Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling on paths and other cycling issues (updated title)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

micar wrote: »
    In fairness, this is a non story as she can apply for a residents permit.
    And in fairness to her those possible permits have been reduced from 7 to 4 spots. More than a hint of tough on her about this post.

Is the point that cyclists are being restricted from cycling on footpaths because of bad parking and such?

ecoli3136 wrote: »
    Is the point that cyclists are being restricted from cycling on footpaths because of bad parking and such?

It seems to be that Ireland should introduce cycle lanes that overrule all other users so the cyclist never has to stop or yield regardless of where or how far the journey.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,767 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

was that claim made in the thread? i must have missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,652 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's parked at a bus stop with an advertising poster, that's what they do. Common sense suggests he'll next get out and replace it or has just done so. Not disputing the others but all road users have to deal with that nonsense. No journey is as simple as pointing a wheel or wheels in the direction you want to go.

I'm aware of the JC Decaux contract with Dublin Bus for maintaining advertising at bus stops. Perhaps we have very different understandings of 'common sense'.

Parking at bus stops is a big problem for bus services. It stops buses from properly accessing bus stops, and stops them from using the ramps that have been fitted and maintained at considerable expense. This makes it impossible for wheelchair users to enter or exit the bus, and makes it more difficult for everyone who is entering or exiting the steps.

To me, common sense would suggest that a contractor being paid by Dublin Bus wouldn't block Dublin Bus bus stops at all. It would also suggest that at a bus stop like this, beside a wide, empty car park, it is particularly crass and inconsiderate to block the bus stop, when the alternative, free parking available is probably actually closer to the advertising signs than the bus stop parking. It would also suggest that, even if the JCD guy DOES decide to block to bus stop to update the adverts, they would do so for the minimum amount of time, and wouldn't sit in that parking spot, delaying buses, for any longer than absolutely necessary.
    ecoli3136 wrote: »

Thanks for asking. The point is that the frequency and extend of illegal pavement parking is a much more significant inconvenience and danger for pedestrians than the pavement cycling mentioned by the OP.

• Advertisement

It seems to be that Ireland should introduce cycle lanes that overrule all other users so the cyclist never has to stop or yield regardless of where or how far the journey.

There was no mention of introducing cycle lanes in recent posts, so I've no idea where you got that from.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

When Renko invites someone over for dinner he doesn't bore them with slideshows of his holidays, he bores them with slideshows of cars parked on footpaths instead...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

is_that_so wrote: »
    And in fairness to her those possible permits have been reduced from 7 to 4 spots. More than a hint of tough on her about this post.

https://twitter.com/Fingalcoco/status/1279340505969680390?s=19

Of course there's idiots complaining this is all because of the cyclist lobby, the Mafia that they are.

was that claim made in the thread? i must have missed it.

194 pages littered with people moaning that they have to stop and yield when using cycle lanes and then people, including yourself suggesting that this is why you use the road. While all ignoring that the road has zebra crossings, pedestrian crossings, junctions and yield signs.

You can deny it and I'm not quoting all of it but you don't even need to go further than page 190. You yourself are pointing out the entrance and exit to kealys as a reason to not use the cycle Lane but ignore the pedestrian crossings and junction that exists see the same location.

You've a massive comprehension problem, and you double down on it.

• Advertisement

random aside, but there's a bus lane past our house. it's only happened maybe four times in seven or eight years, but i've had buses drive up my arse and try to bully me out of the bus lane when i'm trying to reverse into the driveway.
    i.e. i stop just past the driveway, stick the car in reverse, and the bus behind drives right up behind me and starts flashing at me to get out of the way. has led to some rather farcical exchanges with bus drivers ('you should have stuck your reversing lights on before you passed your driveway, to let me know')

Presumable you had your indicator on?

Hurrache wrote: »
    You've a massive comprehension problem, and you double down on it.

I don't think so. I pointed out a nice cycle Lane and it was dismissed because it's not absolutely continuous. Was that not correct? 2 users both complained that there's an entrance and exit to a carpark. The entrance bring st the same location as a pedestrian crossing and junction was ignored.

My point remains, all users Ned to stop and yield on their journeys.

So you tell me, what is it that all 194 pages can't be shortened into? What do you want in a cycle Lane? That will it take for you to use them and be happy?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,767 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

194 pages littered with people moaning that they have to stop and yield when using cycle lanes and then people, including yourself suggesting that this is why you use the road. While all ignoring that the road has zebra crossings, pedestrian crossings, junctions and yield signs.
    as per the comment about comprehension above, you are treating a perfectly legitimate 'i don't want to be treated as a second class road user' complaint with 'i want everything and more'.

Presumable you had your indicator on?
    of course i did.

Just to be clear, what you describe as 'moaning that they have to stop and yield' is actually pointing out the ludicrous nature of a cycle lane with a yield sign every 2m or 3m approx. That's a bit different, isn't it? You've never experienced that as a driver, have you?
    Ok so, what do you want from cycle lanes?

Why don't we start with what we don't want;

https://irishcycle.com/2015/11/05/images-25-reasons-why-cyclists-dont-use-cycle-lanes/

Ok so, what do you want from cycle lanes?

It has been made clear and obvious on numerous occasions on this thread, people have even posted pics and vids of them, but the kool kids are just too chill to look at them. It's been made clear and obvious as to what the issues are with existing ones.

Just to be clear, what you describe as 'moaning that they have to stop and yield' is actually pointing out the ludicrous nature of a cycle lane with a yield sign every 2m or 3m approx. That's a bit different, isn't it? You've never experienced that as a driver, have you?

Why don't we start with what we don't want;

https://irishcycle.com/2015/11/05/images-25-reasons-why-cyclists-dont-use-cycle-lanes/

No, let's not. Let's start with what you do want.

It has been made clear and obvious on numerous occasions on this thread, people have even posted pics and vids of them, but the kool kids are just too chill to look at them. It's been made clear and obvious as to what the issues are with existing ones.

So, that's 2 users asked a direct question and both can only reply with more complaints.

as per the comment about comprehension above, you are treating a perfectly legitimate 'i don't want to be treated as a second class road user' complaint with 'i want everything and more'.

Again, how is the cycle Lane at the airport not acceptable?

So, that's 2 users asked a direct question and both can only reply with more complaints.

It's all in thread, your questions have been answered.

• Advertisement

Again, how is the cycle Lane at the airport not acceptable?

It was explained to you, you're forced by the letter of the law to get off your bike, push a button, wait for a green man, walk across a couple of roads, then get on your bike again. Ironically on the street view there's a lady cycling on the pedestrian crossing which would outrage people. And that's just that one junction.

No, let's not. Let's start with what you do want.

OK then. We want cycle lanes that don't look like these ones, and aren't covered with parked cars, broken glass, mushy leaves and dogs being walked on extendable leads;

Or if you want to explore a specific example, follow this thread;

https://twitter.com/dlrcycling/status/1278987904610717696

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

So all the whinging about how bad it is for cyclists and how terrible infrastructure is and at the same time claiming that your interest groups are successful in their approach and that dumping images and twitter links in the thread works.

Obviously. I think we'll have flying cars before you manage to achieve something.

meeeeh wrote: »
    So all the whinging about how bad it is for cyclists and how terrible infrastructure is and at the same time claiming that your interest groups are successful in their approach and that dumping images and twitter links in the thread works.

Obviously. I think we'll have flying cars before you manage to achieve something.

It's bad when you have to make stuff up to try bolster an argument you're trying to make.

Best you bow out of the thread to save yourself from further embarrassment.

You haven't seen what's happened on the North Quays then, or Blackrock, or the plans for Dundrum villiage or Seapoint?

Would be better to spend money on funding flying cars,sure then the MAMILs would have the roads to themselves!

A tabloid reader in the belief that all cyclists are male and middle aged shocker.

A tabloid reader in the belief that all cyclists are male and middle aged shocker.

It was a joke. Are you as easily triggered in everyday life?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

It's bad when you have to make stuff up to try bolster an argument you're trying to make.

Best you bow out of the thread to save yourself from further embarrassment.

Your insults got a lot more personal lately. I like it when hypocrisy is gone and true personality is revealed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Casey78 wrote: »
    It was a joke. Are you as easily triggered in everyday life?

Fanatical behavior .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement