Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A/R TT....Round 3 - 10min TT, 10k TT, 10m TT, Saturday July 4th

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Omeceron

Unfortunately I need to drop out of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭edinrunna

crisco10 wrote: »
    That's 4 (5 if you round down Edinrunna's very specific distance) 10 minuters with a target of 2.8km! what's so popular about that length??? I chose it a little (very) arbitrarily...

Mini battle there...:-)

For some reason I calculated 1.75 miles as 2,840m! I'll keep that as an optimistic prediction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Saturday definitely coming into focus now.

6 anticlockwise laps of the Polo Road Loop is the plan. Same loop I used for the 1M TT but this time I'll run the new 'runner' path on Chesterfield rather than running on the road.

6 take-stock and regroup descents of Chesterfield and 6 mental battles with the Lords Walk drag. If there are headwinds blowing I may need to find an alternative route.

Treating this as a PB attempt so hopefully will go under 38:38. Will adopt a negative split tactic. Going to be tough running this solo.

I rehearsed the opening 2 laps tonight. Hit my targets but don't feel any more nor less confident.

Looking forward to this (I think).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

I am so sorry to ask this. Its probably the stupidest question ever asked here :pac: but I'm having one of those pre-event mental hiccups.

My watch is set in miles right and all paces in recent months have been that way so I know where I am with them and whether I have room to push on. Actually cringing for myself here now :o

I want to keep it simple on Sat and finish when the watch tells me 10k is done. But keep the pace feedback in miles. Does that make any sense? :pac:

I've split the run in two and set a pace for each 5k on my watch. At the moment it says 'Run 5km - xx:xx to yy:yy min/mi. Run 5km - aa:aa to bb:bb min/mi

So that's it? On Sat, the watch will tell me the distance in KM (or at least beep when the 10k is done) but the pace feedback will be in miles? Admittedly I'm over complicating it, but I want to avoid any need for mental arithmetic or misinterpretations in mile 4 when I'm dying :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

So that's it? On Sat, the watch will tell me the distance in KM (or at least beep when the 10k is done) but the pace feedback will be in miles? Admittedly I'm over complicating it, but I want to avoid any need for mental arithmetic or misinterpretations in mile 4 when I'm dying

The setting on my watch for pace is separate to the workout setting. I had 5k in for that TT but didn't change anything with pace settings so still had it showing as pace per mile. If your watch is also a Garmin I can't imagine it would be any different for you :) enjoy and good luck!

• Advertisement

Thanks ReeReeg, I really appreciate the response.

Yeah..mine is a garmin and everything it's telling me is the same as yours.. So 5k at a per mile pace. I just wanted to make sure so thats not an extra battle I have to have with myself :pac:

Thanks again :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Quick one folks.

Tomorrow I'll update the table and start checking the names on Strava etc..
    Its last chance salo0n to go for it and stick a target up!

Anyone not on the table yet but posted don't worry I'll go through the thread and scoop up the updates and the drop outs :o

And 10 minute folks, its 10 minutes! I need to know what you did in 10 mins. So lets say you run 3k but do it in 10:06 and stop it at 10:06, I can't record that as a 10 minute result. Set your watch for 10 minutes!! You can run through it and have your watch on km splits so it will record 3kms for you anyway :p

P.S wheres Healy my apparent partner in crime?

Well if I have to pick a time, could you put me down for 1.12, no 1.10, no 1.12

1.12...put me down for 1.12 in the hope I don't see that at the end.

That's hours and minutes btw :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Quick one folks.

Tomorrow I'll update the table and start checking the names on Strava etc..
    Its last chance salo0n to go for it and stick a target up!

Anyone not on the table yet but posted don't worry I'll go through the thread and scoop up the updates and the drop outs :o

And 10 minute folks, its 10 minutes! I need to know what you did in 10 mins. So lets say you run 3k but do it in 10:06 and stop it at 10:06, I can't record that as a 10 minute result. Set your watch for 10 minutes!! You can run through it and have your watch on km splits so it will record 3kms for you anyway :p

P.S wheres Healy my apparent partner in crime?

How do you set your watch to do exactly 10 mins, my Garmin is so old you need to put coins in it to get it working!!!

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭crisco10

How do you set your watch to do exactly 10 mins, my Garmin is so old you need to put coins in it to get it working!!!

TbL

Not sure how old yours is, but I'm just setting up a workout with one element, run for 10 mins.

Similar to the setup for the 1mile TT...

Start the workout, start running, then the watch beeps and auto pauses at the end of the workout..ie. 10 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

TbL

And all the money you have........

crisco10 wrote: »
    Not sure how old yours is, but I'm just setting up a workout with one element, run for 10 mins.

Similar to the setup for the 1mile TT...

Start the workout, start running, then the watch beeps and auto pauses at the end of the workout..ie. 10 mins.

Thanks, I’ll have a look, I’ve a 910xt.

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

TbL

Should be grand. The watch may keep going beyond the 10 mins but you should have a split for the 10 mins. Test in advance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

One final mini session at the planned pace again yesterday. I think this one is going to hurt a lot if I even manage to hold it together for the 10 minutes. After finally cracking the mile last month I should be rewarding myself not inflicting more punishment :rolleyes:

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow anyway. Looking forward to the epic reports from the longer distances too.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

Good luck to everyone! Will be interesting to follow the different distances tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭MY BAD

One final mini session at the planned pace again yesterday. I think this one is going to hurt a lot if I even manage to hold it together for the 10 minutes. After finally cracking the mile last month I should be rewarding myself not inflicting more punishment :rolleyes:

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow anyway. Looking forward to the epic reports from the longer distances too.
    The lads who I train with and regularly race those distances always say 3000m is harder than 1500m/1mile

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

MY BAD wrote: »
    The lads who I train with and regularly race those distances always say 3000m is harder than 1500m/1mile
    Not what I wanted to hear :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭healy1835

Your absentee organiser just checking in here. Best of luck to everyone in the morning and thanks to Shotgun for ploughing on without me. I'll help out tomorrow with the results M :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

TbL

watch (excuse the pun!) this

Quick reminder that we will take results off Strava not results posted here.

Instead of that last TT lads advice to drink beer before your TT and give you kudos for doing so, I'm more health conscious and will advise you to get some SLEEP! Its likely to be wet and windy tomorrow and you will need all your mental resolve to do a TT in those conditions, especially the longer 10s.. :D

• Advertisement

Instead of that last TT lads advice to drink beer before your TT and give you kudos for doing so, I'm more health conscious and will advise you to get some SLEEP!

Hands down, the worst piece of running advice I’ve read on Boards!!!!!

OOnegative wrote: »

Which Part? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

I'm going to take that advice with a pinch of salt and a tequila

[URL="https

://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miUsWeUUwsQ"]watch (excuse the pun!) this[/URL]

thanks AM that was very helpful

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

I'm down for the ten miler but am now doing a virtual 5.6km race with work over the weekend instead

Is it ok to switch to the ten mins and take my first ten mins from this effort?

I'm down for the ten miler but am now doing a virtual 5.6km race with work over the weekend instead

Is it ok to switch to the ten mins and take my first ten mins from this effort?

Yes but make sure you have a 10min interval on Strava

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

Yes but make sure you have a 10min interval on Strava

Yup will do, thanks

Name |Cat|Event|Prediction|Actual|Adjusted|Sandbag Factor
    MrSkinny|M48|10mins|2,500m||||
    edinrunna|M26|10mins|2,840m||||
    Thebitterlemon|M53|10mins|2,500m||||
    Dubh Geannain|M37|10mins|3,001m||||
    Murph_D|M59|10k|44:59||||
    DeepBlue|M49|10k|43:54||||
    Treviso|M41|10miles|64.59||||
    Diablo Verde|M39|10miles|61:17||||
    Lazare|M44|10k|41:45||||
    spc78|M42|10miles|59:10||||
    Swashbuckler|M38|TBC|TBC||||
    66_Lad|M40|10miles|TBC||||
    ClashCityRocker|M35|10mins|2,900m||||
    blackbird86|F37|10k|54:59||||
    Laineyfrecks|F42|10k|43:10||||
    Hannibal_Smith|F43|10k|71:12||||
    pansophelia|F40|10k|54:59||||
    crisco10|M34|10mins|2,800m||||
    diego_b|M38|10k|45:00||||
    MisterJinx|M43|10mins|2,800m||||
    coogy|M47|10k|39.59||||
    Baby75|F44|10k|57:50||||
    Speedy44|M55|10mins|2,600m||||
    AuldManKing|M47|TBC|TBC||||
    Rizzee|M29|TBC|TBC||||
    Lambay Island|M39|10mins|3,001m||||
    CR 7|M31|10k|39:45||||
    outforarun|M47|10k|38:29||||
    ReeReeG|F34|10k|44:59||||
    Hedgehoggy|F37|10mins|2,410m||||
    jamule|M45|10miles|61:00||||
    Enpassant|M59|10K|47:59||||
    Reality_Check|M33|10k|54:59||||
    OOnegative|M41|10mins|2,800m||||
    MrMacPhisto|M38|10miles|59:50||||
    gucci|M36|10mins|2,800m||||

Ok thats the final table for tomorrows TT. Last call for last minute edits?
    TBCs highighted may do a TT tomorrow but no target = no result. I'll create a category for that :p

Go hard or go home tomorrow folks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Quick reminder that we will take results off Strava not results posted here.

Instead of that last TT lads advice to drink beer before your TT and give you kudos for doing so, I'm more health conscious and will advise you to get some SLEEP! Its likely to be wet and windy tomorrow and you will need all your mental resolve to do a TT in those conditions, especially the longer 10s.. :D

Whoops...too late ;)

• Advertisement

Missing from the Strava Thread (All who are not confirmed as DNS)

I know some names and others I tracked back through 1 mile and 5k TT (which was a bit of a pain). So unless Healy or I spot you in the Strava chat tomorrow with your time, you risk being omitted. Sorry..

Tbl
    Treviso
    spc78
    MisterJinx
    Baby75
    Rizzee
    AMK - not confirmed DNS :P
    Speedy44
    Lambay Island
    Enpassant

Whoops...too late ;)

You mean it’s past your bedtime or you’re already pissed :)

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

You mean it’s past your bedtime or you’re already pissed :)

TbL

Let's just say I'm having one or two pre race hydration bulmers :D

I'm always stressing the night before these things and tossing and turning the whole night.

This time, I'm trying a new tactic...I call it the Pre-race beers feck it approach...it's going well so far :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Missing from the Strava Thread (All who are not confirmed as DNS)

I know some names and others I tracked back through 1 mile and 5k TT (which was a bit of a pain). So unless Healy or I spot you in the Strava chat tomorrow with your time, you risk being omitted. Sorry..

Tbl
    Treviso
    spc78
    MisterJinx
    Baby75
    Rizzee
    AMK - not confirmed DNS :P
    Speedy44
    Lambay Island
    Enpassant

I'm out with an injury :( best of luck to everyone running

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

Im out today sorry guys can't shake an achilles I injury

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I'm trying to put together a mobile home and figure out how that works with a 2 year old and 9 month old.... I won't be running today lads. Best of luck/running to all.

Lambay Island of course first off the mark with the birds.
    Crushed it he did! First of the 3kers over the line

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

No bother to Lambay, up with the larks that lad.

Weak effort from me really. Way too fast up Chesterfield, then got slower...and slower...and slower. 2,349 metres, having targeted 2,501 :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭crisco10

Just home...sticky morning out there..

Will post more detail in my log in due course (can now be found here), but happy to have beaten my targeted 2800 by 30m. So 2830 was my distance.

Fairplay for beating 3k. Savage pace.

I am so happy! 1:10:17. I thought I was pushing my luck hoping for 1:10, put if I kept my cool, I might just get it. Maybe I could have found those 17 seconds somewhere and I'd be absolutely over the moon!!! But I'm not going to let that spoil today.

I can't thank all the organisers of these TTs enough. In the middle of this pandemic, when I'm sure you're all flat out with WFH, family life and your own running, you all clubbed together and put these events together for the good of everyone else. Fair play lads.

I always thought that when people said 'slow down', it was for the easy part of any training run. What I didn't twig, until I did the mile TT, is that you have to control the workout paces too. I may be able to hold on to a pace I like seeing on my watch for a 2 minute interval, but if I can only do a mile in 10:30, that's what I should be working off. So, although I was bitterly disappointed with the mile TT, I benefitted so so much from doing it. I spent 2015 thinking I was doing a terrible job and not improving (no disrespect to ecoli or whatever his name is now :D and his plan ), but when I look back at the workouts on Strava, I know now I was running everything way too fast plus sprinting through intervals so it's no wonder I had nothing to pull out of the bag when it came to race days and ended up like an angry little gremlin :D

Today, with the benefit of sorting my paces out in the training runs, I could go out and know I could take it all at a pace that was appropriate. I changed my route last minute to include the hills, because when I looked at my planned route it was way too downhill. So when the hills came I tackled them okay and when I tired I told myself that going uphill was not the time to be making judgement calls, so I kept my cool.

The paces I'd set I worked not to hit if it felt too comfortable, so I can't say I took any part conservatively, or was kind to myself at any stage. I began to waiver in mile 5 so I just blanked everything out and held on, and the benefit of all the tempo/threshold training runs came in to play. When I tried to push with half a mile to go, I started counting with a plan of just lashing all I had left in to it with quarter of a mile to go. But it flew in so fast (time wise) I lost track and left it too late, maybe that's where I would have got those 17 seconds! :pac:

But I'm delighted. I'm not where I was in 2015, but I'm certainly not where I was 10 weeks ago either!

Thanks for these TTs and for allowing a slow-mo like me to take part and for answering all the stupid queries :D I'll never regret putting my name in despite the results being way off where everyone else is.

I'll go donate now.

Best of luck everyone else running today!!

• Advertisement

No bother to Lambay, up with the larks that lad.

Weak effort from me really. Way too fast up Chesterfield, then got slower...and slower...and slower. 2,349 metres, having targeted 2,501 :pac:

I thought you were out injured so I removed you from the list. Sorry. Well done getting it done

I am so happy! 1:10:17. I thought I was pushing my luck hoping for 1:10, put if I kept my cool, I might just get it. Maybe I could have found those 17 seconds somewhere and I'd be absolutely over the moon!!! But I'm not going to let that spoil today.

I can't thank all the organisers of these TTs enough. In the middle of this pandemic, when I'm sure you're all flat out with WFH, family life and your own running, you all clubbed together and put these events together for the good of everyone else. Fair play lads.

I always thought that when people said 'slow down', it was for the easy part of any training run. What I didn't twig, until I did the mile TT, is that you have to control the workout paces too. I may be able to hold on to a pace I like seeing on my watch for a 2 minute interval, but if I can only do a mile in 10:30, that's what I should be working off. So, although I was bitterly disappointed with the mile TT, I benefitted so so much from doing it. I spent 2015 thinking I was doing a terrible job and not improving (no disrespect to ecoli or whatever his name is now :D and his plan ), but when I look back at the workouts on Strava, I know now I was running everything way too fast plus sprinting through intervals so it's no wonder I had nothing to pull out of the bag when it came to race days and ended up like an angry little gremlin :D

Today, with the benefit of sorting my paces out in the training runs, I could go out and know I could take it all at a pace that was appropriate. I changed my route last minute to include the hills, because when I looked at my planned route it was way too downhill. So when the hills came I tackled them okay and when I tired I told myself that going uphill was not the time to be making judgement calls, so I kept my cool.

The paces I'd set I worked not to hit if it felt too comfortable, so I can't say I took any part conservatively, or was kind to myself at any stage. I began to waiver in mile 5 so I just blanked everything out and held on, and the benefit of all the tempo/threshold training runs came in to play. When I tried to push with half a mile to go, I started counting with a plan of just lashing all I had left in to it with quarter of a mile to go. But it flew in so fast (time wise) I lost track and left it too late, maybe that's where I would have got those 17 seconds! :pac:

But I'm delighted. I'm not where I was in 2015, but I'm certainly not where I was 10 weeks ago either!

Thanks for these TTs and for allowing a slow-mo like me to take part and for answering all the stupid queries :D I'll never regret putting my name in despite the results being way off where everyone else is.

I'll go donate now.

Best of luck everyone else running today!!
    you are faster than millions who do nothing.

Well done and thank you for taking part with such a great attitude!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

dnf for me. Back problems the last week since i started to drive to work again. managed to get to 5k well on target before uncommon sense made me stop. Legs were happy to gp on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭EnPassant

Just finished - came in at 47.39, 20 seconds below my target, so very happy with that! My course was along the seafront in Clontarf, from the corner of Alfie Byrne road to a little bit up the causeway and back.

Aargh, just noticed, Strava says 9.98km while my watch says 10.02km ... I think I'll trust the watch!

Thanks for organizing - I'm really happy to have done it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭MrSkinny

Just back and tucking into some breakfast ... 1.5 miles on the nose for the 10' so 2.41 km, a fair bit below the 2.5 km target. Started well, just outside target pace until the mile mark and then, instead of picking it up as per the plan, started slowing down and the will to fight the hurt just wasn't there today. Oh well - onwards and upwards!

Thank you to the organisers and well done to everybody who is taking part today. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭CR 7

DNF for the 10k for me. It ended up as 10:06 on the watch and just over 2.5km when I stopped it so I might just try to trim the activity and pretend I was aiming for that!

After not being able to settle on a route all week I tried to pick the flattest/quietest route this morning over my pre-run coffee. I got to the start line feeling ok, just a little warm but my legs felt lighter than they have all week so I was confident of getting close to 40min at least. But then I got to 1km and my shirt was already drenched all the way through. The second km had the worst of the hills out of the whole route and that just had me at redline already. I tried to push through it and see if I could get back into a rhythm, but another slight dip and rise turned my legs to jelly and I just had to stop and use a tree to hold myself up for a few minutes.

I might chance it again in a few weeks depending on how the training goes.

Thanks for organising it anyway, it was still enjoyable somehow! That could just be the lack of racing talking though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

10 minutes 2,99x metres :eek:

Let me tell you. That hurt. Alot. From around a mile in the pain started. Somehow I held the pace for the most part but there was to be no kick in the last minute or the final 200.

Anyway, here they come :D
    Excuse the first: I misjudged my finish line. I ended up having to run out of the business park onto a pathless road to finish.
    Excuse the second: To make sure I got the 10 minute interval I switched off autolap on the watch so got no automatic splits. I thought I was off by two seconds though after the second km so it's not a real excuse. I had a pretty good idea where I was at. There was no way I was kicking on today even if I noted the split being down a little.
    Excuse the third: The second and hardest km was on a gentle upslope straight into the morning breeze for the entire km. I managed to not lose too much of my pace here but it sapped me.
    Final excuse: Aerobic base :pac:

Back in reality I got my 3k in 10:02. And I'm absolutely delighted to get so close. The doubter in me was secretly predicting 10:10s. Had to aim high though with the 10 minute target. I couldn't run it any faster than I gave it today as my legs are still reminding me. And I feel I'm already overachieving considering the mileage I put in weekly anyway. Better weather and a more tactical route i might just squeak it on current fitness levels but I'll tell you one thing it's going to take me at least a couple of days to recover fully.

And happy anniversary B.

And happy anniversary B.

Thanks N, a DNS for me!! I twisted my knee someway yesterday while getting off the bike. Pain is similar to prior having my botched knee operation, so I’m playing this one very cautiously. Great efforts out in the roads this morning, super to see folks. Big well done to M on flying this thread solo, the Kildare lad is still MIA!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭healy1835

Thanks N, a DNS for me!! I twisted my knee someway yesterday while getting off the bike. Pain is similar to prior having my botched knee operation, so I’m playing this one very cautiously. Great efforts out in the roads this morning, super to see folks. Big well done to M on flying this thread solo, the Kildare lad is still MIA!!

I'm active on Strava :) and some high level discussions are going on behind the scenes between Mike and myself. ;)

Unfortunately a DNS for me too

Well done some great times coming through

TbL

• Advertisement
Advertisement