Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

blood type test

Ah ok. GP should have a record of that to save op's expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Cases up again.

And?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,649 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Cases up again.
    And testing increasing massively - great news.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Eod100 wrote: »
    Sorry meant, what is it testing? Presence of antibodies or for the virus itself?

Blood group testing

Seamai wrote: »
    What's the thinking behind the severity and blood group theory? Which groups are supposed to be more affected?

I think blood group A gets it severe and blood group O doesn't get it as bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Seamai wrote: »
    What's the thinking behind the severity and blood group theory? Which groups are supposed to be more affected?

There were reports back in March, I can't find them now, but it fizzled out as it was initially based on a very small number and didn't hold up under further scrutiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,696 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Cases up again.

What does a post like this add to the thread? They're up fractionally due to increased testing

• Registered Users Posts: 35,894 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

If you take 7 EU countries that add up to same population of USA, you'd find it would add up to far more deaths than the USA have had.
    USA is finding 100's of 1000's of positives results of covid of late, but very few deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,012 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

If you take 7 EU countries that add up to same population of USA, you'd find it would add up to far more deaths than the USA have had.
    USA is finding 100's of 1000's of positives results of covid of late, but very few deaths.

I think you will find the US is just getting started, though.

Seems it's spreading among the youth of America, with lil effect to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

But it hasn't even started in the US yet, only New York and New Jersey have had it so far

cnocbui wrote: »
    I think you will find the US is just getting started, though.

I don't see that at all. Can't see them getting to 4000 deaths a day again. Herd immunity is well and truly started there. Millions of younger people have it there already I'd say. Spreading like wild fire, but not affecting those getting it.

Give it three or four weeks for deaths catch up with the spike in new cases. Plus, have a look at the stats for additional deaths due to pneumonia in the US over the past two months.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,900 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

They throwing Covid parties and we are allowing Yanks into Ireland

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Just had a walk on Henry street and a charming local skankette hilariously coughed at me when passing...is this a thing again has the last 3 months happened ..... streets packed with people drinking did I ****in dream lockdown...

This brood mare skank is too stupid to realise that its probably gonna be her who'll infect her gran etc ...but FFS what kind of sh@t are these people breedin

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    There were reports back in March, I can't find them now, but it fizzled out as it was initially based on a very small number and didn't hold up under further scrutiny.
    https://www.healthline.com/health-news/does-your-blood-type-increase-your-risk-for-coronavirus

It's like the UK yesterday, 90% of people packing out pubs were younger, they'll spread it among themselves, but with little harm to themselves, but the old wiser people are still taking care and are not mixing.

I don't see that at all. Can't see them getting to 4000 deaths a day again. Herd immunity is well and truly started there. Millions of younger people have it there already I'd say. Spreading like wild fire, but not affecting those getting it.

How, when they are finding more and more positive cases can you project that to herd immunity kicking in? I'd be interested in the logic there, as the figures point elsewhere and the numbers critical in hospitals at the moment say otherwise.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    They throwing Covid parties and we are allowing Yanks into Ireland

Yep, should be 2 week quarantine coming into Ireland, for the USA at least.

Blood group testing

Ah gotcha. Your GP should have a records of that in your file so might save you the expense if you haven't ordered yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Eod100 wrote:
    Ah ok. GP should have a record of that to save ops expense.
    Not necessarily.

People who get their blood grouped would include those who have
    - donated blood
    - had an operation
    - been pregnant
    - needed a transfusion

Not many people know or have a record of their blood type.

It's like the UK yesterday, 90% of people packing out pubs were younger, they'll spread it among themselves, but with little harm to themselves, but the old wiser people are still taking care and are not mixing.

Until the young lad passes it to a shop or bar worker who passed it to their parents or neighbour.
    And the talk of little harm to themselves is frankly irresponsible and at odds with the seriously ill younger people due to the virus,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Personally no but what if they are responsible for the death of a loved one.

Has this not been the point it's not about getting it it's about not giving it to someone else.

I don't want to pass it on to my colleagues or people I deal with in work . For the slight effort of personal responsibility and common decency I believe I have done all I can to avoid being responsible for someone else getting ill

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Give it three or four weeks for deaths catch up with the spike in new cases. Plus, have a look at the stats for additional deaths due to pneumonia in the US over the past two months.

It already has been 3 or 4 weeks since the most recent spike started in some places and deaths are still nowhere near new york levels. For example, when new york was seeing 10,000 cases a day, their deaths per day at the same time were already in the high hundreds or over 1000. Florida is up there is daily cases at this stage but is yet to see 100 deaths in a day.

I dont doubt deaths are going to rise but hopefully not to the level we saw in new york. There is something else going on IMO, whether its a better treatments or a younger demographic or maybe even a less virulent but more contagious strain.

Does you have a link to the actual data about pneumonia deaths?

Ah gotcha. Your GP should have a records of that in your file so might save you the expense if you haven't ordered yet!

It was a cheap enough test anyway, under 20 euro including delivery. So not bad.

Not necessarily.

People who get their blood grouped would include those who have
    - donated blood
    - had an operation
    - been pregnant
    - needed a transfusion

Not many people know or have a record of their blood type.

Ah thought it was routine to have it on file in case patient needed transfusion or operation urgenently but stand corrected then!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

JJayoo wrote: »
    Where can you find the individual county breakdown of numbers?

Covid-19 Ireland dashboard, gives you the daily tally for each county:

https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Ah thought it was routine to have it on file in case patient needed transfusion or operation urgenently but stand corrected then!

I only know my blood type from when I was pregnant. I checked through all my daughters birth documentation to see if it was noted on there from her heel prick test but there is no note of what type she is, so I guess its something that isnt routinely checked or recorded without reason.

How, when they are finding mire and more positive cases can you project that to herd immunity kicking in? I'd be interested in the logic there, as the figures point elsewhere and the numbers critical in hospitals at the moment say otherwise.

50,000 new cases a day there, that they find... but its closer to 500,00 a day getting it daily, and only 320m in USA.

But even at 50,000 cases a day, even for last 6 days equals 300,000 , and they say 1 can infect 20,so that could be 6m every 6 days

its going on so long now, running out of people to infect, only 320m in USA.
    The herd is well and truly infected, and in two weeks they'll recover and they'll be immune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

I thought they still werent sure if herd immunity is possible r if we can constantly pass it back and forth like we do with the common cold?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement