Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling on paths and other cycling issues (updated title)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Yes I possibly am, you are correct. You know there's also a polite why to conduct yourself in a discussion too, why you would you choose to get other peoples back's up I guess is beyond me.

Do you drive or cycle? Then you should be aware of the basics of the road. If you've only ever been a pedestrian then maybe you might be forgiven for the confusion but even pedestrians should know the basics.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

They don't have junctions that you need to give right of way at?

The beef raised is having to give right of way. This occurs in the path, cycle lanes or roads. Correct?

Are you purposely or pretending you don't know what the issue is?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,934 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Where the priority of the roads isn't marked then yes, as in numerous housing and industrial estates, they are called unmarked junctions.

Bull****. I would not yield for every single driveway in a housing estate, marked or unmarked.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Do you drive or cycle? Then you should be aware of the basics of the road. If you've only ever been a pedestrian then maybe you might be forgiven for the confusion but even pedestrians should know the basics.

I should be more aware of the basics, you’re right, and I do appreciate being corrected on a mistake.

Stark wrote: »
    Bull****. I would not yield for every single driveway in a housing estate, marked or unmarked.

I never said I yield for driveways, I said I prepare to yield at unmarked junctions, as all road users should.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,934 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I never said I yield for driveways, I said I prepare to yield at unmarked junctions, as all road users should.

Well you answered a different question to the one I asked then didn't you.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

You have to yield to every single driveway and side road while driving along the main road?
    Where the priority of the roads isn't marked then yes, as in numerous housing and industrial estates, they are called unmarked junctions.

I take it that you are the type of road user that assumes a road is the main road without any indication of that fact.
    Well you answered a different question to the one I asked then didn't you.

Really, looks to me that I answered it, perhaps you were looking for a lengthier answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,535 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

No I'm saying I have to yield or prepare to yield in numerous places, you seem to think it needs a sign to be required, you're a danger to yourself and other road users.

Where exactly did I say this?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Really, looks to me that I answered it, perhaps you were looking for a lengthier answer.
    You're just being deliberately thick, its been explained to you 50 times that its easier to stay on the smooth fast uninterrupted road and not have to wobble along over humps and bumps on a painted footpath covered in drains/lamposts/kerbs/bus stops and debris having to yield to every exit and driveway and you're claiming its the same for cars on Irish roads?

Stop talking sh!t, you're not even interested in making a coherent point, all that matters is you have the last word no matter how 100% wrong you are.

Anyway, can we get back to the original issue of obstructions on pavements?

Look at how the KeyWaste skip driver throws his truck up on the path, ignoring the dad with two young kids that he passed seconds earlier, causing them to have to cross the busy road with almost no visibility to oncoming traffic.

You'll probably need to go fullscreen to see it properly.

https://streamable.com/cx87cw

But yeah, cyclists....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

• Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

She should keep a Brompton or an e-scooter in the boot for those difficult last 10 minute walks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

My guess is she lives in Malahide!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

About the yield signs, as a motorist you do sometimes have to accommodate people coming out of side entrances.

https://www.drivingtesttips.biz/creep-and-peep.html

If a driver approaching from a driveway or side road does not have good visibility, they may have to creep-and-peep. As a motorist approaching this, you should be observing anything like this and be prepared to accommodate someone who is doing so. The need for other road users to "creep and peep" may be behind some of those cycle lanes having yield signs. At any rate:

1) Accommodating another road user with limited visibility is just a good idea overall.
    2) Yield signs do not require you to stop unless there is someone to yield to - so if you're on a side street with 100 houses and 100 yield signs, you'll rarely have to stop because people aren't going in and out of their driveways all the time.

Hurrache wrote: »
    Are you purposely or pretending you don't know what the issue is?

Are you deliberately pretending that by using the road instead of the cycle Lane than lights, zebra crossings and junctions don't apply?

I'm well aware of the gripe, I find it unrealistic

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,545 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

SeanW wrote: »
    About the yield signs, as a motorist you do sometimes have to accommodate people coming out of side entrances.
    give me some context to this, not including rush hour traffic where the traffic is at walking pace.
    how often do you think an irish motorist doing 50km/h (or even 30km/h) would stop for someone without right of way to let them out?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,545 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

anyway, i'm not sure what road people are talking about above (in terms of bike lanes and yielding) but the cycle path past the airport road i think twice calls on cyclists to yield to motorists entering/leaving a pub car park. like **** will i use a cycle path with that messed up a sense of priorities.

Thargor wrote: »
    You're just being deliberately thick, its been explained to you 50 times that its easier to stay on the smooth fast uninterrupted road and not have to wobble along over humps and bumps on a painted footpath covered in drains/lamposts/kerbs/bus stops and debris having to yield to every exit and driveway and you're claiming its the same for cars on Irish roads?

Stop talking sh!t, you're not even interested in making a coherent point, all that matters is you have the last word no matter how 100% wrong you are.

Stop expanding what I did say into what you think I said. I said that as a driver I have to prepare to yield in many situations that aren't marked by a Yield sign or a line on the road.

Do I think cyclists get a bum deal with undulating surfaces, if they're practicing to enter some TdF competetiton or similar then probably yes, but then again open streets arent where you're meant to practice for racing but as a casual commuter, scenic pleasure cyclist then not so much.

SeanW wrote: »

https://www.drivingtesttips.biz/creep-and-peep.html

If a driver approaching from a driveway or side road does not have good visibility, they may have to creep-and-peep. As a motorist approaching this, you should be observing anything like this and be prepared to accommodate someone who is doing so. The need for other road users to "creep and peep" may be behind some of those cycle lanes having yield signs. At any rate:

1) Accommodating another road user with limited visibility is just a good idea overall.
    2) Yield signs do not require you to stop unless there is someone to yield to - so if you're on a side street with 100 houses and 100 yield signs, you'll rarely have to stop because people aren't going in and out of their driveways all the time.

Ah but then you have to be prepared for the unexpected then, err, oh hmm, sorry that apparently only applies to multiple ton+ weight, killing machines. :rolleyes:

anyway, i'm not sure what road people are talking about above (in terms of bike lanes and yielding) but the cycle path past the airport road i think twice calls on cyclists to yield to motorists entering/leaving a pub car park. like **** will i use a cycle path with that messed up a sense of priorities.

As niner leprechaun said then , we can assume that you don't mind the traffic lights and crossings on the road then that other road users stop at when necessitated unlike others in the thread.
    R132-Google-Maps-2020-07-04-01-59-22.png

Or are you also a "have cake and eat it" cyclist that scorns cycle lanes but who will still use these "death trap" "inconvenient" "too many yields" cycle lanes that they scorn so much to get past the lights?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

07Lapierre wrote: »

Oh dear, picking on 78 year olds set in their way will really win you battles for better infrastructure. What are other strategies? Kicking an odd dog or stealing sweets from kids?

As niner leprechaun said then , we can assume that you don't mind the traffic lights and crossings on the road then that other road users stop at when necessitated unlike others in the thread.
    R132-Google-Maps-2020-07-04-01-59-22.png

why would i mind? they have the decency to grand me the same priority as other traffic on the main road.
    the notion that cyclists continuing straight on a main road - on what is often held up as a decent example of 'modern' cycle path design - should be given less priority than a car leaving a car park, speaks volumes.

anyway, why not address the issue of bad cycle lane design, instead of trying to get some passive dig in at me because of what you think other people may have said?

Anyway, let's get back to dangers on the road, if that's OK. Here's four of the drivers I spotted using their phones while driving in recent days. There was a few others that didn't come out well on camera.

Does anyone see any possible areas for improvement for drivers on Irish roads?

Tradesman holding phone at the wheel

518807.jpg

White van man holding phone to ear

518806.jpg

Army guy tapping dash mounted phone

518805.jpg

Young lady engrossed in typing out message while waiting at lights, blocking the bike box
    518808.jpg

Range Rover guy, holding phone in left hand for what looked like a hands-free call (sorry clarity isn't great)

518804.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭micar

07Lapierre wrote: »

In fairness, this is a non story as she can apply for a residents permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

give me some context to this, not including rush hour traffic where the traffic is at walking pace.
    how often do you think an irish motorist doing 50km/h (or even 30km/h) would stop for someone without right of way to let them out?

They shouldn’t as to do so causes an obstruction to traffic. People exiting residence or without priority at junctions to you wait for clear spaces. As many people drive in and reverse out, they often don’t wait for a space or even for someone to stop. On a daily basis, I encounter people reversing out unsighted on the basis that oncoming traffic will do an emergency stop.

My other bugbear in Dublin is the increasing number of drivers who use 4 way junctions to do a u-turn as if it was a roundabout.

Here's a little summary of a spin through Stillorgan this week, to help people get a feel for the frequency of obstructing footpaths by motorists. It's worth remembering the number of car parks in Stillorgan, most of them free;
    - main shopping centre
    - strip mall (Stillorgan Decor etc)
    - Overflow car park
    - Shops (Centra, Gotham etc)

Mum/son swap over driving duties on footpath / double yellows;

518811.jpg

Elderly lady squats on footpath / double yellow (ignoring the hint of the line of wands in front of her) at PTSB to make some notes on her bank receipts

518812.jpg

JC Decaux van blocks bus stop to make a phone call, adjacent to wide, empty car park

518813.jpg

Gardeners block footpath and bike lane to trim hedges - no safe path provided for pedestrians or cyclists

518814.jpg

Clio blocks footpath at pedestrian crossing, making it difficult for drivers to see people, especially kids using the crossing, and making it difficult for kids using the crossing to see traffic;

518815.jpg

Marcusm wrote: »
    As many people drive in and reverse out, they often don’t wait for a space or even for someone to stop.
    random aside, but there's a bus lane past our house. it's only happened maybe four times in seven or eight years, but i've had buses drive up my arse and try to bully me out of the bus lane when i'm trying to reverse into the driveway.
    i.e. i stop just past the driveway, stick the car in reverse, and the bus behind drives right up behind me and starts flashing at me to get out of the way. has led to some rather farcical exchanges with bus drivers ('you should have stuck your reversing lights on before you passed your driveway, to let me know')

And at Lower Kilmacud Road, we have the usual pile of pavement parkers, almost all at properties that have large, spacious driveways - so it's probably a case of taking the footpath for convenience, to save having to enter/exit the driveway - with the resulting lost of space for pedestrians trying to social distance and damage to footpaths and grass verges too.

518818.jpg

518819.jpg

518820.jpg

518821.jpg

518822.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Here's a little summary of a spin through Stillorgan this week, to help people get a feel for the frequency of obstructing footpaths by motorists. It's worth remembering the number of car parks in Stillorgan, most of them free;
    - main shopping centre
    - strip mall (Stillorgan Decor etc)
    - Overflow car park
    - Shops (Centra, Gotham etc)

JC Decaux van blocks bus stop to make a phone call, adjacent to wide, empty car park

518813.jpg

It's parked at a bus stop with an advertising poster, that's what they do. Common sense suggests he'll next get out and replace it or has just done so. Not disputing the others but all road users have to deal with that nonsense. No journey is as simple as pointing a wheel or wheels in the direction you want to go.

• Advertisement

Lr Kilmacud Road Part 2

518823.jpg

518824.jpg

518825.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement