue moon is not enough of a deterrent for many people.

You are right about fines being pitifully low. A good hefty fine along with an effective system of extracting the money is needed. I'm sure there a lots of ways of doing it. Penalty points for repeat offenders is

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Towing, clamping, penalty points...no need.

What we need is a legion of traffic wardens that can blanket the city with parking tickets constantly. Ruthless punishment, with a constant, predictably widespread presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

MJohnston wrote: »
    Towing, clamping, penalty points...no need.

What we need is a legion of traffic wardens that can blanket the city with parking tickets constantly. Ruthless punishment, with a constant, predictably widespread presence.

Yip, only if ignorant drivers think there is a parking enforcement person in camouflage hiding up every tree, behind every bin and under every dog turd ready to pounce will they think twice about causing an obstruction.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,390 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't think you even need to go that far. it's the fear of the chance of getting caught, rather than the fear of the certainty of getting caught, which is enough.
    i.e. you can abandon your car at will in dublin without fear at the moment, but if you had a reasonable fear you might be caught, it'd put most people off straight away, and that doesn't need an army.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

i don't think you even need to go that far. it's the fear of the chance of getting caught, rather than the fear of the certainty of getting caught, which is enough.
    i.e. you can abandon your car at will in dublin without fear at the moment, but if you had a reasonable fear you might be caught, it'd put most people off straight away, and that doesn't need an army.

That, and a far larger fine. Especially for cycle lane and footpath parking. Current amounts are paltry.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

That, and a far larger fine. Especially for cycle lane and footpath parking. Current amounts are paltry.

Indeed, there's larger fines for not cleaning up after your dog.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,390 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

was just out in malahide, herself fancied fish'n'chips and a walk on the beach.
    i knew the signs were there, but it was a little disheartening to see an anti-pedestrianisation sign in the window of nearly every independent business on new street.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

This was a year ago today. And DCC will finally trial pedestrianisation of SWS this weekend. Owen Keegan is on record saying these trials will likely be made permanent.

https://twitter.com/streetsare4ppl/status/1285130920677318657?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Anyone have a sneaking suspicion these trials are going ahead now so the depleted Covid numbers can be blamed on the pedestrianisation and declared a failure so they have a ready made excuse for business as usual for another few years?

i understood that many of the traders were more than happy to see the pedestrianisation, certainly in the context of south william street.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Thargor wrote: »
    Anyone have a sneaking suspicion these trials are going ahead now so the depleted Covid numbers can be blamed on the pedestrianisation and declared a failure so they have a ready made excuse for business as usual for another few years?

I think it's more to do with less car traffic so less impact on car traffic and thus less negativity and blowback from the changes. That's not really the case any more but it was when a lot of this was announced. Plus, the Coronavirus is a great excuse to do this stuff. They can say we need extra space for social distancing so we have no choice. It's in the interest of public health and slowing the spread of the disease. Yada yada yada etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,550 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

To be honest, the scheme around Grafton Street is one that could work well in the long term, given that car park access is maintained.

Similar hours to Grafton Street, ensuring that deliveries are facilitated should be possible.

I’ve always felt that with a little compromise, an acceptable solution could be found.

The extended pavement at the bus stops on College Green is much better than before, and should probably continue up to the last bus stop before Sth. Great George’s St.

As a bus passenger, I have to say that the wands along Rathmines Road heading south are a dream come true, with the nightly post 7pm car parking now consigned to history. It was a nightmare for buses and cyclists. The wands at Rathgar Village also make a big difference.

I’m not so sure about some of the measures in the suburbs - Malahide certainly seems to be very divisive locally, and I have serious misgivings about the revised bus routes in Dundrum, which seem to have been designed on the back of an envelope to fit around the proposed one way system, without any consideration for connectivity, integration and (in the case of the 14) the potential impact on journey times along the rest of the route.

LXFlyer wrote: »
    I’m not so sure about some of the measures in the suburbs - Malahide certainly seems to be very divisive locally
    i've found a couple of times that the anti side are usually way more vocal than the pro side on any issue like this, and having been out there twice since the change (after 6pm both times) it seemed to be working well.
    jimmy guerin has jumped ship to the 'pro' side, interestingly. and it certainly seems the opposition was not split 50/50 against those for it.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/prominent-independent-councillor-jimmy-guerin-18660468

• Registered Users Posts: 17,550 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

i've found a couple of times that the anti side are usually way more vocal than the pro side on any issue like this, and having been out there twice since the change (after 6pm both times) it seemed to be working well.
    jimmy guerin has jumped ship to the 'pro' side, interestingly. and it certainly seems the opposition was not split 50/50 against those for it.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/prominent-independent-councillor-jimmy-guerin-18660468

Well I was just making the point that opinion was divided in Malahide which that article seems to back up, but I'll refrain from speculating on the margin of division as I'm not close enough to the area.

I suspect though that it is the daytime period that is causing the division more than anything else.

Hyperbole, OTT reactions, and frankly abuse, from both sides unfortunately tend to dominate social media and the news outlets on any project (just look at BusConnects infrastructure for example), and I try to ignore it, looking for more reasoned arguments on either side. That can be difficult!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭JohnC.

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/review-of-the-highway-code-to-improve-road-safety-for-cyclists-pedestrians-and-horse-riders

UK conducting a review of the Highway Code, to hopefully improve matters for pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭JohnC.

The Grafton Street area trials have been extended to the end of the month, due to "extremely positive feedback".

somewhat relevant:

Covid-19 brings with it some good for certain European cities – but not Dublin

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/covid-19-brings-with-it-some-good-for-certain-european-cities-but-not-dublin-1.4347976

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Kinda depressing reading that article. I was in town the other day, and although it's lovely around Grafton St and the area where they trialed pedestrianisation - Dame St, O'Connell, the quays, pretty much all of the northside are just not very hospitable to people. Traffic everywhere and clutter all over the place. If you compare it to European cities it's like chalk and cheese. They should at least try and turn the Grafton St area into a car free more relaxed zone, as a start. And grow it from there. I wont hold my breath though. It doesn't help that it's completely unaffordable to live in or around the city centre for most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Author is Paul Kearns a former planner with Dublin City Council so understand why Dublin was just cited, other Citys in Ireland though are experiencing similar issue like Galway and Limerick but perhaps not to the same degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Bus connects just perpetuates the urban sprawl.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Chiparus wrote: »

Bus Connects will improve public transport for people living within the M50 as much as, if not more than, those who are not. The cycling aspects will disproportionately benefit those within the M50.

Public transport improvements may induce sprawl, but it is a much more sustainable sprawl than the likes we've seen along the N7 or N11.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Chiparus wrote: »
    More so than the current car culture?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

In fairness, having read numerous Jacobs reports throughout the years, including most recently ones produced for DART+ and Metrolink, I've found them all to be very sensible and public transport/rail focused, without a hint of car focus.

They were also heavily involved with Luas.

They have been heavily involved in rail/Metro projects throughout the US and Europe. In particular High Speed Rail projects. The Channel Tunnel, HS2 in the UK, HSR throughout China, etc.

For Metrolink they partnered with Idom, a Spanish company with lots of Metro specific experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭River Suir

bk wrote: »
    In fairness, having read numerous Jacobs reports throughout the years, including most recently ones produced for DART+ and Metrolink, I've found them all to be very sensible and public transport/rail focused, without a hint of car focus.

They were also heavily involved with Luas.

They have been heavily involved in rail/Metro projects throughout the US and Europe. In particular High Speed Rail projects. The Channel Tunnel, HS2 in the UK, HSR throughout China, etc.

For Metrolink they partnered with Idom, a Spanish company with lots of Metro specific experience.

For the sake of balance it was a Jacobs consultant who came up with the wheeze of the NX bus to replace the M3 Parkway to Navan railway.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

River Suir wrote: »
    For the sake of balance it was a Jacobs consultant who came up with the wheeze of the NX bus to replace the M3 Parkway to Navan railway.

So what? As has been discussed here on this forum many times, rail to Navan faces serious challenges.

They found that the demand from the Navan area wouldn't justify the 300 million cost. And it probably doesn't, not in the short to mid term anyway.

Plus, they didn't come up with the idea of the NX. That came from NTA/DoT, Jacobs were just asked to compare it with the rail options.

So are we going to ignore their involvement in Luas, Metrolink, Dart+, just because they found one proposed rail project didn't justify the cost and that there was an alternative.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭River Suir

bk wrote: »
    So what? As has been discussed here on this forum many times, rail to Navan faces serious challenges.

They found that the demand from the Navan area wouldn't justify the 300 million cost. And it probably doesn't, not in the short to mid term anyway.

Plus, they didn't come up with the idea of the NX. That came from NTA/DoT, Jacobs were just asked to compare it with the rail options.

So are we going to ignore their involvement in Luas, Metrolink, Dart+, just because they found one proposed rail project didn't justify the cost and that there was an alternative.

It’s not just Navan that has been shortchanged by Jacobs, the Cork and Limerick transportation strategies are very bus and road oriented where they could have given more serious consideration to adding rail to the mix.

We will have to agree to disagree on whether Navan has been screwed over totally by the bus fans in the NTA...

Advertisement